PDA

View Full Version : Greasy hair - what to do?

Hayat
May 7th, 2008, 07:08 PM
My DBF has quite greasy hair, and it doesn't look very well if he doesn't wash at least every other day, preferably every day. His hair is short and natural colour ash blonde (not a very good colour if you have greasy hair).

He washes with mild poo (I think without cones, but I don't know about the proteins. I think it's without though, he always get my left over poo's that I don't like anymore - and they are all from health food stores), and then conditioner as usual. I give him a cassia treatment every now and then to cover up a few greys - but it didn't really seem to cover up all that much, and sometimes I do cassia without any acid just for the deep conditioning treatment of it. As he has very dry scalp (he itches a LOT, and white "powder" is constantly pouring from his scalp) I've given him an AVG treatment every now and then (cover hair and scalp with AVG, leave for an hour, then rinse). It seemed to work well the first time, but now it doesn't work anymore (the brand is the same as I used the first time).

Anyone has any suggestions on what I can do to make his hair seem a little less greasy and less "powdery" from the dry scalp?

His hair quality is typical nordic, with fine, straight hair. No boldness though, and normal shedding.

suicides_eve
May 7th, 2008, 07:54 PM
it sounds to me like because the scalp is dry- its producing more grease to try and compinaste(sp) for the lack of moisture

dryness can be caused by a number of things: dehydration, over washing, the air (think winter cold=dry hair)

i would suggest maybe " washing " (no shampooing)only with a good cone free/protien free conditioner(mho:Nexuss Humcantress it's what i swear by) for about 2 weeks and see if it helps any, more then likely it will only get greasier before it gets better. The scalp has to adjust and will limit the sebrum production as need, this should also help with dry scalp as the conditioner will help bring moisture to it .Give it 2 weeks before you give up that way you can get a feel if you need to tweek it or not

Lisa-Maria
May 7th, 2008, 11:48 PM
My scalp is very sensitive but my 'poo/cond bar does wonders for me. It's milder and without cones and conservatives, best thing I've tried so far. And yeah, I can go a day longer between washing as well.

aisling
May 7th, 2008, 11:55 PM
The dry skin combined with the greasiness might be from some kind of sulphate sensitivity/allergy. Just because the shampoo is from the health food store it doesn't mean it's a good shampoo! Read up on the harsher sulphates and then check the ingredients of his shampoo.

Katze
May 8th, 2008, 12:21 AM
good advice, and I tend to agree with Aisling; he could be washing too often with too much shampoo. Maybe stretching his washes? It could just be that his scalp is overproducing in an attempt to create balance.

The answer depends on how long his hair is, which you didn't mention in your post. I also have fine, light-ish hair, and it can look really, really terrible if it's greasy. This is worse when my hair is shorter, and is getting better as it gets longer.

I think fine hair takes extra time to adjust, and can be quite finicky, especially when there are other skin/scalp issues involved. For me, CO washing also made my hair greasy and dull after a while, and when I went back to (occasional) shampoos it suddenly had life again.

Although you are trying to be "natural," 'cones might also be a help - my hair with 'cones is much less stringy and tangly, and shinier.

This is a lot but hopefully you can get some good suggestions out of what I and others have posted.

By the way, what's "boldness" in hair?!?

lady G
May 8th, 2008, 12:48 AM
what about head and shoulders anti dandruff shampoo i know someone with very greasy short hair, same problem with flakes on the scalp and this cures the problem when used daily.

rhosyn_du
May 8th, 2008, 02:08 AM
This may seem totally counterintuitive, but my DH's hair sounds much like your BF's (very fine, straight, ash blond, prone to the greasies, and dry, flaky scalp), and he's had amazing results with WO. Granted, it took him almost six months to fully transition (although his hair looked passable after two), but he's had no scalp problems since the first couple weeks of WO, and his hair is quite lovely ever since he got past the transition phase.

Hayat
May 8th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Rhosyn: Hm... WO.... hm... It sounds lovely, but I just do not know if I can talk him into trying that.

Katze: His hair is short. Boldness in hair...er... sorry, my electronical dictionary sometimes refuse to work (like right now), and that might give some funny results in my language... But boldness, isn't that when men loose all their hair and become bold? Either all over their head, or just parts of it - like a "moon" for instance. Anyway, what I tried to explain was that my DBF has no spots without hair on his head. :)

Many good suggestions, and I agree that the problem is probably grease production as an compensation for dry scalp, in addition to washing too much with poo that we really do not know if is good or not (I mean, it's probably a reason why I passed it over to him instead of using it myself...).

Perhaps I'll try an overnight oiling on his scalp? Elsewhere, I've been reading of lightning with honey lately, and he was just so excited when he heard about this. He would really like to lighten his hair a bit, so honey treatments would be welcome - and they would probably also help the dry scalp.

aisling
May 8th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Hayat: bald = skallig, bold = modig, djärv, you might understand why the confusion :)

Hayat
May 13th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Hayat: bald = skallig, bold = modig, djärv, you might understand why the confusion :)

*lol* Thank you aisling! :D

Anyway, I put lots of coconut oil on his scalp, and let it sit for about one hour (that was as long as he could take). This is 3 days ago, and he reports that his scalp is no longer as itchy, and there is no more of that white "powderish" stuff dripping from his head. I think this really helped, and his hair also looks very nice. I'll probably repeat this in a week or so, and then see if it still gets better. I do believe the problem was a dry scalp.

Thank you for all the advices :)