PDA

View Full Version : Hot Oil Treatment Idea

Pear Martini
May 5th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Slather your hair or at least th bottom half of your hair with olive oil and go for a long walk on a sunny day. The sun will heat up the oil on your hair and help it penetrate..

What do you think?

Will this work?

Meagan
May 5th, 2010, 02:15 PM
I've read that that could fry the hair.

Pear Martini
May 5th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Oh my goodness... maybe its a bad idea?

Hana
May 5th, 2010, 02:19 PM
i agree. if oil on your skin will fry it, im sure it would do similar things to the hair.
in my opinion, at least.

Pear Martini
May 5th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Whats something you could put in your hair to protect it from the sun if you go for an hour long walk in a sunny locale?

Hana
May 5th, 2010, 02:23 PM
if you covered it with a headscarf, then the combined heat from both your head and the sun should warm the oil. its entirely possible that would work.
i think the idea here is to not expose the hair to direct sunlight.

unless anyone else has had experience otherwise? mostly guesswork going on here. :shrug:

x0h_bother
May 5th, 2010, 02:47 PM
My hair loves the sun. Somehow it makes it shinier. If you use cones, use a leave in so the moisture is not sucked out of your hair for some protection.

pinklemonade
May 5th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Slather your hair or at least th bottom half of your hair with olive oil and go for a long walk on a sunny day. The sun will heat up the oil on your hair and help it penetrate..

What do you think?

Will this work?

I also thought of doing this all summer, but yikes I didn't know it would be like deep frying hair? Wouldn't it be better to put oil though than not putting anything at all on your hair under the sun??I wonder if this applies to any kind of oil...what about shea butter?

spidermom
May 5th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I try to keep my hair out of direct sunshine because it gets dried out otherwise. I usually do have some oil in it, and I'm sure the warmth of the sun helps the oil to penetrate. Today I was blow-drying because it's cold, and I noticed little chunks of solidified coconut oil on my hair, so I hit it with the warmest setting for a few minutes, just to get it melted so it would distribute through my hair. I hope that was o.k.

AmericanWoman
May 5th, 2010, 06:21 PM
I dopn't think it would be any differant than warming the oil before applying. Sunshine doesn't get as hot as a blowdryer. I don't think it would hurt the hair. Unless it's 120 degrees or so. But a regular sunny day, s'alrite. JMO