PDA

View Full Version : There's nothing like starting over

Prism
May 7th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Hello!

I'm not new. I was here years ago and have been away for a while. The last time I was here, I was growing my hair (I'll have to go poke around and try to find my old posts--that'll be a wild trip). Then while still in my 30s I discovered breast cancer, had chemo last year, and, well, I'm starting over from scratch.

This might be a long-hair-lover's nightmare, but I have to say that while it can be discouraging, it's not the worst thing in the world. The strangest thing is that my hair is just different now. Want thicker hair? Try chemo! Seriously, my hair was thick before, but now it's incredibly thick. It's all of maybe 2 or 3 inches long, but I can't see any scalp in there. I used to complain here that I had to wash my hair every single day or it was an oily mess, and now I can go days before it gets oily. Usually I wash it before that point just to get the product out (and because I have dry-scalp dandruff now).

It's a very weird experience. It came back pretty much the same color, but I'm still waiting to see what the texture will be like as it grows. It was slightly wavy before. It's like getting used to someone else's head of hair now.

Oh, and yes, the cancer is gone. I caught it early, stage I, before it had spread. I caught it by accident. I had no family history. I've been tested and have no genetic mutation. Furthermore, the cancer was what's called "triple-negative" breast cancer--it wasn't fed by hormones. So...the moral of the story: Please check yourself regularly. Don't wait til you're 40 to get a mammogram if possible. Get a baseline at 35 or earlier if you have a family history. Do monthly self exams. If you find something, don't delay. Discovering it myself and getting in fast very possibly saved my life.

Anyway, I could use some encouragement from any ladies who have had to start over. I'm trying to look at the glass half full--hey, no damage from highlighting! No overwashing damage! But considering hair grows an average of half an inch a month, I'm looking at a very long time before I have long hair. It is what it is.

Kittee
May 7th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Wonderful to have you back!!

spidermom
May 7th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I'm so happy to hear there's a happy outcome to your harrowing experience. Think of all the different stages and styles you'll get to play with on your way to long hair. That could be fun!

girlcat36
May 7th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Glad to hear you are in remission! I am suffering some hair weirdness from my cancer treatment as well! I had thin hair to start with, and lost half of it, but it doesn't seem to be coming back any thicker!:mad:

brok3nwings
May 7th, 2008, 07:48 PM
i cant seam to find anything intersting to say but i have to say...its always a happy feeling to see people recovering of something that can be so dramatic and drastic. Im glad your hair feel as good as you!

suicides_eve
May 7th, 2008, 07:56 PM
welcome back, good to hear you caught it in time, best of luck on your long hair quest!

psvzum
May 7th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Welcome Back! Looking forward to hearing about your progress : )

AquaViolet1973
May 7th, 2008, 08:40 PM
I'm glad to hear that you are cancer free! It's good to see you back. I am sure you will have beautiful long hair again.

coppercurls
May 7th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I am glad you are back & that your cancer is gone. I have to go for a repeat mammo tomorrow. My baseline (I am 38 by the way) showed an area of density in one view. Neither me or my doctor could feel it. My mom & her sister have both had mammos come back abnormal because of fibroids & I am so hoping & praying that is what is going on with mine.

Stagecoach
May 7th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Wow, it's great to have you back, and I'm so happy to hear that you've manage to beat the cancer!

mommy2one05
May 7th, 2008, 09:27 PM
I am so glad to hear that you caught the cancer. It is in my family and I am still young but it does make me think more and take precautions in the sun, etc. Keep your view of the glass half full and stay upbeat!

kwaniesiam
May 7th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Welcome back, and that's wonderful to hear that you are now healthy and on your way to long hair again! Just think how healthy your hair will be when it gets longer, since you'll be able to give it LHC style care from the very beginning :)

Sana
May 7th, 2008, 10:23 PM
welcome back!!! Glad to hear you are doing well!

Kiraela
May 8th, 2008, 12:12 AM
It is awesome that you've gotten the cancer beat, and look at it this way: not only do you get to give your hair LHC treatment from the very beginning, you also get to try new styles, and take care of a new texture of hair, most likely.

Very glad you're okay!

