PDA

View Full Version : The Brushers' Rebellion

Flynn
May 9th, 2010, 01:04 AM
I've been experimenting with combing again... stupidly. My hair is absolutley riddled with splits. Eugh.

I'm definitely a brushing person, on a forum where the Comb is King.

But I know I'm not alone.

From curlies who can't do without their Denman in the shower, to straighties who just can't get that really polished look by combing alone, there are certainly a few of us out there for whom combs just don't cut it. We need to brush.

So, hold your brushes high, and join in...

THE BRUSHERS' REBELLION!

Who's with me?

Suggestions for conduct in this thread: Don't bash someone else's brush, (unless you're just mucking around). Just because BBB's, nylon ball-tip brushes, paddle brushes don't work for you, that doesn't mean they don't work for anyone. Remember all those anti-brushing combers?
Don't bash combs and combers, (unless you're just mucking around). Again, just 'cause it doesn't work for you, doesn't mean it's bad.
This is not a serious thread.

Flynn
May 9th, 2010, 01:06 AM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b106/maccallister/Utensils.png

My favourite brush. Yep, it's a nylon plastic-ball bristle one. Next to one of the combs that ate my hair for breakfast.

Roseate
May 9th, 2010, 01:13 AM
You'll have to pry my Denman from my cold, dead hands! I love it! Combs are all well and good, but I need my brush.:crush:

Loreley
May 9th, 2010, 01:23 AM
I comb AND brush. I couldn't live without my BBB. :D

ravenreed
May 9th, 2010, 01:32 AM
I use a tangle teezer, a BBB and a regular old brush. I also use a comb. It depends on what my hair needs.

Masara
May 9th, 2010, 01:35 AM
I now have one single tool. A kent "phat pin" paddle brush. No more combs that caused splits and made my hair flat. No more BBBs that caused breakage. Just one brush to detangle, smooth, style... (Ok ,so I keep my Maison Pearson nylon/bristle mix to get my hair really smooth from time to time)

Cupofmilk
May 9th, 2010, 02:12 AM
I have a fantastic mason pearson. I havent' been able to comb my hair for 10 years!

LILBERT
May 9th, 2010, 02:17 AM
tangle teezer addict here :D

Cupofmilk
May 9th, 2010, 03:10 AM
Here thhis one. I see it is not cheap - a very good gift!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mason-Pearson-Large-Popular-Bristle/dp/B00302PW9E/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=drugstore&qid=1273396170&sr=1-6

Unofficial_Rose
May 9th, 2010, 03:39 AM
I love my Mason Pearson. :inlove:

Besides, isn't brushing good for your scalp?

janeytilllie
May 9th, 2010, 03:43 AM
I use both combs and brushes.
I love my new body shop wooden brush and tangle teezer they feel ever so good on my scalp and make my hair silky smooth :inlove:

Dreams_in_Pink
May 9th, 2010, 03:59 AM
I LOVE my paddle brush!! The flexible bristles never yank on tangles the way combs do (even a wooden one)

Flynn
May 9th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Yay! There appear to be more of us than I thought!

I have a Denman, which is pretty good; a MP I inherited from my grandmother, which I can't stand -- it just really doesn't work for me, (but it's something special from nanna, so I'm not willing to part with it, so keep your beady eyes to yourselves!); and a few nylon bristle brushes... which I love. Why? The bristles are so flexible that they just remove themselves from any tangles, without grabbing and breaking any hair. I've tried a paddle brush in the past, but I find the narrower ones work better for me.

Teazel
May 9th, 2010, 05:32 AM
The flexible bristles never yank on tangles the way combs do (even a wooden one)

Yes, that. My soft-bristled BBB gently draws sheds out before they can get snarled, unlike combing. So I brush first, then use my fingers and a wide-toothed horn comb to deal with any remaining tangles.

julliams
May 9th, 2010, 05:34 AM
I love my Body Shop wooden quill brush. It just feels lovely and I don't hate my wavy hair when it's brushed.

freckles
May 9th, 2010, 05:50 AM
No way can I do without my tangle teezer (I guess that counts?). My hair just doesn't feel silky after combing alone.

Flynn
May 9th, 2010, 05:57 AM
Tangle teezers absolutely do count! ^__^

camillacamilla
May 9th, 2010, 07:14 AM
I use a comb to detangle wet hair, but I absolutely HAVE to brush my hair. I always have a certain type of brush I use- cushioned base with plastic ball tipped bristles. Boar bristle brushes will not go through my hair.

Igraine
May 9th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Teazel: I read your entry and thought of trying it too. It works a charm, detangling finished in half a minute! Thanks! :flowers: Hopefully few splits to come my way again...

marikamt
May 9th, 2010, 07:29 AM
When I joined here, I went 'comb only', but I really miss my brush and am thinking of getting a wooden brush.

I have seen a few posts above mention combs only increased their splits.... can someone explain to me why/ how? I feel like I have more splits since comb only, but I thought it was because my length was longer than I was used to.......

GlassEyes
May 9th, 2010, 07:31 AM
I love my denman, but I refuse to detangle with it. So I comb in the shower and use it after. :)

embee
May 9th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Here's a toast to my beloved Denman that helps my scalp feel *so good*!!!

That said, I do use my wide tooth comb to detangle after washing, and when I take down my updo, but always follow up with a good brushing.

Brushing my hair is like brushing my teeth, part of how I take care of me. Not brushing - I am sure I've missed something important, a nagging incomplete sensation.

I understand why super-curlies do not brush, I've had perms in my time and brushing just did not work.

virgo75
May 9th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Hmmmm....
Splits from using combs?
Could I be getting single strand knots from using a comb?

