PDA

View Full Version : ladies with type b and c..

Cleopatra18
May 11th, 2010, 02:52 PM
How do you manage to detangle your hair without further breakage/shedding??:confused::confused:
I soak my hair with conditioner,detangle from the bottom up using wide toothed comb.however you cant imagine the amount of shedding i get,i always get a big ball of hair :(:(
also,sometimes if i dont follow with a fine toothed comb,it's like my hair is not really detangled proberly.the wide toothed comb doesnt get all the shed hairs out,and they just stay till the next wash.however detangling my hair for the second time with the fine toothed comb results in another ball of hair...:mad:
I dont know if i'm doing it wrong or what,i do detangle about once a week or so,so thats probably the entire shedding of the week,since i lose about 10 hairs daily (on the days i dont detangle in).
also detangling the length of my hair is very easy (most of it is heat "trained",and turned into (i think) 2b hair aka stretched waves) ,while my new growth is much curlier and is defenitly in the "c" zone,and thats where my problem is really.its usualy very hard to get the tangles out of there.
is anyone having the similar situation?
do you detangle everyday to prevent this?
or you use another technique/trick?
i apologize for the long post,but i'm really sick of these hair balls i get everytime.TIA

manderly
May 11th, 2010, 04:25 PM
I only detangle in the shower, which is every 3-5 days or so. So I lose giant gobs of hair. But that's 3-5 days worth of shedding, so it's not a big deal :)

I wouldn't worry about it unless you are noticing your hair is becoming thin, otherwise it's just normal shedding that looks like massive hairloss.

EtherealOde
May 11th, 2010, 04:59 PM
You are probably just seeing the catch up in shedding, not more actual breakage and extra shedding. Unless you are hearing the snap and pop of hairs breaking when you detangle. I CO wash my hair, and detangle carefully before washing and after. I don't ever have problems detangling, but I detangle daily to keep ahead of snarls. I find the longer I go, the worse the tangles can become, so it makse sense for me to do this. I use my fingers and then a wide tooth comb, and lightly spritz my hair with water that has a little conditioner in it. The bottle is small, so I can make a fresh spray every day. Getting my hair damp refreshes the curl and the conditioner aids in removing tangles.

Burgundyhair
May 11th, 2010, 08:23 PM
It's normal to shed up to 100 hairs per day. I wouldn't worry about it if you're detangling only once per week. Try sneaking in another detangling session throughout the week if you can. See if that makes a difference.

Beets
May 11th, 2010, 09:40 PM
I also brush or detangle more frequently, maybe once every day or two days, because I've noticed that I get fewer breaks that way. But I only use a wide-toothed. I sometimes miss a few knots, but I just catch them the next time. Wide-toothed combs almost always result in too much tugging and shedding for me. I have more tangles in the hairs close to my neck, which are my curliest, but also the ones that rub on clothing and such; are you noticing that your "c" hairs are getting more or different wear than your others?

Gumball
May 11th, 2010, 11:11 PM
I'm not a lady, but my hair's sure in that range! I comb out my hair every day. Mainly it's because I put it up and having it combed out just makes my life easier, but it has the added benefit of not allowing any tangles or knots to build up into monsters. I'm as gentle as I can be, and sometimes it takes a while. What comes out comes out, whether it's shedding or accidental breakage. I do whatever I can to prevent it. Combing after an oiling makes it even easier for me, as my hair doesn't hold on to itself as easily.

Cleopatra18
May 12th, 2010, 11:00 AM
thanks for all the replies..unfortunately after detangling my hair REALLY GOOD yesterday,i did smt and slept with it overnight while my hair is in a bun...when i washed it today,i thought i would run a comb in it just to make sure everything is fine...and its like i did NOTHING yesterday!!
i can honestly say i have gone into a shedding period..the hair that came out was massive,and it wouldnt ever stop no matter how many times i ran the comb through my hair...
I am feeling extremly bad right now,i thought i would see some improvement in my next length check which is after about 2 weeks,but now i dont think i even wanna see how my hair would be.
i really dont do anything to damage/tangle my hair at all,i always oil it and put it in a bun,and thats it.
*sigh..*i guess the stress of the exams decided to finally kick in..

3azza
May 12th, 2010, 11:35 AM
my hair is 3 not 2a/b, but anyway i noticed that if i dont detangle with conditioner every other day, my hair turns into a big hair ball.

spidermom
May 12th, 2010, 11:58 AM
My last major shed was at end-summer 2005. I don't know what caused it, but since then I just don't get much shedding. I like to comb my hair at least twice a day to get the tangles out before I put it up for the day or for bed. The day before washing, I give it a good brushing and oiling.

Check your diet, water intake, exercise, and stress levels. Do whatever you can to optimize your health habits in those areas, and whatever caused the shedding should be corrected at the same time. Good luck!

Cleopatra18
May 12th, 2010, 12:18 PM
thanks spidermom,you're always very helpful.i have been excerising regularly for the past month,doing my best regarding diet and water intake...im really bad in dealing with stress though so i wouldnt be surprised if it's the cause.
i'll try using garlic infused oils to see if they do any help.meanwhile ill just *try* to be optimistic.

Messyhair
May 12th, 2010, 07:40 PM
I detangle twice a day... once in the morning and once before bed. I do it bottom to top (ends to roots), and only use a wide-toothed wooden comb. It still tends to look disheveled (hence my screen name) but tangles aren't a problem. I do tend to get out about 100 hairs per day, but that's normal for me and not due to damage.