PDA

View Full Version : I want to be hair-typed!

violeteyes
May 7th, 2010, 11:02 PM
I'm not really quite sure what my actual hair type is! Sometimes, it looks very straight with consistent combing when wet, while other times it waves up pretty good up to my ears, with the same products/routine as before. I would like to post some good pictures of my hair and get some of your opinions on the type, but I'm not sure how to "prep" my hair. Do I just wash and condition and then leave it totally alone, no products or combing? Or do I scrunch with no product when its still soaking wet to bring out my natural wave? Help, please! :o

Quixii
May 7th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Do I just wash and condition and then leave it totally alone, no products or combing?
Bingo. :)
Though some say you shouldn't conditioner, either. I think that part doesn't make much sense, so I would still condition.

julliams
May 7th, 2010, 11:07 PM
I'm guessing that the way your hair is normally is how it is when you just airdry it. Wash your hair as you normally do. I'm pretty sure you can use a leave-in if you like or oils - that shouldn't affect the wave to the point of changing your hairtype (correct me if I'm wrong).

You may have hair like mine - if I brush it it goes almost straight, if I leave it and just airdry it I get waves, if I scrunch it I go curly like in my siggy. I personally type it according to the curliest it will go but maybe I'm wrong???

violeteyes
May 7th, 2010, 11:07 PM
hmmm, no conditioner might be a disaster for me :P but I understand why, because it "weighs" down the hair a bit. So maybe I could try without the conditioner?

EvaSimone
May 7th, 2010, 11:35 PM
What I've always read and done is wash and condition then airdry with as little manipulation as possible. What I've done is put on a cotton button up shirt and lay my soaking wet hair accross my back and sit out in the sun until my hair dries. The important thing is to not brush, finger comb, towel scrunch etc. Just leave your hair wet and uncombed.

To illustrate the importance of not brushing for an accurate hair typing. My hair when unbrushed and airdried is 2a. When I brush it while it's wet I am a 1b.

violeteyes
May 7th, 2010, 11:38 PM
ok, so pretty much no touching it after wash/condition. Thanks for the help! I will be taking pictures the next time I wash my hair and I'll post them here to be typed.