PDA

View Full Version : I know I have to use conditioner, but..

Domino
May 11th, 2010, 11:46 AM
I know I have to use conditioner since I'm BSL now, but every conditioner I have used (and I've tried a lot) made my hair feel coated even after rinsing for 2 minutes. Either coated, oily or waxy...and I always touch my hair and I can feel the residue on my hands. Because of this I cannot use any conditioner and I'm getting splits :(

Do you fellow hair lovers get this too or have you found a solution to this?

TIA!

spidermom
May 11th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Try putting on the conditioner first, then wash your scalp area, and rinse. I do this myself in the summertime because my hair tends to go completely limp when it's hot and humid. This little trick gives me the benefits of conditioner without leaving behind anything to weigh down my hair even more.

EtherealOde
May 11th, 2010, 12:01 PM
You probably have been trying coney conditioners, and that's why you feel that coating. Try a cone free product and see if it makes a difference. Your shampoo might also be coney, which would mean no matter what you use as a conditioner, you will have that coated feel. What products are you currently using, and what conditioners have you tried?

For me, I don't use shampoo very often. I am a CO washer, using a cone free conditioner. The two main products I use to clean my hair are Whole Foods 365 brand unscented (inexpensive at 4.99 a quart) and Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose (eek, expensive but great for deep conditioning and I love it). My hair never feels coated in any way, even when I leave some in for extra conditioning.

kdaniels8811
May 11th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Check out the catnip tea thread. It kept my fine hair from splitting and is really easy to use. Just search for "catnip tea" or I can let you know how I use it. Got to run, doctor appointment!

Domino
May 11th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Spidermom, I'll try putting conditioner on first when I wash again. Hopefully it'll make a difference.

EtherealOde, I live in Turkey and unfortunately the only cone free conditioner I can find here is Nature's Gate and that causes cysts on my shoulders :mad: I limit my usage of cones to water soluble ones :o

kdaniels8811, can you please let me know how you use it? I wash 3 times a week and I'm afraid it might become a burden.

Rivanariko
May 11th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Catnip tea would be my suggestion too. There's a thread about it in natural hair-care, but everyone seems to do something different. I just soak my length by holding the cup up behind my head for a few minutes in the shower, then dump it over my head to get the rest. Let it sit for a few minutes while I shave or do something else, then rinse it out. The only "troublesome" part is remembering to brew the tea an hour before I'm going to shower, but a lot of people brew it up in advance and refrigerate it. You can find lots of advice over at the thread.

Domino
May 11th, 2010, 02:21 PM
I just found out that catnip is not sold in my country :( Too bad, I really started to like the idea :mad:

melikai
May 11th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Can you find Garnier Triple Nutrition in Turkey? We have it here, and we have almost none of the products available in the U.S. The conditioner and the treatment are both cone-free.

Also, you don't have to use conditioner. If it doesn't work for your hair, then try going without, and just use a gentle shampoo on your scalp only. If you need something for your ends, you can try using a bit of oil instead. My boyfriend has mid-back length hair and doesn't need conditioner - in fact, his hair is softer and smoother without it!

Quixii
May 11th, 2010, 02:58 PM
You know, I got the same feeling when I used these two conditioners. They did have cones in them, but I had used cone-containing conditioners in the past with no problem. They both had other ingredients in common, which I realized I had not previously used: poly-quats and, I'm pretty sure, protein. I stopped using those conditioners, and the feeling went away.
So there could be other ingredients that you need to avoid. :shrug:
Plus, I know that not everyone uses conditioner at all. My hair definitely prefers it, but some people's hair doesn't.

Calista
May 11th, 2010, 03:10 PM
I quit using conditioner when I swizched to washing with shampoo bars, and only reintroduced them into my routine once my hair reached hip or so. You can definitely try going without conditioner! I use vinegar rinses to make my hair soft and tangle-free.

FrannyG
May 11th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Try doing a final rinse with a pitcher of water with a couple of teaspoons of Apple Cider Vinegar. You can adjust the amount of vinegar that you use, but I do find that it really helps get rid of the residue.

Also, try to make sure that you rinse for long enough. I usually rinse for about 2 and a half to 3 minutes.