PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Getting ready to self trim... What do to??

Little_Bird
May 7th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Hello there!!

I haven't posted for a long time and I have to apologize for not saying anything. I have been super busy with university, and I only have 1 month now. I can say I'm the person in class who is ahead on the skeduals for delivering everything and I still have so much to do! I can only breathe university for one more month... then I'm FREE!!

Now about my hair! It's been growing ery well, and this month I've reached 35.43 inches. This is about belt lenght at me, when I pull my hair straight. Still, my ends have been getting worse lately so I think it's time for a trim. I had decided some time ago that I was going to start trimming more regularly when my hair reached my waist, and now that's it's just a little past it I think it's time. My plan is to do very small trims, about half an inch or less, every 4 months, but having a little more removed once a year, just to make sure I keep the ends clean and in good shape, which they aren't right now, at all :rolleyes: I hope to keep my hair growing while I do these small trims, untill it reaches at least classic lenght (must be around 2 more years for me). After that, I am not sure what will happen :p Hehe...
I decided to keep my hair maintenence all for me, including trims, because it's just too hard to find a hairdresser who likes long hair and doesn't break it. My hairdresser is super nice but she just can't deal with long hair, she breaks too much and when you trim there you come out with more splits that you had before... I can tell :mad:

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I have a lot of questions!

I am trimming my hair next friday, taking probably a very tiny amount. This is a good month to trim because beach time is almost coming and I want nicer ends to start it, so they don't get too bad. I will have another trim in September, when the Summer's gone.

Now what I don't know is how I should do this. I will be following Feye's method for straight across ends, but I have two questions:

1 ) - Should I trim my hair wet or dry? What brings better results?
2) - In case of being with dry hair, should it be on a clean day or in a dirty day (like, after a washing day or before one?). Take in consideration I only wash my hair once a week so... :D

Ahh... I really missed posting here! I hope everyone is getting the hang of the new LHC, I sure do have a lot to catch up! Thank you all for reading! Long hair forever :flowers:!!!

Please do reply to this message :o

chloeishere
May 7th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Hi! I just did a self trim with Feye's method myself... but I used the U shape instructions.
I've only used Feye's method once, so I don't know about the differences. I trimmed on dirty hair, but I think wet hair might have worked better since I have waves. It still turned out good, though! It looks nice and even when combed.
This was the result:
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/chloeishere/IMG_3661c-1.jpg

So, I think it doesn't matter too much if your hair is wet or dry-- I would probably continue to trim on dirty hair if I didn't want to do it wet... since dirty hair has less wave for me, so it might be a bit more even.

Euphony
May 7th, 2008, 05:03 PM
I can't give you any advice (I'm so sorry), but first I wanna see pictures of your new length. OMG I bet it's wonderful! Next ~CONGRATULATIONS~ on doing so well in you classes and congrats on it being almost summer!

I'll be watching this thread since I do want to eventually, whenever I get up the courage, to cut my own hair. Fortunately for now I have a great stylist (though next time I want her to use my combs), but in the next couple of years hubby and I are moving 300 miles away so I won't be able to see her again. That makes me sad, and very apprehensive on doing trims myself.

spidermom
May 7th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I trimmed my own free-style (lopping off as many splits as I could with one cut on approximately 1-inch-wide strands), then tried to even it up using Feye's method back in March. I ended up with a 1-inch discrepancy at a slant from left to right. Good thing I have a trusty hair stylist; she fixed it right up. From now on I'll skip the self-trim and pay her to do it. Best wishes to you; I hope it goes well. I'm not qualified to give advice on this matter.

Chromis
May 7th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I use Feye's method to trim my hair with great success. I trim on dry hair a couple of days after washing. This for me is when it lays its nicest and smoothest without frizz. I sometimes have my husband slide the hairband down the length for me to make sure it is even since it gets harder to pull it down straight as my hair grows longer. Then a I take a nice sharp pair of scissors and snip off the end right over the trash can. No muss, no mess, and nice even ends! I don't tend to do the parting over the shoulders bit since my *ahem* vast tracts of land get in the way.

jojo
May 7th, 2008, 05:23 PM
hi there stranger!
Well I prefer to cut on dry hair, which is freshly washed as i think on wet im scared i may stretch my hair and cut more than i want to.

