PDA

View Full Version : Moisture!

DaniiL
May 11th, 2010, 01:26 PM
What is the best way/thing to do to give the hair moisture?
Give me your best tips!

bunnii
May 11th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I use olive oil for moisture, on damp hair, that's how I do it. Why don't you want oil?

EtherealOde
May 11th, 2010, 01:28 PM
SMT all the way.

Look in the very important threads sticky in Recipes Henna and Herbal Hair Care, there are some great things in there. That's where I found the SMT recipe and it is wonderful. The basic recipe is 4 parts conditioner, 1 part honey, 1 part aloe. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

The thread gives extra info, such as which conditioners work the best and some variations on the recipe.

DaniiL
May 11th, 2010, 01:31 PM
I guess I don't have anything against oil... :D So I'll remove that!

DaniiL
May 11th, 2010, 01:38 PM
I think I'll go out and buy some Aloe Vera gel and try the SMT. It'll be interesting!
Thanks!

chopandchange
May 11th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Is your hair of a low or high porosity? I think it's important to know when you are trying to get moisture into it.

For me personally, what works best is a cone-free conditioner (diluted) applied to dry hair and left on for a good while before washing.

Oil doesn't do anything for my hair, other than make it oily. :twocents:

Everyone's hair is different, so try experimenting with all the different suggestions (one at a time), to find what works best for you.

Kathie
May 11th, 2010, 01:44 PM
I'm a fan of coconut oil and CO-washes... they've really helped with my dry highlighted ends.

bunnii
May 11th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Ah right, I thought maybe your hair hated oil or something :p

FrannyG
May 11th, 2010, 03:18 PM
My favourite moisturizing deep conditioner is just plain cone-free conditioner and honey. I don't bother with the aloe gel, because for whatever reason, it doesn't suit my hair. This is another example of how we're all so different. Most people here have good success with aloe vera gel.

If you're going to do a deep moisture treatment like an SMT or a variation of it, make sure that if you're using cones you clarify first, or the moisture treatment won't penetrate. You can use your coney conditioner (if you use cones) after the moisture treatment is rinsed out.

I have found that CO washing has greatly improved the moisture in my hair as well.

Also, I do use jojoba oil on my ends when my hair is almost dry. I just use a total of about six drops--2 drops on each side and 2 drops for the back. This does seem to seal in the moisture and keeps my ends nice and smooth, but doesn't make it look oily.

Sometimes as a pre-treatment before a regular CO washing, I'll do a deep oiling with coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil.

I'm sure you'll find an idea in this thread that will work for you.

Best of luck. :blossom:

Kristin
May 11th, 2010, 05:22 PM
If you are OK with 'cones, Loreal's Mega Moisture deep conditioner is amazing. I also really love NightBlooming's Panacea salve. I got my first order last week and have used it EVERY DAY. SMT's are OK. For me, they aren't really more moisturizing than any other DT.

You just need to try stuff out and figure it out for yourself.:)

aksown
May 11th, 2010, 08:28 PM
CO washes and the occasional SMT are the ticket to my curlies. Oils don't really do anything for me and coconut oil especially hates my hair.

Mae
May 12th, 2010, 08:04 PM
When my ends feel dry, I like to use a few drops of serum (like FX Silk Drops). It is basically just "cone-juice," but I find it softens my ends better than anything else I've tried so far.

Serums may not actually moisturize, however, but just give the illusion of moisture. I am rather ignorant when it comes to the science of hair (I'm learning, slowly and steadily :)) I'm just going by feel.

Meagan
May 12th, 2010, 08:05 PM
I just use coconut oil and moisterising shamppoo and condioner

May
May 12th, 2010, 08:08 PM
I like using Sebastian's Potion #9...amazing stuff.

redneckprincess
May 12th, 2010, 08:29 PM
CO and weekly conditioning treatments

Yozhik
May 12th, 2010, 08:45 PM
FrannyG -- I do exactly the same thing: just cheap $1 conditioner and honey! It makes a nice, somewhat liquidy substance that I rub all over my hair :)

Loreley
May 12th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Oiling hair when it's wet can help seal the moisture in. I always do that and it works! :D

Gwendolene
May 13th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Coconut oil left on overnight before I wash it out, and then a thin coat afterward on my damp ends.

Bethie
May 13th, 2010, 06:38 AM
FrannyG -- I do exactly the same thing: just cheap $1 conditioner and honey! It makes a nice, somewhat liquidy substance that I rub all over my hair :)

I do this too, it seems to work well.

fashionaddict
May 14th, 2010, 03:48 AM
SMTs and a little oil to the ends afterwards! Shiny, soft and moisturized hair:D

CO washing has also helped my hair a lot. Before I started CO washing the ends of my hair were "crunchy" (also known as velcro I believe) and had a lot more splits.