PDA

View Full Version : small successes with washing

Kristina713
May 10th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Hi all,
I thought I'd share a small hair success. I joined LHC about a month ago and I have just started experimenting with new washing techniques. I have had BSL hair for years, but was never able to get it any longer (the ends were too damaged and always needed to be trimmed). I had always just done a regular S-C every second day. My hair was always so greasy by the end of the day after washing, and my ends were still dry and breaking off. I always used the heaviest conditioners I could find but to no avail. After finding this forum, I switched to CWC, and also started using coconut oil and shea butter. I bought some SLS-free shampoo and some cone-free conditioner. My hair looked marginally better, but not much. So then I decided to try CO. Last week I CO-ed every day (I was afraid of it getting greasy for work if I waited more than a day). What a difference! My hair was so much softer and silkier and, to my amazement, not greasy at all. Then, on Saturday, I was at the Farmer's Market and came across a vendor selling handmade shampoo bars. I bought one. Saturday night I oiled my hair heavily and then on Sunday morning I washed my scalp with the shampoo bar, conditioned my ends, and ended with a ACV rinse. My hair felt kind of fly-away and fluffy afterwards, but not bad. Anyway, after that long story, here's the small success: it's Monday night and normally, by now, my hair would look and smell really greasy. But, instead, it still looks and smells nice and clean. Not greasy at the scalp at all. It's also shiny and manageable, and even the ends are smooth and tangle-free. I guess my scalp has started to produce less oil and meanwhile the ends seem to be more moisturized. It's great to actually see a noticeable result. I'm not sure what has made the difference, but I'm feeling good. I think I'll try CO every second day this week and see how it goes. I had honestly believed that BSL was terminal for me. Now I'm starting to have hope that I can actually get longer. Thanks LHC!

clichepithet
May 10th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Yay! :D It gets better, as you become more obsessive. :cheer:

Bethie
May 11th, 2010, 05:20 AM
Hurray!! It is always nice to hear a success story :)

Jenn of Pence
May 11th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Wow, that sounds so much like me! I've been bsl for ages and never did anything special for my hair. In fact, heat styled it and that most likely contributed to the constant trimming and no gain. Now that I've been at LHC for almost a month, I have hope that bsl isn't it for me; I guess only time will tell if my new routines are paying off. I've always really wanted waist-length :)
Good luck in your quest!

Henrietta
May 19th, 2010, 05:26 AM
(...) I have just started experimenting with new washing techniques. I have had BSL hair for years, but was never able to get it any longer (the ends were too damaged and always needed to be trimmed). I had always just done a regular S-C every second (I did every third)day. My hair was always so greasy by the end of the day after washing, and my ends were still dry and breaking off. I always used the heaviest conditioners I could find but to no avail. After finding this forum, I switched to CWC, and also started using coconut oil and shea butter.(...) Now I'm starting to have hope that I can actually get longer. Thanks LHC!

That's exactly like me!
This week I am dropping cones and I will think about CO after claryfying.
And I used to think that BSL is terminal for me too because my damage ends won't let me grow longer.
Good luck in your journey!