PDA

View Full Version : Do you change your haircare routine during the summer?

ericthegreat
May 4th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Now that the weather has been getting warmer and warmer and summer is just around the corner, I have switched my haircare routine accordingly.

I'm back to swimming 4 to 5 days a week again at the pool, and when it gets even warmer say by this June, I'll be swimming in the ocean. COing alone I have found is not enough to rinse out the chlorine from my hair, so now about once a week I use my clarifying shampoo to get rid of any buildup I get from swimming. So now, I CO 4 or 5 days a week and once a week I do a CWC, the wash being my clarifying shampoo. I also still soak my hair in coconut oil and leave it in overnight before washing that out in the morning.

Does anyone here also change their care routine /or the products that they use during the summer?

eternallyverdan
May 4th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Have you read the article about protecting your hair for swimming? It's quite informative, and I find it works pretty well.

Personally, I don't change my routine during the summer, but then I really don't change my routine very much at all-- when I find something that works, I stick with it.

TXbarbie
May 5th, 2010, 03:31 AM
My routine doesn't change much, either. I lay out BY the pool more than I actually get IN it :D

The only thing that really changes is that I grow out my bangs - they're too much maintenance at the beach/pool!

growing2shine
May 5th, 2010, 04:32 AM
I'm new here so I haven't really tried that much but I have checked out jojoba oil witch I wanna give a try. It gives a little sun protection.

EtherealOde
May 6th, 2010, 01:53 PM
I wash my hair more often (CO) due to dust and pollen. I have allergies and it is always worse in the Spring/Summer. Especially when camping, so I am in unfiltered air 24 hours a day.

Secondly, I use more leave-in conditioning such as oils and conditioner, and they are all unscented. In Spring/Summer I use no perfumes, scented hair products, or scented clothes washing products. I have severe bee/insect sting allergies and carry an EpiPen in case I am stung. Scented products only serve to attract insects.

The last thing I do is I wear my hair up or braided always, and when outside my hair is covered by something always. A hat, scarf, along with fabric headbands are my constant companions. This is for two reasons. I get a sweaty face when I am hot and my hair sticks to it and itches, so the headband keeps it off my face and the hats provide shade. I also tend to burn badly, because I have very fair skin, so the hats help there too. Now I find that all of this is also protecting my hair from sun damage, so the habits I had to make me more comfortable and protect my skin also serve to protect my hair from the sun and wind.

Meagan
May 6th, 2010, 01:56 PM
I havent really. But I want to buy shampoo and conditioners with sunscreen protection in it.

plainjanegirl
May 6th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I havent really. But I want to buy shampoo and conditioners with sunscreen protection in it.

Me too! I am out in the sun alot with my kids. Really need to find something to wash my hair with or a leave in that has protection from the sun.

BattahZ
May 6th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Yes! I use less product in the summer, since my hair doesn't get as dry. I can usually skip using leave-in entirely and just use my curl custard. Less oils are needed on my ends, too.

Nilithyana
May 6th, 2010, 02:48 PM
I never see to change what I do to my hair. I always rinse with cold water (that is a bit tough in winter!), and double condition my ends. As long as I condition well, my hair usually behaves and stays unsnarled. Of course I rarely swim (even though I would love to).

NuclearMosquito
May 6th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I have been washing my hair more frequently as I am sweating more (this is not just due to summer though, I have also started exercising). I also wear it in a ponytail or up more often, as it is a cooler style. Not had the opportunity to use it yet, but I bought a cute sunhat to wear if I am outside for long periods of time.

spidermom
May 6th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Not really; my routine is pretty much the same all year round. I might wash a bit more often because of getting grubby in the garden.

Burgundyhair
May 6th, 2010, 03:10 PM
I don't deviate from my regular routine all that much. I may co-wash more often if needed, and I'll probably use more gel to keep my curls from frizzing in the humidity. Deep treatments are usually down too.

RoseRedDead
May 6th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I just tend to wash more often. Scalp gets sweatier faster (warmer temps).

GoddesJourney
May 6th, 2010, 07:06 PM
I never really gave much thought to my hair until I came here. I was always just a wash and wear girl even when it was longer. I'll probably continue that way, since I don't care to spend all that much time on my hair care. If it's in my way, I put it up. That's it.

Yozhik
May 6th, 2010, 07:30 PM
I've been thinking about changing my routine, but I haven't figured out how exactly I'm going to go about it :)

First off, I've finally stretched my washings to 3-5 days between shampooing, and I really don't want to sacrifice this for the warm weather. Secondly, I've lately become concerned with sun damage. Last time I had long hair, my ends got terribly bleached and brittle -- I've been considering scarves and more protective hairdos.

Other than that, I haven't thought about not putting as much oil into my hair -- that's a useful tip!

Haven't been on this site long enough to have experienced summer with my LHC-given knowledge, so I'm eager to see how it goes :)

Messyhair
May 6th, 2010, 07:33 PM
I use lighter conditioners in the summer because I can get away with it. They're much cheaper than my winter conditioner, which is Biolage Conditioning Balm. My hair needs heavy moisturizing in the drier winter weather, but it's so expensive! :)

ericthegreat
May 6th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Actually, I'm going to be putting the sun to good use. Besides just getting a tan, I'm hopefully going to get even more natural sun-kissed highlights over the blonde highlights I already have in my hair. :p I'm also now using a new conditioner just for blondes, I'm using John Frieda's Sheer Blonde highlight enhancing conditioner.

pineconejg
May 6th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I haven't ever done anything different before (except maybe get my hair cut so I wouldn't have to learn how to take care of it long). This year I will be doing a lot more protective updos and probably wearing scarves or hats in the sun instead of just my usual ponytail-visor combo.

:)

JG

jennifermarie12
May 6th, 2010, 08:35 PM
I tend to wash my hair a bit more often because my scalp gets sweaty. I don't swim, so I don't worry about chlorine. I try to wear some sort of a hat when I am outside so I avoid damaging my hair.

Rennire
May 6th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I spend more time on my hair in the summer, probably because the sun rises earlier. In the winter I roll out of bed and put my hair in a braid or two but in the summer I'm more likely to take the time to make a pretty updo.

pinchbeck
May 6th, 2010, 10:04 PM
I wash my hair more often (as a couple of other people have already shared). I like to remove the excess moisture on my scalp.

My virgin hair is two toned. The top half is darker than the bottom half. I wear open visors to allow my hair to get sun in hopes that my hair will be come more one-tone. I am not in the sun long enough to damage it ever.