PDA

View Full Version : Measuring Hair "Backwards"

Topaz
May 5th, 2010, 08:21 AM
I've been growing increasingly frustrated with trying to get accurate measurements of my hair. That darned tape measure seems to have a magnetic polarity that makes my hair slip every which way trying to get away from it!

Last night I tried doing it 'backwards.' I draped the tape measure over my head with the beginning 1" end hanging loose down my back. With the tape measure 'balanced' atop my head, I used both hands to get that darned end of the tape measure aligned with the longest tippy tip of my hair. Two hands makes a big difference! Once it was properly aligned and firmly gripped, I pulled the hair-with-tape measure nice and straight and taut while with my other hand I reached atop my head to the tape measure and snugged it nice and straight and taut.

This way, the actual measurement shows on your forehead, at your hairline, so you don't have to worry (like I do) with screwing up the measurement when you try to bring the bottom of the tape measure around yourself and into view.

I did it two times and both were dead-on the same, unlike when I do it the regular way and it comes out different ever single time.

So did I have a moment of brilliance last night, or has the frustration finally driven me mad? Mwaahaha!!!

Alcenaia
May 5th, 2010, 08:32 AM
This sounds like a good idea! :cheese: I will have to try it when I take my hair down today.

Fairlight63
May 5th, 2010, 08:39 AM
That is a good idea, got to try that next time!

Topaz
May 5th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Any of you who try it, please let me know how it worked for you. I'd really like to hear! :)

spidermom
May 5th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Necessity is the mother of invention, they say. My tape measure lies, so I judge growth (or lack of lately) by where my hair falls in relationship to body parts and clothing.

RenaBanana
May 5th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Ooh, I have been doing it this way too! Measuring it "forwards" is just so difficult when you don't have someone else to help you out!

Hana
May 5th, 2010, 02:12 PM
THATS BRILLIANT.
so gonna try this now! :D

thanks!

edit - also tried this method, but tied my hair in a ponytail with the measuring tape inside, so i could pull the two down at the same time. voila! more accurate measurement at the hairline.

aksown
May 5th, 2010, 03:16 PM
That sounds awesome! I've also given up on measuring my hair since, while it's longer on my body, I measure the exact same on the tape every time. I realized I'm about three inches from hip length, but the tape says I'm still at bra strap. :rolleyes:
I might have to give this a shot when I find my tape again!!

Anje
May 5th, 2010, 03:53 PM
I'll have to try this! Though I haven't measured much since I've been maintaining for some thickness.

Necessity is the mother of invention, they say. My tape measure lies, so I judge growth (or lack of lately) by where my hair falls in relationship to body parts and clothing.
Maybe you're shrinking? (Sorry, I couldn't resist! :D)

Theobroma
May 6th, 2010, 04:07 AM
I tried this yesterday after reading your post, and it's a brilliant idea! Much easier to do this way!

Svenja
May 6th, 2010, 04:25 AM
That's great! I'm gonna try this tonight - this time I might not need my hubby to help me. Thank you for sharing!

mellie
May 6th, 2010, 05:23 AM
Very brilliant!

countryhopper
May 6th, 2010, 05:30 AM
I'll have to compare this with my measurement from forehead to tip!

I posted last week on my paper tape measure from IKEA. I mark increments with a highlighter so when i measure in the mirror, I just look for the colored line. MUCH easier than trying to look at the little numbers!

Topaz
May 6th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Hana, the ponytail is a brilliant addition! I'll try it that way next time! :cheese:

Svenja
May 6th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Is it cheating to measure the hair when its wet?

PrincessTieflin
May 6th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Is it cheating to measure the hair when its wet?

I don't think so If it is I have been cheating since I joined, with my curls I almost always get the same dry. Wet I can get a more accurate reading :)

Honestwitness
May 6th, 2010, 02:34 PM
I agree with Spidermom about using body parts for milestones, but I'll have to try the OP's method. I've been rather frustrated trying to bring the tape measure around front so I can see the tiny numbers, too.

I have developed an alternate method of measuring my hair. When it's wet and I'm squeezing out the rinse water, I gather it into a low ponytail with my left fist to squeeze out the water. Then I grab just below that with my right fist and squeeze the water down the length a little farther. I keep alternating fists until I get to the end. I just count how many fists and knuckles until I run out of hair.

My hair is now at mid-back length, or BSL, or four fists and one knuckle.

ArienEllariel
May 6th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Well that is a whole lot easier than the way I've been doing it.. *slaps forehead* You'd think some of us would have thought of this before... or maybe they did and I'm just a blundering idiot. lol :)

Alcenaia
May 6th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Any of you who try it, please let me know how it worked for you. I'd really like to hear! :)

I tried this morning. I had intense braid waves, so I usually wouldn't bother, but with this method I could straighten them out without dropping the tape measure four times. I got 43" exactly on the first try, which seems to be the average when I measure "forwards", although I've gotten everything from 40" to 45". Once I figured out how exactly to balance the tape measure and where my hands should go, this was easier for me. I think this may become my default way to measure! :flower:

marikamt
May 6th, 2010, 07:38 PM
That sounds awesome! I've also given up on measuring my hair since, while it's longer on my body, I measure the exact same on the tape every time. I realized I'm about three inches from hip length, but the tape says I'm still at bra strap. :rolleyes:
I might have to give this a shot when I find my tape again!!

Me too!!!!! It is longer in pics, but measures the 'same' since november!!!!!!!