PDA

View Full Version : How much "back up" to keep on hand for hair?

Rini
May 7th, 2008, 11:04 PM
I ask this because I thought I was so clever this morning with my lovely new hairstick style (a variation of the stick knot), but then when I got to work it started loosening up and I'm pretty sure it's because my stick is not long enough.:eek: Of course I don't have another one in my handbag and I'm wishing now that I'd brought a "back up" stick with me.

What do you keep in your handbag/car for hair emergencies? All I have is a soft hairtie and some bobby pins, but I'm thinking I'll add a hairstick and maybe a horn comb....:ponder:

LilyMunster
May 7th, 2008, 11:09 PM
I carry a couple waveLength u pins, a wooden stick, a horn comb and a Buff. Basically stuff that can be stuffed into my backpack and not break. I've used them all at one time or another.

hrimfaxi
May 7th, 2008, 11:09 PM
I keep a couple of hair ties in my pocket and usually my 4" Quattro helix fork as well, since that can stand up to a beating in my pocket and holds no matter what.

Cinnamon Hair
May 7th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Good idea for a post! I keep a seamless comb with a satin scrunchie wrapped around it in my car glove box and a cheapy fakkare plastic beak clip. Nothing for hair in my purse though unless I'm wearing it down (not likely).

meichigo
May 7th, 2008, 11:31 PM
I attempt to keep a few hair bands and some kind of clip (usually a flexi-8) or a chopstick on hand but what usually happens is I go "What's in my bag?" then pull something out, use it, take it out later and leave it lying around the house. Generally I find it's the hairbands I misplace the most; I put them on my wrist and then take them off if later.

Patrycja
May 7th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Sunci Ouchless Hairbands(black).

No matter what,I can always go back to a ponytail LOL

ajr
May 7th, 2008, 11:56 PM
I wear my hair down a lot so I have a brush in my car, and usually I'll keep a fork or a hair tie in my back pocket.

aisling
May 7th, 2008, 11:57 PM
In my purse I keep a soft elastic, a smooth comb, a bent double pointed knitting needle and usually also a Ficcare, my silver matte or black Ficcarissimo go with most things I wear.

Masara
May 7th, 2008, 11:59 PM
I have a small comb and a ficcare in the back pocket of my school bag. I should add a couple of eastics.

Kiraela
May 8th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Lets see, I typically keep at least two or three sticks of various colors in my purse, so that I'll have something to match whatever I'm wearing, and when I go out, I tuck my brush in the back pocket of my purse just in case. I've almost always got a scrunchie on at least one wrist, often both... I think that covers it.

I've also got a stick by the stove in the kitchen, and one by the computer, and one in the bathroom, since I'm too lazy to hunt one down when I need to clean the cat box or cook, etc.

jessie58
May 8th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Just the other day I added to my purse stash, 4 hair sticks of varying lengths, 2 elastics, 2 small claw clips and 2 medium claw clips. I have gotten desperate in the past and even pulled out a string from my hoodie to tie my hair back recently.

eadwine
May 8th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Only a toweling elastic. I can always put it in a braid then. :)

akka naeda
May 8th, 2008, 02:27 AM
I have a little zipped bag I made specially for the purpose which contains a pair of 6" starlites, several elastics, a comb for me and then some slides for my daughter although as she's got older she loses her elastics and slides less when she's out

florenonite
May 8th, 2008, 02:38 AM
I've got a pair of sticks, a single stick and a wavelength pin in my handbag. I also keep two thin elastics around my wrist and two thicker ones currently in my pocket (they'll migrate to my wrist once they've stretched a wee bit).

Liluri
May 8th, 2008, 03:06 AM
I have a small wood comb and a couple of snagless hair ties and I usually have a stick as a back up in my bag but I don't atm, though I think I might add one now ;)

Amoretti
May 8th, 2008, 03:09 AM
I must like living dangerously; I don't keep anything! LOL.

shrimp
May 8th, 2008, 03:29 AM
One pair of short ketylos (my least favourite sticks so not too precious about them but I know they will work).

