PDA

View Full Version : what if...

sayshell
May 5th, 2010, 12:04 AM
if the majority of people had long hair would you all cut your hair short? I think individuality is one of the main reasons for extreme length which is probably why people started having shorter hair in society. Now I guess its strange to have really long hair. Extreme things get attention, but if everyone is extreme then nothing happens.

DragonLady
May 5th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Not me. If the majority of the people had long hair, I'd be happy for them. :)

Gumball
May 5th, 2010, 12:16 AM
My hair is my personal preference, and really it's the aesthetic that I enjoy for myself. It really doesn't have much pertinence to how others wear their hair. That's their business after all. :)

Cholera
May 5th, 2010, 12:18 AM
I think I would. Back when I was in middle school, all the girls had long hair, and I had mine short. I don't think it was a cause-and-effect kind of thing back then.. but thinking back on it I like that I was different than everyone else. It's the same thing now that most women have shorter hair. It's not different anymore, so you just blend in. Not that it's necessarily bad, but I just don't see the appeal of fitting in. ;)

Oskimosa
May 5th, 2010, 12:25 AM
Some of our members are from areas where long hair really is the norm :flower:

And no, if long hair was the norm, I'd just dye it lime green or neon blue to be even "different-er." Short hair makes my face look like a bowling ball.

Night_Kitten
May 5th, 2010, 12:28 AM
I don't think I would cut mine.
Where I live waist length is quite common, and even hip length is not very uncommon, and I almost never wear it down so no-one notices really...

ravenreed
May 5th, 2010, 12:30 AM
I have two acquaintances with hair longer than mine and friend who just caught up to me, so I don't feel that unusual. Back in high school I had very short hair, shorter than anyone else. I don't pay much attention to what others do, to be honest.

Masara
May 5th, 2010, 12:40 AM
It's true that I enjoy being just a little bit different and I had short hair at an age when most of my friends had theirs longer.
Longer hair isn't particularly unusual where I live, even if it's less common for women my age. So it's not really my longer hair that gives me my "differentness", more my updos.

I think if everybody around me had long hair, I'd just keep varying my updos and hair toys

Melisande
May 5th, 2010, 01:13 AM
I don't care how others wear their hair, and it doesn't influence me one way or the other. I like my hair long and had it long most of my life, and I lived in many different places where longhair population was more or less visible. It didn't influence me. I'm lazy and don't like to style my hair and go have it cut etc...

manderly
May 5th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Nope, cuz I was the dork with the short hair before it was "cool" and everyone else had long hair.

I look better with long hair than I do with short hair. Think "pinhead". ;)

Besides that, MOST women in Hawaii do have long hair, so I'm by no means an anomaly here.

kelly-j
May 5th, 2010, 01:35 AM
I wouldn´t. I dont´t grow my hair long because the majority has shorter hair.
I love long hair no matter what.

IcarusBride
May 5th, 2010, 01:39 AM
Up to waist length is normal in my area. Of course there are many with shorter hair, but I think that females with shorter than chin-length hair get a lot of negative attention.

Answering your question, though, nope I wouldn't want short hair even if everyone had super-long hair. To me part of the appeal of long hair does have to do with its rarity, but I'd still want long hair even if it was common.

Natalia
May 5th, 2010, 01:52 AM
No my hair is for me, i enjoy caring for it and all the thingsi can do with it. I really think short hair would bore me after about 4 - 7 days thats why i just buy wigs :)

2peasinapod
May 5th, 2010, 02:33 AM
LOL, part of the inspiration for me to grow out my hair was seeing other people's beautiful long hair!

Purdy Bear
May 5th, 2010, 02:37 AM
Nope I wouldnt cut it.

share801
May 5th, 2010, 02:56 AM
If I only knew more people IRL with long hair I would be thrilled!

Pierre
May 5th, 2010, 04:30 AM
If everyone had long hair, there would still probably be few who wear my usual updo. But I didn't pick that updo to be different, I picked it for the stim value (I like stroking my face with my soft ends).

growing2shine
May 5th, 2010, 04:41 AM
I would stil have long hair but I would try out som cool dye patterns. It sounds wired but I have seen some cool ones. Like horisontal stribes in black or something striking like that. I actually think I wanna try something like it.
And by the way I just look better with long hair:D

Nae
May 5th, 2010, 05:17 AM
I don't really want to be "different" so much as have the option to do my hair many different ways. I don't like short hair, being trapped in one or two styles. If everyone had long hair I would think to myself. "It is about time they came to their senses.":eyebrows:

Carolyn
May 5th, 2010, 06:19 AM
No because I like long hair and I don't like short. Simple as that.

