PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if hair doesn't like oil?

kateeg
May 4th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I've been using avocado oil lately for weekly heavy overnight oilings, and before I wash it out the next day and use lots of conditioner, it seems to be making my hair feel a bit... stiff, a weird kind of "dry"- not floppy and flexible like nicely conditioned hair feels. I haven't been paying much attention to how it feels after washing, but I don't recall having this problem with either coconut or olive oil that I've tried before.

Before I keep chasing a lost cause, can anyone help me out on how you can tell if your hair isn't getting on well with an oil? Because to be honest, even though it seems like it would be obvious, I really can't tell, it's just all too new to me for a minute. I'm assuming it's not working out, but it would be nice to get a second opinion or some advice. Many thanks, as usual

spidermom
May 4th, 2010, 04:26 PM
When I had extremely damaged ends from flat-ironing, they didn't respond to oil at all. They'd go from feeling like straw to feeling like oiled straw. It wasn't an improvement. My hair responds well to oil now. For one thing, small amounts are absorbed within a few minutes to within an hour or so. Even heavy oilings are sometimes absorbed overnight. I figure as long as my hair is drinking it up and feeling nice and smooth as a result, I'll keep using it.

kateeg
May 4th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Hmm, that's a really interesting idea. My roots are fine, but my old bleached and dyed ends, as you said, feel like "oiled straw" (wonderful description btw!). I think I'll check on how it's feeling in the morning and then make a decision on giving up the avocado oil, before experimenting with coconut and olive again. Thank you for your input!

ratgirldjh
May 4th, 2010, 05:44 PM
It might be build up. I've found that some oils actually built up on my hair and would leave the ends feeling sort of crunchy and though they felt dry they would not absorb any more oil.

ChloeDharma
May 5th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Years ago i did a little project testing how different oils made my hair feel after using them for a while. I divided it roughly into two camps, one softening and one strengthening. If my memory is correct i found avocado to be quite strengthening, which was a good thing but it meant i needed other oils to give softness.
Funnily enough my reaction was the opposite of Spidermom's when my hair was damaged (although mine was chemical damage not heat damage) and a very intense oiling routine saved my hair from being chopped short.
Coconut oil was the one i found most effective at that point though for heavy oilings and joboba after washing.

kateeg
May 5th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Ratgirldhj- Yes, I did wonder about build-up, think I read somehere about how it can happen with oil. I used a clarifying shampoo about two weeks ago though, so would build-up still be likely?

ChloeDharma- That's such an interesting theory, thank you so much for sharing. I know what you mean about avocado being strengthening, it feels awful after I first put it on, but the next morning it feels thicker somehow and generally more robust- but it does need coconut and some good moisturising conditioner afterwards. I also read somewhere that avocado has a relatively high protein content, which maybe would account for the extra moisture needed afterwards?

spidermom
May 5th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Oil doesn't contain protein; it's pretty much 100% essential fatty acids. (unless I missed something in my research)

ChloeDharma
May 5th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Ratgirldhj- Yes, I did wonder about build-up, think I read somehere about how it can happen with oil. I used a clarifying shampoo about two weeks ago though, so would build-up still be likely?

ChloeDharma- That's such an interesting theory, thank you so much for sharing. I know what you mean about avocado being strengthening, it feels awful after I first put it on, but the next morning it feels thicker somehow and generally more robust- but it does need coconut and some good moisturising conditioner afterwards. I also read somewhere that avocado has a relatively high protein content, which maybe would account for the extra moisture needed afterwards?

As spidermom said oils don't usually contain protein that i know of, but maybe in the case of avocado oil it's different if it's unrefined? I'll have to look into this as i have noticed some places listing a protein content for some oils.
I must admit i'm a little rusty on oils for hair use as for a while now my focus has been on other areas, i suspect that it's more to do with the composition of the oils that determines how hair reacts to it. Given what you have described in your two posts i would suggest maybe alternating between coconut and avocado treatments, or even keeping the avocado to much less frequently and having the avocado for occasional oilings. Of course another idea might be to mix the two playing arund until you find a ratio that gives both the strengthening you like but also the softening/conditioning you enjoy.
This is half the fun of playing with oils, finding out what works and different ways of using them. I hope you find a combination that works for you soon :)

Luna12345
May 6th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Hmm, that's a really interesting idea. My roots are fine, but my old bleached and dyed ends, as you said, feel like "oiled straw" (wonderful description btw!). I think I'll check on how it's feeling in the morning and then make a decision on giving up the avocado oil, before experimenting with coconut and olive again. Thank you for your input!

try almond oil or olive oil...i find both of them to be really good.