That's it.

rhosyn_du
May 8th, 2008, 03:42 AM

<austin powers> I also like to live dangerously. </austin powers>

Er, I mean, I don't keep anything with me, either, although I've wished a couple times that I had. There's nothing quite like breaking your hair toy on the way to a fancy party and having to stop at Long's to try to find something that you can make do with.

Juliet's Silk
May 8th, 2008, 03:59 AM
It depends on which hairtoy I'm using. If I use a Ficcare or one of my hairforks I know that I won't need anything else because my hair will stay put and if it won't because I did a not-so-secure hairstyle the hairtoy is versatile enough that I can just do something different.
When I wear my hair down I always carry a Ficcare or at least a hair elastic with me because I just know that I'll want to put it up after some time. Same when I'm using a hairtoy of which I know that it isn't as secure as it should be (hairsticks, barrettes etc). I always carry my Ficcare or three amish pins with me in this case.
I recently bought a pair of Quattro Star Lites (the sticks) because I need something I can put in my bag and forget about it - the Ficcare is a bit too bulky for that.

AprilElf
May 8th, 2008, 04:12 AM
If scootering to work, I'll have in my bag my comb and stick/fork I'm going to wear on shift. Otherwise I don't carry anything extra.

tiny_teesha
May 8th, 2008, 04:18 AM
I keep a stick, perhaps a bobby pin and a hair tye (no metal bands!) That's it really.... lol

Just_Isabel
May 8th, 2008, 04:23 AM
I always carry stuff with me, I usually put them in my backpack or bag and forget about them.

When my hair was longer I used to carry my VK designs hairsticks everywhere - as well as whatever I'd forgotten I had in the bag. Now I usually have 1 - 3 elastics, some small claw clips, maybe a cheap plastic fork.

swanns
May 8th, 2008, 04:38 AM
I always have a hair tie or two around my wrist or in my bag, usually a few bobby pins too.

jel
May 8th, 2008, 04:42 AM
I always carry my wooden detangling comb, a towelling elastic and a single Ketylo. Unlike shrimp, Ketylos are my favourite sticks - they hold slippery, wet, dry, oiled, clean or dirty hair firmly, but are very light. And beautiful! The colours I have mostly blend with my hair anyway.

I don't remember having a hair emergency as such, though - most of the time I use my 'stash' just to put up my hair in the car so it doesn't tangle when I wear it down.

cindy58
May 8th, 2008, 05:06 AM
I'll say one thing -- don't just toss your items in your purse. Things get broken that way. After some expensive breakage (earrings too), I finally put a zippered bag inside my purse with some small ziplocs inside to keep items in.

I carry a horn comb in my purse, have one in my desk. I like to have a hair stick, elastic, and barrette available.

DecafJane
May 8th, 2008, 05:30 AM
I usually have multiple hair elastics in the pockets of my jeans. Having read more of this great thread, I'm inclined to leave a hardy stick or two in my handbag from now on. ;)

icydove
May 8th, 2008, 06:00 AM
I used to keep two or three Amish pins and a hair hosiery elastic in the diaper bag. I don't think I keep anything around these days, but I probably should. I don't keep hair sticks around because I don't want them to be damaged, although I do have a hair fork in my purse where I took it out of my hair the other day.

Curlsgirl
May 8th, 2008, 06:03 AM

:eek: :thud:

I keep a wooden comb, flexi 8, several elastics, a hair stick, usually a hair fork or a Ficcare or both and sometimes a scrunchi. I also am growing out my bangs and I keep some bendy clips and maybe some tiny claw clips. Yep I am PREPARED! Often I get headaches and have to redo whatever I have my hair in that day.

Medvssa
May 8th, 2008, 06:09 AM
I keep a claw, with that I can always put all of my hair up, or half up. My hair is not very long or very thick.

Les
May 8th, 2008, 06:12 AM
I have hundreds of stashes of ponytail holders scatters around the globe - just in case. Several at home, two different places in my work bag, a handful in my desk, several in the car, etc... I also keep combs scattered at similar strategic locations.

I don't have many hairtoys (1 stick, 2 forks and 3 tailcuffs) and I usually keep the active one (when its not in my hair) in my shirt pocket and the rest live in my work bag.