I've been mostly using combs thinking they were "better" and easier on my curly hair than a brush for the past 6 months to a year. In that time I've been getting single strand "fairy" knots in my hair on a daily basis. I keep my hair(almost armpit length) up in braids or a bun 99% of the time and mainly just take it down to wash and let it dry or re-do it. Could combing be the reason?

Before this I only used brushes - both nylon & the Goody imitation Denman and never noticed and single strand knots.

TiaKitty
May 9th, 2010, 08:18 AM
I tried to comb only, for a few days, but it didn't last longer than a week. I couldn't keep it up. I brush twice a day, and before I shower. There are times when I just *have* to brush, or I'm going to start getting serious anxiety. If I notice my hair is tangly and knotty, there are times I have to drop what I'm doing and brush. Tips first, a little farther, a little farther... voila! My hair is happy and my brain can rest.

I just use a large paddle brush by Goody, with a cushioned base and big tips. The tips eventually start falling off, and I wind up buyiung another. The ones with missing tips are okay for emergencies or a quick brush out if I've already brushed once in the day, but the newest brush is the one I have to have before a hair "freak out." I don't buy the same color twice in a row, because I have to refer to them by color. "Who's seen my purple brush? I need my brush!" Rushing from room to room, checking my favorite landing spots... I'll hear a kiddo from one room bellow "Got the orange one!!!" Another kid in a bathroom will yell about a comb or some other poor substitute. Finally, I can find my purple brush and all is well... They even know that when Mommy hollers for her hairbrush, all hell's about to break loose unless she gets her hair brushed...

I have a Goody that's part boar bristles and part tipped bristles, but I can't get the hang of the boars bristles. They won't de-tangle the parts that I need detangles. I tried just using it for smoothing and bringing down sebum, but somethings not *quite* right...

Reading this thread made me feel like I now need to brush... I'm stepping away from the computer to go look for my purple brush now...

rags
May 9th, 2010, 08:36 AM
They will have to pry my hairbrushes from my hands to get me to give them up! I have several - a Denman, a Kent "phat pin" detangler, a body shop wooden quill brush, a Kent BBB and a MP BBB.

Out of all of those, I mostly use the Denman and the two BBB's. I adore BBB's! I have thin, fine hair so they really can get all the hair and there is just nothing which makes my hair look smoother.

My hair doesn't look good with just combing. I do use a comb to detangle, and then brush. But if I don't brush, my hair is still kind of frizzy and just not smooth as I prefer it. I don't ever see myself going "comb only".

Long live the Rebellion! :D

Pixna
May 9th, 2010, 08:58 AM
I adore my Madora comb -- couldn't live without it.

http://madoralonghairheaven.com/116_V1.jpg

BUT I also love my Denman brush.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Hf2cQ43NL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I must detangle with my Madora before I use it, but man, does it feel gooooood on my scalp. It also removes shed hairs that my Madora misses. That said, I am a gentle brusher. If I rip through my hair, I do just that, rip my hair. So I've got to take my time, detangle first, and be gentle.

EvaSimone
May 9th, 2010, 09:04 AM
I use a BBB and a denman and I love them. :cloud9: Combs just don't cut it for me!

GoddesJourney
May 9th, 2010, 09:42 AM
I love the paddle brush style since it gives such a great head massage. Also, sometimes I like that polished look. If I ever want to distribute oils, a BBB is useless on my M/C hair, so I found this wooden paddle brush (http://www.earththerapeutics.net/prodinfo.asp?number=9875) that is the perfect combination. I imediately bought two more, one for my mom and one as a back up in case I destroy this one and find out they've discontinued them (which always happens when I like something).

Brushing rocks!

GoddesJourney
May 9th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Hmmmm....
Splits from using combs?

I've been mostly using combs thinking they were "better" and easier on my curly hair than a brush for the past 6 months to a year. In that time I've been getting single strand "fairy" knots in my hair on a daily basis. I keep my hair(almost armpit length) up in braids or a bun 99% of the time and mainly just take it down to wash and let it dry or re-do it. Could combing be the reason?

Before this I only used brushes - both nylon & the Goody imitation Denman and never noticed and single strand knots.

Could be from bunning. If my buns start to slip/untwist, I get all kinds of splits and knots. I'm not a big fan of bunning.

Sammich
May 9th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I really love my Denman brush! :D Not so much my BBB though, that doesn't feel like it does anything to me. *Shrug*

I do use a wooden comb too. >> *Flees from attacking mob!* :p

rapunzhell13
May 9th, 2010, 09:54 AM
I use a wide toothed comb for detangling, but I brush for the sheer pleasure of it! Feels great on my scalp and I like the way it smooths my hair out. Another Denman fan here!

Katurday
May 9th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Brushing is something I could not give up! So I just keep using my regular paddle brushes and wooden brushes. I own a few BBBs, and just can't get into the habit. Combs yank on my hair and cause me to miss knots which develop into full on catastrophes. As one with slippery, straight hair, brushing is the only way to go.

virgo75
May 9th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Could be from bunning. If my buns start to slip/untwist, I get all kinds of splits and knots. I'm not a big fan of bunning.

Oh, ok.
Thank you. :)

Maybe I'll just stick to braids and/or other types of updos then.

spidermom
May 9th, 2010, 10:04 AM
I like to use combs and brushes. I probably use my comb most often, but there's nothing quite so satisfying as a good brushing from time to time.

Masara
May 9th, 2010, 11:25 AM
I have several - a Denman, a Kent "phat pin" detangler, a body shop wooden quill brush, a Kent BBB and a MP BBB.

Are you sure you're not me ? :) Except for the fact my MP is a nylon/bristle and not a BBB I have exactly the same brushes as you.

