PDA

View Full Version : Scary Hair Mishaps

Pear Martini
May 3rd, 2010, 09:43 PM
Have you ever had a scary hair mishap?

I searched for this topic but could not find anything.

I have been studying all night and just warmed up a bowl of rice and lentils. As I am bending down to place it on a table in my room my hair got lit on fire by the candle i have lit on the table. The bowl of food was so hot that I was in a rush to put it down so I didn't watch my hair and the candle. 1 inch pieces of hair were burned off. Phew... I thought it would be worse :rolleyes:

missjessiecakes
May 3rd, 2010, 10:00 PM
All I can say is sparklers and hairspray. That resulted in my first pixie cut

Pear Martini
May 3rd, 2010, 10:09 PM
Sparklers and hairspray?

Oh my goodness... I can only imagine the story behind that :D

Renbirde
May 3rd, 2010, 10:18 PM
:) I've lit my hair on fire too. I had a little braid in front of one ear, and it got tossed into a campfire with a handful of kindling. Luckily, it was braided neatly enough just the ends were singed!

Meagan
May 3rd, 2010, 10:21 PM
lmfao, my hair caught on fire once.
The power went off so I was carrying a candle everywhere, wasnt careful and my ends burnt off...no biggy tho.

IcarusBride
May 3rd, 2010, 10:34 PM
There have been a few horror stories I've read on here about girls catching their hair on fire. It's very scary! I'm glad you were able to put it out quickly and had minimal damage!

Igor
May 4th, 2010, 01:17 AM
When I was little I fell asleep on the backseat of the car and my hair got sucked into the fan on this cooling pack we had soda in. My hair was relatively okay but the fan completely clogged up and the cooling pack fried
My hair > electronics :D

halo_tightens
May 4th, 2010, 06:18 AM
When I was little I fell asleep on the backseat of the car and my hair got sucked into the fan on this cooling pack we had soda in. My hair was relatively okay but the fan completely clogged up and the cooling pack fried
My hair > electronics :D

Your hair > many things, lol! :D

Armelle
May 4th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Yeah, I was leaning against a dresser that had lit candles on it while at a halloween party. Someone else noticed the smoke...:flamed:

I've also gotten my hair caught in a car door and tried to walk away.
And it's been caught in tree branches near a bunch of poison ivy when I slipped while trying to climb up a steep riverbank.

lemonmelon
May 4th, 2010, 06:30 AM
When I was still straightening my hair everyday, there was a day when I was straightening my bangs and there was a power surge. Needless to say, I burned off a huge section of my bangs (of all places :justy:). I had crunchy ugly bangs for a long time...stupid straightener.

Also, I'm sure most people have done this at sometime in their childhood.

Sleep + gum = fun times in the morning!

Fencai
May 4th, 2010, 06:34 AM
*knock on wood* I haven't had anything happen to me, but when I was younger, I did witness the Bartender at my parent's country club get her hair tangled inside the dishwasher when she was unloading it. They had to cut her out of it... it was sad

SpinDance
May 4th, 2010, 06:40 AM
Thankfully I've not had a mishap like that, although of course I've gotten it stuck in doors of various sorts when there is wind blowing. On the other hand I have a very nice fire tube about 2.5 feet long, hollow, used to blow up a camp fire because a friend was afraid I'd get my waist to hip length hair in the cook fire. It was almost always braided around the fire, but it still scared everyone. I was very, very careful.

Oh, and I learned that if your hair is long enough and you swim, that it will wrap completely around your upper arm and when you move it'll pull like crazy. Now I oil heavily and braid before swimming!

Ludde
May 4th, 2010, 07:06 AM
No fire. But 2 year old daughter with the lovliest long blond hair ever was caught with scissors in one hand and one plait in the other. I had to hide in the stable to cry. She liked her shorter hairstyle, though.