Ursula
May 8th, 2008, 06:12 AM
I keep a comb and a pair of 6" sticks in my computer bag. In addition, I tend to use hair elastics as rubberbands, so there are several of those holding my laptop cord, packs of 3x5 cards, and other bits of things. So I can always swipe one of those for a braid, as well.

Loviatar
May 8th, 2008, 07:31 AM
I have a red Chinese-silk covered lipstick holder (for 2 lipsticks, so it's a decent size and has a mirror in the lid) in which i keep all my hair emergency stuff. Then that goes in my bag.

I keep on hand:

2 black snag free elastics (black goes with everything)
a mini horn comb
a mini pot of aloe gel (decanted)
my Quattro starlites, 4 inch
three Amish pins (I can hold a bun up with 2 but 3 is more secure)
one dark green towelling elastic

I also keep my plainest black Ficcare large Max in my bag just in case I need it. It's the one I am least worried about damaging.

shrimp
May 8th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Unlike shrimp, Ketylos are my favourite sticks - they hold slippery, wet, dry, oiled, clean or dirty hair firmly, but are very light. And beautiful! The colours I have mostly blend with my hair anyway.

Ah, no! You misunderstand! (Which havign reread my op is perfectly understandbale!) :flower:

I :inlove: Ketylos - just not this particular pair (they are carnival and I don't like the colours much - just not really me, plus they are 5" and I prefer 6").
That's why I always have these, I know they will function perfectly no matter what. It's just that I wouldn't be heartbroken if they somehow got broke. Unlike my other ketylos which are far too precious to be carted around in a rucksack.

Altocumulus
May 8th, 2008, 07:38 AM
I have a comb (rarely used) and several ouchless elastics with me at all times. I just got some Amish pins...maybe I'll start carrying a few around with me.

Anje
May 8th, 2008, 07:41 AM
I usually have an extra hair tie and a small comb in my pocket, so if all else fails, I can put my hair in a braid. Often, I'll also have a U-bent double-pointed knitting needle on hand, so hair can be put up quickly.

Magdalene
May 8th, 2008, 07:43 AM
I don't typically carry much with me- as long as I have a pencil, I can always do a bun!

What I do have when I bring stuff: I do sometimes keep those LONG elastics (the kind that can be a headband OR a ponytail holder) around my wrist- that way I can headband, braid, or bun if I need to contain my hair when it's down. I often also have a steel (my hair eats plastic) jaw clip clamped onto my purse (sometimes more than one if I've been forgetful).

I also have one of those fold up into a compact type brushes in my big purse. Little purse I just usually have a small pocket comb for emergency smoothing.

birdiefu
May 8th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Most days I just stick with whatever is already in my hair and don't bring anything else along with me. But, if I am planning on wearing my hair down, I will take a comb and ficcare or stick/fork (depending on what's already in my hair) and sometimes a barrette or slide if I think I might do a half-up.

But my car often contains a comb and S&D scissors. Sometimes a stick or other hairtoy lives in there for a while, too. I have a bad habit of leaving hairtoys all around the house and try not to put too many in the car or diaper bag since I'm afraid they would get lost.

AJoifulNoise
May 8th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Believe it or not, I used to take everything with me (and keep it in the car). But, that was when "everything" fit in an oversized spacemaker box. That was also when I had far less trust in my styles. I didn't have certain go-to styles.

At the moment I have in my car: several ouchless hair ties, a comb, and a brush. Usually that covers it because I can only dutch braid in an emergency. Any other tool I might need is probably already on my head (stick).

Guenever
May 8th, 2008, 09:34 AM
I always bring a plain wooden stick that I KNOW will hold, bobby pins and a pair of small jaw clips.. that's my survival kit during the day^^

embee
May 8th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I have a small zippered bag which holds extra car key, magnifier, roll-up tape measure (I used to work in Antiques), meds, chapstick, and a hair elastic, a comb, a plain Goody stay-tight 3" barrette.

