PDA

View Full Version : Bleaching/ lightening hair vs. length

Kathie
May 9th, 2010, 06:06 PM
I currently have the top portion of my hair bleach-foiled a really pretty ash blond. I love it and while I’m strongly contemplating no longer bleaching my hair so that it can grow out strong and healthy I’ve finally found a colorist that does such a beautiful job.

At the moment we’re simply foiling the roots as they come through. I understand that often the damage doesn’t really show until years later when hair can be around BSL to waist… but keeping it around that length that may be a sacrifice I make for pretty hair color.
I’m curious, who here at LHC lightens their hair do you have any tips and tricks, how long is your hair (guess that’s going to be obvious when you post)? I’m really interested to see if you really notice a tradeoff between lightening hair and length.

justgreen
May 9th, 2010, 06:39 PM
My hair is 40+" and I get the roots bleached every 4-6 weeks. I keep a dark panel underneath that is my natural hair color. I've been bleaching for over 5 years this way.

Pear Martini
May 9th, 2010, 07:53 PM
I would say the growing possibilities are endless even if you bleach. The key is, you cannot heat style regularly or at all if you want to grow longer than APL-BSL.

When I was bleaching my hair and heat styling it five days a week, it never grew past APL. I still have bleach in my hair but I only heat style once a week or less and I am at BSL now.

I am trying to grow to waist, and I think it will be possible with bleach.

kwaniesiam
May 9th, 2010, 08:09 PM
If you generally take good care of your hair in all other aspects you should be fine having your hair lightened at a salon, especially if you're just doing the roots once and not touching the length. Plenty of members here have gorgeous hair that chemical color.

Kathie
May 9th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Thanks for your replies... I’m still undecided :?

I’d like to know exactly what my natural hair is like, with its natural highlights etc. But I also like my highlighted hair… oh the dilemma. I guess I’m just going to see what happens as I grow it out… if the roots get to much to bear at least I know where to go to get them colored.

lastnite
May 9th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Just lightening some parts (highlights) shouldn't be too bad, and if it's just the roots you are touching up even better. It probably also depends on your hair type, if it's thin it maybe harder to grow long healthy hair and bleach it.

Curlsgirl
May 10th, 2010, 09:24 AM
I think a lot of it also depends on what hairtype your hair is (for example fine hair might not be able to take as much as coarser hair) and how well you treat it otherwise. I have been highlighting only on the roots for a few years (before that I did full color on my own hair all over!) and I can tell it's MUCH healthier. Mine is waist length. I may keep it here just because I like to heat style some and I would rather trade off longer hair for that at least right now.