Prism
May 8th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Thank you all for your sweet and supportive posts. I went and bought some gentle hair color tonight and covered up the grays. It was to the point that I was just needing to do something. There's only so much you can do with short hair! It's still too short to even curl.

spidermom, it is fun in a way, some of these stages. Before my hair fell out, I went and shaved it. I just didn't want to go through the grief of finding hair all over every day. It made me feel in charge. I went bald in public and was comfortable with that (the first few times were a bit weird). Now it's sort of a pixie, but getting longish (looks like a pixie that's overdue for a haircut). The sad thing is that I've gotten WAY more compliments on my hair since it was shaved and also pixie-short. People are telling me to leave it this way. It is carefree. I don't even use a brush or comb--just wash, condition, put in a little product, and fingerstyle. I think it looks good, but man I miss having some hair to play with! I miss the softness. I also notice men seem to just not give me the same looks as they did when I had longer hair.

girlcat36, It's nice to meet another survivor growing her hair! Your hair looks beautiful in your picture. I don't think I would have completely lost my hair, either. I shaved regularly during chemo and even used an epilator sometimes. That's when I noticed some of it was still attached! I know some women on young survivor boards who say that it took their hair a LONG time to get back to normal thickness and normal texture. There's no tellin how long chemo keeps doing a number on our bodies. I ended chemo in September, and I've had my eyelashes fall out a few times since, even months later. It's all so weird. Let's keep hoping your hair is just recovering; it probably is.

Coppercurls, I know this is slim comfort when you're waiting for news, but most densities and things are not cancer. Assume it isn't. When I felt mine, I had a real sinking feeling because it felt hard and very very different than any of those monthly little fluctuations that we sometimes get. Also, remember premenopausal breast tissue is usually denser. We also get cysts and things that come and go with our cycles and we never even know it. Hope all turns out well for you.

Emme76
May 8th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Welcome back! :)
/Emme

lady G
May 8th, 2008, 02:11 AM
wonderful news that you are back here and through your treatment...hugs....xxxxxxx

n3m3sis42
May 8th, 2008, 05:20 AM
Hello, fellow Atlantan! :)

First of all, I'm glad to hear that the cancer is gone now. Secondly, best of luck with your regrowing journey!

Tashomani
May 8th, 2008, 06:18 AM
VERY Smart to get checked out!! I am so happy you are still with us! My sister had breast cancer and her hair came back all wavy and she loves it! Best wishes to you!

Loviatar
May 8th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Lovely to have you back Prism and even better that you have beaten the cancer.

Igor has an article about growing out from very short (shaved head) and there are other members here who have had chemo and are once more growing out.

I hope your hair growing journey is a long and happy one!

yrrebwartsymssi
May 8th, 2008, 09:45 AM
congrats on being cancer free! my mom had breast cancer and we got our heads shaved together...we kept our hair short for the LONGEST time when her hair started growing back. Now she still has short hair but i'm trying to grow mine out... There are days that i want to cut it back to where it was but I come here and fantasize about how my hair will look when its long!!!

GlennaGirl
May 8th, 2008, 09:56 AM
((Prism)) Oh thank God! Glad to see you back. Don't be a stranger.

AutumnLeaves
May 8th, 2008, 10:09 AM
I too am happy that you're here and very happy that you are now cancer free! As you may know, Momma Smurf has also been through this battle and is also cancer free. Girlcat has had her bout with cancer as well, and our Harley Mama too. I wish all of you nothing but the best of health from here on out.

I started over with my hair too, but not for the same reasons. Now I'm a silver head (at least the canopy is silver) and hoping and wishing and urging it to hurry up on its way.

I hope you enjoy the discovery process with your new hair!

FrannyG
May 8th, 2008, 10:20 AM
I'm delighted to have you back here, and to hear that your health is good. I hope you enjoy every moment of your new journey back to long hair. :flowers:

Nynaeve
May 8th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Hello!!! Glad you are seeing your change in a half-full way. :)
And good to see old members come back, too. Awesome to hear that you caught it so early and that you are doing well, too!
Besides the thickness change, have you felt any changes in the individual hairs? When my grandfather went through chemo, not only did his hair change thickness, but it completely changed color and the individual hair became thicker and curlier.

How have you changed your routine, besides it being a lot shorter?
You have more time to experiment now before it gets really long, too!
Glad to have you back, and let us know how the journey goes!