Loreley
May 5th, 2010, 06:27 AM
If almost everyone had really long hair (for example TBL or longer) I think I'd cut it. I've never liked looking like everyone else. :D

Pixna
May 5th, 2010, 06:59 AM
No. I have long hair because *I* like it -- it has nothing to do with anyone else or how they wear their hair. While I like being "different," I'm "different" just because I'm me.

Angela_Rose
May 5th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Nope. I keep my hair long because I want it long, not because it goes against current societal norms. I'm probably a poor example, though; fashion and trends have yet to turn my head one way or the other.

Tegaladwen
May 5th, 2010, 08:33 AM
I'd keep my hair long. When I cut my hair short I always end up letting it grow long anyway as I couldn't be bothered to get it cut back again. I feel like long hair suits my face shape better too as it's quite round. I'm pulling more away from what everyone else does. Fashions change too much.

Peter
May 5th, 2010, 10:48 AM
That's a tough question... I'm not sure. If I had to guess, I think I'd either cut it short again or grow even longer.

spidermom
May 5th, 2010, 10:56 AM
No. I don't have long hair to be different.

xoxophelia
May 5th, 2010, 11:07 AM
If everybody else had long hair and I was the unusual one with short hair, I would just feel jealous of everybody else!

Rivanariko
May 5th, 2010, 11:37 AM
I've always had long hair, so I don't think so. I honestly never noticed how many people had short hair until I joined LHC. I notice when people have really long hair (TB or longer), but never payed attention to anything else. I do now, because it's been brought to my attention on these boards, but still, it doesn't bother me. I get excited when I see other long-hairs.

It's not about being different to me at all. I've never put that much effort into being different, I figure who I am makes me enough of an individual without having to outwardly declare it to the world.

Plus, there is no way I'd put up with how frequently you have to get your hair trimmed and styled by someone else if you have short hair! No thank you! I'll cut my own hair when it starts to look ragged, thank you very much, no one else needs to touch it.

Calaelen
May 5th, 2010, 11:38 AM
There is no way I'd cut my hair. It is such a pleasure to me, and I do it for me only. My husband loves my hair and would be so sad if I cut, but even his opinion doesn't really sway me. I don't know anyone with hair longer than mine, but I don't grow to be different. (Although I do love how people react to my hair)

Firegarnet
May 5th, 2010, 11:39 AM
I did that once--seemed like everyone around me had long hair so I cut my mine to my chin. Very different from those around me. At first I loved it! But then, after the thrill of "oh, new thing" wore off I discovered I hated it. I could not get it out of my way. So it was either go shorter or longer. I didn't like frequent hair cuts. So I tried for longer. And found I loved longer hair.

So for me, I'd keep it long regardless of what anyone else did.:eyebrows:

ArienEllariel
May 5th, 2010, 11:44 AM
I might be a little sad but I would still have long hair because I like it that way. Besides, if all people had long hair but still followed the current trends of bleaching and dyeing all the time, it wouldn't look very nice or stay long for long... So I'd be one of the few people with healthy long hair. :)

ButterCream
May 5th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I did feel sometimes when I was younger that I felt obligated to look the same as all the others. But now? I don`t care, I just want to look like...ME!

And I am doing something that I have never done before, and that is growing my hair as long as it possibly will grow.

It isn`t very common in my area to see people with waist long hair, so if I ever reach that long (hopefully), I will stand out. But that is not why I do it. I just want to do what I want to do with my hair and try have fun along the way.

getoffmyskittle
May 5th, 2010, 12:03 PM
No, my hair isn't long because of anything to do with other people!

Nastasia
May 5th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Long hair suits me. I've had it since childhood, and I wouldn't change it for the sake of being different. Long hair isn't all that uncommon in my area, anyway.

Sunny_side_up
May 5th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I'm growing my hair for me, i havn't had it a good length in years, noticing the progress and sharing it is enjoyable, also other people progress is encouraging and inspiring:cheese: Helping me on my journey:D

Happy growing:hollie:

RoseRedDead
May 5th, 2010, 01:57 PM
I'd still have it long. I'm growin' for me, baby!