Fractalsofhair
May 9th, 2010, 12:21 PM
I need to brush my hair to make it look shiny. Otherwise, it just looks frizzy. I only brush it when dry,and with a BBB brush, carefully, but that doesn't change that it likes brushing. I have yet to notice any damage from brushing, but my hair seems to be able to withstand mechanical damage pretty well(just not chemical damage!)

little_acorn
May 9th, 2010, 12:31 PM
I :love: my Bodyshop wooden pin brush - I tend to use it that majority of the time for everything. Though I do use my wood comb for major detangling and for when I'm oiling my hair.

Hurrah for brushes :D :D :D

Capybara
May 9th, 2010, 12:39 PM
I love the paddle brush style since it gives such a great head massage. Also, sometimes I like that polished look. If I ever want to distribute oils, a BBB is useless on my M/C hair, so I found this wooden paddle brush (http://www.earththerapeutics.net/prodinfo.asp?number=9875) that is the perfect combination.

I have a similar brush, I love it! And a BBB from the same company as you mentioned.

I always detangle with a wide toothed comb before brushing, but I absolutely love the feeling of a brush! makes my hair so silky :)

jeanniet
May 9th, 2010, 01:24 PM
I mostly use combs because my hair tangles, but I need a brush to smooth, so I use both. Comb, then brush. I was using my MP brushes to smooth, but since I got a tangle teezer I've been using that...mmmm, love it (and shhhh, don't tell my MP brushes!). I just wish the TT fit my hand a little better.

ArienEllariel
May 9th, 2010, 01:28 PM
My hair comes off looking stringy if I don't brush it and only use a comb, no matter what else I do to it. I love my brush! :) Plus if I use just a comb, my hair tends to break off more and get more staticy. I use a mock-BBB from target. some designer line brush that looks very much like the expensive BBB's everyone raves about on here. And I love it to pieces! :D

Cirafly24
May 9th, 2010, 01:48 PM
I also love my wood quill brush from The Body Shop!!

I use a Mebco shower detangler for combing conditioner through, and a horn comb for detangling out of the shower, but otherwise, I use my TBS brush for everything.

I also have a BBB, but I'm not a huge fan. the bristles don't seem strong enough to reach my scalp, and it give me tons of static.

Aurielle
May 9th, 2010, 01:56 PM
I do use a comb to help detangle, but I have found that if I don't go over my hair on the top and underside with my boar-bristle brush, it's nearly impossible to comb the knots out. Honestly, after the brush I could easily get the knots out with my fingers; the comb helps me find the knots. :) I think if I could find a reasonably priced brush similar to the one that I have that had longer bristles and could go through all of my hair, I could use that alone.
I haven't had much luck with paddle brushes or other common types at local stores. They seem to pull out more hair than what I am doing now and are hard to use in my opinion.

Animae
May 9th, 2010, 03:29 PM
I would love to get one of those tangle teezer brushes, those look really cool. Is there any place to get them in the US? Or should I just get it of ebay UK?

My hair is curly, but I will comb it, then brush it before I wash it to get all the shedded hair out.

Quixii
May 9th, 2010, 03:52 PM
I've recently switched to brushing try before I get in the shower. The feeling that my hair always had at least a few tangles, even though I'd spend 5-10 minutes detangling with a wide-toothed comb in the shower, was really bothering me.
I can't say it's better for my hair, but I do enjoy feeling less tangley. :D

Tresses
May 9th, 2010, 05:35 PM
You'll have to pry my Denman from my cold, dead hands! I love it! Combs are all well and good, but I need my brush.:crush:

My Denman D5 is my updo buddy. :inlove: I do comb (I have horn, boxwood, and plastic; all seamless), but I need my Denmans and MPs. :D

Flynn
May 9th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Yay! There are heaps of us! I don't feel like such a freak for preferring a brush.

Long live the rebellion! XD

Flynn
May 9th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Hmmmm....
Splits from using combs?

My money would be on it having something to do with your updos, rather than your comb...

Though, you say you're curly... are you combing more often than you used to brush by any chance? That might have something to do with it, too.

Flynn
May 9th, 2010, 06:18 PM
I use a BBB and a denman and I love them. :cloud9: Combs just don't cut it for me!

:hifive: I'm definitely going back to my denman in the shower, now, since I noticed the mess I've made of my hair with a comb. This never used to happen... XD

greygoth
May 9th, 2010, 10:11 PM
I always brush my wavy, frizzy hair before putting it into its night braid, or before washing. Love my Denman paddle and my Body Shop quill.

Teazel
May 9th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Teazel: I read your entry and thought of trying it too. It works a charm, detangling finished in half a minute! Thanks! :flowers: Hopefully few splits to come my way again...

I'm glad it works for you, Igraine! :rockerdud

dragonfrog
May 10th, 2010, 02:07 AM
I prefer using my wooden bristle paddle brush (there was a link to a similar one earlier in the thread) as I feel it is faster, more effective, and does a better job than combing. However, I do comb my hair if I need to detangle it while wet.

inertia
May 10th, 2010, 07:19 AM
My hair does best with brushing too. I use a nylon ball-tip paddle brush to detangle wet hair after washing. When dry, I use a BBB, not just for smoothing and distributing oils but also to detangle it. The soft bristles slip out of the tangles instead of getting stuck, and another stroke gets the tangle undone easily and painlessly. With combs it takes forever and hurts, and I always worry that I'm pulling out or breaking hairs.

Having said that, I do keep a boxwood comb in my purse for touchups on the go, because it's light and takes up almost no room.

magicatt
May 10th, 2010, 08:12 AM
My hair loves brushes! I use a mixed BBB and nylon ball tipped bristles brush. It's the one I've found that reaches all the way through my hair. I use a wide tooth seamless comb for detangling after the shower but once my hair is dry it just looks stringy if I don't brush it. Yay, brushes! :cheer:

jaine
May 10th, 2010, 08:31 AM
I love my Goody Ouchless brush ... it's very easy to clean because the brush body is one solid piece of plastic. The bristles retract into the body as needed to conform to your scalp. There aren't any seams or edges to snag my hair. And it was only $9.
:crush:
http://www.saleevent.ca/images/images/full/Goody-Ouchless-Brush-Pink.jpg

I love my plastic fine-tooth comb too ... but I accidentally left it in a hotel room and I need to find a replacement. :( Any comb suggestions are welcome ... I like using a comb in the shower for shampoo & conditioner distribution. My hair is getting longer and thicker so I might replace it with a medium-tooth comb instead of fine-tooth.

