PDA

View Full Version : Long hair UNDER a wig?

kyashi
May 7th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Hello all,

I'm relatively new here and keep forgetting to get back here to read (unfortunate luck with the forums being down whenever I checked back), and then with a tendency to spend hours here reading... so forgive me if this has been asked before and I missed it!

I'm going to have to wear a wig for a costume next month. My hair is down to my waist, and relatively thick (ponytail is about 4.5 inches around). I don't have any experience wearing wigs, and I'm perplexed as to how to fit all my hair under one!
Do any of you have any tips/tricks/updos that worked successfully under a wig?

On another thread I saw someone suggested looking some videos up on youtube on how to wear a wig; the one I found that had to do with long hair recommended to just braid it out of the shower and stuff it under the cap... but I have a LOT of hair and I'm doubtful it'd be that easy.
Any suggestions appreciated! :)

spidermom
May 7th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Try wrapping/pinning the braids around your head first (kind of like my avatar picture).

angelthadiva
May 7th, 2008, 04:42 PM
I have TBL length hair; and have worn wigs (although not recently)...I did a tight, thinly sectioned french braid down the entire length; then coiled the length around my head and pinned with bobby pins.

The wig I chose was super close to the color I have my hair and everyone thought I had done a major chop; and I even had people who I knew walk right past me w/o recognizing me...

For those who may ask why a wig?! Well for me, I like to switch things up and try different styles, but occasionally I'd have those days where I'd be like "Ugh, I just want to chop it off!" and for those days I'd dig out the wig! :D I'd have the look and feel of shorter hair; while having my true length all tucked away from prying eyes...I loved that wig, too bad DH confessed that he hated it, so I ended up giving it away.

I admit, you've gotten me to thinking...I might be going wig hunting! :D

doodlesmart
May 7th, 2008, 04:46 PM
I have not, but my roommate from undergrad used to have ~classic length THICK hair and she wore wigs a bunch for Cos Play stuff. Her secret was pantyhose. She would make a bald cap out of them and shove all the hair in somewhat unceremoniously. It seemed to work though.

spidermom
May 7th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I bought a couple of wigs when I was growing out my hair because they were l o n g at the time. Now they're shorter than my own hair. hahaha I was just thinking I ought to dig them out and play with them. One is red, the other black, both with bangs. I could be 3 different people.

jojo
May 7th, 2008, 06:08 PM
you cut cut the leg off a pair of tights (panty hose) and use it as a cap to contain your hair, hey you could do a deep oil whilst wearing it!

mira-chan
May 7th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I wear wigs for cosplay. I've actually been meaning to put up a picture instruction in my journal of how to do this, as I have the pictures. A~~ah, laziness...

I don't braid may hair as that tends to produce painful lumps (experience in this one, ouch.) I wrap my loose hair around my head without twisting then slip a wig cap over that. Stuff any strays under the cap and on goes the wig. I have a 4" polnytail and thigh length hair.

noelgirl
May 8th, 2008, 12:01 AM
I've worn wigs both for acting roles and Halloween costumes; what I usually do is put my hair in a low, flattened bun. I don't have quite as much hair as you do, though; it's just past BSL and 3.7" to 4" circumference (depending on bangs vs. no bangs).

n3m3sis42
May 8th, 2008, 05:06 AM
You can actually buy "wig caps" which are meant to be worn under a wig. Not only do they hold your hair in place to an extent, but they protect the wig from your hair's natural oils. We used to have a wig place here called Fifi Mahoney's that had seriously awesome wigs, and the couple of times that I bought a wig there, they gave me the wig cap for free. :)

They're sort of the same material as panty hose, though, so I think doodlesmart and jojo have the right idea about using the leg from a pair of pantyhose.

Anje
May 8th, 2008, 07:39 AM
I'm thinking something like hair wrapping (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDOPWlDylV4) (basically, spiraling your hair around your head -- usually used to straighten hair) would give you the least amount of bulk and lumpy-ness under a wig. Maybe top it off with a wig cap, skull cap, or pantyhose just to hold the whole mess down.

Magdalene
May 8th, 2008, 07:54 AM
I have a couple of different methods, depending on the wig. (You are likely to add some extra volume, so figure out where it will upset the lines of the wig the least.)

My favorite method is two French braids- the braids give you more grip with your pins. The tails you either wrap around your head as flatly as possible, or you can coil it at the nape- this is where you want to take the shape of your head into account. Snaking or wrapping also works, but seems to take alot more pins.

I do not recommend pin-curls for super-long hair- it will give you mushroom head if you have alot of volume.

Next comes the wig cap- you can find pinless caps at wig and beauty supply stores. I learned with the oldfashioned kind that you put on with hairpins (you will also need hairpins with pantyhose, which works just fine.) THEN the wig- I like to use a couple of those jumbo wig pins at the temples (a couple of bobby pins X'd underneath gives you a good anchor)
and then bobby pins around the perimeter.