GrowlingTurtlez
May 8th, 2008, 10:42 AM
That's awesome that you're cancer free! I'm starting over as well, although not for reasons so negative. I cut it all off into a buzz cut last year in October, and I can't wait till it's long again! I even dream about it sometimes.

Nightshade
May 8th, 2008, 10:49 AM
You're an amazingly strong woman, Prisim :flowers:

For some hair gel that won't dry out your scalp or leave little white flakes in your hair as the gel dries and shifts, you may want to give this a try (http://www.maxgreenalchemy.com/item--Scalp-Rescue-Styling-Gel--MGAGEL.html). My fiance swears by it and I dilute it with water in a mister bottle for "hair spray" when I need it.

Nynaeve
May 8th, 2008, 11:18 AM
You're an amazingly strong woman, Prisim :flowers:

For some hair gel that won't dry out your scalp or leave little white flakes in your hair as the gel dries and shifts, you may want to give this a try (http://www.maxgreenalchemy.com/item--Scalp-Rescue-Styling-Gel--MGAGEL.html). My fiance swears by it and I dilute it with water in a mister bottle for "hair spray" when I need it.

"Hair Spray" as in a spray to make your hair happy and slightly pliable, or "hair spray" as in it makes your hair stick in a position like there is no tomorrow?

Tap Dancer
May 8th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Welcome back! I remember you even though you hadn't posted a lot. Congrats on beating the cancer! :flower:

Islandgrrl
May 8th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Welcome back, Prism. Very glad to hear that your cancer is gone and wishing you good health in the future. And, of course, lush and luxurious hair! Lots of it!

Nightshade
May 8th, 2008, 01:47 PM
"Hair Spray" as in a spray to make your hair happy and slightly pliable, or "hair spray" as in it makes your hair stick in a position like there is no tomorrow?

Hair spray as in it has hold enough that the baby hairs don't poke out and my braid stays sleek, but doesn't get crunchy. Awesome thing about the Max Green gel is if you want to adjust something you just damp your hands and restyle it- it's all water-based so it doesn't dry your hair too :)

Nynaeve
May 8th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Hair spray as in it has hold enough that the baby hairs don't poke out and my braid stays sleek, but doesn't get crunchy. Awesome thing about the Max Green gel is if you want to adjust something you just damp your hands and restyle it- it's all water-based so it doesn't dry your hair too :)

Ooooo. Sounds awesome! I'll have to try it out for braids, I've had tons of hairs sticking out lately. :rolleyes:

It would probably be great for my DBF, he's also growing his hair out from an incredibly short stage, and is at the awkward "thing are sticking out everywhere" stage, according to our last talk. :p

Hope you aren't in that stage for long, Prism!

Prism
June 2nd, 2008, 10:47 PM
Nynanye,

Sorry so long to reply. I get discouraged with my hair growth (or lack of) right now. It's at a really horrid in between phase, like a pixie that needed to be cut a good month ago.

How has my hair routine changed? That's a good question. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what head of hair I'm dealing with here. It's really freaky. It starts out like this soft little duck down stuff and then you find out what exactly you're going to have. The color and texture can be totally different after chemo. And it can either stay that way or change later.

I used to have to wash it daily, and even by evening it would be oily. Now I could probably wash it twice a week without it being oily. I only wash it more frequently because of using a lot of hair product (gel or mousse) to try to keep it in place so it doesn't stick up. It's just now getting long enough that it's starting to fall over in the back rather than stick straight up, so I'm trying to use less hair product.

I used to have to use a brush on my hair. It's so short now that I can often just fingerstyle it when it's wet and has a little product in it. Sometimes I just take a wide-tooth comb and get it going the right direction first before using my fingers. I don't carry a comb or brush in my purse and haven't for about a year now. It's very, very strange not to! That was always an essential. Now if it gets messed up, I just dip my hands in some water, rearrange, and I'm good to go.

I need to make a decision about coloring, though. That's one thing I can see is already damaging my hair. I've colored twice since being bald. It's really drying. Maybe just go natural and let the grays come through? I saw threads here that discussed the grays. Sometimes they look sparkly, which is cool, but I tend to hate them after a while. Henna--some of you ladies have achieved beautiful results with it...and some not the look I'd want. I don't know what makes the difference between the wide range of results achieved from henna?