GlennaGirl
May 10th, 2010, 08:53 AM
I love using a hair brush. Then again, my hair doesn't tangle easily so I'm not working through snarls or tangles or anything, usually. I do use a comb when I need to but I also use a brush. I heart my Denman and my Goody Ouchless. :)

mahoganyhorizon
May 10th, 2010, 09:20 AM
I brush. But I mainly brush to smooth my edges and sides when bunning so that my hair remains neat. Otherwise, it's comb for me and my thick ethnic hair LOL!

Flynn
May 10th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I love my Goody Ouchless brush ... it's very easy to clean because the brush body is one solid piece of plastic. The bristles retract into the body as needed to conform to your scalp. There aren't any seams or edges to snag my hair. And it was only $9.

Aah, I'd heard this one mentioned, but didn't know how it worked. Very interesting! I can see why it is so popular now.

Flynn
May 11th, 2010, 06:06 PM
I'm thinking I should get another denman... I need one for my swimming bag, I think...

Flynn
May 14th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Got a new Denman. A "tutti-frutti" (http://www.denmanbrush.com/acatalog/Fragranced_Range.html) one, 'cause it was the only kind of D3 Price Attack had. It was that or a D5. I thought it was just cute colours...

Nope.

It's a fragranced hairbrush. O.o

If you're a Denman fan who is also fond of nice-smelling things, look out for 'em!

I got the Wild Dewberry sort. They're really cute. ^__^

Pixna
May 14th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Got a new Denman. A "tutti-frutti" (http://www.denmanbrush.com/acatalog/Fragranced_Range.html) one, 'cause it was the only kind of D3 Price Attack had. It was that or a D5. I thought it was just cute colours...

Nope.

It's a fragranced hairbrush. O.o

If you're a Denman fan who is also fond of nice-smelling things, look out for 'em!

I got the Wild Dewberry sort. They're really cute. ^__^

Does it fragrance your hair???

Flynn
May 14th, 2010, 07:14 AM

I don't know yet! I hope not.... O.o (Allergic to most perfumes...) I'll let you know tomorrow when I actually use it!

ETA: I can smell the rubber of the regular Denman, and I imagine the smell becomes even more pronounced if you're using it while you're blow-drying (don't know, don't own a blowdryer)... maybe the idea is to mask that?

Animae
May 14th, 2010, 09:16 AM
I got the body shop's quill brush, and wow its good. It doesn't really break up my curl pattern, as long as I just brush lightly and not for to long.

craftybunn
May 14th, 2010, 09:34 AM
sorry. I just have to say, that is the most beautiful bun I have ever seen!!!
:bowtome:

Dolly
May 14th, 2010, 09:57 AM
I couldn't live without my WIDU wooden-quill brush!

flowerlovelong
May 14th, 2010, 10:04 AM
I'm a comber and brusher but trying to keep the brushing to a minimum, 2-3 days/week. I do love using my new bakelite comb/rake. Best I've ever used :oD

Norai
May 14th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Not only do I brush, but I brush when my hair is wet! Oh the shame.... not. I have switched over to a tangle teezer brush though and love it. I was doing quite a bit of damage with my paddle brush back in the day that will probably take me another 5 years to recover from. :p

adiapalic
May 14th, 2010, 10:18 AM
I comb AND brush. I couldn't live without my BBB. :D

Samesies! I have to have my BBB and my wooden comb together! Can't they live in peace?! :meditate: maybe?....

:slap:

Nastasia
May 14th, 2010, 11:35 AM
I tried switching to combing after reading a bunch of stuff here, but I don't think it's working so well for me. I feel like combing is harsher and causes more damage than faithful BBB. I keep feeling like I'm ripping out knots with the comb instead of teasing them apart. Back to brushing for me, I think :).

LHktress
May 14th, 2010, 02:23 PM
I love my BBB! It is so gentle! I have never felt it pull or tear my hair, unlike any of the combs or brushes I've used before. I only use the BBB on dry hair now -- and a wide toothed comb on heavily conditioned hair in the shower.

Kristin
May 14th, 2010, 03:36 PM
I love brushing, too..I use my Bass paddle brush (from Whole Foods) at least once a day. It makes my hair so smooth! I mainly use my BBB after oiling to spread it all around. My combs are also used, but mostly for styling and when my hair is damp, though I try to avoid any damp combing.

Flynn
May 14th, 2010, 04:18 PM
I tried switching to combing after reading a bunch of stuff here, but I don't think it's working so well for me. I feel like combing is harsher and causes more damage than faithful BBB. I keep feeling like I'm ripping out knots with the comb instead of teasing them apart. Back to brushing for me, I think :).

Exactly! Combing, no matter how careful, always seems to be ripping through the centre of tangles when I do it, wheras brushing is more separating strands and drawing them out of the tangle.

Flynn
May 14th, 2010, 06:50 PM

I don't know yet! I hope not.... O.o (Allergic to most perfumes...) I'll let you know tomorrow when I actually use it!

ETA: I can smell the rubber of the regular Denman, and I imagine the smell becomes even more pronounced if you're using it while you're blow-drying (don't know, don't own a blowdryer)... maybe the idea is to mask that?