After reading this thread I have now added a chopstick I had cut down and sanded and stained dark. If it breaks I'll make another, for it will hold my hair. :)

Islandgrrl
May 8th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Hmmm...going through the inventory now.... I have a couple of inexpensive kid sized chopsticks in the stash-box in my car, as well as a couple of hair friendly elastics.

I have an inexpensive fakkare in my purse along with at least one hair elastic, and a buff which seems to come in really handy for a number of things: under-bike-helmet hair protector, headband, scrunchie, scarf, and most recently I used it as a swim-cap so that my goggles wouldn't slide off my head while swimming laps.

salamander
May 8th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I keep fairly new (as in, not sharpened down much yet) pencils in my purse and backpack, just one tucked in there somewhere, because if my hair is suddenly getting in my way, I can always just put it up with a pencil. Pencils are great hairsticks, and you can write with them, too! Some pencils are even pretty.

angelthadiva
May 8th, 2008, 09:55 AM
What a great idea for a thread! :D

I have various sticks in my purse along with my horn comb, hair friendly elastics and bobby pins. Fakkare in my book bag and hair friendly elastics, hair friendly elastics in my purse and in my desk drawer at work...Pretty much where ever I go, I'm covered and can at least pull my hair back into a ponytail...I used to carry a headscarf in my book bag (came in real handy)...I was a dork for taking it out, could have really used it yesterday during a down pour. :(

teela1978
May 8th, 2008, 09:59 AM
I drive a stickshift, so the shifter is wrapped with a jaw clip and a few hair ties. I also usually stash a few in my messenger bag. If I'm out I can usually find a pen or pencil or a dreaded rubberband to hold me over.

GlennaGirl
May 8th, 2008, 10:01 AM
All I ever really keep with me is a scrunchee. (How do you spell that?) If a style totally fails, I can always rake back the bangs with my fingers--they're about mouth length right now--and flip the rest up into a messy bun.

Periwinkle
May 8th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Hairclips, elastics, brush.

Nynaeve
May 8th, 2008, 10:20 AM
I usually keep a hairtie, a fork, and my scroos with me.

wendyg
May 8th, 2008, 10:32 AM
I'm almost with amoretti - I carry a small comb, and that's it.

Of course, I *also* don't carry a handbag. Perish the thought.

wg

Tapioca
May 8th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Hmm. In my purse, I keep a set of homemade sticks, a mister bottle, a comb, and a few good hair days pins. There are elastics around the gear shifter in my car and claw clips on the sun visor. In the restroom at work, I have a little toiletry bag with a brush, another mister bottle, a mirror, some small elastics, and some good hair days pins. I usually grab what I intend to use that day and stash it in my purse until my hair is somewhat dry.

AJoifulNoise
May 8th, 2008, 10:59 AM
I'm almost with amoretti - I carry a small comb, and that's it.

Of course, I *also* don't carry a handbag. Perish the thought.

wg

I don't carry a bag, either. So, it's whatever is in my car or fits in my pockets!

CurlyNinja
May 8th, 2008, 11:01 AM
I keep anywhere between 1 and 5 hair elastics in my pocket and backpack each. (They just kind of tend to wind up there!) and sometimes I keep a black plastic hairstick or two on hand.

Orchidee
May 8th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Usually one elastic and a comb as I either wear it loose or put my hair up in a way I hope it will stay that way for the rest of the day, because I'm afraid I can't re-do it 'freestyle' as nice at school :p

thunderlilies
May 8th, 2008, 12:33 PM
I generally have elastics in my purse and in my pickup somewhere... except usually what happens is when I need something to secure my hair, nothing is to be foiund - or else I forget that they're there!

Nynaeve
May 8th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Honestly, when I said I keep a hairtie with me, I really mean like a ribbon or length of leather or something, I haven't seen a ponytail tie in months...

