PDA

View Full Version : 5 Months Progress & Color Question!

loralie
May 10th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm at 5 months (documented) progress here at LHC! I've put together a somewhat crappy timeline, apologize for the different poses but I think there's still definitely a good amount of growth!

:cheese:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/rockyousteady/hair/IMG_0452-1-1.jpg

And here's a bigger one of May
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/rockyousteady/hair/IMG_0452-1.jpg

I had just done a molasses SMT and my hair was so so soft and shiny, delish! I've obviously got alot of layers to get through but I think my longest are at APL!? Yesh? No?

I also had a question about hair around the face.

I'm a natural medium-dark ash brunette. Does anyone else with darker hair notice they have blonde-very light coloured hair growing around their temples and forehead-hairline???

It's hard to capture it exactly, but here's what I mean. This is the top of my head, roots are slightly lighter than the faded black on my length, but not yellow or too light, right?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/rockyousteady/hair/IMG_0439.jpg

This is my temple hair... noticeably lighter and.. yellower?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/rockyousteady/hair/IMG_0428-1.jpg

Hereditary thinned temples... but look how blonde it is!?!?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/rockyousteady/hair/IMG_0434.jpg

Does anyone else have this? Or any input? I've read a bit about light hair being a precursor to hair loss but it doesn't run in the family and I haven't noticed any drastic shedding. Is it natural highlighting?

I'm having such a great time here, you guys are all so incredibly nice and interesting and my hair is probably in the best shape of it's life. I went home for a week and my Mom couldn't stop gushing about how healthy and shiny it looked... I'm so proud I've stuck with this and it shows, Thank you all!

Oh, a Fidel Catstro & Tucker for your time! They're bffs

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/rockyousteady/IMG_0426.jpg

Kathie
May 10th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Your hair looks great! So nice and shiny. Also, it seems to have thickened up a lot over 5 months :disbelief:
Are you going to keep the V-shaped hem-line? I like it- I’m thinking of doing something similar as mine grows.

Cupofmilk
May 10th, 2010, 01:30 PM
I love the picture of your cat and dog - how cute!

You have beauttiful hair - gosh it appears to have grown lots in 5 months!

I am new to this but I think your longest layers look APL to me!

Well done - keep going at it. I hope I can make as much progress as you.

Pandora.
May 10th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Wow, there's such a difference in length and thickness!
Good job and keep going. :D :D

loralie
May 10th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Your hair looks great! So nice and shiny. Also, it seems to have thickened up a lot over 5 months :disbelief:
Are you going to keep the V-shaped hem-line? I like it- I’m thinking of doing something similar as mine grows.

Thank you! I've worked hard ;) Well, the V-shape is really just what's left of my shag-mullet-nightmare. I'm not planning on losing the layers entirely but for sure once I get to waist/tailbone (granted I make it!!! fingers crossed) I may trim to make the difference in layers less drastic... but I love fairytale ends and I think this shape will look better the longer it gets!

I love the picture of your cat and dog - how cute!

You have beauttiful hair - gosh it appears to have grown lots in 5 months!

I am new to this but I think your longest layers look APL to me!

Well done - keep going at it. I hope I can make as much progress as you.

Thank you so much! :o I'm pretty suprised it's come as far as it has, I've never made the conscious effort to grow it before and I'm really happy so far but want it longerrrrrrr! Haha

Wow, there's such a difference in length and thickness!
Good job and keep going. :D :D

Thanks Pandora! Alot if it has to do with not dyeing, not blow drying, and not straightening. I know you have bleach damage and I too have it near the bottoms and though they'll never get better than they are (I do protect them and oil them well) the new growth and length is getting so much better! It was hard to let go of the flatiron but my hair feels WAY better than when I ironed it straight! Happy growing to you too :)

Heidi_234
May 10th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Such a great progress, congrats! :D

I have lighter hairs around my face, near the ears, above the forehead and so on. :agree:

Garnet66
May 10th, 2010, 02:04 PM
You've made such great progress in five months. Your hair has grown A LOT, great job growing!

oceanwoman111
May 10th, 2010, 02:09 PM
I'm a natural medium-dark ash brunette. Does anyone else with darker hair notice they have blonde-very light coloured hair growing around their temples and forehead-hairline???[/B]

It's hard to capture it exactly, but here's what I mean. This is the top of my head, roots are slightly lighter than the faded black on my length, but not yellow or too light, right?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/rockyousteady/hair/IMG_0439.jpg

This is my temple hair... noticeably lighter and.. yellower?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/rockyousteady/hair/IMG_0428-1.jpg

Hereditary thinned temples... but look how blonde it is!?!?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/rockyousteady/hair/IMG_0434.jpg

Does anyone else have this? Or any input? I've read a bit about light hair being a precursor to hair loss but it doesn't run in the family and I haven't noticed any drastic shedding. Is it natural highlighting?

Congrats!!!! Your hair looks beautiful!!!

I have exactly the same thing!! A lot of really blonde pieces, in my naturally dark brown hair, growing exactly in the same place as yours. I noticed it when I stopped semi-glazing my hair. I think it might be a result of taking really good care of my hair and not putting chemical color in it. Also, I stopped doing heat styling.

