PDA

View Full Version : Have you said goodbye to SLS, Cones and Parabens?

oceanwoman111
May 4th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Hello,

Have you recently given up on these little nasties? What was your result and how long did it take your hair to adjust?

As of Sunday, May 4, 2010, I am finished with the viscious SLS/ Cone cycle. I read a thread here, I will try to find it, that explained it wonderfully. I had an AHA moment.:idea: I gave all of my products containing these ingredients away and purchased the most natural SLS, Cone and Paraben free products that I could find. Mainly, Burt's Bees, EO and Giovanni. I feel like my hair is much softer just after 3 days ,but it's too early to tell.

I'm in this for the long haul. Please let me know your thoughts and experiences. Thanks. :)

spidermom
May 4th, 2010, 04:24 PM
No. I've experimented some; didn't find any personal reason to avoid those particular ingredients. I don't buy into anybody else's alarmist product paranoia. I like cones, and I can use any shampo as long as I dilute it.

LoversLullaby
May 4th, 2010, 04:32 PM
I have a dumb question, what are parabens??

Underlig
May 4th, 2010, 04:34 PM
I don't care about parabens, but I am sulphate and cone free. Except for those pesky times my dye contains some.

Katurday
May 4th, 2010, 04:41 PM
I'm still cone-free but thats only cause cones made my hair look dull and ugly. I was SLS free at some point, but my hair looked worse (not greasy, just easily built up) so I gave that up. I'm gonna stick with diluting.

tokidokichi
May 4th, 2010, 04:41 PM
I have been SLS free for about a month and my hair feels much softer. I still use cones from time to time, but less often. And parabens just don't bug me that much =]

cmnt831
May 4th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Actually, after 5 years of using all natural products, I have had to go back to the "little nasties". :p The only dandruff shampoo that works for me has SLS and cones, though no parabens. My scalp had gotten so irritated with the natural stuff and my hair was a mess because we have hard water and I don't think it was rinsing properly even with ACV rinse. So, my scalp and hair are happier with conventional stuff.

But more power to you for going all natural. :) Wish it had worked out better for me.

goodenough
May 4th, 2010, 04:48 PM
I go back and forth. I like both:)

chopandchange
May 4th, 2010, 05:05 PM
I went cone-free and gave away my products in the way you describe, informing everyone that cones were "bad" and they should give them up.

I later regretted it and very quickly went back to cones. Without them, my hair is virtually impossible to detangle.

Hopefully the same won't happen to you and you won't need to go out and buy new coney products again. ;)

Buddaphlyy
May 4th, 2010, 05:06 PM
I did when I first started my hair journey and my hair rebelled something fierce. Now I use a combo of products and ingredients that I know work for me and my hair couldn't be happier.

In2wishin
May 4th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Without knowing it I have been free of cones and papabens for about 3 years since I started making my own shampoo and conditioner from purchased bases. When I saw this thread I checked the labels and the shampoo does have SLS. I really haven't noticed any negative effects from the SLS but I can say that my hair is in the best shape it has been in many years.

Cholera
May 4th, 2010, 05:25 PM
I'm cone and SLS free. My hair gets super frizzy and gross with cones :/ As for parabens, I don't really care about them. I've read that they're only harmful in high doses, or in things that you leave on yourself for a very long time. So, I don't worry about them in my hair things, as I rinse them off fairly quickly.

freckles
May 4th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I'm still working it out, but so far, my hair very much seems to do better with zero cones and zero parabens. One or the other or both (I haven't narrowed it down yet) seems to make my hair split like mad. My hair doesn't seem to care one way or the other about SLS, but I am usually SLS-free.
I had no adjustment period, my hair was better straight away.

Miasen
May 4th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Just two washes after I went SLS free and I could feel the difference. My constantly itchy scalp was suddenly almost normal! :D So never SLS for me again! Cones, I think my hair might need it, but I'm not sure. Gotta experiment some. And parabenes?`Heck, I don't even know what that is.

sweet*things
May 4th, 2010, 05:52 PM
I went sulphate, cone and paraben free for about five months. I think it took about two weeks (3-4 washes) for my hair to normalize. I had a ton of cone build-up, plus the product switch stripped a large sebum deposit off my scalp and stuck it in my hair.:confused: I had to wash it a few times to get rid of the weird waxy look, but after that issue was resolved everything was great.:D

Unfortunately, over the course of a few months my scalp got itchier and itchier until it was absolutely unbearable. I went back to one of my favorite shampoos and conditioners which do have sulphates and parabens and that solved my itchy problem.

I'm still cone-free, but I alternate the sulphate products with non-sulphate products.

teela1978
May 4th, 2010, 05:58 PM
I've gone cone and sulfate free. I prefer using cones and sulfates though. Never worried too much about parabens.

Cirafly24
May 4th, 2010, 06:04 PM
I tried going cone-free, but my hair was unmanageable and more prone to breakage. I only use sulfates to clarify about once a month, otherwise my normal shampoo is sulfate-free. I prefer not to use parabens, but I don't go out of my way to avoid them.

Fractalsofhair
May 4th, 2010, 06:07 PM
I've only seen parabens in lotions and makeup, never shampoo or conditioner. Could see how they'd be in conditioner, not quite so with shampoo since shampoo, well, it's not a friendly situation for bacteria.

I do not use any of those though, SLS normally comes with fragrance, and dries my hair, cones make my hair break off, and parabens, well, I had a fragrance allergy so I'm used to not using them.

mintyhot
May 4th, 2010, 06:10 PM
i have been cone free for about a year, i hate using sls because it makes me shed a lot! And parabens don't bother me, someone had mentioned that it is only "Toxic" if in high doses so i don't mind that much. And to get oils out of my hair- even though i hate using it- i use dawn and it unfortunately has sls but my hair loves oils so it's the price i have to pay. If anyone knows another way i would be happy to hear it! :)

LadyVictoria
May 4th, 2010, 06:11 PM
I tried going cone-free & it was a disaster, my hair loves cone so I am sticking with them. My hair hates protein so I had to give that up. SLS made my scalp feel horrible so I only use them to clarify, natural shampoos make me itch like crazy & I will be an oily mess the very next day. I have been using the CO method over the past 6 weeks with amazing results & I don't think I'll ever go back!

endtransmission
May 4th, 2010, 06:23 PM
I go back and forth depending how my hair feels that particular day. No parabens though, I'm allergic to them and they practically burn my skin off.