I'm using a different method for my current production- I made holes in the netting of the wig and am actually pulling my hair thru it. I'm not using a wig cap for this one- instead, I'm using one of those stretchy combs to hold my wispies up- the added bonus is it helps anchor the wig.

Dirty hair or wet hair is easier to get under a wig because it tends to lie flatter. If you have a really good quality wig there will be a lace front you spirit gum to your forehead.

Hope that helps!

ColoradoDreamer
May 8th, 2008, 10:15 AM
I've not attempted to wear a wig with my hair longer than about chin-length, and I didn't have good success.

My head is larger than the "average bear," and I have trouble finding hats, wigs, or other head-gear that will fit me.

I tried stuffing my hair under one of those "cap" things that wig shops sell. They are supposed to help the wig stay anchored. Yeah, right. They might work if you don't have a big old mush-melon head like I do! I also tried using some pins specially made to help anchor wigs and pinned the wig to my hair. The wig still slipped and gave me a whanging headache from the pins pulling my hair.

The only time I felt that I could wear a wig comfortably was when I was bald from chemo. When my hair started to grow back in - even at a quarter of an inch - the wig slid all over my head.

As much as I would like to play "dress up" and wear a wig occasionally or for those days I just don't want to do anything with my hair, I can't. For me, it's like trying to wear a live critter on my head. :shrug:

Sorry, I'm not of much help here. I do love my two wigs - they are beautiful. I just can't wear them unless I'm bald. :p

Liluri
May 8th, 2008, 06:55 PM
I've seen people with really long and thick hair put their hair into a pantihose, one leg cut off, in a really close to skin colour, then just run a loose ponytail down the back of their neck and along their back. This loses all the bulk from the scalp, though You'd not want a really short wig or a tight top as it would be obvious. I haven't tried this but I want to.

kyashi
May 9th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Thanks for all the comments!

Seems like I'll be sacrificing a pair of pantyhose sometime soon!

angelthadiva - haha! I keep telling people one of these days I'm just going to show up with short hair; I'm waiting to see how long my hair will get before it gets gross from damage/I can't stand it anymore/it stops growing, whichever comes first, and then get a chop and start over again. :) But if I can get this wig thing figured out, that'd be hilarious!

mira-chan - you should post pictures if you have them! I always find pictures helpful.

Anje - she makes that look really easy in that video, her hair just seems to stay there! That seems to be what mira-chan was talking about as well. I'll have to try it! (Without the saran wrap... I'll be warm enough as it is!)

Magdalene - I'll try the two french braids. I know I can do one, but I haven't tried doing two yet. I have bobby pins, but what are 'jumbo wig pins'? ^^; I'll be getting the wig this weekend from a friend who is styling it, although I'm fairly sure it's not the absolute greatest quality out there (kinda out of my price range). ^^

Coloradodreamer - I'm actually a little worried about having a big head as well! I don't usually wear hats and such, and they actually did stuff me into a wig once before when my hair was about half as long as it is now, and I had a horrible headache and it was terribly uncomfortable. My friend who is styling the wig says it will be fine... but she's not the one with the headache! LoL. Another suggested cornrows... which I definitely do NOT want to do!
I think if I were bald I'd have lots of fun with wigs... but chemo's a helluva way to do it! I'm glad you don't have to wear your wigs anymore!

Liluri - I may have to try that, if the wig is long enough/thick enough. Otherwise it might look really silly!

Thank you all for the suggestions! I guess I'll try different things and then let you know what works out for me.

Islandgrrl
May 9th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I bought a couple of wigs when I was growing out my hair because they were l o n g at the time. Now they're shorter than my own hair. hahaha I was just thinking I ought to dig them out and play with them. One is red, the other black, both with bangs. I could be 3 different people.

Now that sounds like good fun. Thinking I should experiment with wigs a little just for a laugh....

I think that the wrapped braid suggestion would work pretty well to get your hair out of the way, by the way...

Anje
May 9th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Anje - she makes that look really easy in that video, her hair just seems to stay there! That seems to be what mira-chan was talking about as well. I'll have to try it! (Without the saran wrap... I'll be warm enough as it is!)
Yeah, I'd skip the wrap and the sprays. I was mostly trying to give an idea of the technique of wrapping your hair around. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure African-type hair like hers, once it's relaxed, still doesn't behave like the straightish hair it resembles, and it sure looks like it holds styles better than mine does. Anyone with more experience with such things is welcome to correct me.

mira-chan
May 9th, 2008, 07:15 PM
mira-chan - you should post pictures if you have them! I always find pictures helpful.

I did post it, in my blog, if anyone who can access it wants to see is welcome to. My blog access if friends only and I require the standard 100 posts/60 days, sorry kyashi but maybe when you have 100 posts? :flower: