PDA

View Full Version : Support Needed

SlightlySoprano
May 4th, 2010, 11:32 PM
So... I hope I don't make anybody too upset, but I cut my hair. I cut it REALLY short. (really short for me = nape of the neck)

The reason I chose to do it is because I've been struggling with health issues that have caused most of my hair to fall out (I'm 21 years old, with very very very little hair). The actual medical diagnosis is yet to be determined. Possibly hyperthyroid, possibly girly problems...possibly worse... I hope not.

The longer it got, the worse it looked and it was really taking a toll on my mental/emotional health to see my hair in such a state.:(

Now that is it short, it appears to be fuller (although obviously it is not).

I hope you all can understand, I really need support right now. Losing your hair is so hard, especially at a young age.

I want to stay with LHC if that is OK with everybody (and mods) albeit my now-short hair. I will probably be maintaining this length for a little while.

I love you guys and I feel like we're a big family, and right now, I need all the love I can get.

I will have long hair one day. I'm committed to that. Now is just not my time.

*sigh* I'm so sad about this, but my hair looks SO much healthier now... I'm looking forward to the day when it can look this healthy at waist length.

Loreley
May 4th, 2010, 11:42 PM
:grouphug: I'm sorry to hear you have problems with your health. I hope it's not serious.

Oskimosa
May 4th, 2010, 11:45 PM
First of all, :grouphug: for your situation. I sincerely hope things get better for you.

Second, please don't feel alone in this; you are not the only member who has had to start over due to medical issues or hair thinning issues. It's just a setback on your journey. "Long" is different for everyone, and your goal is healthy hair, so this is what you had to do to get there. No one can be mad at you for what you rightfully needed to do!

Third, you are welcome to stay as long as you wish, although I'm not a mod, I've never seen anyone banned because they started over on their journey and I doubt I ever will.

countryhopper
May 4th, 2010, 11:53 PM
So sorry to hear about your health problems. :( I hope that you find out what it is soon so you can start treatment asap.

I think being a longhair is more an awareness than physically having long hair. It's more about how you treat your hair than it's actually length. How many of us are starting from short or even bald? But many of us are even more aware of our hair than those with long, battered, abused, broken, fried tresses.

I hope you stick around!!

little_cherry
May 5th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Lots of hugs to you...I truly hope it all gets better for you!

pennyroyal
May 5th, 2010, 12:29 AM
i hope you get better quickly! :)

Night_Kitten
May 5th, 2010, 12:39 AM
I hope it's not something serious and you get better soon :grouphug:

Masara
May 5th, 2010, 12:44 AM
I hope they can find the cause quickly and that it's something that can be treated easily.

You may have short hair at the moment, but you still want and appreciate long hair and it's still your goal at some point in time.

LILBERT
May 5th, 2010, 01:35 AM
SlightlySoprano, you are so totally welcome! Regardless of your hair length, i know members here who maintain at chin length and are still very much loved and valued members! :grouphug: Dont ever feel like you dont belong here! Were here for hugs and support, all the best with your medical issues.

BritishBraider
May 5th, 2010, 01:49 AM
We love you here sweety! Tis just a minor setback, 'hair is in the eye of the beholder' or something similar, big uber hugs to you!

Natalia
May 5th, 2010, 02:08 AM
So... I hope I don't make anybody too upset, but I cut my hair. I cut it REALLY short. (really short for me = nape of the neck)

The reason I chose to do it is because I've been struggling with health issues that have caused most of my hair to fall out (I'm 21 years old, with very very very little hair). The actual medical diagnosis is yet to be determined. Possibly hyperthyroid, possibly girly problems...possibly worse... I hope not.

The longer it got, the worse it looked and it was really taking a toll on my mental/emotional health to see my hair in such a state.:(

I hope you all can understand, I really need support right now. Losing your hair is so hard, especially at a young age.

I want to stay with LHC if that is OK with everybody (and mods) albeit my now-short hair. I will probably be maintaining this length for a little while.

I love you guys and I feel like we're a big family, and right now, I need all the love I can get.

*sigh* I'm so sad about this, but my hair looks SO much healthier now... I'm looking forward to the day when it can look this healthy at waist length.

You did what was right for you and thats all that matters :grouphug: . Were about the same age and Ive been there my health took a really bad turn and i lost about a third of my hair a while back and i considered cutting. I decided it wasnt what would make me happy, you did what made you happy and being happy with yourself is much better for you than the alternative especially when your struggling with other issues.

I hope you can find out whats wrong soon and get things back on track. But int he mean time i really hope you stick around :)! If your ever feeling down please fele free to swing my my profile and leave a message. Its hard to have your body quitting on you so young, please take care and do what you need to do.

Natalia :flowers:

Purdy Bear
May 5th, 2010, 02:19 AM
Oh big hugs to you hon! I know exactly what you are going through. Iv had Alopecia for about 30 years.

The hair I did have I shaved off even my scalp hair, as it felt so messy and scraggily, so I totally understand you cutting it short.

The most important thing now, is for you to get your correct diagnosis, so keep the pressure on with the Doctors and Consultants if you can. Ensure you get the blood test you need (Ferritin, Iron, other deficiencies, allergies, thyroid, etc).

There is a fare bit the medical profession can do but there is even more in the alternative remedies and therapy route. Infact Iv found using this method I am regaining some hair, I still have a lot of things to try so hopefully I will get all my hair back.

I have found the LHC more supportive then those on the Alopecia boards, infact the LHC are more knowledgeable. They are a truely magnificent bunch here and thats without the cheese!

My goal is Tail Bone length, and I am determind to get there, it might just take me a while.

Dreams_in_Pink
May 5th, 2010, 02:29 AM
Aw, of course you still belong here! Don't worry about your hair right now and concentrate on well-being. If you lost hair due to a problem, it will certainly grow back after you get over the problem :) it's never late to start growing again. Lots of love and hugs from me to you :grouphug:

Flynn
May 5th, 2010, 02:33 AM
Everyone still puts up with Pegs, and she's definitely a shorthair now!

;p

Big hugs, and I really hope things work out fine. Don't let your silly hair worry you too much; it's fun, but not important.

growing2shine
May 5th, 2010, 02:57 AM
I know how you feel. I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and I have to deal with a lot of pain every day. And there is no treatment... Someday I will end up in an electick weel chair and have people wipe my ass! Lovely to blow of some steam. :)
But i'm glad that at least I have all of my hair (and i'm very sad that you don't). But i'm sure that you will get there.
Fight on and happy growing :D

share801
May 5th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Of course you are still welcome! First and foremost, we want you healthy. Lots of people have had setbecks on the long hair journey.

jackiesjottings
May 5th, 2010, 04:22 AM
I think I saw your post on LJ too- I am so so sorry :(( It must be very traumatic.

linda g
May 5th, 2010, 06:27 AM
:grouphug: I hope you find some answers for your health problems soon

hendrix.co
May 5th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Post a picture. I think all lengths of hair is beautiful. I'd love to see your new do!

babybabycat
May 5th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Hugs to you!
Sometimes life challenges us, gives us more than we think we can handle. What you will find is that beautiful hair is certainly attainable for you. Keep trying different paths, until you find the right combinations of things to help you reach your hair and health goals.

Please remain open, your dreams are not sabotaged, every tough situation comes bearing gifts, even the hardest situations offers us a chance to become who we really want to be.
That is the wonder of this website, you keep coming back and you will find solutions to every problem.

Keep posting and putting up pictures, you'll find that you will overcome your challenges. I am sure that you'll find that you are beautiful, inside and out!!!

Mae
May 5th, 2010, 09:07 AM
:grouphug:

We're here for you!

I know how much it stinks to have medical problems at a young age, especially when it involves going from doctor to doctor trying to figure out a diagnosis. ("You don't know what's wrong with me either?! Argh!") I had an experience like that. Even though I wish I could make it so it never happened, it has made me stronger. Plus, you'll discover new things that you may never have found had this not happened. For example, I wouldn't have signed up for LHC had I not been home on medical withdrawal.

I'm sorry it affected your hair, and I wish you a speedy recovery and re-growth. Nape is not so very far from shoulder, which is not so very far from apl, which...etc. :)

Good luck with your health and your hair!

SlightlySoprano
May 5th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Thank you guys so so so so much :o

I want to stay and continue to learn and baby my (remaining) hair and of course admire everybody's hair...

:oI feel so much better, I really hate my hair at this length, but it looks so much healthier and happier...

Going to grow to shoulder and see how it looks there...

ButterCream
May 5th, 2010, 11:28 AM

I have had a hair experience with my hair when I was younger too, SlightlySoprano.

I got very, very sick in my teens (14) and had to go on super strong medications that made me almost bald, but at least it saved my life. Not fun to go through that as a young girl who wanted long hair but had to be happy with short-short see through hair with a shiny scull.

But when I got off the medications and got a bit better, my hair came back! And hopefully yours will be better soon also!

And even you feel you had to cut it now, you can be an inspiration for others that are in a similar situasion than yours and we can follow you and your pathway to longer hair, even though it takes a littlebit longer than you wanted;)

Don`t give up (I know you won`t;)) and one day things hopefully will get better for you. I wish you the best of luck, and hang in there! Once you find out what the problem is, you can start to find things that can make the problem better and you yourself can feel better.

Here`s a happy cheeze dance, it is happy and it is cheeze, what more can we ask for?:cheese:

In case you can`t have cheeze, here are some Skittles...
they are also pretty happy actually, although they don`t move much right now. But they are nom!:skittles::skittles::skittles::skittles:

:flower:

spidermom
May 5th, 2010, 11:30 AM
I am sure I would do the same. I hope your health issues get sorted out very soon so you can get on the road to recovery, then long hair.

Because of being impulsive, I had to wait until my mid-40s, when I acquired some patience, before I could have long hair. You have lots of time.

Rapunzal2Be
May 5th, 2010, 11:38 AM
:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: :grouphug:

Calaelen
May 5th, 2010, 11:55 AM
I'm a new member here, and I just want to say I was very moved by your post. I am having some serious health issues myself, diagnosed with a rare auto immune disease last year, for which there is no specific treatment. They had me on high doses of steroids which made me look like a pasty, oddly shaped lump of dough. Then, when that wasn't considered to be a long term treatment they put me on several different trial drugs, none of which worked.

Now,I am displaying even more symptoms, which appeared to have been an allergic reaction, but which now looks to be an even rarer auto immune disease than the one they thought I had. They think I have Churg Strauss Syndrome now, and the treatment for that is steroids and/or chemotherapy drugs for the rest of my life with breaks in between if I can handle it.

I fear losing my hair as a result and know how devastated I would be. (I am 24 years old)

If you would like to contact me personally for some support, or even just get into a chat here when I figure out how, please let me know.

Take care of yourself and don't lose hope with your hair, if it is indeed hypothyroidism when they get you on the right dose of meds your hair will perk up like you wont believe. :)

SlightlySoprano
May 6th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I told some of the girls in the music department what had happened (crying the whole time) and they were so supportive I really feel a lot better. And I've gotten a ton of compliments about my haircut ("wow your hair look so healthy and shiny! It'll look great once it thickens up and grows out again")

:-) getting better

SlightlySoprano
June 14th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Hey guys I'm back and I figured I'd update you!

My hair is currently about an inch below my collar bone (wow it grew fast!) when it's wet, and sits right at shoulder when its dry/curly.

It seems like even though I have curls, I need to brush my hair. The brush seems to massage my scalp better than I was with my fingers/a comb.

I have doctors appts set up for 6/28 and 6/30 and an endocrinologist for 7/19

I really want to come back and post on the boards here again! I'm feeling much better about the whole situation. I've changed my diet, started working out and just generally trying to be a healthier person

You guys rock, thank you so much for your support <3

I hope to be around the forum more often now that I'm feeling better(emotionally) about my hair!

jane53
June 14th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Great news, SlightlySoprano!!! :cheese::cheese::cheese:

GlassEyes
June 14th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Don't feel like you have to apologize to LHC. People cut their hair all the time here. There are members who have no plans to regrow, actually.

And especially don't apologize if this makes you feel better in a time where you are worried about your health. Hair is a secondary concern to that. I hope you get better soon--and that it's nothing worse than hypothyroid, which still isn't fun.

May
June 14th, 2010, 05:15 PM
So sorry to hear about your health problems. :( I hope that you find out what it is soon so you can start treatment asap.

I think being a longhair is more an awareness than physically having long hair. It's more about how you treat your hair than it's actually length. How many of us are starting from short or even bald? But many of us are even more aware of our hair than those with long, battered, abused, broken, fried tresses.

I hope you stick around!!

I think countryhopper hit the nail on the head in terms of what a 'longhaired' person is really all about. I wish you better health and even though I don't know you very well or at all really I do sincerely mean it. :sun:

Yozhik
June 14th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Wow! Your hair grew fast! I'm glad to hear you're feeling better :)

Best of luck to you and I hope they find out soon what's going on.

urara12
June 14th, 2010, 11:34 PM
{{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}
I hope it' not something serious ,hope you get better soon.

freckles
June 15th, 2010, 01:25 AM
I'm so glad that you're happy with your new growth and feeling better :)

Gypsygirl
June 15th, 2010, 01:43 AM
So glad you're feeling better! :)

KahlanAmnell
June 15th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Glad you are feeling better. :-)

Beesweet
June 16th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Hey guys I'm back and I figured I'd update you!

My hair is currently about an inch below my collar bone (wow it grew fast!) when it's wet, and sits right at shoulder when its dry/curly.

It seems like even though I have curls, I need to brush my hair. The brush seems to massage my scalp better than I was with my fingers/a comb.

I have doctors appts set up for 6/28 and 6/30 and an endocrinologist for 7/19

I really want to come back and post on the boards here again! I'm feeling much better about the whole situation. I've changed my diet, started working out and just generally trying to be a healthier person

You guys rock, thank you so much for your support <3

I hope to be around the forum more often now that I'm feeling better(emotionally) about my hair!

When I first read this thread, I thought, "Aw, poor thing, she had to cut so short."
I thought "nape" was short.
After reading this post, I realized that your hair is longer than mine.

It will grow. Just hang in there.

Check out stopthethyroidmadness.com for thyroid tips, if indeed you need to go the endocrine route. They are the best advocates to top thyroid care that I have found.

Also, if your problems are "girly" like you mentioned in earlier post, you might want to look into a doc who does bioidentical hormones.
I believe that our best balance can only be achieved by non-synthetic means, and balance in your body will hopefully restore hair growth.

It will get better.

SlightlySoprano
June 18th, 2010, 04:44 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/deepd0wninside/Photoon2010-06-18at1840.jpg

Here is what it looks like now... Do you think I can call that Shoulder?

FrannyG
June 18th, 2010, 06:07 PM
I think it's lovely. I really do. And it's much longer than the nape of your neck. I would call that shoulder length. It definitely looks full.

I hope that you get answers to your thinning problem, and that it's nothing terribly serious. Once you get that sorted, you'll be in really good shape for growing again.

Your hair is not short. There are people here who have pixie cuts and your current length is something they're only dreaming of right now.

I can't even believe that it even crossed your mind that you would have to leave LHC. There are so many members who have cut their hair much shorter than yours for various reasons. This place is like a family, and you are a part of it, no matter what the length of your hair. :blossom:

Hugs to you, my dear. I know that this is a hard time for you. Hopefully it will soon be a dim memory. :grouphug:

UltraBella
June 18th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Shoulder length !!!! And it's really pretty ! Your curls are GREAT !!!!

MissMB
June 18th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Well if you do cut it to a pixie type of haircut, personally I think they can be very flattering. The last piece of artwork I did featured a woman with such a haircut. I was pretty happy with it! I'm sorry you've endured some health problems and I hope it improves.

SlightlySoprano
June 18th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Thank you guys so much, your support has meant the world to me. I do think it looks/feels healthier now than a few months ago... I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my doctor can give me some insight about the hair loss...

I'm only 21, I want long hair til I'm 90+!:p

McFearless
June 18th, 2010, 07:37 PM
I hope whatever health problems you have go away soon. I agree your hair looks extremely healthy and bouncy at this length. Take care :)

SlightlySoprano
June 30th, 2010, 05:40 PM
So I got my test results today, all my levels came back normal!

Which is good, but at the same time not so good, because we STILL don't know what caused the major hair loss.

I have a dermatologist appointment two weeks from now, hopefully she can shed some light on the situation...:(

bugeyedmonster2
June 30th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Sending hugs :grouphug:

urara12
June 30th, 2010, 11:22 PM
oh! your hair beautiful and very nice curl:)
I just wanted to say that I'm sorry you have to go through hard time. I am so glad to hear that your blood test
come back normal :)I understand how it's stresfull because recently I had big shedding time by allergic reaction by hair dye and hair care product's. my scalp dosen't show any sign,
so I didn't notice the cause for long time.
I hope your dermatologist figure out what's cause.
hope you get better soon.

Jules diamond
July 1st, 2010, 03:28 AM
There is absolutely no shame in doing what you did. *hugs* Of course you can stay. and I pray for the best for your health.