PDA

View Full Version : A shout out to all subjects of baby fine hair

merseaone
May 5th, 2010, 06:25 AM
I am a subject of Queen Baby Fine Hair, have lots of it (though it doesn't look like it), and have a faerie land hem. Let's post pictures here of hairstyles we create. I'll go first:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=67263&albumid=4254&dl=1269111073&thumb=1

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/image.php?u=24047&dateline=1269279611&type=profilehttp://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=67628&albumid=4254&dl=1269558992&thumb=1http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4254&pictureid=67629

girlcat36
May 5th, 2010, 05:56 PM
I have baby fine fine hair--but NOT a lot of it. So braids and things don't look great. I usually just pull it back into a pony or a half up with a Flexi 8.
Looking forward to seeing what others post!
Your French braid is very pretty!

ibleedlipstick
May 5th, 2010, 08:57 PM
I have a TON of baby fine hair- my ponytail/braids are super thick, but my individual hairs are literally like a newborns. It is so very frustrating to me- I have gone into salons and been either turned away because they didn't know how to deal with my hair, or had the stylist call every other stylist there over to inspect my unusual hair. My hair is so short right now though :(

LadyVictoria
May 5th, 2010, 11:16 PM
*raises hand* count me in! I will have to upload some pics but I am definitely a member of the baby fine hair club. I can remember back in the dark ages of heat styling, I would try to curl my hair using hot rollers, soft rollers and a curling iron & it just wouldn't hold no matter what I did. I used to get frustrated by that but not now since I gave up heat styling & finally set my hair free by accepting it for what it truly is.

merseaone
May 6th, 2010, 06:46 AM
*raises hand* count me in! I will have to upload some pics but I am definitely a member of the baby fine hair club. I can remember back in the dark ages of heat styling, I would try to curl my hair using hot rollers, soft rollers and a curling iron & it just wouldn't hold no matter what I did. I used to get frustrated by that but not now since I gave up heat styling & finally set my hair free by accepting it for what it truly is.

I use to get a body perm (and use hair gel along with a ton of hair spray) so I could curl the top of my head and keep it curled and the rest look thick. I use to curl the hem but it didn't take, but here I am at 53 and I discovered you have to use the heavy duty hair gel to get the hair to curl on the bottom!

I've always been slow when it comes to styling hair! I invented the bi-level haircut back in the mid 70's but couldn't get it to stay the way I wanted it.... honestly I never thought to use gel or hairspray... finally gave up on it and then every one started wearing their hair that way. by the time I invented my poof I had discovered gel and hairspray. You should have seen the looks I got when I started wearing my hair that way. A few years later all of a sudden I was in a crowd of poofs!:D

dropinthebucket
May 6th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Another super baby fine here, with not too much hair to speak of at all. Mousse used to be my absolute hair necessity - but i've found amla does a much better, longer-lasting job of giving my thin hair some volume! :)

Unofficial_Rose
May 6th, 2010, 07:53 AM
I qualify for this, which is why I can rarely make half-ups look good.

When I'm hennaing instead of highlighting, it looks a bit thicker, but I've noticed a lot of people have far more hair than me. Honestly, some people seem to have 3 times as much hair. I think it was thicker when I was younger, i.e. 'fine but a lot of it', I swear it has diminished in volume. :rolleyes:

I've just had a major shed too, and have lots of 1 inch long new hairs around my hairline. I've started using bhringraj oil in the hope that that will extend the growing phase.

Cassia gives it more body temporarily. :)

merseaone
May 6th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Another super baby fine here, with not too much hair to speak of at all. Mousse used to be my absolute hair necessity - but i've found amla does a much better, longer-lasting job of giving my thin hair some volume! :)

What is Amla? I use Aloe Vera on my hair to thicken it.

dropinthebucket
May 6th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Amla - ground plant powder - I got some with my henna and indigo, it's supposed to help the indigo bond better to the henna (cooler colour, less fading). But it's also supposed to be good for henna users who want to get some of their curl back after the weight of henna has loosened it. So I tried some on its own, and it was awesome, better than cassia for adding wave and volume.

