PDA

View Full Version : Swimming and protecting my hair

psalms66
May 10th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Hello all, I'm new here. :)

My hair is about 4 inches from my waist (the goal length) and I've begun swimming about 3 times a week to recover from a back injury.

Any ideas on what to do with my hair? I can't get a cap on, and for the past week or 2 have just been trying really hard not to get it wet (for now I get my exercises in without putting my head underwater).

What to do? My hair is medium thickness and fine, tends towards being red and the ends split really easily (as well as it's tendency towards being dry). I thought about oiling it before getting in? My biggest concerns are drying out and bleaching effects of the chlorine. And I bring my 18 month old so showering and washing is a real pain after every swim.

Thanks!

Cupofmilk
May 10th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Sounds like me. I only swim once a week and that is beacuse of my daughter (20 months) has lessons which I have to go in for. I would like to swim more - I used to swim twice a day for an hour - I was quite serious about it as a penthalete. In those days I had short hair - yet some ofthe ladies had long hair - they did wear caps - One had tailbone length hair and thick but still found a special cap to fit. I suspect they must make some that are stretchier or extra large.
These days - I clip my hair on top of my head and try not to get it wet. I condition before hand and then afterwards like you I can't wash my hair - so I wash it that evening with a speical shampoo - for swimming BUT I am not sure this is the best way to do it. As I think these anti-chlorine shampoos may strip the hair badly. It may be better to condition first, shampoo then condition again - But then are you sealing the chlorine in ?
I hope someone with some answers can help us.

humble_knight
May 10th, 2010, 01:19 PM
The speedo silicone long hair cap

[I read about it here two days ago on a different swimming thread :)]

Cinnamon Hair
May 10th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Are you brave enough to wear a shower cap in the pool? Much easier to put on/take off than a swim cap. But if you put your head in the water, it won't be much help.
I like to get my head wet and go under, so that wouldn't work for me, but it will help you avoid having to wash your hair after every swim.

ArienEllariel
May 10th, 2010, 06:59 PM
I read some thread on here about wetting your hair with nonchlorine water before getting in the pool to minimize chlorine absoption then rinsing with club soda when you get out, letting it sit for a minute or two before rinsing that out. I don't know where the article is for this but it's supposed to work.