So as far as routine goes, I got back from the gym a while ago. It was a good workout, so my hair is salty, gross, and needs to be washed. I'm going to spend time on it like I did when it was long and massage my roots with some almond oil, then give it a light wash in the shower, followed by some color care conditioner. Then I think I'll just leave product off of it. If it's horrid in the morning (which it usually is after sleeping on it--superthick hair sticking up all directions), I'll try water and a dab of goop and see what happens.

Thanks for your suggestions of a product that won't flake. I think it might be the product that I've been calling my dandruff all of this time. when I don't use much, I don't have the "dandruff." Definitely time to switch to something else.

Oh, and I'm going to get a haircut soon. Just a shaping. It's growing out all crazy different lengths and is driving me nuts. My stylist is really good about respecting the desire to grow, and she'll just shape it.

You know one of the sad things, though? In all of this, I've gotten more compliments for my bald head or my short shaved hair or pixie than when it was long. It kind of makes you wonder. People are saying to keep it short, it looks cute. And it does (well it did when it was shorter), but I miss having that soft hair to play with. I am 40 and think I want it long one more time in my life. It's going to take a while, but maybe after I grow it long again I'll be ready to cut it short for good when it starts thinning or whatever.

thanks, all of you. :)

Chrissy
June 3rd, 2008, 04:16 AM
Good luck to you and I'm glad you are well. CurlyBrunette was another of our members who survived breast cancer. Enjoy each day of your life.

30isthenewblack
June 3rd, 2008, 05:32 AM
I'm glad to hear that you are fit and healthy. My grandmother died of breast cancer but awareness campaigns and advanced technology meant that when my mother had breast cancer several years later, she only had to have radiotherapy and it has never returned (touch wood).

On another note: According to the National Breast and Ovarian Cancer Centre (NBOCC), mammograms are not an effective way of detecting cancer if you are under 40 year's of age. Self examination is the most successful way of detecting breast cancer if you fall into this age group. Generally, breasts become less dense as women get older, particularly after menopause which is why mammograms become more effective as you get closer to 50 years of age. Mammograms are used for women in the 40 - 49 age group but they are not as affective. You can find out more information here - http://www.breasthealth.com.au/earlydetection/whatcanyoudo.html.

As well as mammograms if you are 40 and over, you should be doing a self examination of your breasts every month or better still, get someone to do it for you :eyebrows: Perhaps when you measure your hair growth every month, you can do a self examination of your breasts as well :)

Early detection is the key.

Patrycja
June 3rd, 2008, 09:16 AM
Welcome back Prism! So glad to hear your story and that everythings looking better for you. :flowers:

Prism
June 3rd, 2008, 09:36 AM
30isthenewblack, you're preachin to the choir. :) I found my breast cancer by touching my boobs. I do exams without fail. I caught it early. If I hadn't found it myself, well, I just don't want to think about what Stage it would have been before it was seen on mammogram! And ladies, through Young Survival Coalition, an organization I volunteer for, we have women as young as their teens when they've been diagnosed. You don't need a family history of BC to get it.

Prism
June 3rd, 2008, 09:41 AM
Funny thing, last night when I did that massage with almond oil, I found that I got the same effect as I did with hair gel, and it pretty much stayed in place. Okay so it looks oily, but maybe to some people it'll just look wet. Or I could try an experiment with some healthy gel (would aloe work?) mixed with some oil for the wet look with short hair, all the while deep-moisturizing my hair and just leave it on all day. Not sure I could tolerate sleeping on that, even with a towel underneath, though. Is there anything such as TOO much moisture for hair? I know all that oil on the scalp might not be good...

30isthenewblack
June 3rd, 2008, 02:27 PM
30isthenewblack, you're preachin to the choir. :) I found my breast cancer by touching my boobs. I do exams without fail. I caught it early. If I hadn't found it myself, well, I just don't want to think about what Stage it would have been before it was seen on mammogram! And ladies, through Young Survival Coalition, an organization I volunteer for, we have women as young as their teens when they've been diagnosed. You don't need a family history of BC to get it.

:) My message was for everyone on the board and the lurkers. I'm glad you caught it early and no, you don't need a family history to get it. I was just talking about my personal experience. I just think your experience is a timely reminder to others that they need to do self examinations.

Prism
February 1st, 2010, 09:35 PM
I'm here again, almost 2 years later, and I'm wondering if I should hang up this long hair stuff. It is so depressing after having long hair. Hair grows reallllly slowly when you're growing from bald. And it's coming in much more gray. And I'm now almost 42. Should I even bother? I mean, it only looks good if it's colored, and only really good if it's highlighted on top of that.

I'm noticing most of the girls here now are lots younger than I am. Maybe I should hang up all of this long hair stuff and figure it is something that looks good on younger women but not me.

What is depressing is when I started regrowing my hair and had a pixie cut, I got MORE compliments on that than I ever did with long hair. I look good with a pixie cut. Go figure.

Discouraged. My hair was beautiful and long before cancer and chemo. I don't want to be an old lady with long hair that doesn't look good on me.

sorry to be such a downer. could use any advice from any ladies who are getting gray. it is so depressing. my hair was so pretty before all of this. I'm wondering what's next---hair thinning as I approach menopause? (and that's coming early, thanks to chemo) tmi, sorry...

Not sure what happened to my hair journal that was linked in my sig. I guess some reconstruction on the site was done. Oh well, I'll start over with that, too, I guess.

Roseate
February 2nd, 2010, 12:45 AM
Hi Prism- I'll keep it short since I'm one of the whipper-snappers, but maybe you want to go talk to the renegrays? Here's their thread. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=16951&) They have some gorgeous silver locks over there, you might feel in good company with them. :flowers:

(And I think the youngish age-group thing we've got on the boards says more about who uses the internet than who looks good with long hair!)

JamieLeigh
February 2nd, 2010, 07:51 AM
I'm sorry to hear that you had to go through all of that, but happy to hear that it's gone and you're healthy!! :grouphug:

Welcome back. :flower: I'm sure you'll enjoy the journey twice as much this time around.

curlylocks85
February 2nd, 2010, 08:09 AM
Oh Prism, I am glad you acted fast on what you new. Cancer runs in my family so I am scared to death that one day it could be me! You are brave and an inspiration to women all over who need the support of someone who has "been there”.

Well, it seems that there was a silver lining after all; thick hair and less washing. :cheese:

Do not feel discouraged you will achieve long hair in no time. Every stage has is benefits. ;)

kdaniels8811
February 2nd, 2010, 09:46 AM
Hello, Prism. I am just starting my cancer journey, had my second round of chemo and my beautiful chestnut waist length hair fell out this weekend. So I will be a ways behind you in growing but am here to give encouragement. As far as age, I am 50+ and have full intentions of hitting waist and beyond again as soon as it starts to grow. I have way to many hair toys not to! My cancer was caught through a mammogram, I did self examinations and ithe tumor was way too small to detect. But it was caught early so I should be fine. My treatments runs through April, then my hair will be able to start growing again.

As far as your hair, it is important you do what feels good to you, whether short or long. This forum is to help us keep our hair healthy, no matter what the length. I am so glad to hear you are in remission and hope you continue to be so for life. So if you decide to keep your hair short, go for it! There are threads on short hair in addition to long. And if you do not like grey, henna, indigo, or cassia are certainly options. My greys (were) covered with hendigo and there is plenty of information here for whatever direction you decide to go. Good for you for beating cancer!

Elspeth30
February 2nd, 2010, 03:23 PM
I hope your treatments will go well! I am very glad you caught the tumor early.

Prism
February 2nd, 2010, 08:37 PM
Hello, Ladies,

Thanks for your wonderful replies. You've inspired me to keep going. And wow what a great thread that one is.

I am due for a coloring and highlighting (yeah, still doing that stuff), but I am reconsidering. Maybe just some highlights to help blend the gray til more gray comes in.

Funny, I was reviewing my old posts in this thread. A couple months after chemo, my hair was so dry I was shampooing it only twice a week. I miss that! It's back to oily needing to be washed every day. So ladies, there is something to look forward to with menopause if you do have oily hair that has to be washed every day. Once my hormones got back to their old pattern, the oiliness returned.

Now the dilemma for me is what to do to get the hair to look decent without blow drying or curling. It's still just falling about my neck area, so not enough length/weight to make it lie flat. I washed it last night and let it air dry, spread out on my pillow. The ends almost feel MORE gnarly due to (I guess) not blow drying in one direction making the cuticle lie flat. I put some jojoba oil on the ends, but I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to tolerate the yuck look of no blowdry or curling iron. My hair is a bit wavy naturally, so it just looks like a mess.

I think when I do get old enough that the hair feels like a burden, I'll get it chopped into a pixie again. I love the look of Jamie Lee Curtis's gray pixie. But for now, I'm gonna keep growin! Thanks for the encouragement!

ColoradoDreamer
February 3rd, 2010, 03:26 AM
I'm pretty much in the same boat with you. I hadn't yet discovered TLHC in '05 when I was diagnosed with breast cancer, but I was attempting to grow my hair out. I had a trim just a few days before going in for the first surgery I had. At the time, we thought it would be simple lumpectomies and radiation - no chemo - but, unfortunately, the surgeon didn't get clear margins, and I had a larger-than-expected tumor on one side. I had to go back to surgery a month later and had bilateral mastectomies. I wound up with chemo as well.

I'm just over four years out of chemo, and my hair has grown back nicely. However, I didn't just let my hair grow. I kept it fairly short for about a year and then decided to grow it out. Got damage from chemical colorant over henna and chopped it all off again last April. It's now back out almost to shoulder length in back and around chin-length on the sides.

My hair is quite different from how it was pre-chemo. I've always had baby fine hair, and that's stayed the same, but I have much more body, natural waves, and curl than I had before. I'd heard that hair can come back curly after chemo but then go back to "normal." Mine has stayed very wavy. I don't have to do much to it in the way of styling it. Most of the time I just let it air dry. I have, however, used a dryer on low when it's been cold and I was planning to go out shortly after washing my hair.

I agree with you - there is nothing like starting over. And there is nothing like starting over from an absolute BALD head!

Chrissy
February 3rd, 2010, 04:02 AM
Don't give up on having it long because of age. I'm almost 55 and a couple of years ago cut all my long hair off. I'm now to shoulder and I'm going to keep going. You should really do want you want but don't let age be a reason not to grow. I wish you good health and success with whatever you choose. I'm glad you beat the cancer most of all! :)

Unofficial_Rose
February 3rd, 2010, 06:57 AM
What Chrissie said! I'm nearly 46 and I'm growing mine, as are lots of us in our 40's and 50's.

Plenty of hair inspiration on here for us too - Spidermom, JustGreen, IslandGirl to name but a few. :)

Fillette
February 3rd, 2010, 09:58 AM
Welcome back! It is so amazing to hear that you beat your cancer! I wish you all the best on your long hair journey! :flower:

embee
February 3rd, 2010, 11:27 AM
Welcome home, I'm glad to hear your happy news! :) Enjoy your new hair. Enjoy LHC.

Hugs.

burns_erin
February 3rd, 2010, 11:41 AM
I'm here again, almost 2 years later, and I'm wondering if I should hang up this long hair stuff. It is so depressing after having long hair. Hair grows reallllly slowly when you're growing from bald. And it's coming in much more gray. And I'm now almost 42. Should I even bother? I mean, it only looks good if it's colored, and only really good if it's highlighted on top of that.

I'm noticing most of the girls here now are lots younger than I am. Maybe I should hang up all of this long hair stuff and figure it is something that looks good on younger women but not me.

What is depressing is when I started regrowing my hair and had a pixie cut, I got MORE compliments on that than I ever did with long hair. I look good with a pixie cut. Go figure.

Discouraged. My hair was beautiful and long before cancer and chemo. I don't want to be an old lady with long hair that doesn't look good on me.

sorry to be such a downer. could use any advice from any ladies who are getting gray. it is so depressing. my hair was so pretty before all of this. I'm wondering what's next---hair thinning as I approach menopause? (and that's coming early, thanks to chemo) tmi, sorry...

Not sure what happened to my hair journal that was linked in my sig. I guess some reconstruction on the site was done. Oh well, I'll start over with that, too, I guess.

I am sorry you are feeling so down. I am growing out from a super short stacked bob and for the longest time it seemed like it would never grow (I know that is not the same as growing from bald, but...).

Well, I am not so old, but I do have a lot of grey. I use henna and the henna turns my grays into brighter highlights, so no highlighting necessary. And henna has been very strengthening for my hair. Of course henna is only a really good fit if you like or want red hair. What is your starting color? How long is it now? You got any pics you can show us?

And remember, your idea of beauty is not up to other people, it is up to you. If you think longer hair is good for you, no matter what any one else says, it IS good for you.

Prism
February 3rd, 2010, 12:01 PM
Well, in celebration of my recommitment to growing, I went a little wild today :D :

Bought a body-size microfiber super-thirsty kinda hair towel through Amazon
Ordered Biotin 5 mg tablets through Amazon
Ordered Now silica tablets through Amazon

And took my multivitamin and other supplements on hand and filled my super-duper nursing-home size pill organizer with the various doses for the rest of the week.

I think I might just start a new hair blog and fill it with the growing pics as well as the few before pics I have. I don't think I have any longgg hair before pics, but I do have some just past shoulder ones.

My hair prechemo was naturally kind of a dark blonde mousy light brown. It came back the same color and texture, but was much, much thicker. I've heard so many women say that that I now think it's because when it comes in, it's all coming in at the same time, whereas regularly our hair is at different cycles.

And when it was very short, the gray was kinda cute. Just gave it a shimmery look.

Now, however, it's well blech. I think I may just go cold turkey on the colorings and highlightings. I know they are so damaging, and switching to gray someday is only going to be worse if there's an abrupt transition.

I've mentioned before that my mom and sis do not trim their hair whatsoever. It's part of their religion (don't ask me about it--sore subject as I am the black sheep who defected). Both of them have hair past their knees. My sister's brushes her ankles. Growing up, I blew dry my hair regularly whereas my sister did not. I think it's because I knew I'd be cutting it someday. Well, interestingly, my hair never got much past BS length whereas my sister's just kept going and going. From that I'm convinced that the blow drying REALLY kills the hair. And curling irons, of course. But it's the long-term blow drying that made my ends very straw like whereas her naturally air-dried hair was conducive to growing long, long hair.

My concern about henna: In talking with Jennifer Bahney (longhairlovers.com), she advised me to steer away from henna because she said it is very drying. My other concern is I currently do have color-treated hair and highlights. Would henna work with that or does it have to be applied to virgin hair? Oh, and yes, I've been red before. It actually looked pretty natural, and I liked being a redhead.

So yes, to answer your question, I'll try to scrounge up the pics I have from the various stages and get them into a journal pronto and get back to measuring. Stay tuned!

(p.s. anybody know how I can find my old journal linked below? maybe they deleted it. I guess I could start over, but it'd be a bummer.)

burns_erin
February 4th, 2010, 07:40 AM
(snip)

And when it was very short, the gray was kinda cute. Just gave it a shimmery look.

Now, however, it's well blech. I think I may just go cold turkey on the colorings and highlightings. I know they are so damaging, and switching to gray someday is only going to be worse if there's an abrupt transition.

I've mentioned before that my mom and sis do not trim their hair whatsoever. It's part of their religion (don't ask me about it--sore subject as I am the black sheep who defected). Both of them have hair past their knees. My sister's brushes her ankles. Growing up, I blew dry my hair regularly whereas my sister did not. I think it's because I knew I'd be cutting it someday. Well, interestingly, my hair never got much past BS length whereas my sister's just kept going and going. From that I'm convinced that the blow drying REALLY kills the hair. And curling irons, of course. But it's the long-term blow drying that made my ends very straw like whereas her naturally air-dried hair was conducive to growing long, long hair.

My concern about henna: In talking with Jennifer Bahney (longhairlovers.com), she advised me to steer away from henna because she said it is very drying. My other concern is I currently do have color-treated hair and highlights. Would henna work with that or does it have to be applied to virgin hair? Oh, and yes, I've been red before. It actually looked pretty natural, and I liked being a redhead.

So yes, to answer your question, I'll try to scrounge up the pics I have from the various stages and get them into a journal pronto and get back to measuring. Stay tuned!

(p.s. anybody know how I can find my old journal linked below? maybe they deleted it. I guess I could start over, but it'd be a bummer.)

To answer some of your henna questions. No, henna does not seem to make most people's hair dry. The only caveat to that is if you do not rinse well the first time it can feel bad till you really get all the henna out. Also, if you use to much acidic liquid in your mix it can be drying, for instance using only lemon juice or vinegar has been known to make people's hair dry. I use water and powdered cloves and my hair is not dry. Also, as long as you use pure henna there is no problem coloring with henna over previously chemical treated hair.

And in case no one has pointed it out to you, nightshade has an excellent article on henna, in the article section.