I cut an inch off mine in Feb (most recent siggi pic) and used Fayes cutting method. I was a U shaped hem but wanted a blunt, theres still a teeny curve but overall my results where good. If a blunt is what your after make sure to keep your neck straight and head up high, just snip the very ends, dont go for a 1/2 or 1" all at once, do it in stages it took me about 40 minutes. Once you have cut a teeny bit off, check it out to see its straight, if it is your position is right, just keep repeating until your happy with it.

And well done on surviving university, im in the same boat still another 10 weeks for me and im drowning in essays and dissertations but not long now and you will be throwing that graduation cap in the air saying 'i done it!'.

Please post picture of your result and a graduation picture would be nice too!!!

Good luck and great to 'see' you again x

camillacamilla
May 7th, 2008, 05:25 PM
I use Feye's method on dry hair, usually right before I wash it- so that would make it two day old dirty hair. It is really easy to do and quick. If you aren't sure, just take a little off until you get the hang of it.

alligatorbaby23
May 7th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Personally, I do approve Feye's method!
Dirty wet hair is the way to go though. I did mine about 2 months past. Sharp scissors, wet greasy hair, combed straight.
I always work from the back bottom up and forward. My nape seems to grow like wild fire, thus fitting I start there.
I comb out one section at a time, from one side, parted evenly, then cut, after combing and straightening the hairs. Then I do the same for the other side, section by section, comparing in the mirror side by side and with my fingers. I also partition my hair by segments, that way i do not get an errant hair. Tiny claw clips work best for this part. I usually divide into 3 /4 hemispheres for my head. Then go to it after consideration.
The last cut was amazing, my hair is , ummm. curly and unruly. I always need to touch up a few days later though, being a curly.. And I actually needed to cut the bottom/nape about 3 inches shorter(i know you do not intend to cut that much !).. Experiment with a wee bit at a time..
Little_Bird You have great hair genes! I am sure you will do great on your own.. Good luck and post before and afters for us photo lovers!
HTH -mao

chrissy-b
May 7th, 2008, 05:35 PM
I haven't tried Feye's method, but I've been cutting my own hair for about 10 years. I cut my hair wet (dirty or clean doesn't seem to matter with my hair) and usually feel the length and check with a mirror to make sure I'm getting it all even before I snip. When I'm done I wash, let my hair dry and then look for any missed hair or uneven parts and trim again if needed.

Good luck and please post pics!!

birthmarkie
May 7th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Nice to hear from you again. Congratulations with your success at your university. That is awesome! Also, congrats on your hair growth :D
I did a little trim for myself a few days ago, using Feye's method. I parted my hair in the middle and brought each two sides over to the front, smoothed down with my fingers, holding the hair ends tightly, and snipped about 1/4 of an inch. I think it will be easier for you since you have longer hair. I would suggest trimming dry hair, so there is no stretching of hair or mistake about how much you are taking off. I also suggest it on dirty hair or at least give yourself the option of washing it afterward if you want to.
Good luck. Measure twice, cut once! There is also a "self-trimmers social group" here on TLHC now that you might want to check out.

Kiraela
May 8th, 2008, 12:10 AM
I just wanted to welcome you back and congradulate you on your successes at university! I'd definately like to see new pics of how long it's gotten (and a before/after trim comparison would be awesome too ;) !)

Amoretti
May 8th, 2008, 03:48 AM
Welcome back! I missed you.
I don't know much about the trimming methods because I just plonk half my hair over each shoulder and do micro trims that way (yes, very professional, I know. LOL).
Can't wait to see your updated pics. Belt length? Cool!

Little_Bird
May 8th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Thank you so much everyone, for the warm rewelcome! Also thank you for the kind hints and opinions, I could really use it!

I am going to trim my hair tomorrow, but just a little, it's just my first time and I want to keep it safe! I will be posting update picture and before/after pictures :D

Stay well everyone!!! :flower:

Loviatar
May 8th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Welcome back Little Bird! Glad you are enjoying university and congratulations on your great growth. Awesome to see you back here :)

I have to say I wash my hair first, then let it dry, and THEN I self trim, but I use the Feye U-shape directions. I don't like to trim wet hair as I am conscious that my hair shrinks up a little when it dries, and I don't like to trim dirty hair - well, just because. I am fussy I guess. Also my hair tends to wave a lot more when it is dirty, as it will have been in a bun or braids for a few days, and almost certainly have been oiled or misted. So I wash, air dry so it is straight, and then trim.

Good luck with your self trim , don't take too much off at once. I try to treat self trims as 'microtrims' and do a few microtrims at a time rather than one huge 1/2 inch trim, for example.

:flowers: