PDA

View Full Version : how to use evoo

fisher2
May 8th, 2010, 07:36 PM
how would you apply olive oil? it seems expensive like 8$ a bottle around here for cheap stuff from supermarket

GuinevereMay
May 8th, 2010, 07:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qEjtkQ6OLc

fisher2
May 8th, 2010, 07:49 PM
also anyother oils work? like canola oil for cooking?

anrems
May 9th, 2010, 12:07 PM
I used olive oil on my hair yesterday. What I did was I poured about 2 oz of evoo into a mug and warmed it in the microwave for 15 secs. Then I coated my ends with the majority of the oil over the sink and used the rest of the oil all over my head. I let it sit in a high bun while I took a steamy hot shower for 20 mins and then did a really good shampoo to get it all out. It took about 5 minutes to get it all washed out. Then I did a little conditioner and was done! It made my hair really silky, I liked it a lot! Good luck!

Speckla
May 9th, 2010, 12:09 PM
You can mix it with a cheap conditioner to spread it out and make it last longer. A little really does go a long way.....especially with a heavy oill

Capybara
May 9th, 2010, 12:24 PM
I use it like I typically use any other oil. If it's just a daily oiling, I'll put a few drops in my palm, wait a few seconds for it to heat up a bit, then rub my hands together to spread it out and warm it up some more, than I'll apply it to my hair from the ends up. I do a few drops at a time, but I'll pour out some more if I need to.

If I want to do a DT, I'll heat up a larger amount of oil and apply it to my hair. If I'm doing it on someone else, I'll use a large paintbrush (I have a homemade one just for this purpose :) ) but I find this method a little difficult on myself.

HTH! And remember, do what works for you :D

spidermom
May 9th, 2010, 12:32 PM
The best oils I have heard for hair are: EVOO, apricot kernal oil, avocado oil, and coconut oil. Some also like jojoba and sweet almond oil. Of those, EVOO is probably the least expensive. It can go a very long way. At your length, I believe I was using 2-3 drops at a time, maybe 1/2 teaspoon if I wanted to do a heavy oiling. My favorite is coconut oil because I like the scent. I always wait until my scalp hair is getting oily with sebum, then I apply oil to the bottom half of my length and comb through, then braid for overnight or longer. I never have trouble washing it out with my usual CWC with diluted shampoo.

fisher2
May 9th, 2010, 01:04 PM
so what about canola oil?

Calista
May 9th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Wow, is it really that expensive in the USA? Here the cheapest olive oil is €2,99 for a 750ml bottle (size of a bottle of wine). Itīs what I use for frying and cooking all the time.

fisher2
May 9th, 2010, 01:36 PM
well i can find it for 6$ but i dont have that

Calista
May 9th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Canola oil would work as well, I think (and thanks for telling me a different name for that oil - I only knew it by the name of rapeseed oil - a singularly unappealing name ;) ). The main purpose of oiling is to seal moisture into the hair, and pretty much any kind of oil would serve that purpose. Some oils may have additional benefits, but if canola is what you have on hand by all means try it.