PDA

View Full Version : Determined NOT to chop thread!

countryhopper
May 8th, 2010, 02:40 AM
Do you have the urge to chop every time the weather gets warmer? Short, choppy, flippy bobs seem to be everywhere!

Of course, many times there are regrets after the big chop. Maybe you've already been there, and are now growing your hair out, only to be tempted AGAIN!!

Join me in my "I pledge to NOT chop!" :scissors: :grouphug:

Cupofmilk
May 8th, 2010, 02:47 AM
I pledge never ever to cut ever again.

(see my thread - 4 months ago I cut 15-20 inches off hair I could sit on. I still wake up every morning and feel sick when I realise my hair is not there).

:) Keep strong

Heidi_234
May 8th, 2010, 02:52 AM
I don't really need to pledge, I just know there's no turning back and hair disaster awaits me the minute I cut it all off. :no:

Kalyca
May 8th, 2010, 03:08 AM
I'll pledge! sometimes it's so hard not to chop it all off and start fresh.. but that would be so pointless, I'm not doing it again! I'm determined to grow my hair long now. =)

toodramatik
May 8th, 2010, 03:31 AM
I pledge! I pledge that I will wear hats, wigs, beanies, clips, whatever, just to stop me from chopping. I pledge that I WILL have my childhood hair!

Arctic
May 8th, 2010, 04:03 AM
I'm in! I am just going to do my regular trimmings. My hair is not looking like I'd like it to at the moment, and I have been working on it, one bigger chop last autumn and regular trims. Now I have lot of layers which I want to grow out. Part of me wants to speed up the process by cutting to shoulder (again!) but part of me wants to continue to growing and slow-ishly trimming. I am feeling a bit weak at the moment, but I must get through this. It seems very hard for me to get fom APL to BSL, so I guess I just have to force myself, even when/if my hair won't fill the ridicilously high quality-standards I have set to myself.

I ignored my hair very successfully all winter, and I can do it again: the thing is I started to be a bit bored with it. Now I recently cut myself bangs, so they offer a new look, and I am looking into scarves, I plan to do lot of head covering this summer! Updos are difficult at the moment with my heavy layering.

ETA: I realized I never said these words: I, Arctic, pledge not to chop my hair!

Liss
May 8th, 2010, 05:17 AM
I can't recall actually wanting my hair chopped, so I am doing a little twist on the pledge.

I pledge not to allow stylists to chop when I ask for a trim.

I think it is time for me to become one of those nightmare clients that inspects every little snip. I don't want to be that person, but from my experiences, the stylists have left me no choice.

hanne jensen
May 8th, 2010, 07:07 AM
I'm in! I, hannejensen pledge not to chop my hair!

It's not so long ago that I had short hair during a hot summer. Short hair is very irritating when it's hot! You just can't do a thing with it except soak your head in cold water!

Garnet66
May 8th, 2010, 07:29 AM
I've been tempted to cut my hair a little lately with the warm weather. At least it's not "I must cut my hair RIGHT NOW!. My hair is just barely touches my shoulders. That's very encouraging.

So, I, Garnet66 pledge not to chop my hair.

jackiesjottings
May 8th, 2010, 07:45 AM
I too pledge not to cut my hair, ever again. (trims but not cut!)

FrannyG
May 8th, 2010, 07:49 AM
I need to do this pledge. I still have some "layers" caused by some damage I did a couple of years ago, and from time to time, I want to cut back to that level, but I know I would be desperately unhappy.

I pledge to only do my regular 1/2 inch trims every 3 to 4 months, and no more! :deal:

JenniferNoel
May 8th, 2010, 07:53 AM
I pledge not to chop!
Trimming - yes. But never more than absolutely necessary.
:toast:

ArienEllariel
May 8th, 2010, 08:06 AM
I've been tempted this whole week because it's been horribly hot and I can't stand my hair being on my neck. Thankfully, I can do a small cinnabun or just a pony (that's mainly what I've been doing) so I can get it out of the way and off my neck.

Demetrue
May 8th, 2010, 11:14 PM
My hair is finally at a length and style where I feel I can leave it alone and not be tempted to keep fiddling with the scissors. I pledge NOT to chop!

christine1989
May 8th, 2010, 11:24 PM
I haven't cut in over a year and still going strong :). I will resist the cute bobs at all costs no matter how fun they look.

Kathie
May 9th, 2010, 02:13 AM
I'm in!

