PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice! My hair is changing!!!

Estrellita
May 8th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Hello there my fellow LHC'ers!

I haven't posted in a long while but always enjoy spending hours in this forum!!!:D

Right, when I first joined my hair was bsl and after several experiments and trims during the last 2 and a half years, (to getr rid of my very bleached, dry, and damaged lenght), my hair is now waist lenght.

I have tried all sorts of things, such as wo, co, cwc, oiling, dt's...etc and my hair has improved dramatically, and my routine now is quite simple, a deep oiling a week with coconut oil, and s&c with both cone and no cone products (depending on my mood).

Nonetheless, although my hair is very very shiney, it has lost most of its curls, and I really do not know why. It its kind of 2c now instead of the usual 3a-3b i used to have, and that is only the first day i wash it, as by the second one my curles have deflated to a 2a-2b....this is really driving me nuts!

Im thinking it may be due that I need to layer my hair (which would be a pain, to be honest, this is the longest I've ever had it and I do love the lenght), to make it less heavy and give at bit of volume, because it has never been flatter. It is already layered but maybe this are too heavy or long???

Any advice is welcome!!! Thanks:bottomsup:

spidermom
May 8th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Using either aloe vera gel or styling gel and twirling my hair around my fingers while it's drying really amplifies my curl.

GlennaGirl
May 8th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I just wanted to say that my hair type changed between my 20s and my 30s. I went from having slight waves to having very very straight hair.

That's not to say you'll go all straight! I started out straighter than you so I'm certain you won't wind up a 1a, heh heh. Definitely try SM's tips to encourage your wave. She's a wavy-curly so she knows. I know I got years more out of my wave by not manipulating it much. In other words, I stopped combing while wet. I started just very gently finger-combing or "arranging". If you can get away with that without ending up tangled, give it a shot.

But I did want to point out that it is possible for hair type to change. It's okay...because you'll get lots of tips here on how to encourage it back toward curls. ;) (Secret tricks of the trade!)

AutumnLeaves
May 8th, 2008, 10:02 AM
I would guess it probably hasn't changed as much as it is the length and lack of layers that have weighed down the curl. Layering it will definitely pop up some of the curl, but layers are so hard to grow out! I think SpiderMom's advice is worth a try or you could also try plopping for a different look. Think hard about cutting layers into it (I have always regretted that move), but of course, it is up to you too! No matter what you decide, I have to tell you how envious I am of your length! I cannot seem to even get to my shoulders (it is slow growing lately)!

Nynaeve
May 8th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Using either aloe vera gel or styling gel and twirling my hair around my fingers while it's drying really amplifies my curl.

I agree on this.
Also, when I use a spray bottle filled with goodies (based on Kimberlily's aloe spray) it makes my hair happier in the curl factor.

Estrellita
May 8th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Thanks all of you for your support and advice...I used to mix my jojoba or coconut with aloe gel to make a pomade and that worked quite well at defining, which is great, but is not really necessary when there are no curls to define....all my life wanting straight hair and now that its getting there I really want my curls back. I'll update you all if there is anything that changes or if i find a non cutting way to keep them springy!!!
Thank you all once again!!!