PDA

View Full Version : My idea of a cool way to measure progress throughout a year

ButterCream
May 6th, 2010, 09:10 AM
And I apologize if somone else ALLREADY have thought about this and posted about it! I couldn`t find anything regarding this so hopefully I am not boring you with something "old".:o

I measured for the VERY first time today, and it was 68 cm, or 26,8 inches.

Well, over to my idea. I thought it was a littlebit fun to do and I wanted to share with you guys who are growing, and just starting to grow. Because this is something you can do to touch and SEE your progress without taking pictures!!

This is easier to do with help I am afraid, so get someone to help you put their finger exactly where the hair stops, unless you yourself are an octopus and can do it yourself, lol:p

I had my husband help me, and here is how it works!

1) Take a piece of string and cut it longer than your hair, this is crucial! Put the very END of the string exactly where your hair starts on your forhead and let it slide downwards and over your hair.

2) Let the person behind you put their fingernails on the string exactly where the end of the hair meets the string.

3) Keep the fingernails on the string and cut it with scissors so the string is the same as the length of your hair.

Done correctly you now will have a piece of string EXACTLY the length of your hair!

4) Put a piece of see through tape on the ends of the string so it won`t unravel and be "frizzy". Put the strin in the string in an envelope and close it.

You can also put different colored tape on the strings to make them stand out from eachother if you prefer, or to write the length, date and year on a sticker and attach it to the string itself! The options are endless here, so do what you prefer.

5) Mark the envelope with the length of the string, the date of measurement and year. SEAL the envelope, it isn`t going to be opened until a YEAR has passed!:eyebrows:

Do this once a month, for a whole year and you can see how much your hair has grown in a year without taking pictures!

Practical for those who don`t have a camera, or those who want to see the progress in a different way (like me, lol).

What do you think guys? Sounds like fun?

I have done the first one today and I wrote on the envelope:

First measurement
May 6`th 2010
68 cm=26,8 inches

I will do this once a month for a whole year.

When the year is over I will open ALL the envelopes, take out the strings and put them beside eachother so they go from may 2010 to may 2011.

Anyone think this sounds like fun? Or...:o

frizzalot
May 6th, 2010, 09:22 AM
sounds great fun, but way too much discipline for me!

good luck :blossom:

Stephichan
May 6th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Good idea! I have a hard time measuring my hair, so I'm not sure how it would work for me in the future. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be amazed at what you see in a year :)

Theobroma
May 6th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Sounds like fun! I think I'm going to do this on the first of every month, which means I'll need to wait until the first of June to measure my first string.

Mind you, whether I'll be able to sustain the self-discipline to wait a whole year before comparing the strings is another story! :D :D :D

serious
May 6th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Great idea, I'm going to do this, but, like Theobroma, I'm not sure I'll be able to wait a hole year to open those envelopes :)

ButterCream
May 6th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Hey, replies:cheese:
And thanks guys!
It isn`t that important not to compare the strings before a year has ended, lol, but I myself want to do it just for the fun of it just to get sort of a "ta-daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" moment:happydance:

The most important thing is to have fun with it, so it would be suuuuper fun for me if some people in here want to do it tooooo:joy:
And no matter what the results are, if they are like this, with a shockingly long result:thud:
Or miniscule result:eye::wail:
we have done a fun hair-project:heart:

chopandchange
May 6th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Another way you could do it is to stand against the wall and draw a small pencil dot where your hair ends. A bit like measuring your height when you were small, except this time the dots will be progressing DOWNWARDS! :cheese:

Theobroma
May 6th, 2010, 11:58 AM
...except this time the dots will be progressing DOWNWARDS!

AAAND... we'd get to draw on the walls! Bonus!!:lol:

Bethie
May 6th, 2010, 12:08 PM
This sounds like fun! I think I will do it, but like others I don't think I will be able to resist comparing the strings.