It might be, and this is just wishful thinking, but I'm thinking it's NEW HAIR GROWTH!!!!!! :cheer: It is happening to me in spots that had thinned out after a surgery and now seem to be filling in. I hope someone has insight into this. It may also be natural highlights because I remember before I started to put color in people would ask me "Who does your highlights?" I would say "Nobody, that's just my hair." Especially in the summer.

Thanks a lot for posting. :)

loralie
May 10th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Such a great progress, congrats! :D

I have lighter hairs around my face, near the ears, above the forehead and so on. :agree:

Thanks Heidi! Phew on the colours. I really have been dyeing my hair for too long!

You've made such great progress in five months. Your hair has grown A LOT, great job growing!

Thank you Garnet! :o You're too sweet!

I have exactly the same thing!! A lot of really blonde pieces, in my naturally dark brown hair, growing exactly in the same place as yours. I noticed it when I stopped semi-glazing my hair. I think it might be a result of taking really good care of my hair and not putting chemical color in it. Also, I stopped doing heat styling.

It might be, and this is just wishful thinking, but I'm thinking it's NEW HAIR GROWTH!!!!!! :cheer: It is happening to me in spots that had thinned out after a surgery and now seem to be filling in. I hope someone has insight into this. It may also be natural highlights because I remember before I started to put color in people would ask me "Who does your highlights?" I would say "Nobody, that's just my hair." Especially in the summer.

Thank you! I thought I was losing it and couldn't see properly anymore. For my temples I do use castor oil and it's really helped to sprout new stuff there! Stress of surgery for sure can make you lose hair but I'm happy it's growing back for you!

I'm excited for the patches to grow out then, I think the variation will look really pretty someday! :D

tokidokichi
May 10th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Your hair looks like it has grown pretty fast! Congratulations ^__^

vintersaga
May 10th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Your hair has grown so much, loralie! :flower::)

Sunny_side_up
May 10th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Fantabulous growth there:cheese:

Your hair looks lovely and healthy, Growing out those multi length layers like mine, you certainly got movement and the layers add a cool difference to your style.
Those two are sooo cute :heart:

loralie
May 10th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Your hair looks like it has grown pretty fast! Congratulations ^__^

Thank you! I'm pushing them out as hard as I can! XD

Your hair has grown so much, loralie! :flower::)

You're too sweet, thank you! I never feel like it's getting any longer but pictures help!

Fantabulous growth there:cheese:

Your hair looks lovely and healthy, Growing out those multi length layers like mine, you certainly got movement and the layers add a cool difference to your style.
Those two are sooo cute :heart:

Hey Sunny, thanks for the cheese! :D
I know, the layers... I love yours though, you seem to have more wave than I do and I think it helps when growing different lengths. It's crazy to think that the top layer was above ear length once upon a time, so they do grow!
Haha I have 2 other cats but Fidel and his littermates were rescued young and he's imprinted on Tucker and still thinks he's his momma... Haha! They snuggle all the time.

Hana
May 10th, 2010, 04:07 PM
One. Your hair has grown lovely thick and shiny. :D

Two. YES I GET BLOND BITS ON MY HAIRLINE. and baby short bits. it drives me nuts, haha. but then, i was blond til I was 2, and my hair does get lighter in the sun. So I kinda just deal with it.

EtherealOde
May 10th, 2010, 04:12 PM
I have lighter hair in those areas too, and always have. Of course, now I have a lot of grey in those areas, but I can still easily see the difference in color in the non-grey hairs compared to the rest of my head. Congrats on the growth, if it continues you will be really long fast!

Mae
May 10th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Congratulations on reaching APL! You've had a lot of growth and it looks great! :)

ali beast
May 10th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Hi! Your progress looks great!

I think having variation in hair color is totally normal. I think temple hair is different from head hair for a lot of people- like, lots of fine hairs that stay short, weird curls that poof out, or lighter color, etc. It could just be the transitional hair between face hair to head hair, you know?

You used to dye/bleach a lot, right? Me too :) It's fun discovering what my hair does when it's not being chemically tormented... Also, I never really did, like, *realistic* colors... so I got used to my hair being a uniform shade of black, or blue or whatever. Now I've got all these natural highlights and stuff. So maybe it's an adjustment period for us, finding out what our hair does by itself, and getting used to it :D

GoddesJourney
May 10th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Nice growth for just five months. I really love your color. By the way, I get lighter areas, too. I find that the area around my face has finer hair and it bleaches in the sun easier than the coarser stuff. Also, it has more access to the sun when my hair is pulled back regularly. Maybe this is the case with you. Nothing wrong with free highlights, though.

loralie
May 10th, 2010, 05:57 PM
One. Your hair has grown lovely thick and shiny. :D

Two. YES I GET BLOND BITS ON MY HAIRLINE. and baby short bits. it drives me nuts, haha. but then, i was blond til I was 2, and my hair does get lighter in the sun. So I kinda just deal with it.

1. Thank you!!
2. SEE BUT I WAS NEVER BLONDE! It's just slightly perturbing. Haha. I actually like it though, I think it'll look neat grown out!