Euphony
May 8th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Oh man, I'm awful!
In my purse I have~
one Flexi 8
one or two Ficcares (currently only one)
3 Graydog sticks
one nice and long Catstyle stick
a super cute stick with a moon on top
one bohn hair comb
one wooden hair comb
coconut oil
shea butter

In my car (on the visor)~
one or two Ficcares
one VK stick
a plastic claw clip
2 barrettes
on the other visor is another plastic claw clip (I never use them, I don't know why they are there)

On the gear shift handle~
one scrunchi
2 hair ties

In the glove box~
one slide
a plastic emergency comb

wendyg
May 8th, 2008, 03:23 PM
euphony, you're not carrying backup. The car and purse are where you store your hair toys.

wg

Euphony
May 8th, 2008, 03:37 PM
euphony, you're not carrying backup. The car and purse are where you store your hair toys.

wg
hahaha I was thinking the same thing, but then started running through my mind what is in my basket at home. I keep telling my husband I'm going to put some stuff on the swap board (shhhhh that way I can buy more hair toys :D).

heidi w.
May 8th, 2008, 03:42 PM
THE LONG HAIRED BE PREPARED KIT

I carry in my purse: a comb, long bobbypin/hair pins (around 10), things for tying a braided ponytail off, and 2 hair sticks all for emergencies!

In my glove box of my car I have a scarf.

I would recommend for some a clip that can hold your hair (claw clips and ficcare's used to work for me, but not anymore). Just in case you need to pull your hair away from the seatbelt and not be distracted, for example, or a wind kicks up wherever you are.

A headband can be useful in the glove box too, to draw hair off the face while driving.

A scrunchie.

A spare plastic cheapie comb.

This doesn't include my other emergency supplies such as a knife and fork and spoon, a flashlight, tape.....and the trunk .... spare change of clothes in case I have to deal with the car (or a cloth to lay down on -- old towel), battery jumper cables, an empty gas can, spare rags, ducttape ... that kinda thing... but I digress.

Then there's chapstick!

heidi w.

Rain
May 8th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I used to have a ton of stuff - a mister with oil and water or some other sort of curl revitalizing spray, at least one type of comb, hair ties wrapped around a pen, bobby pins, Amish hairpins, steel sticks...I could go on. These days, I usually have one black and white Ketylo in there and that's it. If I go out with wet hair that I think I will want to put up later, I will select one hair toy and put it in my purse. I save the little drawstring bags that come with some hair toys and use them for this, especially with Ficcares or anything else I don't want to get scratched.

jojo
May 8th, 2008, 04:36 PM
I got ;my wooden comb,
2 scrunchies,
1 ficcare and a little pot of coconut oil,

just checked-i must be obsessed!!

Flying Betty
May 8th, 2008, 05:47 PM
I almost always have a rubber band around my wrist. I also keep a little brush in my purse and usually a stretchy headband. If all else fails, I can always steal a pen from somewhere :)

curls2grow
May 8th, 2008, 06:12 PM
I carry one of those seamless BLAX elastics with me, and a horn stick or horn comb. I use the elastics most. When I start wearing buns every day, I will have a few Good Hair Days pins with me also.

nowxisxforever
May 8th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I keep my wooden comb from The Body Shop as well 2/3 of the following: Hair fork, hair stick (or sticks), ficcare. I usually can locate a hairtie in there as well. I also typically have the toy in my hair, as I rarely -- RARELY -- wear it down.

joyful373
May 8th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Great ideas in this thread! I chuckled to myself when I read through and found "unbreakable" hairtoys...or taking the time to keep things from breaking. I must be a slow learner because I put things in my bag for work, and they fall to pieces. Because of that reason, I carry some black hosiery hair ties, and some clear ouchless hair ties. Sometimes a claw clip or a stick too... something simple. I finally broke my Buff out of hiding. That is my favorite weekend backup. It's too casual for work.
...joyful

Rini
May 8th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Oh my goodness....not even 24 hours later and we're up to 7 pages! :lol:

You girls are all so prepared, it's like a military operation.:guns: (now when would you ever get to use that smiley?)

I did try the pen thing yesterday, but by that time my hair was too soft from being handled and it was slipping all over the place. Plus I have the added frustration of it being at an awkward (too short) length to work with much right now. So I just had to use an elastic and put it in a ponytail with the end not pulled through (so it kinda looked like a bun from the back)

I can see now that I truly need to carry more back-up.....