Rivanariko
May 6th, 2010, 10:56 AM
I'm definitely in this club. Baby fine hair and lots of it, though my ponytails and braids still don't look particularly thick. I've got enough length that my updos are usually of decent size, and the advantage of my super-fine hair was that I could do a lot of buns before my hair was supposedly "long enough". I could do an infinity bun at almost-waist! Now that I'm just-past-hip, there's not a lot that I'm too short for :-D

tyrant1100
May 6th, 2010, 12:18 PM
My hair is definately on the very extreme end of baby fine. To the point that if I'm wearing it down, all the hairs around my hair line will float on air currents (not kidding) along with other strands around my crown. People always think I've just touched a light socket. I can brush it out carefully but just a few turns of my head or a slight breeze and I suddenly have tangles again! Does anyone else have this issue?

I don't think I really grow human hair. I suspect I grow the gravity defying stuff they make to put on Muppets (I've in fact nicknamed my hair "Muppet Hair"). All I need to do is dye it some bright colors.

girlcat36
May 6th, 2010, 05:02 PM
My hair is definately on the very extreme end of baby fine. To the point that if I'm wearing it down, all the hairs around my hair line will float on air currents (not kidding) along with other strands around my crown. People always think I've just touched a light socket. I can brush it out carefully but just a few turns of my head or a slight breeze and I suddenly have tangles again! Does anyone else have this issue?

I don't think I really grow human hair. I suspect I grow the gravity defying stuff they make to put on Muppets (I've in fact nicknamed my hair "Muppet Hair"). All I need to do is dye it some bright colors.

Yep, I've got the weightless floating hair, too. At least the length weighs it down a bit now!

ladyships
May 6th, 2010, 11:01 PM

yeah...my hair’s a weathervane even when it’s pulled up in bun [which is most of the time, because otherwise it just goes everywhere].

dropinthebucket
May 7th, 2010, 07:23 AM
LOL, tyrant1100!! add some humidity to that and - zappo! :)

jivete
May 7th, 2010, 10:18 AM
I definitely have the tangles issue. My hair isn't super floaty anymore, unless I over wash it.

rags
May 7th, 2010, 12:28 PM

Oh yes! This is me. And it tangles so easily! Mine is still between APL and BSL though, so give me a little breeze and a lot of my hairs will go up - not just the ones around my hairline!

FrannyG
May 7th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Another baby fine haired LHCer here! My hair has stopped being so floaty since I've been COing. And regular small trims help keep me tangle-free.

Like many of you, I spent years with hot rollers, perms, curling irons--you name it--trying to get more volume. It's only been since after I turned forty that I just accepted my hair the way it is. What a relief!

merseaone, your reverse roll bun is lovely!

There are a lot of photos of my hairstyles in my photo gallery here and on my website (link below).

TessieAnn
May 8th, 2010, 02:16 AM
Baby fine hair here. I'm dreading the day hair gets poufy again, a'la the Eighties. Simply can't go there.

Cupofmilk
May 8th, 2010, 02:52 AM
I have lots of very fine hair. I don't think I can upload pics but I will see if I can get one in my sig when my hair was waist length.
I thin kthe only reason I could grow my hair to the point where I was sitting on it - was the fact I always wear it up in a plait 24 hours a day and 363 days a year. The other days I make an exception.
Now I have my hair chopped short - it is probably BSL - it looks much thicker.

Liss
May 8th, 2010, 05:25 AM
My hair is fine and thin. It started thickening up at the end of winter, but now the Spring time shedding is in full force, so I'm back down to less than 2" circumference.

I used to fluff it out while drying to make it look thicker, but it's too time consuming. Then I longed for a perm to give it some body, but that didn't hold at all. I tried lightening it to give it more depth, but natural options didn't work and chemicals just dried it out.

Now I'm just learning to accept that it is how it is and make it look as good as it can, as long as it can.