I have lighter hair in those areas too, and always have. Of course, now I have a lot of grey in those areas, but I can still easily see the difference in color in the non-grey hairs compared to the rest of my head. Congrats on the growth, if it continues you will be really long fast!

I'm actually kind of hoping it will turn silver... (my mother and her mother both don't have much grey at 60 and 78, but my father's side went white early!) Weird how that works! And thank you, I hope it keeps on a-goin!

Congratulations on reaching APL! You've had a lot of growth and it looks great! :)

Thanks! I know it's only the bottom layer but it's the longest I've had my hair in probably a good 7 years!

Hi! Your progress looks great!

I think having variation in hair color is totally normal. I think temple hair is different from head hair for a lot of people- like, lots of fine hairs that stay short, weird curls that poof out, or lighter color, etc. It could just be the transitional hair between face hair to head hair, you know?

You used to dye/bleach a lot, right? Me too :) It's fun discovering what my hair does when it's not being chemically tormented... Also, I never really did, like, *realistic* colors... so I got used to my hair being a uniform shade of black, or blue or whatever. Now I've got all these natural highlights and stuff. So maybe it's an adjustment period for us, finding out what our hair does by itself, and getting used to it :D

Yeah I realize now that I haven't grown out my natural colour for many years. It is normal, it was just a pleasant surprise now that I'm paying more attention to my hair. Thank you!

Nice growth for just five months. I really love your color. By the way, I get lighter areas, too. I find that the area around my face has finer hair and it bleaches in the sun easier than the coarser stuff. Also, it has more access to the sun when my hair is pulled back regularly. Maybe this is the case with you. Nothing wrong with free highlights, though.

Woooo free highlights!!! :D And thank you on the colour, I'm embracing it, finally... it's crazy the nuances natural hair has!

Nera
May 10th, 2010, 06:45 PM

I have the exact same thing as well, my natural hair is dark brown, almost black, but I still have those blonde thin hairs around my face. People do ask about it a lot. I don't know if there is anything you can do about them, i tried castor oil (for growth and possible increase of thickness) which didn't work at all, and I henndigo, but that doesn't really seem to stain on those hairs.

Maybe it's different for every one, but (i hate to break the news) I've always had it and those hairs never grow longer than a couple of cm!

I'll be lurking around, hoping some one knows more!

goodenough
May 10th, 2010, 06:59 PM
I have thin, short, lighter hair in the temples. Glad to know I'm not going bald:) Seriously, though, it is a lot worse than before. I had a serious illness a few months back, and I think it's new growth. I like it, though, maybe because I've always had really dark, thick hair. At first I thought it took the temporary dye more, but I haven't dyed in several months, and it's blonde at the roots. I'd love to have highlights. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

Your hair has grown quickly! I hope I have growth like yours over the summer:)

FrannyG
May 11th, 2010, 04:21 AM
You hair has made remarkable progress in length, thickness of your new growth and overall health. It looks wonderful. :hollie: And I think your colour question has already been answered.

Well done and keep it growing! :blossom:

Bethie
May 11th, 2010, 05:08 AM
Wow, congrats on your wonderful hair growth! Your hair is so thick and shiny.

loralie
May 11th, 2010, 12:31 PM
I have the exact same thing as well, my natural hair is dark brown, almost black, but I still have those blonde thin hairs around my face. People do ask about it a lot. I don't know if there is anything you can do about them, i tried castor oil (for growth and possible increase of thickness) which didn't work at all, and I henndigo, but that doesn't really seem to stain on those hairs.

Maybe it's different for every one, but (i hate to break the news) I've always had it and those hairs never grow longer than a couple of cm!

I'll be lurking around, hoping some one knows more!

Yeah I have those little blonde baby hairs that never grow but the blonde is also at the base of some of my head hair (stuff that's past chin length!) So it's a little strange but it's growing on me! :)

I have thin, short, lighter hair in the temples. Glad to know I'm not going bald:) Seriously, though, it is a lot worse than before. I had a serious illness a few months back, and I think it's new growth. I like it, though, maybe because I've always had really dark, thick hair. At first I thought it took the temporary dye more, but I haven't dyed in several months, and it's blonde at the roots. I'd love to have highlights. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

Your hair has grown quickly! I hope I have growth like yours over the summer:)

Aw Thank you! I'm hoping it'll grow even faster in the summer :D
I guess it's no big deal to people who have virgin hair but I so took it for granted and totally forgot what color it was and dyed it all the time, so it's a whole new thing for me!! Hope yours grows even faster :)

You hair has made remarkable progress in length, thickness of your new growth and overall health. It looks wonderful. :hollie: And I think your colour question has already been answered.

Well done and keep it growing! :blossom:

Thanks Franny! The health is the most exciting as I never thought I could get it to grow past shoulder because it was always so damaged but it's working on it and I'm so excited! :)
Ya want my blonde bits? They'd match your hair just great! Haha. :D

Wow, congrats on your wonderful hair growth! Your hair is so thick and shiny.

Thanks Bethie! I'm so stoked, go hair go! :D