PDA

View Full Version : pollution and hair loss

Sally
May 8th, 2008, 08:34 AM
We've had threads here before about whether people today, on average, have less luxuriant hair than they did in the past, on average. Here's an item from today's newspaper that adds to the debate:

"A British study, published in the Jouranl of Investigative Dermatology, suggests men living in polluted areas are more likely to go bald than those who enjoy a cleaner atmosphere. Baldness is known to be hereditary, but the research indicates that environmental factors could worsen hair loss. The authors of the study believe toxins and carcinogens found in polluted air can stop hair from growing by blocking the production of protein that builds tresses."

I don't imagine that the stress hormones released and sustained when you live in constantly noisy, busy environments (as I do and have all my life) help either.

Babyfine
May 8th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I've read in several places that people are presenting with pattern baldness, both men and women, earlier than they did in the past.
For example, men didn't start balding until they were well into middle age, but now it can be as young as 20's(my paster is going bald and he's young, only 28)
With women hair thinning used to happen after menopause but now it's 30's 40's so claims the article I read.
I have no idea whether this is actually true, or not, but I'm sure there could be many causes, diet, toxins, metals, ect. could certainly not be helping
I've been trying to use more natural styling products as well, in case this is a factor.
MY hair is thinner than my mom's was at my age but this could be heriditary.
'

<She>
May 8th, 2008, 09:05 AM
That claim makes a lot of sense. The human body is being polluted both from the inside - the diet one eats, the air it breaths, and the outside - blocking the pores. And I think it has also an effect on the wrinkling of the skin, 70 years ago I suppose there weren't many 25yr-olds with wrinkled skin.

girlcat36
May 8th, 2008, 09:07 AM
This is so interesting!
I started thinning at age 25. I do not live in a polluted area, but I do have alot of allergies and chemical sensitivities.

Sally
May 8th, 2008, 09:07 AM
I've read in several places that people are presenting with pattern baldness, both men and women, earlier than they did in the past.
For example, men didn't start balding until they were well into middle age, but now it can be as young as 20's(my paster is going bald and he's young, only 28)
With women hair thinning used to happen after menopause but now it's 30's 40's so claims the article I read.
I have no idea whether this is actually true, or not, but I'm sure there could be many causes, diet, toxins, metals, ect. could certainly not be helping
I've been trying to use more natural styling products as well, in case this is a factor.
MY hair is thinner than my mom's was at my age but this could be heriditary.
'

Yes, I'll bet those are all plausible factors. What I found interesting about the study was not just that it offers clear evidence of change, which we've debated here, but that it links the change to something about living in polluted areas, i.e., big urban centres. Lots and lots of ways I can think that city living might be a factor (higher pollution, higher stress, foods that have had to travel long distances, etc.).

Babyfine
May 8th, 2008, 09:23 AM
This is so interesting!
I started thinning at age 25. I do not live in a polluted area, but I do have alot of allergies and chemical sensitivities.

I had a noticable shed somewhere in my20's, too.
Could have been hormones as I started on BCP's around that time
or products.
My hair has always been fine, but in my teens hairdressers always told me I had a lot of it.
In my 20's I lost about 1/3 of my voume or maybe more over a few years.
And it wasn't just me who noticed, either. A relative who used to trim my hair for me noticed.
So I started getting perms about then for volume(plus it was the style)
I have thinning temples which are improving somewhat with some of the many things I do- but my Mom didn't have that at my age(51) She had a nice head of hair, then. But then again, my hair has always been finer than hers, and my paternal grandma had very thin hair at 94 when she died (scalp showed through)
I hope I don't have THOSE genes LOL!!!