It turns out it doesn't. The brush just smells nice. ^__^

JaclynBailey
May 14th, 2010, 07:58 PM
I am a brusher. I will always be a brusher. I love my BBB even though my hair is a little on the thicker side. I just brush in layers.

melikai
May 16th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Haha - love this thread!
I was only using combs since joining here, but now I loooove my Mason Pearson (it's a wee pocket-sized one!):

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s123/melikai/user16302_pic67096_1268929219.jpg

I use my MP mostly on my scalp, to distribute sebum and also to extend washes. I have noticed that it takes out knots more easily than most combs. After washing, I use the fine-toothed Kent comb to make my part or else the front of my hair dries weirdly. I use the huge "Viking boat oar" comb for detangling, but have found that it takes forever to do this - I think the teeth are too far apart for my hair type. Once my hair is dry, I love the Heavenly Harvest horn comb for combing the best out of all of my combs. But combs aside, I just can't get over how amazing brushing is being for my hair, now that I know how to use a brush properly!

Sissy
May 16th, 2010, 08:03 AM
I love the paddle brush style since it gives such a great head massage. Also, sometimes I like that polished look. If I ever want to distribute oils, a BBB is useless on my M/C hair, so I found this wooden paddle brush (http://www.earththerapeutics.net/prodinfo.asp?number=9875) that is the perfect combination. I imediately bought two more, one for my mom and one as a back up in case I destroy this one and find out they've discontinued them (which always happens when I like something).

Brushing rocks!

I own two of the same brush (one for home and one for work) and love it! I also love my seamless comb from Hairsense on ebay. Somedays, I only comb but other days I enjoy brushing once my hair is detangled of course. I try to avoid brushing it when it's wet. However, I am still getting pretty massive splits and it's hard to pin point what causes them (swimming chlorine damage, wearing hair up in buns, working out at the gym, mechanical damage from when it's down, sleeping on it, lack of protein?) I have never been able to alleviate my hair from splitting. Perhaps my hair is just to fragile and will always split.

Laylah
May 16th, 2010, 10:30 AM
I used to hate brushing- I was a die-hard comber, lol. But recently I've been using a plastic-ball tip paddle brush after I've detangled my hair. It doesn't seem to cause any damage, and it makes my hair smooth and shiny like combs cannot.

Brat
May 16th, 2010, 11:27 AM
I hate combs, will never buy one again. They're evil things that don't do anything good and always end up tangled in my hair along with the tangles. I only brush when wet, otherwise it'll break up the curls and be frizzy. I use the ones with the flexible base and the ball tips.

pineconejg
May 16th, 2010, 11:50 AM
I love my wide-tooth, seamless comb, and I use it all the time. However, I also love this:

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy246/pineconejg/Hair/th_CRIM0023.jpg (http://s796.photobucket.com/albums/yy246/pineconejg/Hair/?action=view&current=CRIM0023.jpg)

It is a Goody hybrid- I forget what is called because I have had it for a long time. It is comb-shaped but has a combo of boar bristles and ball-tipped pins. I have always loved how smooth a BBB made my hair but I was frustrated because it would always make tangles underneath with smooth on top. This one is great because it actually penetrates the thickness of my hair. However, when it gets longer, I think I might get impatient with this one because it is rather small.

JG

shadowclaw
May 16th, 2010, 02:01 PM
I'm a half comber, half brusher. I always comb my hair right after the shower, and sometimes during my shower when there's conditioner in my hair. I love my Mebco comb - it's one of those half fine tooth, half wide tooth ones. They sell it at Sally's for around $3 I think.

As for brushes, I haven't quite found the right one. I have a Hot N Silky paddle brush that is a mix of BB and nylon bristles. It works great for smoothing updos and distributing oils, and it's stiff enough that I could use it as a detangler if I wanted to. But I don't :)

Right now I have a Goody Ouchless brush that I absolute hate! Sorry jaine... your brush must be nicer to you than mine is! It rips my hair out like no other brush I've owned, which is weird, because I can't find any reason for it to do so. I have the one for fine to normal hair.The body is all one piece, and the plastic "bristles" don't have any edges to catch my hair, and the little balls at the end are completely molded onto the bristles, so there's no catching there :shrug:

I really liked the brush I used to have. I should have bought another one of those! It was a Goody Gelous Anti-Frizz paddle brush. The handle was really cool. However, it was difficult to clean, and my brother broke the handle off. I've never heard of the Tangle Teezer or Denman... perhaps I'll have to look into those.

Brownie
May 16th, 2010, 03:30 PM
I'm addicted to my Tangle Teezer :inlove:

Ariane88
May 16th, 2010, 06:32 PM
heh I don't know how I would live without my brush. I use a wooden comb from the body shop after washing my hair to detangle, but thats the only time I ever use a comb. I find combs pretty useless for when my hair is dry.
My brush (I only have one, it never occured to me that one could have more then one brush until I read this post!) has nylon ball-tipped ends together with nylon bristles. The only downside is that it can make my hair very static-y in the winter and its a bit hard to clean, but I do really love this type of brush for everyday brushing.

Does anyone know of a similar brush with wooden balltips and maybe boar bristles? I bet that would get rid of my staticness in the winter.

Amelia
May 17th, 2010, 09:49 AM
I havent' been able to comb my hair for 10 years!

I haven't comb my hair since I was two years old. All my life I have either made a bigger mess that it already was or breaking combs:justy: (this smilie really looks like me lol)

I believed firmly that I couldn't go without a brush, until last saturday when i bought a wooden comb and it actually worked! I still have my brush (also wood) around just in case something happens, because my faith in combs isn't that big. I'm waiting for there to be a catch somewhere :laugh:

Wicked Princess
May 17th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I haven't been to the site for awhile and didn't notice this thread until now! I started using a hairbrush two months ago to save time in getting my hair manageable in the mornings but ended up loving how much more smooth my hair is.

I do detangle my hair before I begin brushing, though, and I always make sure to start brushing the ends of my hair before I work my way up. This way, I never notice any breakage, never hear the hair breaking noises, and don't shed clumpfuls of hair like I did when I used to brush my hair before LHC enlightened me.

Waaah! And this is the brush I use, too! I've never met a brush so perfect for me! And it comes with the added benefit of being easy to find and afford. :D I'm happy to see someone else happy with it, too! :)

Ava711
June 22nd, 2010, 07:47 AM
Yay!
I have never been a skilled comber, and I love my Goody Plasmium Gel! :p

shadowclaw
June 22nd, 2010, 11:37 AM
Just dropping by to say that I ordered a Tangle Teezer after hearing good things about it in this thread, and I absolutely love it! It doesn't rip out any hair at all, and it gets through tangles so easy. It's also awesome on wet hair. It's really great for updos, too. All those bristles make for a smooth finish.

Jenn of Pence
June 22nd, 2010, 12:08 PM
I invested in a couple of nice seamless combs after I joined LHC. I like them alright, but I did miss brushing and had a little trouble with breakage when smoothing with the fine toothed comb. So... I got the brush back out from its hidey-hole last week, and I'm pleased :).

jane53
June 22nd, 2010, 01:00 PM
Combing destroys my otherwise strong hair. Brushing all the way for me, with a boar bristle brush!

squiggyflop
June 22nd, 2010, 03:31 PM
i use a wood bristle brush daily.. it just works out better for me..

i used to use a bbb on my scalp but i suspect that dad threw it away because i left it in the sink (he gets really mad when i leave my hair stuff out)

MissMB
June 22nd, 2010, 04:34 PM
This Conair paddle brush is what I've been using for probably about 3 years. It has a gel grip and goes for about $7 - $9. It works great with my hair.

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/7932/h5655u67u.jpg

And here is my Conair wide-toothed shower comb. This thing seems to tighten my tangles and form ones that weren't there in the first place. I use it with conditioner in my hair. It looks like it would only be good for someone with short hair. Has anyone had better luck with this thing?

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/1420/g4hg54h546h.jpg

Spike
June 22nd, 2010, 04:37 PM
Ball tipped bristles for the win!!

I have one at each office, and one at home.

Pandora.
June 22nd, 2010, 04:46 PM
I need both my comb AND brush - neither one or the other! :p

freckles
June 22nd, 2010, 05:00 PM
Just dropping by to say that I ordered a Tangle Teezer after hearing good things about it in this thread, and I absolutely love it! It doesn't rip out any hair at all, and it gets through tangles so easy. It's also awesome on wet hair. It's really great for updos, too. All those bristles make for a smooth finish.

I'm glad you like it :) I'm in love with the tangle teezer :crush: I have two (a compact and a normal) and won't be anyplace without one on me. And I agree, hair is so smooth after using it!

Tresses
June 22nd, 2010, 05:52 PM
Ball tipped bristles for the win!!

I have one at each office, and one at home.

I loved my ball tipped bristle brush until my hair got long enough that it kept getting tangled by the brush. (If you don't clear the ends completely, they get caught on the balls and carried back up to the scalp on the next stroke.)

jane53
June 22nd, 2010, 05:55 PM
Ball-tipped bristles tear the he11 out of my hair.

I think we each use what works for us and it tends to be different for everyone.

MissManda
June 22nd, 2010, 06:27 PM
I remember when I was younger, I would brush my hair and I would get scolded for it because my grandmother thought it didn't do anything for my hair. Then I'd fingercomb and I'd get scolded for that as well. Then she'd insist that I use a pick, which never, ever made sense to me because it doesn't do anything to my hair and doesn't get the knots out at all.

I don't like most combs because they simply don't get through my hair. I am currently experimenting with a wooden wide-tooth comb, but I can only use it while I am detangling my hair in the shower. That's it. I'd like to try a horn comb sometime, however.

I refuse to give up on brushing my hair. :D I think brushing gives me more body, shape and shine while a comb just leaves my hair looking flat and piece-y.

I have two wooden brushes. One has bristles with a ball-shape at the end and the other has straight wooden bristles. I like them both because they go through my hair without a struggle and get the tangles out. They are much gentler than any plastic brushes I've used.

I also have a BBB. It won't penetrate my hair at all, but it distributes oils nicely and makes my hair so soft. :)

I find that brushing my hair is very calming and relaxing and I feel happy when I do it. I have no idea why.

I'd love to try a Tangle Teezer sometime! I've heard nothing but good things about it and it sounds like something that would be useful for my hair. Heck, I think DBF (also a brusher) would like one because I hate to see him ripping his hair out while he brushes (he doesn't know how to brush properly and he won't listen to me).

ifyouforget
June 22nd, 2010, 06:42 PM
Absolutely must have a brush. As others have said, a comb just yanks far too much- My big old paddle brush works much better to separate the tangles, rather than just pull on them.

may1em
June 22nd, 2010, 08:45 PM
I play for both sides, but prefer brushing overall. I like brushing more, especially for the scalp action.

I have:
A Bass wooden paddle-ish brush (LOVE, has wooden quills and everything - but the bristle pad is coming loose)
A hybrid BBB and nylon bristle paddle brush from Sallys that I mostly use for blow drying my bangs.
A Goody copper bristle paddle brush that I kind of hate and would totally swap away. It has those little balls on the bristles, and it tangles my hair horribly.
A Body Shop wooden comb (this is pretty fantastic for detangling dry hair, but I'm somehow still dissatisfied with it)
Two plastic wide-toothed combs that I de-seamed with an xacto knife - one lives in the shower for detangling in there.
And a Denman-style rat tail comb that I use for my bangs and making parts.

BlueMuse
June 22nd, 2010, 09:23 PM
I've got a goody ouchless brush and I really like it. I'm not a huge fan of combs and BBB's don't seem to really do anything for me except turn me into a static generator.