I usually enjoy getting trendy haircuts. But I've come to realize that there is one style that is always in: long healthy hair. I want to join that trend! :cheer:

Dreams_in_Pink
May 9th, 2010, 02:50 AM
Hmm, i'm not a frequent chopper actually, i only chopped once (but a MAJOR one it was, from waist to pob!) only to see what it was like having very short hair. Didn't quite liked it so i don't think i'll chop again, i learned my lesson :D

I pledge NOT to chop, at least until i reach tailbone. I might chop the dyed ends off then :D

HeatherMae
May 9th, 2010, 03:07 AM
I agree to no chops. After my last one nearly 3 years ago, I haven't been brave enough to step even one foot into a salon. I've done 2 self trims. Last May I cut off about an inch. And this past February I cut 2-3 inches. I'm about 3 inches away from the length I was before the big chop. I have my fingers crossed that I will be back there by the 3 year anniversary of the chop. It will be nice to finally be back where I was.

sunshine-locks
May 9th, 2010, 03:30 AM
i, sunshine-locks, pledge NOT to chop my hair unless i HAVE to.

sunshine-locks
May 9th, 2010, 03:33 AM
atleast until next year :)

Theobroma
May 9th, 2010, 03:39 AM
I have an awful history of getting annoyed enough with my fairytale ends to chop back several inches at a time, and the result is that I've been oscillating around BSL for the last several <i>years</i>.

The last time I did this was in late January or early February, and I immediately regretted it and pledged to myself -- and I hereby repeat that pledge here, in public -- that the next time I take scissors to my hair it'll be to do a microtrim when it's at waist length. Not a millimetre before. And I won't do it even then unless it's really necessary.

Summer heat is no problem with longer hair, in my experience. Putting it up is way preferable to having shoulder-length hair trapping the heat on your neck!

Sammich
May 9th, 2010, 04:27 AM
I, Sammich pledge not to chop! :p
I just feel an insane urge because it's summer and my mind supposes that: "Oh I need to chop, hair grows faster in the summer anyway!" o.o;

Pierre
May 9th, 2010, 04:48 AM
I did chop years ago, but I've spent enough summers long that I know I can put it up in two braids, wet them, and stay cool on very hot days (38 °C is as hot as it gets here). And hopefully by summer my shoulder will be all healed so that I can braid it without having to lie down in bed. So no chops for me.

Theobroma
May 9th, 2010, 08:10 AM
My name is Indigo Montoya. You terped my henna. Prepare to dye!

Your sig just SLAYS me! :gabigrin: :D :lol:

Sharon
May 9th, 2010, 09:05 AM
After recently cutting off 3-4 inches. After not cutting for two years. I pledge not to go for another big chop. My hair is stll longer than the short a line bob I had.

young&reckless
May 9th, 2010, 09:13 AM
I pledge not to chop and give up my hip length hair to the heat of summer. Christmas brought many new hair sticks and it I must buy more to safe my hair I will!

rapunzhell13
May 9th, 2010, 09:51 AM
I, rapunzhell13, pledge to NOT CHOP and only trim when absolutely necessary. No more than a half inch at a time for me from now on. By 2011 I hope to be at or near BSL!

Cholera
May 9th, 2010, 12:34 PM
I pledge to not cut my hair until I reach waist. After that, trims to maintain, and that's it.

spidermom
May 9th, 2010, 12:39 PM
I pledge not to chop this year. Beyond that ..... ???

sunshine-locks
June 26th, 2010, 05:10 AM
uhm, i cut my hair
sorta..
only the parts in front, not the back, does it count?

Mexibeach
June 26th, 2010, 06:27 AM
I pledge never ever to cut ever again.

(see my thread - 4 months ago I cut 15-20 inches off hair I could sit on. I still wake up every morning and feel sick when I realise my hair is not there).

:) Keep strong

I pledge the same. I cut off 12" and still try to flip hair out of my shirt collars..... phantom hair!!! Just don't do it!!!

Mexibeach
June 26th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Summer heat is no problem with longer hair, in my experience. Putting it up is way preferable to having shoulder-length hair trapping the heat on your neck!

It definitely is. I am just THRILLED that I am FINALLY able to get my front into a small clip :cheese: prior to that, it would just get sticky in the heat and stick to the sides of my face. Not pleasant!!!

