PDA

View Full Version : Vaseline in my hair!

tcheney91
May 5th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Yes, I accidentally got vaseline in my hair through a series of unfortunate events. I won't go into specifics, but how does one go about getting it out? I don't want to fry my ends (where it's concentrated), but I need it out! It's sticky and gross. Uhhhggg. Please help me...

Flynn
May 5th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Warm water, shampoo and conditioner might just do it, if you haven't tried it yet.

RenaBanana
May 5th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Oh no!!

I just looked at this website: http://www.creativehomemaking.com/cleaning/removing-vaseline-from-hair.shtml
and apparently soda like Coke, Pepsi, or RC work wonders.

tcheney91
May 5th, 2010, 09:49 PM
I tried shampoo, but it's still there... I don't want to be too rough with it.

ETA: I didn't see your post, RenaBanana. I'll try those soon. Thanks!

RenaBanana
May 5th, 2010, 09:53 PM
let us know if it works!

Oh, and here's another website that seems a little more credible than the last one:
http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip959.htm
You should be able to do it if you have cornstarch or cornmeal powder.

ArienEllariel
May 5th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Oh no! Unfortunately I don't have any advice for you but I hope you're able to get it out alright.

My cousin wanted something to condition her hair back when she was a teenager and my grandmother suggested vaseline (having never tried it herself.. *shakes head*)- keep in mind this woman was not the brightest... It took my cousin a very very long time to get it out of her hair (at least a week) and much overwashing. She never took any of my grandmother's advice again.

tcheney91
May 5th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Well, I might have to wait until Sunday night. I currently live in a dorm, where I don't have any cornstarch or anything. I do have tiny packets of peanut butter... maybe I'll try that later. Hmm...

And goodness, who would use vaseline to condition? It's making my hair feel like horrid coated straw!

Flynn
May 5th, 2010, 10:00 PM
I tried shampoo, but it's still there... I don't want to be too rough with it.

ETA: I didn't see your post, RenaBanana. I'll try those soon. Thanks!

What about a good conditioner soak? You should also be able to thin it with a good heavy oiling and some heat, which might make it easier to get out...

clichepithet
May 5th, 2010, 10:04 PM
What about a good conditioner soak? You should also be able to thin it with a good heavy oiling and some heat, which might make it easier to get out...

I was going to suggest this, too. So hit yourself heavy with the conditioner, let it set for a good while, then rinse (rinse, rinse) and wash+ (?) as usual. Good luck.

tcheney91
May 5th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Sadly, I don't even own a hair dryer to heat it up with. I just CO'ed, and it didn't really do anything. The ends are still gross. I'll have to try the peanut butter or wait until Sunday when I move back home.

spidermom
May 5th, 2010, 10:06 PM
I used Vaseline for a Halloween look once. Nothing would take it out until a woman in my office told me Dawn dishwashing liquid (original formula). PERFECT! Give your hair a deep treatment afterward; it will be fine.

tcheney91
May 5th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Now dishwashing soap I have... got to clean the dorm dishes, ya know...

spidermom
May 5th, 2010, 10:09 PM
If it's not Dawn, it might not work. I tried the dishwashing liquid I had on hand first; it did nothing. I had to go buy Dawn, but it was totally worth it. Vaseline is SO not an attractive look, unless you're being a ghoul for Halloween.

tcheney91
May 5th, 2010, 10:11 PM
I have lemon scented Joy. I'll have to try it, I'm too poor to go out and buy more. Or maybe someone in my hall has some Dawn.

Flynn
May 5th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Sadly, I don't even own a hair dryer to heat it up with. I just CO'ed, and it didn't really do anything. The ends are still gross. I'll have to try the peanut butter or wait until Sunday when I move back home.

Do you have a (mostly) cotton pillowcase and a good amount of rice? (Several cups.) To make a heatpack, put the rice in the pillowcase and tie it off. Heat in the microwave for 2 min. Put whatever you want to soak your hair with in your hair, pile your hair up on the top of your head, and put a plastic bag, clingfilm or a showercap over it. Plonk the heatpack on top, and wrap the whole lot in a towel. As long as the rice hasn't gotten wet, it should be okay to use afterward. I'd keep it separate from the rest of your rice, though, just in case.

I don't own a hairdryer. If I want to do a hot oil treament, this is how I do it.

spidermom
Good luck! You might want to put on a good olive or coconut oiling first, have some extra protection. I didn't know about oil when it happened to me, but I swear, my hair was all right afterwards.

clichepithet

You don't need a hair drier. If you wrap your head with a plastic bag (head - not face... ;) ) or two, then a towel and sit around for a couple of hours, your body-heat should be sufficient. I would definitely follow this with shampoo and lots of water.

*ETA: Sorry! While I typed that out there were like, 20 more replies to this thread. Either y'all are way faster'n me or I'm lagging. :D Like I said; Good luck! *backing out now*...

tcheney91
May 5th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Whew, I have plenty of options to try now! I don't have any rice (again, with the dorm life). But I might just keep it all contained in a bun until I move back home. Finals are in full swing anyways.

Flynn
May 5th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Whew, I have plenty of options to try now! I don't have any rice (again, with the dorm life). But I might just keep it all contained in a bun until I move back home. Finals are in full swing anyways.

Really? O.o I practically live on the stuff! Hahahahaha.

tcheney91
May 5th, 2010, 10:20 PM
I love rice, I just don't have the funds or space for a big ol' bag of it! Nor do I have a kitchen...

Flynn
May 5th, 2010, 10:26 PM
I love rice, I just don't have the funds or space for a big ol' bag of it! Nor do I have a kitchen...

Really? O.o Do the college feed you or something?

tcheney91
May 5th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Yes, we have two dining halls. I have a two-a-day meal plan. Mmmm... cafeteria food. Bleh.

Flynn
May 5th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Yes, we have two dining halls. I have a two-a-day meal plan. Mmmm... cafeteria food. Bleh.

Ugh. I couldn't deal with having absolutely no control over what I eat.

tcheney91
May 5th, 2010, 10:36 PM
There are a lot of options, but they rotate. So eventually, it's the same thing. It's alright though. It's a super expensive college (which is one of the reasons I'm transferring), so the food is decent.