ButterCream
May 6th, 2010, 12:33 PM
This sounds like fun! I think I will do it, but like others I don't think I will be able to resist comparing the strings.

Thanks Bethie:waving::eye:
I will try ( I SAID tryyy:eyebrows:) and resist string-comparing myself untill a year has past...but, uh, it may be hard after say six measurements, lol...:uhh::lol:

But I will try because I think of how much fun it will be at the LAST measuing, to go and get the other envelopes and rip them open!:D

ButterCream
May 6th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Sounds like fun! I think I'm going to do this on the first of every month, which means I'll need to wait until the first of June to measure my first string.

Mind you, whether I'll be able to sustain the self-discipline to wait a whole year before comparing the strings is another story! :D :D :D

Sounds like a plan Theobroma, the first in every month, good idea:)
I just couldn`t wait to start myself, I HAD to start NOW*giggle*:D

Theobroma
May 6th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Well, it's still the first WEEK of the month even if you're too late for the first DAY! :D

little_cherry
May 6th, 2010, 01:12 PM
This is such a neat way of measuring...but I'll get DH to hide the envelopes! :lol:

Loreley
May 6th, 2010, 01:14 PM
It's a good idea! :)

redneckprincess
May 6th, 2010, 01:35 PM
sounds awesome...if I could find some to help do that I just may give it a try

Capybara
May 6th, 2010, 01:39 PM
What a neat idea!

I do something similar already, but I use one string, and it is the length of my goal - classic. I put a dot on the string about once a month to show how long my hair is, and then I can measure up from the bottom of the string to see how close (or far :D ) I am from goal.

I like the idea of not looking at the strings for a year, though. It would be fun to open them after!

ButterCream
May 6th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Well, it's still the first WEEK of the month even if you're too late for the first DAY! :D

That is SO true! lol:D

This is such a neat way of measuring...but I'll get DH to hide the envelopes! :lol:

Hey, that was a good idea little_cherry!
Let someone hide the envelope for those of us that can`t be trusted with them ourselves, lol:eyebrows:, and when the time comes for the big unraveling we can have them all in one go:hollie:

It's a good idea! :)

PrincessTieflin
May 6th, 2010, 01:58 PM
AAAND... we'd get to draw on the walls! Bonus!!:lol:

LOL My kids will love helping me do that !

Im gonna try this string thing as well, we will see if I can remember to do it every month ;)

Theobroma
May 6th, 2010, 02:02 PM
@Capybara: That's a clever idea too! Oh dear -- now I can't make up my mind which one I want to use! :)

ButterCream
May 6th, 2010, 02:29 PM
sounds awesome...if I could find some to help do that I just may give it a try

I don`t think it is impossible to do it by yourself, but it is easier to have help. Hopefully you will find someone that will help you.
I could offer myself, but the distance is, well, loong, lolol:D

What a neat idea!

I do something similar already, but I use one string, and it is the length of my goal - classic. I put a dot on the string about once a month to show how long my hair is, and then I can measure up from the bottom of the string to see how close (or far :D ) I am from goal.

I like the idea of not looking at the strings for a year, though. It would be fun to open them after!

That was also a great idea! You see the results instantly and great for those who want to see right away:)

LOL My kids will love helping me do that !

Im gonna try this string thing as well, we will see if I can remember to do it every month ;)

If you have a cellphone with calendar you can just plot in a set date, so it will notify you when it is time to measure:)

@Capybara: That's a clever idea too! Oh dear -- now I can't make up my mind which one I want to use! :)

Before you decide what to go for you can think about this:

If you want instant results, you go for the measure-and-see-method:D

If you want a surprize you go for the opening of the envelopes and "unveiling" of the result of a whole years measuring:D

Just a matter of preference:)

VanillaTresses
May 6th, 2010, 02:34 PM
ButterCream, I think that is a fantastically neat idea, and there are a lot of different variations that a person could do with it (as far as frequency etc.). Thank you for sharing! :) Another thing that you could do with it is make a string that is your goal length, and then mark on the string the measurement for each month or year. If you wanted to each marking could be a different color (color coded, if you will). It would be like marking childhood height-- you could see all of the points where you were at and at what dates.