ArienEllariel
May 4th, 2010, 06:32 PM
In general I am sulfate and cone free. I don't really care two straws about parabins. My hair is happy right now with CO washes using mostly Burt's Bees products. I've tried various products with cones in them and have found that my hair doesn't really seem to respond well to them. I don't know if it's because I have fine hair and the products way it down too much or what but all the anitfrizz serums, etc. that had cones in them that I've tried just didn't seem to do anything for my hair and left it looking worse off than if I'd used nothing at all on it. Right now my experience has been that natural products make my hair happier and my hair is longer and healthier than it has ever been in my life. Before going sulfate free and cone free my hair was like straw (and that was without heat styling in general). I couldn't get it to grow beyond shoulder length, it was broken off all over and looked terrible no matter what I did. I guess I'm just extremely sensative to harsh detergents in traditional shampoos. I don't think I'll ever go back to using SLS shampoos (except on occasion if I need to for some reason or another and only when well diluted).

Carolyn
May 4th, 2010, 06:42 PM
No. I've experimented some; didn't find any personal reason to avoid those particular ingredients. I don't buy into anybody else's alarmist product paranoia. I like cones, and I can use any shampo as long as I dilute it.Ditto to this. I use SLS shampoos when I want to, sometimes diluted and sometimes not. When I'm in the mood for cones, I use them. I don't pay any attention to the alarmist stuff I've read about parabens. I don't believe anything is proven. The jury is still out AFAIK. I have no allergies to any of the 3 things mentioned so I see no need to avoid them.

julliams
May 4th, 2010, 06:48 PM
I gave up all three for about 6 months. The positives were that my scalp no longer itched and I got to know my hair as it really is. The negatives were that I started to notice that my hair was splitting at an alarming rate at that stage and I was concerned that my hair was "exposed" by not having it's regular silicone coating so I trimmed and have gone back to silicones in my conditioner and leave-in to see if it makes any difference in the next 6 months.

I've been taking photos of my hair monthly for growth, but it is very plain to see that since I went back to silicones my hair is looking less dry and the curl pattern is actually more pronounced which is unusual I think. So I guess my hair likes cones.

Felix_D
May 4th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Yes, I very suddenly realized that twice-daily shampoos was a problem, not a solution. I committed right away, and within 4 months felt completely normal with CO washes. It was a rough transition, there were some slick-looking days in there. It was worth it. Good luck with the long-haul.

oceanwoman111
May 4th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Thank you all so much for your honest opinions and information. This is why I love LHC so much. :grouphug:. I thought maybe using all natural products would be the magic thing that really works for me. It seems that some members who have gone this route have ventured back into the world of sulphates and cones while other have had great success. I am just so frustrated with the state of my hair, I feel I need to make some drastic changes.

Scratching my slightly itchy, SLS free head while I'm thinking what to write.:lol: Maybe it will work since my hair is fine and gets weighed down so easily by cones. I guess I'll just give it go and see what happens since I went right off the deep end and gave other products away. Thank you again for your help, my friends. :flower:

Anymore information is greatly appreciated.

oceanwoman111
May 4th, 2010, 08:18 PM
In general I am sulfate and cone free. I don't really care two straws about parabins. My hair is happy right now with CO washes using mostly Burt's Bees products. I've tried various products with cones in them and have found that my hair doesn't really seem to respond well to them. I don't know if it's because I have fine hair and the products way it down too much or what but all the anitfrizz serums, etc. that had cones in them that I've tried just didn't seem to do anything for my hair and left it looking worse off than if I'd used nothing at all on it. Right now my experience has been that natural products make my hair happier and my hair is longer and healthier than it has ever been in my life. Before going sulfate free and cone free my hair was like straw (and that was without heat styling in general). .

Hello, we have a very similar hair type. Hoping natural products work for me as well. I was inspired to try this because like you, my hair looks so dried out when I use cones and the ends feel like straw. So far, my hair seems happier ,but I'll have to give it some time to really see results. :)

Oskimosa
May 4th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Alarmist it may be, but theres no way I 100% trust my government or the FDA. That's me. So while I'm not going to avoid these things like the plague, I do try not to buy them. Silicones and parabens break my skin out. When I use them as conditioner, I get BAD bacne since I always have my hair down. Cones are great for detangling, but they make my hair feel like plastic. I haven't used sulfates or cones in a long time, and my hair feels soft and strong on its own, and I love that. But when I move, the water will be different, so I don't know that I won't have to go back to them.

Everyone's different. If your routine isn't working, it may be something to try. I think studies like this help us isolate problems and realize what may be harming us, although it's not something that should cause wide panic.

ArienEllariel
May 4th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Hello, we have a very similar hair type. Hoping natural products work for me as well. I was inspired to try this because like you, my hair looks so dried out when I use cones and the ends feel like straw. So far, my hair seems happier ,but I'll have to give it some time to really see results. :)

I hope this method works for you. :) I've been sulfate and cone free for about 5 months now and like I said before, my hair has never been happier; I've had no problems with using natural products in place of traditional shampoos and conditioners.:disco:

The only thing is that using SLS free shampoos or using the CO method, my hair feels very different when wet than it did when I used sulfates and cones. It's something you have to get used to as there isn't a squeeky clean feeling. When my hair dries though, it looks just as clean as if I had used a sulfate shampoo so what I'm saying is don't be put off natural products based on how your hair feels while its wet.

Natural products FTW (for the win)! :) A light coconut oiling while my hair is still damp does wonders for my length and keeps the ends from feeling dry/crunchy as well (just from the ears down though).

Now that I know what routine works for me, my next challenge is growing out the damaged sections and slowly trimming them off. For the most part I just S & D. I want to wait til BSL to do a real trim if possible.

cardamom
May 4th, 2010, 09:53 PM
I use SLS shampoos and coney conditioners and have no problem with them so far.I get occasional flakes on my scalp which I believe is not due to SLS or cones.I've gone SLS and cone free,but had to revert.Just make sure that your shampoo is well diluted and ideally in a squirt jar for easier application.

LadyVictoria
May 4th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Don't feel bad about jumping off the deep end, I did the same thing. I thought that giving up all the "bad stuff" was the best thing for my fine/thin hair, it turns out that, that was not the case. I can NEVER use cones on my scalp unless I want to look like something that crawled out of a crypt somewhere. I only use my thick coney condish from my armpits down because it's only my ends that really need it. I also don't oil on wash night because for me, I think it's overkill on my poor fine ends.

Just remember that you will have to find a routine that works for you through trial & error. I have gotten some amazing tips from this community, some that have been a life saver & some that ended in disaster, tears & threats with scissors that sent my cats running for the hilld. I had to learn to mix & match to find my perfect hair blend & you will too. Just don't try too many things at once, my most valuable lesson learned was that sometimes less is more. Good luck on your hair journey, it will be one that you will never forget.

LadyVictoria
May 4th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Don't feel bad about jumping off the deep end, I did the same thing. I thought that giving up all the "bad stuff" was the best thing for my fine/thin hair, it turns out that, that was not the case. I can NEVER use cones on my scalp unless I want to look like something that crawled out of a crypt somewhere. I only use my thick coney condish from my armpits down because it's only my ends that really need it. I also don't oil on wash night because for me, I think it's overkill on my poor fine ends.

Just remember that you will have to find a routine that works for you through trial & error. I have gotten some amazing tips from this community, some that have been a life saver & some that ended in disaster, tears & threats with scissors that sent my cats running for the hilld. I had to learn to mix & match to find my perfect hair blend & you will too. Just don't try too many things at once, my most valuable lesson learned was that sometimes less is more. Good luck on your hair journey, it will be one that you will never forget.

Ugh, sorry I didn't mean to post twice. That's what I get to LCHing with my phone :-/

Arctic_Mama
May 4th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Parabens have never bothered me, but the products I use generally don't have them. I use no cones and very limitedly use the sulfates (the products I use just don't have them, or very little of them, and I dilute heavily, to boot).

My hair is generally healthier, but I think that is more a function of handling and protective styles than any products. However cones, at least, make my hair limp and suppress the curl, so I think I am better off without them. At any rate, whatever I am doing is working, so if it ain't broke I'm not going to fix it :)

Loreley
May 4th, 2010, 11:24 PM
I haven't used cones for half a year and I don't use SLS now. My hair is much softer, it's even softer than it was when I did only CO washes. The shampoo I use is perfect for me! :inlove:
I've just checked the ingredients of my conditioners and one of them contains Methylparaben. I don't know what paraben is and why it is nasty. I'll look it up. :confused:

Olde Soul
May 4th, 2010, 11:31 PM
I started going SLS free a few weeks ago and my scalp has been much happier with me -- no more giant sheds! However,my ends still like cones, so I keep some SLS shampoo around to clarify the ends, but keep it off my scalp.

Sunny_side_up
May 4th, 2010, 11:34 PM
I have a use then rest period with SLS, at the mo i'm using them again and definately a cones person, my hair reacts very well to em and i enjoy the look and feel.

Roseate
May 4th, 2010, 11:45 PM
...I guess I'll just give it go and see what happens since I went right off the deep end and gave other products away. Thank you again for your help, my friends. :flower:

Anymore information is greatly appreciated.

Enjoy your experiment, and remember: not all cone/sulfate-free products are created equal. So if your hair doesn't like the first ones you try, don't necessarily assume that it's because of the lack of cones; it might just not be the right product for you.

SLS gave me scalp problems that I struggled with for years, I'll never go back. Cones are a take-it-or-leave it for me, but I avoid them just so I won't have to worry about buildup, since I don't use sulfates. Parabens I don't even think about.

I actually used a cone conditioner on my ends while on vacation last week, and I feel like I'm wearing a wig, my hair feels so strange! I hope my normal wash gets it out.

CrowningGlory
May 5th, 2010, 01:13 AM
I've been SLS and cone-free for about four years - until this week in fact when I bought a "natural" shampoo and conditioner from my local supermarket that was a third of the price of the natural one I've been buying from the health food shop. Both contain a cone (water soluble I think and I'm not even sure why it's in the 'poo) but no SLS or parabens. I've just tried the condish on my ends and they already feel soft and silky even though they're still wet.

I've not really found a condish in the past four years that I really love (apart from one that I bought overseas and can't get online) so if this condish works I'll probably keep using it. The fragrance is a little overpowering but that's possibly because I'm used to the natural conditioners with their milder fragrances. I think I can probably live with it especially at the lower price.

TXbarbie
May 5th, 2010, 01:21 AM
My fine, thin hair LOVES cones. I tried giving it up and my hair went absolutely limp within a month. I use Nexxus products so they probably have SLS and parabens in them as well :D

Marjolein
May 5th, 2010, 01:38 AM
snip>
I only use my thick coney condish from my armpits down. <snip

Haha LadyVictoria, somehow I read that in a completely different way than you probably meant. For the briefest moment I thought: She uses conditioner on her armpit hair?!?

Now, back on topic: I've been cone and SLS free for six months now, and honestly I don't see or feel any difference in my hair with before.

Natalia
May 5th, 2010, 02:00 AM
Hello,

Have you recently given up on these little nasties? What was your result and how long did it take your hair to adjust?

As of Sunday, May 4, 2010, I am finished with the viscious SLS/ Cone cycle. I read a thread here, I will try to find it, that explained it wonderfully. I had an AHA moment.:idea: I gave all of my products containing these ingredients away and purchased the most natural SLS, Cone and Paraben free products that I could find. Mainly, Burt's Bees, EO and Giovanni. I feel like my hair is much softer just after 3 days ,but it's too early to tell.

I'm in this for the long haul. Please let me know your thoughts and experiences. Thanks. :)

I dont use SLS/SLES, Cones, Parabens, mineral oil, or petrol products. Its been that way for a while now but not quite a year. I had an unusual adjstment to say the least. I got really sick which didnt allow me to wash my hair very often (like once a month tops) became allergic to SLS/SLES and it kinda snowballed from there. Since i wasnt able to wash my scalp had already adjusted and no longer overproduced so i didnt need shampoo more than once a month or so which made things alot easier in a way. After that i went CO and a few months ago i started doing mostly WO with CO or SMT's about twice a month depending. I like having the peace of mind knowing whats in my products and that they are less harmful to me and the enviornement from start to finish.

Oh just a note i dont use them but i think i read that some Giovanni products have water soluble cones? Just somethint o chekc for i believe the VIT's has something in there about cones and solubility. Im glad you feeling positive and i hope you get the results your wanting :).

virgo75
May 5th, 2010, 05:24 AM
I gave them all up for about 2 years total.
In that time I tried drugstore, high end, organic(from Whole Foods), and fully natural(WO, oil & ayurvedic herbs, egg shampoo, etc.).

CO lasted about 1 & 1/2 years.
In that time my hair fell out in clumps - my scalp doesn't like stuff on it other than shampoo & can tolerate some oil but only if it's washed out rather quickly.
I also found that my hair was dry and coated.
The only time it felt better was after I clarified - which I did a couple of times then returned to non-cone products.
Hair and scalp was still a mess.

The other natural experiments were about the same except for using ayurvedic herbs and oils. My hair was about as happy as it was gonna get, but it was still dry and brittle. And after a while, the oil would build up on my scalp and I would lose more hair.

I've had to learn what worked for my hair and scalp.

As much as I would love to be able to just use water and oil or nothing at all, that just doesn't work for me.

My hair and scalp prefers ALS shampoo to SLS, and likes many cones but HATES the -xane cone and bis-aminopropyl cones. It also likes SMTs after clarifying and using a bit of conditioner and oil as a leave-in.

Hope you're able to find something that works for you. :flower:

ASillyKitty
May 5th, 2010, 05:29 AM
Thanks to shampoo bars, I have given up SLS, cones, and parabens for my hair. I think it's much easier on my hair not to go through the cycle of putting on cones and stripping them off. My hair is so much softer and nicer now, and my scalp itchies are totally gone. I'm pretty close to not using them on my skin too, just got a couple small bottles of lotion to finish up.

ohiofritty
May 5th, 2010, 07:05 AM
I haven't used a commercial shampoo for about 7 or 8 months now. I have used a CV shampoo bar, but my best success has been with very dilute baking soda. I used ACV after (almost) every BS or shampoo bar wash.

I have been attempting water only - and while I haven't had complete success (I do still wash with BS/ACV every couple of weeks)...I have to say my hair has a LOT more personality than it used to when I washed/conditioned/blowfried every other day. And I can stretch washes like never before (I used to have super oily awful hair by day two). Not blowfying makes a huge difference too I'm sure.

Its really just a personal preference thing. My hair now is certainly different than it was with shamp/cond. Is it better? I think so, but I could change my mind! :cheese:

breezefaerie
May 5th, 2010, 07:31 AM
I use both cone and non-cone shampoos and conditioners. My hair likes both :)

LadyVictoria
May 5th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Lol@marjolein

Yeah I guess it did sound a bit funny. I do use condish as a shaving lotion though, works much better than anything else I've tried.

kittylover
May 5th, 2010, 10:49 AM
I try to avoid cones. They just make may hair so greasy. I don't care about parabens.

Calaelen
May 5th, 2010, 11:11 AM
I've never found a product my scalp could handle. Even the "natural", organic, SLS, Sulfate, Paraben free stuff breaks me out which leads me to believe that I am a victim of false advertising, and tricks like using coco-betaine and other additives to "cancel" out the sulfate that they put in under a different name. Basically, if it has a lather it has a sulfate..
I now wash my hair with a mix of egg yolk, coconut or jojoba oil, lemon juice, herbs and/or gelatin if my hair wants extra protein. It cleans my hair just as well as any shampoo I've ever used, leaves it soft and healthy, and doesn't break me out.

intothemist1999
May 5th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Hello,

I gave them all up. My hair doesn't respond to different ingredients, so I see no point in one product over another.

I figure the less chemical, the better, and go for as simple/natural a product as I can find. At the moment, if I feel the need for "shampoo" I use a bar. For the most part these are very natural soap bars, and only one is actually intended for hair*. They are all heavy on oils as an ingredient. The ingredients are very basic (and mostly edible) so I'm very happy with them.

I mostly CO, and again try to find as simple a product as I can.

The only time I go for a product that DOES have those in is if I'm just dying to have a particular product's scent in my hair.

*eta: I just checked the website of one brand and they now say their soap is ok for hair --and is river friendly, good for camping! I emailed them last years to say I used their soaps as a shampoo. Maybe other have told them, too. I'm glad -- it's a really nice product with lots of nice scents. http://www.mountainskysoap.com/

Hana
May 5th, 2010, 02:32 PM
In my experience, I have only ever had problems using sulphates and cones. I thought the reason my hair was so rebellious was because there was no conditioner good enough for my hair, even though I had tried virtually everything out there.
Since ditching the sulphates, i have noticed my hair is more co-operative. I think my hair, whilst relatively thick and robust, is more delicate than I thought.
I'm still getting rid of silicones. There are none in my conditioners, though there are some in my shampoo. I havent noticed as obvious a difference in minimising my use of cones, but then they aren't completely gone from my routine.

I should note that these changes I have made to my hair have made an overall difference, combined with everything else I have learned on the LHC. Things like not using heat, no metal hair-ties, oiling my hair, even changing how I wash my hair to a degree - I'm sure all these little things have added up. So combining that with the ditching Sulphates, my hair has breathed a sigh of relief, and as a result I'm having more good hair days than I ever thought I would!

I'm still growing out damage in my hair, but in my personal opinion, switching to gentler, plant based shampoos have been considerably less harsh on my hair, and this shows overall.
It's taken a couple of months to adjust, and I expect the condition of my hair will continue to change as I grow out the previous damage.

