PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to blowdry using cool air?

ButterCream
May 9th, 2010, 07:59 AM
I was just thinking - (it`s a habbit I have:eyebrows:) -
I am a gooood girl and don`t blowdry my hair anymore, haven`t done it in a month (*pats myself on the back*:D)

And if this is one of those stupid and obvious questions I apologize, but I just want to be sure about this:

I wondered it can`t bee harmfull to blowdry my hair when I don`t have the time to let it dry, using only cold air?

If I get myself one of those hairdryers that have a button that you can use if you want to use only cold air, that couldn`t be to bad? Or...??

Any input on this?

Thanks!:)

Theobroma
May 9th, 2010, 08:14 AM
I've been wondering about this myself, because living in a climate where winters are seriously cold I don't know how I'd manage without a hairdryer (one that has a cool setting, of course!) I'm sure I'd catch a massive cold every time I tried to let my hair air-dry in winter! So I use my PowerStyler on cool, which feels only just about warm on the skin of my hands (and cold on my scalp while it's wet) and hope it isn't doing any harm...

Amraann
May 9th, 2010, 08:16 AM
There is no such thing as a stupid question.

Personally I think that any type of wind could be damaging. However if you must dry your hair then cooler air would be better.

AbruptlyWanderi
May 9th, 2010, 09:01 AM
From what I have learned on this forum, it is okay to blowdry if it is set to cold and pointing down. Hope that helps!

ButterCream
May 9th, 2010, 09:08 AM
From what I have learned on this forum, it is okay to blowdry if it is set to cold and pointing down. Hope that helps!

Thank you, indidio that helps!!
I guess the pointing down is to prevent tangles?

Ok, I think I will start looking at hairdryers that have that cool-button:cheese:
Besides, I will still let my hair airdry, but it is nice to have an option when I don`t have the time to do that...Yay!:heart:

ButterCream
May 9th, 2010, 09:09 AM
There is no such thing as a stupid question.

Personally I think that any type of wind could be damaging. However if you must dry your hair then cooler air would be better.

Thanks for taking time to give me some input!:)

cybernetica
May 9th, 2010, 09:23 AM
I guess to achieve nice healthy locks I will have to give up my blow dryer, curling iron and triple barrel :( This Will be a tough one for me.

JenniferNoel
May 9th, 2010, 09:23 AM
I do it very often. As long as you're gentle with detangling after the blow dry, you should be fine. The only problem I've ever had was the tangles with the wind.
:)

anrems
May 9th, 2010, 11:56 AM
My blow dryer has a cool setting and if I ever need to blow dry I use that. So far it hasn't caused any problems for me, but then again, I rarely blow dry. When I use the cold setting I just do it very gently, too much wind causes lots of tangles for me. Hope this helps! :)

spidermom
May 9th, 2010, 12:08 PM
I use both warm and cool settings, but never the hottest, except once briefly last week when I noticed little blobs of solidified coconut oil in my hair. Besides the hot setting, I think the most dangerous thing about blow-drying is using a brush and pulling on the hair with it. I use my shower comb to hold the strand I'm working on, but I don't pull/stretch. My hair seems to do fine with this. I blow-dry whenever I feel like it.

Kathie
May 9th, 2010, 01:40 PM
I guess the pointing down is to prevent tangles?

I think so, I also think that pointing down means that you’re working with the direction of the hair cuticle meaning less lifting.

Daioki
May 9th, 2010, 02:26 PM
I mean, I would assume it's ok because the main reason you stay away from the flat iron and the blow dryer is because of heat damage...so technically cool air wouldn't count. But this is just my assumption and me shrugging my shoulders, haha. :confused: :p

ButterCream
May 10th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Thanks guys for your input! I think i will be ok with cool hair used whenever I don`t have time to airdry:D

Brat
May 10th, 2010, 04:58 PM
In my opinion, it's ok as long as the hair isn't flipping around in the wind. You know, holding the dryer close to the hair and not letting it whip about. I made the mistake as a kid of letting my hair loose under a helmet on a motorcycle, and it took hours to detangle. Ever seen flags ripping on the edges due to flying in the wind for a long time?

Sunsailing
May 13th, 2010, 01:19 AM
The blow dryer itself makes all the difference.

I switched years ago to one with infrared heat. I was skeptical at first, but it really is very different. It dries the hair from the inside to outside without super heating it, thus it also dries much faster on a lower heat setting. My hair looks and feels much different with the infrared dryer as compared with a regular one. It is very much worth the extra cost.

This is probably extreme, but I use 3 different "hair turban towels" to get a lot of moisture out. Then I let it dry for about 30 minutes before using the infrared dryer. I don't have the luxury of time in the morning on work days to let it completely air dry.

henna4grey
May 13th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Does not cold/cool blow on wet scalp make you feel cold? It did make me feel cold, when I tried it once.

Dreams_in_Pink
May 13th, 2010, 03:47 AM
I cannot go without blowdrying :( Not just because it's cold and i need to hurry, but also because my hair dries into beautiful waves when i blowdry on a low heat setting with ion buttons pressed. For some reason my hair becomes frizzy mess when i air-dry (I remember someone made a thread about this, i'm not alone there :) )

As far as i know, the damage occurs when the water inside hair shaft is boiled. When it boils, it evaporates and applies pressure on outer core of hair, breaking it and causing white dots. So i think that unless your hair gets tangled easily or super-fine or very damaged, you should do fine with blowdrying with cold air.

Crazycatlady
May 13th, 2010, 07:24 PM
I haven't tried this yet, but I might now that summer is almost here...I read some place on here that someone sits in front of a fan to dry their hair. That's another option, if you're not pressed for time. Read or have a snack while your hair dries! :)

GRU
May 13th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Look around for a blow dryer that has a cold SETTING, not just a "button".

I've used both kinds, and when you're trying to do the whole thing while pressing that "cold shot button" the entire time, your finger/thumb gets tired! Also, it limits the way you can move the dryer, because you have to keep that button pressed or it starts shooting out HOT air at your poor defenseless hair.

I got a dryer about six months ago that had a cold setting, and I'll never go back to the "button" type!

If you want to limit wind damage, use the diffuser attachment. The one I have has "fingers" that stick out, and I can press those all the way through to my scalp and dry my "undercoat", which is the part that takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r to dry.

ibleedlipstick
May 13th, 2010, 09:50 PM
I was wondering this as well- this is so good to hear. I have INSANELY thick hair that takes all day to fully dry (not kidding- at least 11 hours for the entirety of the hair to be dry) and sometimes I need it to be dry before I do things, but I have been afraid to destroy my hair. I have made a deal with myself- I'm allowed to chemically dye it if I don't use any of my heat tools on it.

pennylane
May 14th, 2010, 12:45 AM
No.

For me cool it's not ok.

I use ionic hot air, otherwise my thick, frizzy hair would not look the way i want it to look in my everyday life.

My personal opinion ....I am travelling this road to BSL hair my way. :) It might take a lil longer but I want to feel happy and look good on the way, otherwise is not worth the journey :)

countryhopper
May 14th, 2010, 09:24 AM
I've sat in front of a fan before. i think it works well! of course, the fan was on a very low setting, so no wind damage.

I wash my hair at night and let it air dry. by morning it's fine.

In the winter, though, it is nice not to have freezing colde hair :D So I sometimes use the blowdryer on warm just to dry the roots. I leave the rest damp and at least my hair doesn't make me feel cold.

adiapalic
May 14th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Always wondered this myself--it makes sense that no heat and pointing down would be okay though. I imagine the only "damage" cold-air blowdrying could cause is tangling.