PDA

View Full Version : Bleached Hair Problem, please help

Carena
May 8th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Hi everyone, I found this website just recently and was wondering if anyone else here tried Loreal Platinum Pink lightning paste and what kind of results it gave you.

Here's what happened to my hair. I had them bleached couple of months ago with a regular bleach (3 times total) to get extra light look and my hair were alright. They were dry, but it wasnt disaster or anything, I did some salon treatments and some home treatments and they restored really well after couple of weeks.

Recently I went to another Hair Salon to touch up my roots and the hairdresser used the Platinum Pink paste on them. They went totally white in like 30 minutes and I was under impression that this paste is much more effective, yet gentle on your hair than bleach. I really liked the effect but then after I washed my hair I noticed that my hair are breaking very easily starting from the very roots that were touched up by this Platinum Pink paste, and I do not remember this happening when I did regular bleach.

How could this be? I can't believe that Loreal Products would do something like that while regular bleach worked just fine.... Any chance that it wasnt the paste but the hairdresser messed up something? I just cant believe this effect, it seemed like such a good quality product. They rest of my hair went through several bleaching processes and yet they appear to be healthier than the hair that were touched up by the Platinum only once.

Before I noticed how easily they break, I was totally under the impression that this paste was much better than bleach and I was so happy to across it that I planned on doing my touch ups with it in the future but now I'm afraid. I was wondering if anyone else here had any experience with this product or might have an idea what went wrong in my case...(.I swear I just cant believe it's the paste that did it). Thanks.

Julia

frizzalot
May 8th, 2010, 09:09 AM
welcome to the LHC :)

Is your hair fine?

Did your hair start to break the first time you washed it after having it done?

Did the hairstylist do a strand test first? Some people have different side effects to different products. It could be the paste was left on your hair too long.

are you 100% it breaking from the roots? how much virgin root do you have? The stylist could have got the paste on the previously bleached parts and it could be breaking from there?

Heidi_234
May 8th, 2010, 09:20 AM
When bleach is applied very close to the scalp it work much more efficiently because of the body heat. My guess it that the bleach was rather strong to begin with, and combined with the body heat even 30 minutes were way too much. I put streaks in my hair using this "no-ammonia professional bleach", folding the foils and clipping them close to my scalp, for mere 30 minutes, and I got maximum bleaching, and great amount of damage too.
Your hairstylist could have watched out for this better.

Carena
May 8th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. I needed to mention that I am currently living in Malaysia and the hair salons here are not really good. Although they do carry lots of good quality hair products- masks, dyes/bleaches etc I doubt that hairdressers in Malaysia are nearly as good as in the U.S. or Europe.

This is why I am not totally sure if the cause was really the bleach or maybe the guy who did my hair held them for too long. Because what I noticed they do sometime is put the paste on one side of the hair and then go to mix more of it for the other side while you sit there and wait as these hair already going through the process, not only that, but they apply it very slowly too, it takes them like 20-35 minutes to just apply it on and then they wrap them up and heat them with this "steaming device" for 30 minutes.

So basically I'd say it took him like 30 minutes to only apply it and *then* he left it for like 30 minutes under the heat device.

As for the questions, no its not overlap part that's breaking up but it was from the roots....although Im thinking maybe it was the hair that he left in for longer that the other (like I said he did it with interruptions, so some parts of my hair spent longer amount of time in this paste that the other). And no they did not do a hair stand test, they do not do such things here. And I dont know if they broke like that after my 1st wash, I didnt pay attention, I think it was my second wash when I simply decided to check how they are doing by touching and slightly pulling on them....I did it because they felt kind of spongy.

However even if the hairdresser messed it up, I dont understand why I didnt have this effect when I did the bleach on my 1st time. Because when I bleached them couple of months ago, I also went to a hair salon like this and the woman held my hair in the bleach for 40 minutes twice in the same day and even after all that I dont remember them breaking off like that.

I know that the Salons here are not really professional, I know what to expect when I go there, but I also know that my hair can withstand a lot of abuse. The first time I did it (the 2 bleach applications) my top hair got bleached all white (even after 1st time) but the areas that I colored brown in the past turned orange and it was very hard to make it as white as the top part of the head. So the very next day I went for another application, only this time the bleach was applied to the orange hair only and when they turned same color as the rest of the head they used a Loreal "Blonde shade" color on all of them to even out the tone and make it shiny. I probably spent about 4 hours or more in the bleach and dye during these 2 days. And only after the last application I noticed my hair starting to look dry and brittle. However they have restored very well in like 2 weeks after that. In a month they looked almost as good as new. I didnt have to trim off anything.

Based on that experience, I thought that if after all the abuse they went through the 1st time, they came out so well off then they should have no problem handling the Platinum Pink, it should have been like nothing for them. That's what my confusion is all about.