RenaBanana
May 5th, 2010, 02:15 PM
I've never been one for following the fashion trends around me...so no, I just do whatever I think looks best on me. :D

sweet*things
May 5th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I don't care about other people. I wear my hair long because it is more convenient, more comfortable, less expensive, and suits me better.

mintyhot
May 5th, 2010, 03:21 PM
personally, how others choose to have their hair is their business. I do LOVE long hair, but on the other hand i wouldn't want to be exactly the same as every one so maybe i would cut my hair short... If i was going to cut it short it though i would make sure it was really short :)

Arctic_Mama
May 5th, 2010, 04:51 PM
While I enjoy the originality of long hair worn these days, I certainly don't grow it for that purpose - its just a nice side effect. If I was doing it for attention I'd pick a more obvious change, like heavy body modification, than hair that I keep up all but a handful of days a year! That's just silly...

I look 'wrong' in anything but long hair, and with my thickness (even inexplicably thinned, as it is right now) I cannot do most styles I love until at least tailbone length. So for me, length enables me to enjoy my hair more.

Capybara
May 5th, 2010, 04:54 PM
I don't think I would cut my hair short. I don't have it long to be different, I have it long because I like it :)

IndigoAsh
May 5th, 2010, 06:13 PM
I wouldn't cut my hair in a million years. For me personally it's just about me wanting to have long hair cause it's pretty. I had short hair for most of my life and it's currently the longest I've ever had it and I wish I'd never listened to my mom and cut it so short.

Kelli Kat
May 5th, 2010, 06:18 PM
No, I wouldn't cut. Most of the people around me have long so its already the norm for me.

Meagan
May 5th, 2010, 06:49 PM
if the majority of people had long hair would you all cut your hair short? I think individuality is one of the main reasons for extreme length which is probably why people started having shorter hair in society. Now I guess its strange to have really long hair. Extreme things get attention, but if everyone is extreme then nothing happens.

I wouldnt cutt my hair short no matter what, long suits me better, short hair does nothing for me. So I dont care if everyone decided to grow there hair.

Long hair doesnt show individuality.

LunarAurora
May 5th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Maybe. Or I will dye it in unusual colors or make unusual hairdos...

mrs carol
May 5th, 2010, 06:56 PM
I like my hair long so it doesn't matter to me what others do.

Alun
May 5th, 2010, 07:05 PM
No. It does have certain meanings to me, but if people grow theirs out for other reasons that's fine with me. It would make life easier in some ways if long hair was the norm. In fact, at times it has been, but it never lasted. If you live long enough you will see long hair come and go on other people. To me, that is no reason to cut mine short.

Flynn
May 5th, 2010, 07:32 PM
It is not the reason why I have long hair -- long hair isn't unusual at all where I am. I regularly see waist and tailbone length hair on young women my age. If short hair was more unusual, though, I would chop it all off again. The fun of short hair, plus the fun of standing out would make up for the ridiculous cost of maintaining short hair.

Lixie
May 5th, 2010, 07:55 PM
I don't think so. I ended up with long hair due to its convenience rather than a desire to stand out. I suppose it's possible I would think differently if long hair were the norm, though. Interesting question.

Yozhik
May 5th, 2010, 08:08 PM
I know this sounds a little corny, but I'm really enjoying the process of growing my hair -- it's all in the journey ;)

Seriously, I like growing my hair long because it's an endeavor -- one that takes patience and time and (hopefully) saves money (without hair salons, expensive shampoos, flat irons, etc). Also, it doesn't hurt that I am learning to love my longer hair :)

ETA: I don't think that a lot of people would have the patience to grow their hair really long without damaging it, especially with the norms of fashion as they are now (at least in the US). So unless something changes, I doubt that this hypothetical theory could ever be really effectively tested :flower:

LoversLullaby
May 5th, 2010, 08:20 PM
No, I wouldn't cut my hair to be shorter. I love long hair so much, the way it looks, all the things you can do with it, and taking care of it. It's not about standing out of the crowd for me, it's about loving my hair!

Khiwanean
May 5th, 2010, 08:22 PM
It wouldn't make a difference to me. I grew my hair long because I liked it long, not for any attention it gives me. It's not even too abnormally long for where I live yet. It might actually be nice to have more long haired people around: more people to talk hair stuff with!

ibleedlipstick
May 5th, 2010, 09:08 PM
It wouldn't make a difference for me... I would probably appreciate it actually. I get (or used to get, back when it was long) a lot of assumptions made based on my hair, such as religion (I must be Wiccan/Christian) or I'm doing it for a partner, or I'm really into nature and natural health. If there was a higher percentage of long hairs in my area, I'm sure this effect would be lessened.