ButterCream
May 6th, 2010, 03:28 PM
ButterCream, I think that is a fantastically neat idea, and there are a lot of different variations that a person could do with it (as far as frequency etc.). Thank you for sharing! :) Another thing that you could do with it is make a string that is your goal length, and then mark on the string the measurement for each month or year. If you wanted to each marking could be a different color (color coded, if you will). It would be like marking childhood height-- you could see all of the points where you were at and at what dates.

Also a great idea VanillaTresses!:waving:

The variations are endless and fun, and thank you so much for your spin on it, it was very clever:blossom:

I have never ever measured my hair before, but find it inspiring as I want to see how much my hair grows each month, have never figured that out.
I know it can vary from month to month, but to see how much per year will be cool!

Thanks for sharing your idea with me!
Hmm...a string of my goal length...think I wanna make me one of those!:hifive:

serious
May 6th, 2010, 04:30 PM
I just cut my first one :)
72 cm = 28,3 inches

ButterCream
May 6th, 2010, 04:33 PM
I just cut my first one :)
72 cm = 28,3 inches

Cool! Then we are twoooo, lol:D
This is fun!:cheer:

pineconejg
May 6th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Vanilla tresses,

I had that exact same idea!

Actually, everyone has great ideas here.

:joy:

JG

julliams
May 6th, 2010, 04:50 PM
I used to do something like this when I was in high school. I would tip my head over frontways so that my hair was hanging down. I would find the longest hair and PULL IT OUT and stick it on my chart. I would do this once a month over about a year and found that my hair grew about 1.2cm each month. Noone told me to do this and I have no idea what prompted me to do it but there you go. I'm pretty sure I threw out the chart so I don't have it around to see the results. Weird huh!

PurpleAshes
May 6th, 2010, 09:12 PM
It sounds so fun! I'd do it if my hair weren't curly

vintersaga
May 6th, 2010, 09:25 PM
It sounds like fun. I found it a little bit difficult to undertand since my english is not very good, but I think I understand how to do it. Unfortunately my hair is too short at the moment to measure like that. But I'll definitely start doing this in about a year, when my hair has grown out from my buzzcut. I will keep this thread so that I don't forget about it. :)

AnimaSola3o4
May 6th, 2010, 11:24 PM
I'm in!! But I probably won't seal the envelopes, since I'll want to see how much my hair grows in a month, then two months, then three etc. I'll probably just tape them to a piece of paper on the wall and write the date on each. Then I'll be able to look at it all the time and visually see the progression constantly as a constant reminder why I am growing my hair! :)

ETA: I probably will use yarn, since i have a ton of it, and cut multiple pieces of the same length for the same date, then seal one in an envelope for a year and then keep one on the wall for reference. String/yarn is cheap. ;)

AnimaSola3o4
May 6th, 2010, 11:26 PM
It sounds so fun! I'd do it if my hair weren't curly

Maybe try to do it when it's soaking wet? I'll probably start doing a heavy oil or something right before wash time so my hair is weighted down enough to get a really accurate reading.

JamieLeigh
May 6th, 2010, 11:49 PM
That is a really cool idea! If I weren't maintaining right here, and was still on the upper part of my lengthening journey, I'd totally be in - I love a good hair project. :D

Keep us posted on how it goes!

Theobroma
May 7th, 2010, 01:30 AM
@ButterCream: Well, if I stick to the idea of doing it on the first of each month, I still have three weeks to make up my mind! And just as well, too. Instant results = good. Surprise = also good! :D

ButterCream
May 7th, 2010, 06:52 AM
@ButterCream: Well, if I stick to the idea of doing it on the first of each month, I still have three weeks to make up my mind! And just as well, too. Instant results = good. Surprise = also good! :D

It is all so very, very good:hifive:

jackiesjottings
May 7th, 2010, 07:50 AM
I might try this too. I have to confess that I do have a hair growth chart at home which I started at tbe beginning of 2008.....

