PDA

View Full Version : Different kinds of "splitting"

Gilraen
May 7th, 2010, 07:05 PM
I have curly hair that is a little lower than shoulder length, and I've been noticing that the ends of some of the hairs are getting physically light...like the strand is thinning out. Now, it isn't technically "split hairs", but it seems to me like it is caused by some sort of damage. I don't straighten or uses harsh soaps (I'm CG), but I don't use protective hairstyles, and I don't oil. I also use a regular cotton pillowcase. Would oiling the ends every other day help the hairs at the hem to keep from thinning?

Any suggestions?

masa_inn
May 7th, 2010, 07:19 PM
I'll be watching this thread because exactly the same happens to my hair. These thinned out hairs split, eventually.

cmnt831
May 7th, 2010, 07:23 PM
When I notice this on my hair or my husband's I oil the ends pretty heavily. It seems to help. I do have to oil them everyday for maintenance and usually the oil just all soaks in. Try every other day and see if that helps. If you need more then do it more often. :)

Gilraen
May 7th, 2010, 08:25 PM
I put some jojoba oil on my ends before I took a shower tonight, but I plan on adding some into my conditioner the next time I shower.

I think what I'll do is try to oil consistently, braid at night, use a satin pillowcase, and start getting some hair sticks. I guess I didn't realize how long my hair was getting. I'll probably end up going for a trim once I get to mid arm length, this way the ends won't look too bad when I get to waist.

FrannyG
May 7th, 2010, 08:50 PM
At your length it's definitely time to start wearing protective hair styles to bed, like braids as you're planning to do. I agree that oiling will likely help and it's never too soon for satin pillowcases. It sounds like you're planning on doing all the right things to help your ends.

And yes, if your hair is below shoulder length, then it is long!

Good luck with it. :blossom:

Brat
May 7th, 2010, 09:05 PM
I think if it's lighter, maybe it gets stretched somehow. Which can happen if it's long enough to get between a chair and your back. Or if it gets closed in the car window and you lean to the side to get something... (happened to me today)

julliams
May 7th, 2010, 10:55 PM
I was told that those are hairs that have never been cut so they are like totally virgin hairs if that makes sense. That's what I thought and what I'm hoping because I have heaps of them too.