Ice~Cold~Wind
June 23rd, 2010, 06:24 PM
When I joined here, I went 'comb only', but I really miss my brush and am thinking of getting a wooden brush.

I have seen a few posts above mention combs only increased their splits.... can someone explain to me why/ how? I feel like I have more splits since comb only, but I thought it was because my length was longer than I was used to.......

I've been having the same problem. Ever since I started comb only I seem to have way more splits than with a brush.

ETA:
Favorite brushing routine:
Comb when wet or dry
Sometimes brush if my hair is frizzy and it needs smoothed(I use a bore bristle brush)

Kome
June 23rd, 2010, 06:40 PM
I used brushes up until the last 6 months. I LOVE MY COMB. My hair needs a comb. I never knew it until I tried it and WOW. What a difference for me. It definately depends on your hair. I just wish I'd known sooner!

Yozhik
June 23rd, 2010, 08:37 PM
I :love: my tangle teezer. I also love my horn comb and my BBB, though :)

Jenn of Pence
June 24th, 2010, 10:17 AM
I've been having the same problem. Ever since I started comb only I seem to have way more splits than with a brush.

I find my hair getting caught and pulled by my comb more than a brush. I think it's because my hair is really thick and my comb teeth are really fine. If I increased the spacing a bit it might not catch so much. Someone with finer hair might have great success with combs, if I had to guess.

So, I'm considering getting a new brush, and I'm leaning towards either a Denman or a wooden bristle brush, but I'd love some input. Anyone with thick, 1b-to-2a hair have any suggetions for what they like?

jane53
June 24th, 2010, 10:31 AM

I quit using a comb at all.

It really does tear up my hair. My hair is strong and healthy and happy without any splits if I use just a brush. As soon as I try combing, I get splits again.

No thank you!

kmoc123
June 24th, 2010, 12:58 PM
I need a new brush simular to the Mason Pearson Large Popular Bristle and Nylon, but I am a poor artist and can't afford a $120.00 hairbrush....

Gnomentum
June 24th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Yup, another brusher here - I have a nylon wide toothed comb with the mould lines carefully filed away, but I just can't take to it.. so, it's either my denman nylon brush, my denman bristle and nylon brush or just finger combing. I was feeling like I was getting it wrong til I read this thread!

SpinDance
June 24th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Whatever works! This is what I consider a 'comb': http://www.etsy.com/transaction/16003944

That's my usual one. I have a very wide tooth bone one, too, more like a short, very widely spaced pick, only wider, that I'll use once in a while. Other than that, just my fingers. Maybe one day I'll try a bbb, but I had terrible experiences with 'brushes' when I was younger, and have been afraid to try!

Alaia
June 24th, 2010, 04:24 PM
I switched to a comb when I joined originally. It worked, but my combs get dirty much quicker than my brush (maybe it's just because I can see it more? :/ ) plus it takes a lot longer, and I cannot get a comb through my wet hair. I have a number of Kent combs, varying styles and tine spaces, and one L'oreal wood comb (the first one I got because it is smooth) which could be a lethal weapon considering the sharp point of the handle.

I bought about a year ago a wide-spaced brush. I loved it but my hair tore the little rubber thing out of the wooden case.

So I went and bought a small denman paddle brush, and haven't looked back since ;)

It's not a fancy one, it cost £6 in Boots. I saw Mason Pearson brushes in Harrods and I lusted after them, but sadly they are completely out of my price range.

whoanellie
June 24th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Brusher here! A couple of months ago I bought a Mason Pearson brush. While I love it and threw out my nylon ball-bristle brush when I got it, I almost wonder if brushing with it ends up making the hair closest to my scalp get oilier faster. I'm tempted to buy another cheap nylon ball-bristle brush again to do a little comparison. I admit I kind of like the feel of the ball-bristle brush on my scalp a little better than the Mason Pearson. :P

I only comb my hair right out of the shower because I cannot stand how it just kind of clumps together otherwise, it needs a little combing.

mizk5110
June 24th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Another brusher here! :D I bought a paddle BBB from Ulta shortly after I joined, and would first brush with my Goody nylon-ball paddle brush, then with the BBB at bedtime, and just with the Goody brush during the day. I saw a more growth in the three months I did that than I have since I started mainly combing back in February. My hair and scalp apparently love brushing more than combing!! So, I'm switching back to my nighttime brushing regime...which has multiple benefits, as DH will notice that I'm brushing and will take over with the BBB. :heartbeat
I'm also a "wet brusher"...:o

Ice~Cold~Wind
June 26th, 2010, 09:51 PM
So, I'm considering getting a new brush, and I'm leaning towards either a Denman or a wooden bristle brush, but I'd love some input. Anyone with thick, 1b-to-2a hair have any suggetions for what they like?

I would definitely recommend a qaulity boar bristle brush. :)

Toadstool
June 27th, 2010, 04:00 AM
Tangle teasers didn't work for my hair - I think it's too thick or something, it was like it couldn't get through.
I ended up giving it to my friend for her dog.

MissMB
June 29th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Hey fellow brushers. I bought a Goody Ouchless paddle brush.

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/7761/f43f34g.jpg

I was really optimistic about it. While it is in fact nearly painless, I feel like instead of pulling the tangles out, it may just be breaking the hairs off. I keep hearing/feeling the snapping of hairs breaking when I use it. :wail:

Any idea what that is about?

twolunarspring
June 30th, 2010, 07:18 AM
I brush fairly regularly with a Babyliss BBB - I am WO, so theoretically I ought to brush every day but I am blatantly too lazy to do that! I do run a horn comb through it first, though, to get all the big tangles out. I do think it does a lot of good for the oil distribution, and my husband loves how it looks when freshly-brushed (I don't!) and will sometimes ask to do it for me, which I adore ♥

If I had someone to do it for me every day, then I would be very happy with that!