ButterCream
May 8th, 2010, 10:43 AM
I might try this too. I have to confess that I do have a hair growth chart at home which I started at tbe beginning of 2008.....

That sounds fun, to have a hair related chart at home! It is fun to see progress and results:D

Juliannaissance
May 8th, 2010, 10:48 AM
That is such a great idea! I've had problems with measuring my hair since it gets curly or wavy at times. I must try it as soon as I can. :cheese:

ButterCream
May 9th, 2010, 06:20 AM
That is such a great idea! I've had problems with measuring my hair since it gets curly or wavy at times. I must try it as soon as I can. :cheese:

Cool:)
Let us know how it works out for you:waving:

ButterCream
June 14th, 2010, 08:32 AM
I have made envelope # 2 the 5`th of june and it hangs on my board on the wall, waiting to be opened next year.

I have no desire to open them and compare before next may:D

Next measurement is 5`th of july, then there will be three...!

sipp10
June 14th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Sounds like so much fun! I think I'll do this after a major trim this fall.

BTW, this is my first post! :cheese:

May
June 14th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Great idea. I :heartbeat: it. I think I'd go the same route as AnimaSola3o4 and not seal :o

fairytalegirl
June 15th, 2010, 11:17 AM
I like this idea. Can I still join in? I can't wait to see them lined up side by side. I am wondering if some months will have more growth than others or which months. I always feel like my hair grows faster in the summer. This will be a fun way to find out.

fairystar32
June 18th, 2010, 05:12 AM
cool idea ;)
I measure mine against my tattoos :)

ButterCream
June 23rd, 2010, 07:19 AM
Sounds like so much fun! I think I'll do this after a major trim this fall.

BTW, this is my first post! :cheese:

Cool, then you will see the progress in a diferent way:)

And WELCOME by the way!!:flower:

ButterCream
June 23rd, 2010, 07:20 AM
Great idea. I :heartbeat: it. I think I'd go the same route as AnimaSola3o4 and not seal :o

And it really doesn`t matter how you do, it as long as you have fun with it :):D

ButterCream
June 23rd, 2010, 07:23 AM
I like this idea. Can I still join in? I can't wait to see them lined up side by side. I am wondering if some months will have more growth than others or which months. I always feel like my hair grows faster in the summer. This will be a fun way to find out.

Yes, welcome, how fun you wanted to join. The more the merrier:cheese:
Let us know how it goes:D

cool idea ;)
I measure mine against my tattoos :)

And measuring using the tattoos are cool too!:D

Pear Martini
June 23rd, 2010, 09:35 AM
sounds great fun, but way too much discipline for me!

good luck :blossom:

agreed :D

schiele
June 23rd, 2010, 07:33 PM
This is a great idea. I don't have a digital camera and I don't want to use my film on taking pictures of my back.

I don't think I'll do it every month though, maybe just when I'm feeling particularly frustrated about the length of my hair.

I think the best part would be opening the first envelope a year later and seeing how much your hair has grown since!

ButterCream
June 25th, 2010, 08:37 AM
This is a great idea. I don't have a digital camera and I don't want to use my film on taking pictures of my back.

I don't think I'll do it every month though, maybe just when I'm feeling particularly frustrated about the length of my hair.

I think the best part would be opening the first envelope a year later and seeing how much your hair has grown since!

Hey, that`s cool too:)

And think how surprized you will be when you open the envelope after being so frustrated over you hair that when you see the actual progress, you will be so happy:D

Good luck, and have fun:hollie::)

Lunami
June 25th, 2010, 09:49 AM
It's a great idea! :D

I just wanted to pop in and ask a question about hair growth, didn't want to start a new thread. My hair has grown 1cm in two weeks and i was wondering if this is normal to grow so much in two weeks, i thought it would grow mm per mm and not 1cm that fast?