Hope this is useful for you! :D

oceanwoman111
May 5th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Oskimosa - Thank you!! I'm not completely trusting of the FDA either. When I realized that most shampoos have the same ingredients as dish detergent, I was shocked. I don't want to put something that harsh on my scalp!! It's crazy. Fine for glass and dish ware ,but not on my hair. No wonder it felt so darn dry. Especially with all of the great natural alternatives out there now. I CWCed my hair today with all natural products and honestly, my hair feels great!! My scalp isn't any oilier than usual and my ends feel much more hydrated. I like it. :cheer:

Arien Ellarial - :lol: It's like you were here with me today. After my shower, I applied my cone-free leave in by giovanni and was like "Ok, my hair is feeling a little weird and looking a bit wuzzy." Bunned it for a while. When it dried, it looked great, better that it has in a while. Thank you so much for the heads up!!

I have my mom doing it too! Her hair is thick, black, silky, virgin waves.
It looks amazing!!!!! :thud:

Of course, she could probably wash it in manure and it would still look awesome. :)

oceanwoman111
May 5th, 2010, 06:21 PM
I figure the less chemical, the better, and go for as simple/natural a product as I can find. At the moment, if I feel the need for "shampoo" I use a bar.

You got it!!:agree: My instincts tell me this is true. I mean we are human after all.
Thank you for the awesome site!!!

Lady Victoria - Thank you for being so supportive. I will take my time. Trying one thing at a time has been a challenge for me ,but you are right. It's the only way to really know. You made me laugh.:lol:
"Something that crawled out of the crypt." My BF says it feels like cheap wig hair. Oh, and "Thick and coney from my armpits down" :rollin: I know what you mean, it was just so funny at first.

Thanks again to everyone, you have been very helpful!!!:grouphug:

Crazycatlady
May 5th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Mintyhot~ have you tried using CO (conditioner only) to wash the oils out of your hair? I know it sounds kinda crazy, but conditioner gets coconut oil out of my hair even if I do a heavy over night oiling. I try to leave the condish. in my hair for at least 10 min. and scrub really well and then rinse, rinse, rinse. Hope this helps. :)

i have been cone free for about a year, i hate using sls because it makes me shed a lot! And parabens don't bother me, someone had mentioned that it is only "Toxic" if in high doses so i don't mind that much. And to get oils out of my hair- even though i hate using it- i use dawn and it unfortunately has sls but my hair loves oils so it's the price i have to pay. If anyone knows another way i would be happy to hear it! :)

Sammich
May 5th, 2010, 11:23 PM
I'm SLS and cone free for a while. I love the increased softness and the more wavies. :D I also paraben, I don't really care much for them.
(until my SLS shampoo runs out, plus I also clarify!)

Henrietta
May 9th, 2010, 01:05 PM
I will be cone free not before 6 July unfortunately. I have to finish up expensive coney condish.
Then I will think about the rest. I have three possibilities:
1. cone free and parabens free
2. cone free and SLS free
3. CO washing, so SLS, cones anb parabens free.

So I have a question for you. If CO won't work for me I will have to choose: shampoo without parabens or shampoo without SLS. There's not product in Poland without them both as far as I know. So in your opinion what would be better?

JenniferNoel
May 9th, 2010, 02:39 PM
I've seriously ditched the cones this time around. It took me a couple months to adjust to my hair's "real personality" but in the long run it's worth it.
I can go a little longer between washes and I rarely have to clarify.
SLS is half and half for me. If I feel my hair really needs it, I use it. But most of the time I'm fine without it.
I try to avoid parabens as well.

RoseRedDead
May 9th, 2010, 02:43 PM
SLS - No. I use it to clarify my hair (once a month, maybe?)
Cones - I have a few bottles of cone-y conditioner for when the desire strikes me (which is rarely, as I have to use SLS, SLES, or ALS to remove it)
Parabens - Nope. They're in my CO-wash conditioner!

Oy. I just try not to freak out about it.

melikai
May 9th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I will be cone free not before 6 July unfortunately. I have to finish up expensive coney condish.
Then I will think about the rest. I have three possibilities:
1. cone free and parabens free
2. cone free and SLS free
3. CO washing, so SLS, cones anb parabens free.

So I have a question for you. If CO won't work for me I will have to choose: shampoo without parabens or shampoo without SLS. There's not product in Poland without them both as far as I know. So in your opinion what would be better?

I would go for a shampoo without SLS over one without parabens, as SLS is known to give people more problems than parabens do.

I haven't used silicones or sulphates for about a year and a half now, and my products don't contain any parabens. Although the research is inconclusive at this point with regards to these things, even the possibilities are enough for me to want to avoid them. As well, it is EASY to avoid them, with so many alternatives out there now.

My ends would probably bother me less if I used some 'cones on them, but I hate the plastic, coated feel. They also flatten my hair, take out its waves, and leave it dull looking.

Without using silicones, I don't find sulphates necessary, and they are much to harsh and drying on my scalp.

Good luck with your transition! As someone else mentioned, don't give up if it doesn't work immediately - some more 'natural' products work great for me and others not so much, so it really depends on the product and the ingredients. :)

Amelia
May 9th, 2010, 04:23 PM
I have a sensitive scalp, so I was really in need of a change. I think SLS were ruining my scalp, irritating it and making me umcorfortable. Also, i was curious to see what would happen if I left the "little nasties" behind.

It's been two weeks now, and I have to say that my scalp is feeling much better- i have been trying out a natural shampoo with lava sand and the itchness is almost gone. But, as you can see, it's only been two weeks, i still have a lot of experimenting to do.

At first i had the impression that my end were a bit on the dry side without the cones, but i have since used coconut oil as a leave-in conditioner and it has worked wonders. My length and ends are softer like never before.

I want to continue to be cone and other stuff free, and so far my scalp and hair seem to like it too.

Capybara
May 9th, 2010, 04:35 PM
I used to try to avoid parabens, but they are in so many products nowadays (cosmetics, soap, cleansers, body wash ... etc) that I realized, it wasn't worth it to take them out of my hair diet if I was still using them on my body. :shrug:

I am SLS free, except for when I have to get rid of build-up. I do use cones, my hair loves them, but the sulfates are the only way I can clarify. I don't see damage from them, but I don't want to strip my already dry hair more than I need to :)

oceanwoman111
May 10th, 2010, 10:12 AM

Good question.
Hmmm. Well, cutting out Shampoo without SLS too because it has seemed to make the most difference so far. My hair used to get soooooooo dry and I don't do any heat styling. It baffled me for a while trying to figure out what was drying out my hair until I cut out the SLS and presto!:magic: my hair feels soft and full of moisture.

The issue with Parabens is that they are considered carcinogens which are linked to cancer. I'm hearing that you need to be exposed to a lot to actually effect you ,but I think every little bit counts. They are in soooooooooo many products!!

There are many products that don't have SLS or Parabens. Have you checked online, if they could ship them to you? Let me know how it works out for you.

Goodluck!!! :flowers:

Bianca
May 10th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Not recently, but yes, I dont use products with SlS, cones or parabens. Also try to avoid any skin penetrating ingredients, but it's hard. I just found a Co-wash conditioner with just 6 ingredients, no perfume, no parabens, no nothing :D

I will probably try cones and sulfates again, just to compare, cause I cant really remember the difference. Other than my hair is a lot softer without shampoo and frizzes less. But haven't used cones in a looong time, so can't remember what that did to my hair :)

exchequette
May 12th, 2010, 03:22 PM
I started using as SLS-free shampoo about a month ago and so far I am happy with it. I still use one that has SLS in it about once a week, after the weekend because I am in a show and I have to put all sorts of crazy stuff in my hair for the show, so I want to get that out. I'm going to use up the rest of a small bottle I have of the SLS-containing shampoo by using it once a week and then I'm gonna see what happens when I go completely SLS-free. In the past I have tended to be a bit of a greaseball, but this year I turned 30 and my skin has finally gotten considerably drier.

I am going to start using a no-cone conditioner as soon as I can get to the store to get the one I have picked out. I don't know if I've ever used one before but we'll see how this goes!

VintageBrooklyn
May 13th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Oooh, my first post!!! I hope that I am doing this right! How fun and exciting!

I haven't used cone products for around a year and my hair is so much shinier for it! I still use a shampoo with sls, only because I am yet to find one without that I like, I do get shedding when I shampoo, maybe I need to go without sls to test that out. I don't avoid parabens either, just mainly silicone products as they were making my dark hair very dull and since I gave up chemical hair dyes for henna+ingido, my hair is even shiner!

: )

TrudieCat
May 13th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Just said "hello, again" to SLS/cones after almost 2 months without them. Some lovely people around here shared their experiences going SLS/cone free and it seemed to me that most saw an improvement right away while I didn't seem to see much improvement in the condition of my hair. I did notice that my hair was more prone to breakage without cones and that was very troubling.

Now that I am back to them, I am using a lighter hand with the SLS & cones though - CWC, scalp washing, dilluted shampoo and only a small amount of cones in my shampoo and leave-in. I still oil & use cone-free conditioner and so far, so good. Things seem to be improving slightly. So my experiment with no SLS/cones taught me a lot about my hair, and I'm glad I did it for a while.

Holly9192
May 13th, 2010, 12:21 PM
before i got off sls and cones my scalp was such a mess. I had scabs from the sls and build up from the cones. I thought i had sebbhoric dermatitis, but as soon as i stopped the sls and cones my scalp has had no scabs or build up. Also my hair has been healthier than ever :D

oh and i haven't used them in prolly 6months! :D

cardamom
May 13th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Frankly,the ingredients dont matter as long as my hair is happy.I use SLS and cones.:)

Sunny_side_up
May 13th, 2010, 01:40 PM
I have stopped using the Lush shampoo bars i bought a few weeks ago, my knuckles( which are sensitive and red most days) were getting more and more itchy, dry and and skin was broken and i scratched til red raw :( Hair didn't seem any different:dizzy:. Scalp didn't seem troubled. I assume the concentration of SLS is much higher in those bars. So, for the sake of my hard working hands the bars have been put in the tin and left out the way in the bathroom. Using a dilute liquid SLS shampoo atm until i get round to buying more jason shampoo.
This evening i made guacamole:yumm: couldn't resist rubbing the left over insides of the skin over my poor knuckles. They felt soo soothed and at the mo the redness has pretty much gone and my skin feels soft. Wonderful thing the avocado, i used to dislike it!

oceanwoman111
May 13th, 2010, 02:48 PM
I have stopped using the Lush shampoo bars i bought a few weeks ago, my knuckles( which are sensitive and red most days) were getting more and more itchy, dry and and skin was broken and i scratched til red raw :( Hair didn't seem any different:dizzy:. Scalp didn't seem troubled. I assume the concentration of SLS is much higher in those bars. So, for the sake of my hard working hands the bars have been put in the tin and left out the way in the bathroom. Using a dilute liquid SLS shampoo atm until i get round to buying more jason shampoo.
This evening i made guacamole:yumm: couldn't resist rubbing the left over insides of the skin over my poor knuckles. They felt soo soothed and at the mo the redness has pretty much gone and my skin feels soft. Wonderful thing the avocado, i used to dislike it!

I love Avocado! Just made Guacamole last night and it was delicious. I was tempted to put it in my hair. :eyebrows: Well, without the onions and jalepenos of course.

pennylane
May 13th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Have you recently given up on these little nasties?.....

Please let me know your thoughts and experiences. Thanks. :)

I have given up on SLS and Parabens... both are very bad for my scalp :confused:

But sometimes i use cones, as defrizzers in the form of creams or pomades after my hair is dry.

Other times, when i feel my hair needs them, i use a cone conditioner after i wash.

So for my is 70% of the time natural and 30% of the time cones. :)

exchequette
May 19th, 2010, 03:17 PM
I am halfway through my first week of going cone-free. I'm going to try it for two weeks, and then I may (or may not) go back to using my cones for a couple of weeks to see what the difference is.

So far it's hard to tell a difference. This morning, a few hours after washing (with SLS-free shampoo - I like it, but i used a shampoo with SLS to get all the cones out earlier in the week) my hair was frizzy and poufy, but this afternoon it's frizz-free and shiny! But it'a also flat now... Tomorrow I will use conditioner again (no cones) and we'll see...

Hypnotica
May 19th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I mix and match depending on how my hair feels.

