PDA

View Full Version : Itchy hair problem :(

xxaimsxx
May 5th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I'm looking for natural shampoos and conditioners to soothe my itchy hair.
Ive been using t gel but it has coal tar in it and im afraid it will strip my hair and damage it if i keep using it. So anything thats gentle for hair?

Flynn
May 5th, 2010, 08:43 PM
I think generally if you have sensitive skin and your shampoo isn't over-drying and irritating your skin, your hair is usually fine...

Coal tar shampoo is too harsh for my skin, though. I use Alchemy Very Gentle Unscented. It's easy to get in the UK and Australia.

Brat
May 5th, 2010, 08:47 PM
I like T Gel, seems to help. Can you put conditoner on the length and use the shampoo on just your roots? That's what I've been doing and it totally works.

x0h_bother
May 5th, 2010, 09:12 PM
If you still have an itchy scalp, you might want to switch to an "antifungal" antidandruff shampoo instead, one that is less harsh. I would try a pyrithione zinc antidandruff shampoo like Head and Shoulders. Also, an apple cider vinegar rinse on the scalp for some people takes away an itchy scalp. You also may want to try diluting your shampoo. GL!

Katze
May 6th, 2010, 08:20 AM
i find anything with honey in it helps a lot.

Have dealt with itchy SCALP (I am assuming that is what you mean :D ) for many many years. Not touching it, eating better (less sugar/caffeine), and occasional sulfate washes (going totally no-poo was BAD for my scalp) seem to help keep it in check.

But SMTs or just scrubs with crystallized honey really calm and soothe my scalp. Honey is humectant as well as antibacterial and my scalp (and skin) really like it.

hth!

moominhapa
May 6th, 2010, 08:43 AM
The latest thing I've tried is rinsing with an aspirin dissolved in a cup of water. You can try dissolving one in a bottle of mild shampoo instead. This would be helpful if shampoos with salicylic acid work for you, because it's essentially the same thing.

I feel your pain. I used to use T-gel too, but I stopped using it because it was harsh on my hair, and I also don't like the idea of coal tar in or on my body when it's a possible carcinogen. But for me it's been very difficult to find a natural alternative. Anyway, good luck!

BunnyBee
May 6th, 2010, 11:46 AM
I see you're in the UK, I've been using E45 shampoo which has never left my hair feeling stripped and my itchies have gone away :) It also contains climbazole which is an antifungal. You can buy it in Boots. If your scalp is dry, Boots also do a lotion that you put on after washing.

Sulfate free shampoos didn't work for me.