PDA

View Full Version : A school project on hair and hair strength

Igor
May 7th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I know this isn’t the most scientific thing ever, but it still made me laugh
A school project on hair and hair strength :D

“My hypothesis is that Pantene Pro-V will give the hair the greatest tensile strength. I base my hypothesis on the opinion of numerous hairstylists that I have contacted. “

Read on (http://www.selah.k12.wa.us/soar/sciproj2000/MckenzieH.html)

Cholera
May 7th, 2010, 04:26 PM
That's an interesting project. I wonder if a similar project could be done, but comparing the average LHCer's hair to the average commercial product user's hair. Hmmm.

Capybara
May 7th, 2010, 04:27 PM
That's funny! Interesting. Wonder if something like this would be accepted as part of a master's thesis .. :rolleyes:

Funny, though, many hairdressers I've frequented say that Pantene is bad for your hair, because it coats it.

Fractalsofhair
May 7th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Woot! Shea butter is needed for a shampoo to be effective!(and no cleansers! xD)

Heidi_234
May 8th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Very cute! I think the bottom line would be to take with a grain of a salt everything that's advised to you by someone who gets money for it.

Nae
May 8th, 2010, 06:24 AM
That is great! What a good idea for a project. Sounds like an LHCer in training right there lol.

marikamt
May 8th, 2010, 09:19 AM
I thought that was so cute!

Peter
May 8th, 2010, 10:09 AM
What a good idea for a school project. :D

Gladtobemom
May 8th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Very nicely done.

:thumbsup:

The scientist in me wonders what about just plain water or even alcohol?

*Rose Red*
May 9th, 2010, 01:53 PM
That´s funny and interesting! But for me Pantene never worked, it made my scalp itchy and my hair dry.

jera
May 9th, 2010, 02:36 PM
At least they're sowing the seeds of interest. :)

SpeakingEZ
May 10th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Jeeze, I thought that you, Igor, had done this school project and was really confused at how little it made you look like you knew about hair and hair care. I'm laughing at it a bit now, and myself.

I'm surprised she didn't include keratin or cheap shampoos or any conditioners instead of just these three expensive (*ahem* stylish) shampoos.

ccaswick
May 10th, 2010, 02:39 PM
another interesting thread

Igraine
May 10th, 2010, 03:52 PM
I wasn't sure about the student's gender :o The experiment is interesting, and it's nice she debunked the "Pantene makes hair stronger" myth. And it would be nice to use the test also for hair treatments (protein, etc), or to test the efficacy of a supplement (though this takes months).
Not very hair related but her profile is adorable, I almost forgot how children think at that age. I'm still not sure it's a he or a she: likes both soccer and colour pink?

Aquamarine
May 20th, 2010, 03:53 AM
That's great! :thumbsup: and pretty interesting too.:)

ilovelonghair
May 20th, 2010, 04:57 AM
If we could recreate the same project on LHC with many hair types and shampoos/conditioners that would be great!

GlassEyes
May 20th, 2010, 06:29 AM
That's funny! Interesting. Wonder if something like this would be accepted as part of a master's thesis .. :rolleyes:

Funny, though, many hairdressers I've frequented say that Pantene is bad for your hair, because it coats it.
Which is funny, because all conditioners do. Especially the ones they sell. :p

I think it'd be nearly impossible to calculate this, even taking texture (f, m, C) into account. There is some fine hair that feels like air, and some that feels like silk--and there's some coarse hair that's thick as dental floss, and some as thick as small cords.

I mean, it's possible, I guess--but a metric ton of variables that would be hard to judge.

cm006j
May 20th, 2010, 09:23 AM
What a great idea for a school project! I wish when I was in school I had tested something useful :)

Too bad I'm allergic to Pantene. Their commercials are always so excellent!

x0h_bother
May 20th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I just wrote a masters paper on how hair was significant at the different developmental stages I went through in childhood and adolescence. I'm using the paper to reflect on how my experience will help me understand children and adolescents better. I hope she likes it haha. I did not mention LHC though because it didn't talk about my struggles now..but I wish I could have! :)

PS I guessed PertPlus..very counterintuitive..