Celtic_Willow
June 26th, 2010, 07:08 AM
I need to make this pledge too! It's so tempting to chop off my layers which start at sl and end at apl, which make it so hard to do updos. But I know if I do I'll be regretting it, so I Celtic_Willow pledge to not chop!

DARKMARTIAN
June 26th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Dont count on me to CHOP

I havent even had a trim in several years....:o

The closet im gonna come to chopping is by eating chinese food.....ya know....with the sticks..

and I doubt ill be using them in my hair either.......:p

Fiferstone
June 26th, 2010, 07:18 AM
I pledge not to chop certainly for this year, and probably beyond as well. Haven't chopped since 19 and 87, and my real goal is to see exactly what terminal length is on me before I check out :). A chop would be counter-productive to that goal.

mellie89
June 26th, 2010, 12:29 PM
I pledge to not chop. It's very tempting to chop off the last few inches of damage in one go, but I really dislike my hair when it's shoulder length. So I will just get my usual 1 inch trims every few months until my hair is all virgin again. (This pledge to chop does not include ALL my hair, though, since I've been wanting to cut in some blunt bangs for ages now, so I'm gonna do it!)

Ice~Cold~Wind
June 26th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I pledge to not chop(only trim now and then ;) ). I chopped off six inches about a week ago:scissors:. I didn't exactly regret it because my hair was so damaged I decided I needed a fresh start.

I also pledge to stop neglecting my hair!:cheese: It hates me for it and it becomes so unmanagable!

Thistleclover
June 26th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Newbie here! I pledge not to chop. I am determined to grow out my hair once more! I need to post pictures of all of the beautiful updos as inspiration for when I feel weak.

luthien_belewen
June 26th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Last week I was so tempted to chop--agh! I'm so glad I didn't...I've tried to grow out my hair two other times without success--this time will be different!

ifyouforget
June 26th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Count me in! I've chopped it short twice now, and it's not going to happen again! Just have to remember the misery that is summer with un-put-up-able hair, that should be plenty of motivation

Ally<3
June 26th, 2010, 08:18 PM
I pledge to never chop (trim, obviously)! In fact, I pledge not not go to a salon until my hair is entirely virgin and bsl!!!

Ice~Cold~Wind
June 26th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Count me in! I've chopped it short twice now, and it's not going to happen again! Just have to remember the misery that is summer with un-put-up-able hair, that should be plenty of motivation

Amen, I've chopped mine off atleast two times. It used to be aggravating because I could never even put it into a ponytail or braid it. :mad:

luckyduck
June 26th, 2010, 09:36 PM
I took off about 5 inches in January, before I found LHC, plus added a few layers! I plan to grow to waist (1 inch to go) and maintain there to grow out the layers.

freckles
June 27th, 2010, 05:44 AM
I really want to grow to tailbone, and I have discovered I hate having hair above my shoulders, but even so, the urge to chop has been creeping up on me this summer! I promise not to chop (only trim) until I have reached tailbone for the first time ever :) after that, anything goes :)

beez1717
June 27th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Me? when it got hot the first time I wanted to chop but then I put it up and realized just how much cooler I felt then when I had short hair. Long live the up doo!!!

BeatlesFanGirl
June 28th, 2010, 01:45 AM
Well, it's not a hot summer here yet, but when it was hot in the past, I never felt chopping because of that. I always thought "why sacrificing my beauty for the 3-4 weeks of heat, and regretting having ugly hair in September?"

So, no, I'm not chopping. :)

Juneii
June 28th, 2010, 01:54 AM
just put your hair up! :) I struggled with this two summers ago when my hair still looked unkempt and gross. A chop to look good in the summer isn't worth the pain of slowly growing out during the winter.

James M
June 28th, 2010, 02:07 AM
No way my hair is getting near a pair of shears until I get at least another 3"+

Once I get that, I think I'll be able to more easily have my hair styled into what I want, and then it will never go shorter again!

Last time I cut my hair, it was absolutely awful, and I'm still recovering from it... Another month and I'll be where I was, still shy of being able to tie it back!

So you got my pledge for sure! No choppin'! :D

James M
June 28th, 2010, 02:10 AM
just put your hair up! :) I struggled with this two summers ago when my hair still looked unkempt and gross. A chop to look good in the summer isn't worth the pain of slowly growing out during the winter.

This is quoted for the truth. At my rate, my hair should be good for winter, yeah ;) But this passed winter it :slap: was in bad shape. So I'm excited I didn't make this mistake again. :beercheer:

Barniie
June 28th, 2010, 02:17 AM
I pledge never to chop (excluding the teensiest trims once every six months) for 5 years. Thats right, I've even got my friend to come with me all the time to places, to check im not going to the hair dressers to chop it off!

FrannyG
June 28th, 2010, 03:58 AM
I had to read this entire thread again, because the layer caused by breakage is really getting me down right now. Once every few weeks I'm tempted to cut back to get rid of that layer, but only tempted.

It was helpful to re-read this thread and remember the pledge. You guys rock! :rockerdud

Dragon
June 28th, 2010, 04:42 AM
Dont get tempted. Hate hair cuts.

Synthemesc
June 28th, 2010, 07:01 AM
I've even got my friend to come with me all the time to places, to check im not going to the hair dressers to chop it off!

That made me giggle, just the thought of you "nipping to the bathroom" and coming back with your hair chopped off :D

Been known to chop my hair off on a whim, so now I'm actually trying to grow it long I pledge only to trim every 3 months.

sunshine-locks
August 22nd, 2010, 12:55 AM
Wow, Its getting difficult to NOT chop all my hair off, because growing it is taking so long, And my newfound admiration/obsession with the 60's model Twiggy is urging me to cut my shoulder length hair into a feminine pixie :(
I'll try as hard as possible to ignore the urge
EDIT- Some of you may say 'Its your hair, enjoy it, cut it, if you want'
but i know over a few days with it short, I'd hate it, I've done it before and i looked like a boy :(
But still the urge is there?

mariika
August 22nd, 2010, 04:32 AM
I keep wanting to chop it!!!!!!! I know my result will be HATEFUL and I still want it!!! short curly hair is a disaster (at least for me) - but I keep looking at nice wavy bobs and thinking I might (due to some miracle apparently) look just as fabulous as they do...

mariika
August 22nd, 2010, 04:36 AM
Me? when it got hot the first time I wanted to chop but then I put it up and realized just how much cooler I felt then when I had short hair. Long live the up doo!!!
RIGHT. Thanks, beez1717, I needed that.

I pledge never to chop (excluding the teensiest trims once every six months) for 5 years. Thats right, I've even got my friend to come with me all the time to places, to check im not going to the hair dressers to chop it off!
Been there. You need to just stop caring to endure that. Otherwise, you are never safe.

beachlover
August 22nd, 2010, 08:17 AM
I've chopped twice and both times I've regretted it so no more chops for me. Currently growing out a pixie, so just trims for me! I hope I never get the urge to chop again, this is a reminder of how much I dislike my hair short.

XcaliburGirl
August 22nd, 2010, 09:21 AM
I keep wanting to chop it!!!!!!! I know my result will be HATEFUL and I still want it!!! short curly hair is a disaster (at least for me) - but I keep looking at nice wavy bobs and thinking I might (due to some miracle apparently) look just as fabulous as they do...
Heh, I tried to get a wavy bob but my hair always ends up super fluffy in a weird shape with uneven flips everywhere. I have a feeling that the nice wavy bobs with lots of body that I *think* are a similar hair type to mine are actually thin-haired people who are able to fluff their hair up. Resist the temptation!

mariika
August 22nd, 2010, 02:56 PM
Heh, I tried to get a wavy bob but my hair always ends up super fluffy in a weird shape with uneven flips everywhere. I have a feeling that the nice wavy bobs with lots of body that I *think* are a similar hair type to mine are actually thin-haired people who are able to fluff their hair up. Resist the temptation!

EXACTLY
super fluffy is the word

Qwackie
August 22nd, 2010, 03:19 PM
I pledge. Because with my hair short I look like a boy. .__.

silverjen
August 22nd, 2010, 03:43 PM
I came to LHC precisely to stop compulsively chopping. So I, Silverjen, most enthusiastically pledge to not chop!

I will keep my bangs, because my face needs them, and will micro-dust if I start seeing damage or get weird uneven growth. But no chopping until I reach my goal length.

I have to remind myself that this will get much easier once my hair is long enough to put up... which will not be for a while. :(

redneckprincess
August 22nd, 2010, 06:38 PM
I'm in!!
Besides trimming the last few inches of layers over the next few years. I am on a NO-TRIMMING year till next MAY, (including bangs. Which is proving VeRY difficult at the moment)
I am now (again) as long (if not longer) then I ever have been, and people are starting to notice :)

sunshine-locks
November 15th, 2010, 04:17 AM
I lose.
I chopped.
But.. my hair really needed it so I shan't regret it so much.