Bluegrass Babe
July 4th, 2010, 09:03 PM
I am addicted to brushing! :p

I select my brush according to what I want at the moment: slight resistance/tugging on scalp, nubby scalp massage, or that slippery hot-knife-thru-butter feeling.

Like MissManda - I find it relaxing, (especially while reading or tv watching) and calming (I also brush when anxious, upset or restless). And whoanellie is right - those nubs feel like heaven for your head!

Of course, I also use them for oil distribution, detangling, smoothing, styling, and the occassional low heat / gentle air blow dry.

I'll try to post a pic of all my brushes later.
One is a ball-tipped plastic pinned tourmaline-infused paddle brush by Vidal Sassoon - for blowdrying.
One is a nylon bristle brush (not too tightly bristled) - generic,
One is a 50/50 nylon/boar bristle cushion brush by Conair,
One is an all flexible, slick, plastic pin and cushion one-piece, palm-sized insert that broke out of a cushion brush that shattered on a tile floor - for the hot-knife-thru-butter anxiety brushing and all-time favorite - generic.

Is it possible to brush too much? I've always shed a lot and still have 3 inch diameter ponytail - so I'm not too worried...:rolleyes:

Bluegrass Babe
July 4th, 2010, 09:33 PM
My hair brush collection:
http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/y371/Bluegrass-Babe/th_nikonpics007.jpg (http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/y371/Bluegrass-Babe/nikonpics007.jpg)

kmoc123
July 5th, 2010, 07:55 AM
I have a "bbb/stiffer" bristle mix brush and one of those plastic ball tipped brush but all of the little balls have popped off...it really feels sooooo good on my scalp...my hair is pretty thick. I don't use the white brush until the tangles are out with a wide tooth comb, but I love the way it feels on my scalp. My kids hate that brush...they say it hurts.

Amelia
July 5th, 2010, 08:22 AM
I haven't comb my hair since I was two years old. All my life I have either made a bigger mess that it already was or breaking combs:justy: (this smilie really looks like me lol)

I believed firmly that I couldn't go without a brush, until last saturday when i bought a wooden comb and it actually worked! I still have my brush (also wood) around just in case something happens, because my faith in combs isn't that big. I'm waiting for there to be a catch somewhere :laugh:

Just to say that i was right. there was a catch:ponder:

I bought a paddle(is that what you call it? it's rectangular) wooden bristle brush and i haven't been happier. It doesn't tear my hair, and gets the work done. It penetrates under all the hair i have and really detangles the monster.
Most importantly, i have as little as 6 hairs in it when i finish brushing. With the stupid comb i would have more than 100 for sure:mad:

Bluegrass Babe
July 5th, 2010, 12:58 PM
The Body Shop has discontinued the wooded quill brush!!:(It is no longer in the shop or online in USA. It is on clearance online in the UK.

I know they are still available through Earth Theraputics, but I like to inspect my merchandise and get a feel for it in my hands. Any suggestions?

HintOfMint
July 5th, 2010, 01:28 PM
And here is my Conair wide-toothed shower comb. This thing seems to tighten my tangles and form ones that weren't there in the first place. I use it with conditioner in my hair. It looks like it would only be good for someone with short hair. Has anyone had better luck with this thing?

That is my general detangling comb. I use it after the shower on wet hair, and on dry hair. For detangling, I am a comb person for the following reason: with a brush, I'll just rip through the tangles. A comb allows me to identify a tangle and isolate it so I can detangle with my fingers. So I guess I don't really use a brush or comb to detangle really.

However, whenever I can, I will brush with my BBB. I love the way it feels on my scalp and how it gives a gorgeous finish.

Bluegrass Babe
July 6th, 2010, 05:36 PM
May I suggest something? When referring to brushes we should make more of a distinction between nylon bristles and nylon pins. Sometimes I get confused until I see a picture. Usually pins are white, sometimes ball-tipped, and bristles are black. But I have seen the rarer white bristles. I'm a newbie and I think this would help others. I'm not trying to be nit-picky; I promise! :o

My most used brushes:
http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/y371/Bluegrass-Babe/nikonpics007.jpg
Jilbere shower comb from Sally's

Conair boar and nylon bristle

slick, super flexible, one-piece insert from broken generic cushion brush
(Pulled off ball-tips as they caused drag)

Vidal Sassoon tourmaline-infused ball-tipped paddle brush for blow drying
(It's supposed to make hair shiny - I like the tips on my scalp)

generic Wal-mart bristle brush without cushioned base
(Good for cleaning out lint I get from fleece couch blanket)

Bluegrass Babe
July 6th, 2010, 06:08 PM
magicatt -
Where did you get your boar bristle and nlyon ball-tipped brush?

Ariane88 -
A wooden quill and boar bristle brush!? Is that a fantasy brush or do they exist? If they do I want one!!

All the tangle teezer owners -
Is there a variation in the size of the regular one and compact one? Since they only gave one size (8.5x10.5cm) I'm inferring that "compact" refers only to the snap on bristle cover and not to smaller size. What was the total price in US dollars after converting currency and including shipping?

Bass brush owners -
Are these available only online or can I buy them at a brick and mortar store? I went to buy a wooden quill brush from The Body Shop, but they are discontinued. Boo-hoo.

I also want one of these with looped nylon bristles:
http://www.sallybeauty.com/?sku=SBS-284850

I may need a twelve step program soon. CAN'T. STOP. BRUSHING.

freckles
July 7th, 2010, 06:33 AM
I was tempted by one of those scented denman brushes the other day (the coconut one) ... I'm still considering. But my tangle teezers work so well and I think they've reduced breakage versus a 'normal' brush, so I'm not sure.