Bottom line is....I really want to continue using this Platinum Pink in the future despite how my hair reacted this time. I really really liked it.

By the way, they are looking much better already. I' m assuming I'm gonna have to go through the same home treatments and masks again like I did after the first time (I bleached the rest of my hair too, for the 5th time, after I touched up the roots, since the roots turned lighter than the rest and it was annoying so I went there next day and had the rest bleached again, it was done also with Platinum System- that one was 9%- this was before I noticed the breakage though). They are not spongy anymore, still dry, but looking much better. I guess its gonna be the same thing as the 1st time. It will take them about 2 weeks to replenish and after a month they should be back to normal. Its just a real headache to have to deal with all these post-treatments and stuff. I want to find an easier way to get this done next time, meaning without having to deal with them breaking off and waiting for them stop doing that.

Cholera
May 8th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Personally, I've noticed that Loreal dyes are very strong. I'd assume that would go for their bleaches as well. It sounds like a botched job to me, and that could have happened with most any strong bleach. One time I tried going from a semi-permanent bright red to a white in one go (I think I left it on for almost an hour) and when I washed it out, and combed through it, it was breaking off and felt slimy.

Alternately, you're going to need moisture and protein after that much bleaching, so if you're not opposed to home treatments I'd recommend a mayonnaise treatment, followed by an SMT (Snowy's Moisture Treatment: 4 parts conditioner, 1 part honey, 1 part aloe gel), and if you can get it, probably light oilings with coconut oil.

Amraann
May 8th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Hairdressers mix the dye. SO I am going to guess that yours (the first one) used to high powered peroxide.

Toadstool
May 8th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Sorry this has happened. I would suggest using lots of protein treatments to fill in the gaps in the hair. and perhaps consider a gentler approach to hair colouring?

Dreams_in_Pink
May 8th, 2010, 01:21 PM
I'm not a bleach expert, but i'm always reading everywhere that taking a break between applications and gradually lightening the hair is a healthier option to get platinum color. I'm not sure about the science behind this (since bleached hair is bleached hair in the end!) but i assume it could be because you have more control over how much you bleach your hair. When you do one strong application, it's easy to go overboard with bleach strength.

It could also be bad application of bleach. The bleach creme might have bled onto the already bleached parts, making them extra-sensitive. (i hope i could make my point clear)

Any chance you can bleach the roots by yourself? That seems to be a better option for now :(

Kathie
May 9th, 2010, 01:41 AM
Over the last 8months I’ve had bleach foils put through the top of my hair- it basically looks blonde because the foils are so dense.

One day I went in to see my hairdresser but she was home sick- since I was so eager to get my hair done I saw the girl that was filling in. Big mistake! Basically she melted large streaks of my, then- just past should length, hair away (lucky it was only foils).

The point is- she used the same product and method that my hairdresser was using prior to this. I’ve been back, seen my usual hairdresser (of course), and actually gone lighter with the same product and foiling procedure- and no adverse effects.

I really think it all came down to skill of the hairdresser.

Gypsy
May 9th, 2010, 01:49 AM
It could also be bad application of bleach. The bleach creme might have bled onto the already bleached parts, making them extra-sensitive. (i hope i could make my point clear)

Overlap.
That was my first thought, too.
If the stylist let the new application get onto the old one, then she certainly damaged the hair that was already in a weakened vulnerable state.
Plus, she would have put one formula bleach onto another if she did overlap, which would add a chemical interaction as well as too much chemical processing on the previously bleached hair.:(

Carena
May 9th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Hey thanks for all the feedbacks. I'm thinking too that it really is more of the lack of skills of the hairdressers here than the products they use.

I might do next root touch up by myself with just peroxide and sun and see what happens. I thought about it already.

I've read many posts saying once the damage to hair its done it cannot be restored, only covered up cosmetically. But I swear it feels like my hair have a way of repairing themselves, I don't know how else to explain it that over time they do get stronger afterall....perhaps they don't restore 100% but they do restore to the point where they don't break anymore and I can use any brush to brush it, not only wide tooth comb.

I think the coconut oil treatment is what really helps. I even read somewhere that it restores the protein structure of the hair, maybe this is what makes them repair for me. I also have good anti-breakage masks and shampoos/conditioners also by Loreal Proffessional and they seem pretty good.

I've never tried the mayonnaise treatment, it sounds a bit weird to me, I always thought of it as something you eat and only that, but I love the oil treatments a lot though. I have organic coconut and olive oils. The coconut is probably the best of all for the bleached hair but olive oil has its place too. I tried egg yolks too but I think it kind of dries my hair somewhat. Never tried honey, would like to look into that one. Thanks. Cheers :)