(Did I read correctly that someone carries coconut oil and shea butter???? Now that's impressive!)

julya
May 9th, 2008, 01:05 AM
If I go out with a braid, I'll bring a back up hairstick and maybe a comb. If my hair is already in a bun I probably won't bring anything.

Angellen
May 9th, 2008, 02:29 AM
In my bag I usually have a scrunchie, regular hairtie, and a pair of plastic sticks. Sometimes I have a smaller tie in there as well. I used to keep clips, too, but the teeth break to easy to be thrown into a large tote.

jel
May 9th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Ah, no! You misunderstand! (Which havign reread my op is perfectly understandbale!) :flower:

I :inlove: Ketylos - just not this particular pair (they are carnival and I don't like the colours much - just not really me, plus they are 5" and I prefer 6").
That's why I always have these, I know they will function perfectly no matter what. It's just that I wouldn't be heartbroken if they somehow got broke. Unlike my other ketylos which are far too precious to be carted around in a rucksack.

Oh I see now, sorry! My Ketylos are all 6", and my hair is probably half of yours, so I can visualise your 5" being completely hidden in your bun :D

Also, the others reminded me that I also carry a Buff in my bag. I know I used it for the hairtoy challenge, but in my mind it's more of a headgear item.

Other necessary items that are *always* in my bag: mirror, make-up bag, ibuprofen, book or magazine, tissues, pen, umbrella. OK, I take the brolly out if I go on a trip abroad. :p

shrimp
May 9th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Oh I see now, sorry! My Ketylos are all 6", and my hair is probably half of yours, so I can visualise your 5" being completely hidden in your bun :D

meh! I wish they were less visible!!! :shrug: :wink:

(tries not to sulk too much about taper and shedding)

Eden Iris
May 9th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Elastics in the diaper bag and handbag, used to be all black but some kid colors are creeping in. There's also a green velvet scrunchie in my messenger bag that I've had since college, if you can believe that.

Generally my hair stays put when I go out so I don't need to do a lot of restyling on the fly. This is one of the few benefits of fine, not-terribly-thick hair.

Stephanie
May 9th, 2008, 12:11 PM
A seamless pocket comb (Kent, I believe), a couple of Good Hair Days Hairpins in faux tortoise (I think that's what they're called), a couple of "Ouchless" thin, large elastics, and a small, denim Ficcare.

kwaniesiam
May 9th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Right now just my denman brush and some metal free elastics. Before pretty much the same thing, since for me buns were a more special style. I found it much easier to just braid my hair when I wanted it back.

KaeleyAnne
May 9th, 2008, 07:20 PM
I keep a scrunchie attached to my backpack. I started that a long time ago (either during high school or during the first semester of college) so that I would have something to pull back my hair with if I forgot to wear it up on a day that I was going to be in the lab (I can always quickly and easily put my hair into a scrunchie bun). Other than that (and on non-school excursions when I don't have my backpack), I don't tend to carry anything extra with me.

mitabird
May 9th, 2008, 08:05 PM
I try to keep either a hair stick, ouchless band, ficcare or a claw clip in my bag.

Nynaeve
May 9th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Today I only carried my hair scroos as a backup. I didn't even think about it.

Rae~
May 14th, 2008, 07:24 AM
I pretty much always have a Quattro u-fork in the bottom of my bag somewhere, unless I've recently used it and forgotten to put it back. That and a small comb - and probably a metal-free hairband, if I dig around long enough - are all I carry on a regular basis.

If I'm having a particularly slippery hair day and I'm wearing either a stick or a fork, I'll also carry a clip (used to be a Maximas, now a Superclip) in case my hair decides to be completely uncooperative.

harley mama
May 14th, 2008, 07:40 AM
I carry a hair tie, a Ketylo stick and a small Flexi-8.
I also have a wooden comb but I don't use it.

j4zzin
May 14th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Good idea for a thread!

I always keep a comb, a scrunchie, a few elastics, and a claw clip in my purse!

jesamyn
May 14th, 2008, 10:12 AM
I don't carry anything that can be respectably called a purse. I keep a scrunchie and comb in the car, and another scrunchie in my work-satchel. Another comb resides in my desk at work.

Laululintu
May 14th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I carry a metal hairstick, and a pencil I use like a hairstick in my rucksack, in addition to a comb. I don't usually carry any back up hair kit in my handbags, bar one which is home to one of my The Body Shop wooden combs.

busnutmedic
May 14th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Small ponytail holder for a braid, maybe three bobby pins (the minimum).

Bonnie

blue_nant
May 15th, 2008, 06:51 AM
I keep a soft nylon small hairtie on my indicator switch thingie in my truck. No matter how nasty my hair gets, I can braid it and keep it from harm. The braid may look narsty but the hair will be safe.

Nothing else, though, and i only lose the braid end tie about annually and usually at home.

Y'all are making me think about more stuff, though, lol.

Kayleena
July 9th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Hi, everyone! :bluesmile I, too, often keep things in my purse for re-styling. I approach it slightly differently, though. I style my hair for the day – we'll call that Hairstyle A – then, depending on how my hair is behaving & also on the likelihood of Hairstyle A to look bad later, I will bring supplies for Hairstyle B & sometimes Hairstyle C. I check in with my purse on almost a daily basis to add & remove accessories accordingly. So, depending on the hairstyles, I could end up with my boar bristle brush, a regular comb, a tail comb, a hair pick, a small mirror, a headband, & different sizes of 2-balled hair ties, round hair ties, claw clips, regular clips, & barrettes. Wow, I didn't realize my list was so long! :laugh: :crazyq: I'm getting better at cscheck's 2-strand rope bun – the only updo I can do without help, which is great progress for me – so I may have to add in hair pins, bobby pins, & hairsticks {for decoration, since I still haven't mastered them}. Happy hairstyling! :) – **Lady Kayleena Victoria of the Performance Stage in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights**

socks
July 9th, 2008, 12:51 AM
I always have a hairtie or a length of ribbon in my purse for braiding, and I bring a pair of clips with me if I go out with my hair loose or in a braid.

Cinnamon.locks
July 9th, 2008, 01:12 AM
I carry 2 hairsticks, 2 fork sticks, 5 hairties; braided, crotched and slim cloth rubber bands. 1 wide tooth comb, 1 BBB brush, 1 small bottle of hair and face oil, aloe vera gel and cocoa butter mix.

I've used all at one time or another.

Riot Crrl
July 9th, 2008, 01:29 AM
My disaster recovery hairdo is peacock twist, and for some reason the cheapo big beak clips hold it better than anything else. Plus I'm not too worried about scratching them up on my keys and change. So that is what I carry around.

Elanor
July 9th, 2008, 03:43 AM
I always have a few bobby pins and a comb in my bag, and one or two elastics around my wrist (the comb is for my bangs only, the rest of the hair hasn't seen one for weeks now:D).

I also have a small jar of shea butter, which i use as lip balm, but I also put it in my hair if it gets frizzy. And in the summer I also carry my mister bottle with me.

Siava
July 9th, 2008, 06:20 AM
I'm terrible. I don't keep any backups on me. I take that back. There's a brush in my car, but I don't brush my hair anymore. :lol:

Chromis
July 9th, 2008, 06:41 AM
I don't normally keep any back-ups either. Too much fuss! I normally always have it up anyhow. On the rare occasion that it's down, I'll stick a Ficcare in my purse or the like, but it is promptly removed when I get home if it's not on my head by then. I carry small purses to keep me from toting too much around!

danacc
July 9th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I always intend for my hair to be up. But sometimes I plan to put it up in the car, then forget to bring a hairstick. (I'm a no-purse-or-other-bag person, too.)

So, in my car there is a wide-toothed comb, a dymondwood ketylo (because it goes with everything and it's not picky about moisture), a cheap, plastic stick that is kept there in case I grabbed the ketylo the day before and forgot to put it back, a scrunchie, and a large clip.

Ndnlady
July 9th, 2008, 10:44 PM
My scrunchies and my 2 pronged plastic fork looking thing from scunci sits in the glove box of my car just in case!:D