Theobroma
May 6th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Nope, I definitely wouldn't. I don't want mine long to be different from everyone else, and I wouldn't suddenly want it short if everyone started growing theirs long. I want long hair because that's my mental image of myself, and because long hair is much less bother than short!

BunnyBee
May 6th, 2010, 12:14 PM
I look silly with short hair. Makes my face look fat lol
Besides, I'd have to find something other than hairtoys to become obsessed with.

wendyg
May 7th, 2010, 06:39 AM
I had long hair in the 1970s when it was very common. Stuff goes in and out of fashion; if you stick with what you like so do you.

wg

PadmeAmidala
May 7th, 2010, 08:33 AM
No, I'd never cut it.

If everyone around me had long hair, I'd just be happy to have something nice to look at.

I like my hair long, and I think you can do so many things with long hair (braiding, updos...) that can still make you look individual.

But then, I don't have to look individual by any price.

jera
May 7th, 2010, 08:54 AM
No, I wouldn't cut my hair to be shorter. I love long hair so much, the way it looks, all the things you can do with it, and taking care of it. It's not about standing out of the crowd for me, it's about loving my hair!

Ditto. :)

I don't wear my hair long to be different from everybody else. I keep it long because it pleases ME.

AmericanWoman
May 7th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Nope. How others wear their hair has nothing to do with how I wear mine. I've always prefered my hair long, just never had it beyond APL. Now that it's hip length, I won't cut it above waist. it's been as short as a pixie, but I always grew it right back long again.

Henrietta
May 9th, 2010, 12:56 PM
I wouldn't cut my hair. Individuality isn't the first reason why I grow my hair long. It's... the fifth reason I think:D
And I agree with the statement that nowadays majority of people think that long hair is weird thing. I published on my photoblog a photoshopped picture with my goal lenght which is TBL. My friends are shocked and they are laughing. Not always with positive meaning. I don't care of course.

Daioki
May 9th, 2010, 02:07 PM
If the majority of people had waist-length hair(which I consider to be long) I'd just grow mine to knee length. I like having longer hair than other people, but I also just like having long hair. So no, I don't think I would cut it.

Beets
May 9th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Yea, I'm another one for "Eh, so what." I just happen to like *my* hair long.

I think the popular-rebel-popular pendulum is funny. I really believe we all just pass around the same ideas over and over again, tweaked slightly for new circumstances. It's freeing, really--the pressure is off to do something totally different or unique, and one doesn't have to feel weird about copying a style that one likes.

florenonite
May 9th, 2010, 02:56 PM
I'd keep it. I don't choose my hair length to go against the norm; indeed BSL-waist is quite common here amongst my age group, and longer than waist my hair isn't very manageable.

Noctifer
May 9th, 2010, 02:58 PM
I would keep it, after al i have long hair because i like it better then the shorter hairstyles.

Sammich
May 9th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Ooh, I'd love to have it at classic or thigh length just for a super long braid! *Sighh* @_@

So, all in all. I wouldn't care. ;) Longer hair is generally more fun in my opinion.

JamieLeigh
May 9th, 2010, 03:16 PM
I would not cut my hair short. My reasons for growing long have nothing to do with others' perception of me - it is because I love the way it looks and feels on me.

Besides, I wear my hair up 100% of the time when I'm out of the house, or have since January anyway. So nobody really knows how long it is unless they have seen me at home or on the internet. ;)

ericthegreat
May 9th, 2010, 03:30 PM
I agree with the majority here. I don't care about being "different" or about fitting in with general society. I didn't grow my hair out long to get a reaction out of other people. I grew my hair out simply because I've always loved long hair and found it to be very attractive, and in my heart I just never bought into the societal norm that long hair was only for the female gender.
I simply love long hair, pure and simple. :)

I honestly couldn't care less if tomorrow the next beauty trend was for men to have classic length hair, that definitely wouldn't cause me to suddenly want to cut my hair very short to then be "different".

FrannyG
May 9th, 2010, 03:34 PM
I wouldn't care what everyone else is doing. I would still want to grow my hair as long as it will grow. I don't care about my hair being the longest, or the shortest, or about being different. I just like the way I feel now that I'm growing out my hair and accepting my own hair type.

Twil
May 9th, 2010, 03:36 PM
My hair was always long until I sliced it off because of damage. I enjoy the low maintence of long hair, so no, I'd never cut it to be counter-culture.