PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyles for Outdoor Activities

Braidmaid
May 11th, 2010, 07:42 AM
As warmer weather approaches, what hairstyles do you use for outdoor activities?
I love to backback, sail, kayak, and go camping. My go to hairstyle is usually two braids, Native American style, or a single braid, covered by a big, floppy hat. This works pretty well for my almost tailbone length hair.
What do you do?

jackiesjottings
May 11th, 2010, 08:10 AM
I do a very simple updo. Tie hair in a high up ponytail and then braid it and fasten the lower end of the braid. Put some sort of clip in my hair, usually a spring clip. Wrap the braid round the clip, tuck the end in, and put a few hair grips in to hold it. It seems to stay all day. I used to do a lot of hiking when I was younger and that was how I would do my hair to go out walking.

Tracionera
May 11th, 2010, 08:35 AM
If I have time, I will put a crown braid in. After clipping up the tail, it stays in so securely all day and even more if you don't mind some fly-away strands. It so great for hot weather as it gets all of my hair off my back and neck. I also get a lot of compliments!

I'm trying to learn how to braid it so the hair within the crown appears neater. I've mastered Torrin Paige's crown braid (thanks Torrin!) but would love to learn how to braid inner hair like pictured below. I just can't seem to figure out how to start the braid seamlessly....

http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/images/Examples/crowns/FrCwnAmd2.jpg

AJoifulNoise
May 11th, 2010, 08:38 AM
I do a cinnabun held with lots of little clips and then cover that with a bandanna. I clip the back of the bandanna down so my hair is completely covered.

TiaKitty
May 11th, 2010, 08:42 AM
That picture above is lovely!!! I have been doing a crown braid, adding hair in only on one side, like a lace braid, I guess... That one looks like they have added from both sides.

I have problems getting the hair in the middle of the crown to look neat, too. I also can't decide if I look better with the crown high in the back or low in the back... I guess I should do it both ways, post pictures, and take a vote?

A couple of days ago I went out to the garden and put my hair in two english braids, then I looped them each behind my head, up and over, and tucked the tails behind each opposite ear... clear as mud... But then I put a hat on top, and the hat stayed and my hair stayed up. When I took the hat off, the hair stayed in that position for quite a few hours afterwards! No pins or clips, just hatted on and tucked behind my ears. It was so cool!

ButterCup02
May 11th, 2010, 08:47 AM
I usually just 2 braids and a hat :) Easy and fast!

mustpannkook
May 11th, 2010, 09:06 AM
I usually put mine in a ponytail because I have layers (which I hate and I'm growing them out) and my hair won't stay in braids well..

Angeletti
May 11th, 2010, 09:58 AM
a dutch braid works for me and if I'm out in the sun a hat is a must because I don't want my color to fade

restourceful
May 11th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Some sort of a low bun with a stick or amish pins covered by a bandana under a wide brimmed hat, for the most part. Sometimes a french braid, sometimes two. I'm trying to stay away from anything elastic, though.

I'm gonna have to look up Torrin's crown braid. That looks awesome!

EtherealOde
May 11th, 2010, 12:02 PM
In the summer I like ribboned braids. I can tie off the braids with the ribbon instead of using elastics, and can tie up the braids on my head with the ribbons too. It makes it a lot easier for me to wear hats this way.