And I will not ever ditch SLS because I *need* to clarify. My hair will get build-up no matter what kind of condish I use.

klcqtee
May 19th, 2010, 04:01 PM
I have given up cones...partially. My hair loves cones, but my skin breaks out in acne and a rash, and itches. I've tried to DT with cones alone (hoping to rinse very, very carefully to protect my skin) and my hair would be happy with the cones. Well, my hair loved the cones, but now my scalp itches like crazy. There's simply no winning :/

I don't think there are any terrible health side effects of using cones, parabens, etc. so long as you feel okay, and you're healthy. I doubt it causes cancer (but then again, it seems EVERYTHING causes cancer, doesn't it?) or anything terribly serious in 99% of humans. I'd say do what works for you.

As far as adjustment time, I saw a difference with going cone free immediately. My skin improved exponentially the entire time I was cone free, and broke out within 30 minutes have cones back in my system. My hair saw a pretty steady change from the first time I went cone-free onward. It seems some people see a decline in hair happiness, then an improvement, but mine improved the entire time.

exchequette
May 24th, 2010, 08:43 AM
It's been a week since I stopped using any cones whatsoever, but my hair's still as frizzy as ever - even after I've shampooed it twice with an SLS-containing shampoo, to get out all the old cones. I was thinking of going cone-free for two weeks just to be sure... but I have very few styling products that don't have any cones, and I'm getting annoyed by the constant frizz that I know I could zap with any one of the many products I have.

I'm thinking my hair might like cones. I prefer to use an SLS-free shampoo, and I already know my hair does fine with that, as long as I use cones, apparently!

GRU
May 24th, 2010, 08:58 AM
It's been a week since I stopped using any cones whatsoever, but my hair's still as frizzy as ever - even after I've shampooed it twice with an SLS-containing shampoo, to get out all the old cones. I was thinking of going cone-free for two weeks just to be sure... but I have very few styling products that don't have any cones, and I'm getting annoyed by the constant frizz that I know I could zap with any one of the many products I have.

Have you conditioned the bejeezus out of your hair? Do you leave conditioner on your hair? My hair is curlier than yours, and my hair isn't any frizzier cone-free than it was with cones. (My daily routine is spelled out in this post (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1101290&postcount=12) from another thread.)

Miasen
May 24th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Am trying cone-free for a while as soon as I can pick up my new conditioner from the post office. Not sure if my hair will agree, but we'll find out soon enough!

az_sweetie01
May 24th, 2010, 06:16 PM
I have given up parabens but, sulfates and cones work okay for me.

After joining LHC a few years ago, I started having some major scalp and body skin issues. Flakes, itching, etc. My dermatologist was certain that my body skin was suffering because of the highly fragranced and chemical laden (company shall remain nameless) lotions and soaps I was using. She hit that on the nose and while it's been hard and frustrating, I don't have the body skin issues anymore.

As far as the scalp goes, I'm still trying to find a good combo. Like I said above, the only thing I go out of my way to avoid are parabens. Right now I use an SLS free shampoo (diluted) and a cone free conditioner. Seems to be working out but, it's worth noting that I will use whatever conditioner I want on my length because it never touches my sensitive scalp :).

May
May 24th, 2010, 07:25 PM
No. I've experimented some; didn't find any personal reason to avoid those particular ingredients. I don't buy into anybody else's alarmist product paranoia. I like cones, and I can use any shampo as long as I dilute it.

I feel pretty similar. My hair does pretty good with these. I've actually tried to avoid them in the past just to see what would happen and the results were not great; dry, staticky, flat hair. This might be due to my hair type which is fairly porous, fine and curly.

Milui Elenath
May 25th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Yes. Yes and Yes! I gave up SLS and parabens a long long time ago -years.
I was told that if you can't eat something then you shouldn't put it on your skin/hair. I agonised over this a while before realising that I live in the 21st century and some compromises have to be made. I found a sls, paraben free shampoo and conditioner but it had cones. I used this for two years without issue to my hair and with no knowledge of other choices. But now I have switched to water only so no cones either. :D

My hair has not suffered from the change and indeed seems stronger, the ends may be suffering but its nothing I can't handle with catnip tea or oil. My scalp has rejoiced at the change and I rejoice for various ethical and environmental concerns of my own personal conviction.

oceanwoman111
May 31st, 2010, 08:18 AM
Update: I haven't had any problems going "No cone." The texture of my hair overall seems softer and silkier. As for SLS free, it's been going better that I imagined. I thought that I would have an oil slick on my head ,but surprisingly, I don't. The only problem that I've noticed is that the ends get really piecey. I can brush through with a BBB and in 5 minutes, it's piecing up again. I'm thinking of using a diluted SLS shampoo, like Spidermom suggested, occasionally on the ends but so far, so good. :thumbsup:

Miasen
May 31st, 2010, 08:45 AM
Been cone-free for about a week, and so far it looks good. My hair doesn't seem to be as frizzy as it usually is, so it seems promising. :D

Laylah
May 31st, 2010, 08:54 AM
I've only said goodbye to SLS, because it was too harsh for my hair. My hair is super thick so even with some cones it doesn't get weighed down. The shampoo I use has some cones but oddly enough not the conditioner. I don't currently use stuff with parabens but if there was a product that I liked that had parabens I wouldn't mind, because it's really only dangerous if you have huge amounts, and pretty much everything is toxic at a certain amount.

UltraBella
May 31st, 2010, 09:15 AM
I ditched the SLS and cones a couple of weeks ago to experiment. Right away my fair was softer and shinier. I am so pleasantly surprised, and my daughter noticed immediately and asked why my hair was suddenly so shiny :) I am still new to it, but I am loving the results !!
I do not worry about parabens.

Nae
May 31st, 2010, 09:30 AM
Well, I was cone and sulfate free for over 6 months and loved it. I was using CV bars and I fully intend to continue using them but just this week I decided to go back to cones and SLS for a few and experiment (also to get rid of some of the old stuff floating around my shower.) They are okay, they seem to help the frizzies in all this crazy humidity we have been getting lately. But my curls are falling out!!! Which is no biggie since my hair is UP in this crazy weather but I am totally going back, probably next week sometime.

XcaliburGirl
May 31st, 2010, 09:43 AM
I tried to go CO, but couldn't make it past the transition.

After that, I fell in love with 'cones again, so, I was stuck with SLS for a while. I was still having scalp issues, so even though I did not want to give up 'cones, I did in favor of shampoo bars. It's only been a week, but so far I am enjoying the bars and not really missing the 'cones. I guess that means I have said goodbye for now.

Annalouise
May 31st, 2010, 10:41 AM
Yes, I said goodbye to them last year sometime.
I'm doing water only now but I'm not happy with the results.

Chamomile betty
May 31st, 2010, 01:37 PM
I went back to cones after a few months of trying CG routine. My hair is easier to work with now compared to when I was doing a no-cone routine. I still have some non-cone hair products I use in rotation.

kabelaced
May 31st, 2010, 10:29 PM
I stopped using things with SLS, cones and parabens a little after joining the LHC; I thought my hair felt softer. I tried using Herbal Essences S&C once (it was an emergency situation) and the horrible smell stayed in my weird-feeling hair all day. I was so relieved when I could wash it out again with my regular shampoo and conditioner.

Now that I'm a super shorty, I've been using CV's butter bar conditioner poo bar and Aubrey Organics Camellia conditioner (none of them containing any of the above crazy things, as far as I know), and those plus a drop of sweet almond oil infused with jasmine make my hair crazy smooth and soft. Looooooove it, and hope that this routine will continue to work for my long hair! :cheese:

Oddly enough, when I did used to use any ol' shampoo (particularly Finesse's 2-in-1 balancing formula) I had crazy volume and curls going on. When I switched to no-cones, no SLS and no parabens, my hair kind of normalized. Hm...

As far back as high school, when I used to use Pantene, I don't remember having an itchy scalp, but it happens to me sometimes. Through all of my hair regimen changes, I've always had flakes of some kind, but nothing plainly visible on the hair.

Danelliia
May 31st, 2010, 10:43 PM
I have been sulfate and 'cone free for years and started by using Burt's Bees (until Clorox bought them). I have stayed that way ever since and my hair didn't have any adjustment period - I only had to recondition the way my hair felt to me!

MomoKoNoHanna
June 1st, 2010, 12:50 AM
I gave up cones/sls shampoo when I first started to grow my out from pixie. (2009) I tried going back 6months later to cones and sls and when I did my scalp got incrediably itchy so itchy i had to wash my hair again!!! So im never going back!!! My hair changes colour with the sun like it used to before I died it (also dye free now) and it is stronger and shiny! Oh yeah and longer :)

Idun
June 1st, 2010, 01:33 AM
I&#180;m never going back to the synthetic nasties either. My hair is so soft from changing to poobars! It is just as shiny as before but without the plastic feeling. My scalp is now healthy without excema or itching (I have struggled all my life with that). I also don&#180;t have to wash my hair so often, every 5 days at the moment, though my goal is once a week. - And on top of that the scents from EO&#180;s are so much nicer!

It took some time getting used to it, but now I love my shampoo bars! :cheer:

Added bonus I: It makes me feel good to use a natural product that must be better for the environment, to not support a large cooperation, to support smaller businesses that make great handmade products.

Added bonus II; It is cheaper!

Cupofmilk
June 1st, 2010, 07:46 AM
I have ditched cones and parabens and sls BUT I keep finding all these shampoos that say they are free of these things are BUt they contain other things like ammoinmium laureth sulfate from vegatable sources and similar things that sound nasty.
I do need an occasional scalp shampoo as I do like to oil my head! I am struggling to find one I am ok with. In the UK I have ben using Waitrose Organic stuff and Faith in Nature. But mostly I use coconut oil for moisture and teatree for itching. I also made Kimberlilys spray detangler. Any really naturtal products are very expensive in the UK and I simply cannot afford to spend more than &#163;5 for a bottle of shampoo or conditioner.

adiapalic
June 1st, 2010, 08:09 AM
Burt's Bees shampoos and Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner work best for me, and have for around a couple years now. For the longest time I held onto Garnier Fructise Length & Strength because I couldn't find a more natural conditioner that worked as well with my hair, and then I finally found AOHR-- it works even better.

I just couldn't stand the smell of anything with SLS and 'cones (among other synthetic chemicals). They smelled too fake.... the fake fragrances pumped in to cover the smell of the fake chemicals just bothers me.

Never have I had something stay in my hair and smell as good as Honeysuckles & Roses except something that actually contains the essence oils of these flowers. Everything that just uses synthetic chemicals has strong undertones of something alcohol-based.

Henrietta
June 3rd, 2010, 12:18 PM
I said goodbye to cones and parabens.

But instead of cones, my new shampoo has DOZENS of sulphates in it. Magnesium and many, many different.
I had to make a compromise.
And since I CO, and I use the shampoo only on my fringe, I am not worry about sulphates that much.

emma907
June 3rd, 2010, 01:31 PM
I tried the Sulphate free and no cones from April, (and CO wash only) i documented with pictures what it was like so i could see for myself if my hair was better off. I'm fairly wavy - 2C hair, so it used to be so frizzy... since going Sulphate and cone free my hair has bee much better for it.
It went uber fluffy (not frizzy) for a week or so, but settled down. but it DID get some build up (might have been the cheapo conditioner i was using) so ended up using small amounts of sulphate shampoo once every 3 weeks to a month and my hair loves it!

Jammy
June 3rd, 2010, 02:19 PM
Mmm natures gate henna conditioner and JASON biotin shampoo...

starla_zero
June 5th, 2010, 10:12 PM
I did experiment for a month or so, using the Naked range, in the hopes it'd clear up some dry skin patches and dry scalp. My god what a mistake that was, I've never been itchier and flakier :(
I stuck with it for as long as I could because a few people recommended I stick with it because things will get worse before they get better... frankly I think that's ridiculous, not at all practical or comfortable for me to be itchy and sore all the time, so back to the chemicals I went!

jeanniet
June 6th, 2010, 02:01 PM
I haven't used SLS shampoos for years now. Cones have never worked for me, so I've avoided them. Parabens I have no clue about. I generally use products from natural care companies (or whatever you want to call them).

Forever_Sophie
June 6th, 2010, 05:51 PM
I've never had a problem w/ any of those ingredients, so no. I just make sure to clarify every other wk or so, for the silicones.

GlassEyes
June 6th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Nope! :D And I'm fairly okay with that.