ButterCream
June 25th, 2010, 02:23 PM
It's a great idea! :D

I just wanted to pop in and ask a question about hair growth, didn't want to start a new thread. My hair has grown 1cm in two weeks and i was wondering if this is normal to grow so much in two weeks, i thought it would grow mm per mm and not 1cm that fast?

Thanks Lunami:D

And W.O.W.!!!!
A centimeter in just two weeks I consider awesome!!
I grow about an centimeter in one month!
Lucky you!

I know there are people in here who grows hair as fast as a wind, with about an inch or more a month, which I consider to be so fast! So you are probably in that category too;)

Lunami
June 25th, 2010, 02:39 PM
ButterCream
Thank you for the encouragement! But who knows, maybe it was my months growth. We'll see, i will measure next week too :D It's so nice to see the progress, i would have never known had i not measured.

ButterCream
June 25th, 2010, 03:22 PM
ButterCream
Thank you for the encouragement! But who knows, maybe it was my months growth. We'll see, i will measure next week too :D It's so nice to see the progress, i would have never known had i not measured.

Haha, don`t be to surprized that your hair will grow more still, giving you an idea of how much it grows in a month;):D

I know it is very encouraging to see progress! I thrive on it myself, getting my hopes up that it isn`t possible to get long hair again:D

Good luck with next measurenment!:cheese:

ButterCream
August 9th, 2010, 12:06 PM
I measured today, a littlebit later than I was supposed to, six days overdue so to speak.

In july the 3`rd I measured 27,9 inches (70,6 cm)

Today I measured 28,2 inches (71,7 cm)

That is only (sigh:rolleyes:) 0,4 inches in over a month:( (1,1 cm )

But then I suddenly remembered something..

A familymember that is a hairdresser, came to visit in middle of july and she helped me TRIM MY ENDS!! She took off about 0,4 inches! I totally forgot about that!!

That means that if I hadn`t trimmed, the growth would add up to 28,6 inches!
So glad I trimmed them, I got 0,4 inch off for free this month, I didn`t have to "pay" any length to get fresh ends, lol:D

I guess being summer my hair have grown a little bit faster than usual! (I must be a slow to normal grower then I guess..?)

Just a little from me.
I know it isn`t very interesting for others around me, but this is cool at least to me, lol :D

Henrietta
August 9th, 2010, 12:54 PM
I love the idea!
It will be a lot of fun to open the envelopes! :)

goldenoak
August 9th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Oooh, lots of fun ideas on this thread!

I was recently trying to figure out how much distance I had between different milestones, and so took and wrote down some measurements. For example on me, SL is 18", AL is 22", BSL is 27", etc. It would be fun to have a "master thread" with the goal lengths marked in one color, and then mark monthly progress down the thread with a different color.

(Yeah, I was one of those little kids who wanted to be measured every week...)

file:///C:/Users/owner/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png

Juneii
August 9th, 2010, 01:44 PM
AWESOME IDEA. But knowing me I would be taking it out each month to have a look-see D:

emsahib
August 10th, 2010, 06:40 AM
sounds like a great idea :D i also like Capybara's idea cos you can see how close your getting (or I guess how far away you are) Think I'll definatly try one of these :)

What a neat idea!

I do something similar already, but I use one string, and it is the length of my goal - classic. I put a dot on the string about once a month to show how long my hair is, and then I can measure up from the bottom of the string to see how close (or far ) I am from goal.

LittleRainbow
August 11th, 2010, 02:31 PM
I'm on it! See you in a year ladies (and gentlemen)!!!!:magic: :bigtongue:

shawty
August 11th, 2010, 03:22 PM
That sounds fun but my hair is too short to measure that way (from forhead to ends behind me)... maybe next year I'll do it!

Jenw777
August 11th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun, but I'm too lazy.