Lianna
November 15th, 2010, 06:48 AM
I'm in, summer is comming here, on a land where winters are hot! This was the reason I have had really long hair since childhood and I thought I looked weird in up-dos. I'm stronger now.

FrannyG
November 15th, 2010, 06:51 AM
I lose.
I chopped.

No, you do not lose. If your hair needed the cut (and I've been there too), you are a winner in the long run.

It's much more pleasurable to grow out healthy hair with nice ends than to grow long damaged hair, I've learned. :blossom:

lhangel9
November 21st, 2010, 02:21 PM
I'm pledging not to chop my hair again - EVER!

Demetrue
November 21st, 2010, 03:10 PM
I'm trying!!! I have been on this endless cycle for the last three years of trying to grow out dye, getting fed up with the roots and redying it, then having to trim a lot due to damage (because I overprocessed the length by going back and forth between stripping dye, bleaching, redying, etc). I am hoping I can stick it out this time around. It's been 2 weeks so far ;>)

GoldLady
November 21st, 2010, 03:42 PM
I pledge because somehow, time has gotten away from me and apparently my 'spring chicken' days are behind me.

I won't do any major cuts again not because of any such nonsense regarding older women not being 'allowed' to have long hair, but because one has only so many years to start over from short to make it to very, very long. Now is my time. :)

Speckla
November 21st, 2010, 03:54 PM
I lose.
I chopped.

You win. Healthy hair instantly! And you look really cute too!

DorothyAtForty
November 21st, 2010, 04:19 PM
I pledge! I won't cut my hair off, even if I have to wash & braid ad nauseum or wrap my head in bandanas. I do have bangs, so those will need a weekly trim :scissors: and I do S&D because of my damaged hair.

AnnaJamila
November 21st, 2010, 04:23 PM
I'm never chopping again!!! (Trimming is ok!) Thank heavens I don't have any damage to cut away...

just_ace
November 21st, 2010, 05:22 PM
I, just ace, pledge not to chop in 2011 (and hopefully I will finally be at my goal of waist *fingers crossed*)

DorothyAtForty
November 21st, 2010, 06:25 PM
I, just ace, pledge not to chop in 2011 (and hopefully I will finally be at my goal of waist *fingers crossed*)

How long is your hair right now? I'm sure you'll get to waist length sooner than you realize!:agree: That's my goal as well. Good luck!

sunshine-locks
November 22nd, 2010, 11:17 PM
Thanks, FrannyG and Speckla :)

just_ace
November 23rd, 2010, 06:07 AM
How long is your hair right now? I'm sure you'll get to waist length sooner than you realize!:agree: That's my goal as well. Good luck!

My hair is currently hovering somewhere between APL and BSL, this is the longest it has been in my whole life so I don't really know what to expect from here. I've still got some shorter layers that need to catch up to the rest of the length.

But thank you, best of luck in your growing too. :D

Avvoltoio
November 23rd, 2010, 06:17 AM
i never felt urge to chop, or trim my hair, while the summer is hot here too( 30-40 celsius), moreover i like summer :D(and if the hot would disturb me, i would not chop hair cause i love it :)). So i will not chop my hair :)

Valdeon
November 23rd, 2010, 06:21 AM
I am! I am!

I chopped 10 cm off in August, because it was sooooo hot, and I couldnt bear to wear my hair in a bun - it felt so dam* heavy!

JulietCapulet
November 25th, 2010, 10:24 AM
I pledge not to cut shorter than BSL.

autumnchild
November 25th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Oh let me count the ways.... I have had so many mishaps... be my own fault or those of others (no prejudice but many others have screwed me up) no pointing of fingers, but I must say , nobody will treat you or your hair the way that you will.. With that said, I HAVE be screwed up by others that either simply do not care or intentionally are jealous (i know this sounds vein (sp?) but thier are humans out there that do not listen to what you want, but they rather do what THEY want. I.E TRIMMING when it is suppose to be at trim and it ends up a severe cut.... I have been DETERMINED not to CHOP because of the horrible ordeals I personally have been through...

On a side note.... TO all the girls/ladies out there... Do you notice that MEN cut/trim hair with more consience (sp) than women?? :tmi::tmi::tmi:

It is almost like men try to better on your hair than women...... JUST SAYIN'