BattahZ
May 4th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Ages ago when I was first learning to use a hair dryer, I was trying to straighten my hair a little with a round brush. I had the hair wrapped around the brush and the blow dryer pressed against it - til the brush, with hair wrapped around it, separated from my head. I had a 2-inch long chunk of hair with burned ends, and a round brush with my hair wrapped around it :( Fortunately it was near the back of my head, so it grew out without being obvious.

growing2shine
May 4th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Wow all of your stories about fire sounds really scary. Like my worst nightmares. Well I have fortunately never burnt my hair but when I was about five or six I fell asleep with gum in my mouth. And well, then I had a new hair cut...:(
Oh oh, and a few years ago when my hair was longer than it is now (and all at same length) a friend put some toy slime in my front hair. Then I had bangs. She was really sad about it because she didn't do it on purpose, and she always said that my hair was prettier than the models hair on tv :D

Siava
May 4th, 2010, 09:27 AM
3 years old - shaved off my eyebrows (hey, it's hair! ;) ).
5-9 years old - forever falling asleep with gum in my mouth.
10 years old - got my hair tangled in a brush-style curling iron.
13 years old - attempted to cut my own bangs. A straight line was finally achieved at 1".
Nothing too drastic for awhile.
28 years old - double bleached my hair so the color of Manic Panic I was interested in would be "true". Bad, bad idea! I ended up having to cut it all off to less than an inch.

I'm done now. I hope. :lol:

Jenn of Pence
May 5th, 2010, 11:04 AM
When I was 15 or so, I put my hair up in plastic curlers that had plastic fingers sticking out to grip the hair so it would stay up. When I went to take them down, my hair was so caught in those fingers I couldn't get the curlers out! This resulted in an embarrassed me sitting in the middle of the kitchen with mom and dad carefully trying to extricate each strand, and a fairly substantial trim ensued to get rid of some of the worst damaged.

TiaKitty
May 5th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Scary... hmmm... I think the worst was when my hair was down and I decided to play foozeball. I whipped on of the rods in a viscious spin and my hair wrapped around it and jerked me down, head first, into the foozeball table. That was a big, ugly tangle, which I have mostly blocked out of my memory. My best friend and my boyfriend lovingly untangled it for me.

As for fire... I accidentially got my hair caught between a big pot of water and the stove eye, as I was putting the water on to boil. Frizzle-fry... I've caught candles a couple of times, too.

Another scary one was when I was making cookies and got a small patch, maybe 1 inch x 1 inch, caught in the electric hand mixer. It jerked it out. It hurt so bad!

Not scary, but creepy... I hate it when I bend over to pull up my pants after using the public bathroom, and my hair touches the icky puddle on the ground! That creeps me out and it has been one of the reasons I haven't gone much past waist.

Pear Martini
May 5th, 2010, 03:49 PM
3 years old - shaved off my eyebrows (hey, it's hair! ;) ).
5-9 years old - forever falling asleep with gum in my mouth.
10 years old - got my hair tangled in a brush-style curling iron.
13 years old - attempted to cut my own bangs. A straight line was finally achieved at 1".
Nothing too drastic for awhile.
28 years old - double bleached my hair so the color of Manic Panic I was interested in would be "true". Bad, bad idea! I ended up having to cut it all off to less than an inch.

I'm done now. I hope. :lol:

Oh my goodness. That sounds like a nightmare? Did you rock the shaved look or did you buy a wig?

DakarNick
May 5th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Just singed my eyebrows and burned off my eyelashes on my right eye!

AmericanWoman
May 5th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Once upon a time, a long time ago in a land not too far away.... I was in highschool and a nice young man lit his lighter to light my cigarrette and promptly set my hair on fire. He was so upset,and of coarse I told him it was ok. I did have to cut my hair. Short.

Magicknthenight
May 5th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Just singed my eyebrows and burned off my eyelashes on my right eye!
Wow :disbelief How did that happen? Is your eye ok?

These are pretty scary. I don't think i ever had too many hair burning experiences. One time when i was little my grandma was doing something to my hair and had a cigarette and burned some. I think she ended up cutting my bangs back further towards my ears a bit..but it was so long ago. After the fire it got so tangled from the wind and i was so upset i just cut the tangles out with a pair of random scissors. Not much...and it doesn't show..so i guess thats not quite so bad. The lady cringed when she saw me cutting a knot or two out though.
She insisted on giving me tiny thin hair ties because she didn't understand i could put it up better with a ink pin :suspect:
Those didn't help...
Oh..one time i tried brushing my hair when i was real young and the brush got stuck. My mom said she was going to cut it out. I think i cried for a really long time. We didn't cut it she was just mad I tried it. I'm not even gonna get into those circular hair brush memories. I only used it once or twice before i realized how awful those things are:mad
Also one time i had one of those mini fans with the little battery in it. I was walking around with it on my face and some hair flew into it and got stuck. I think i just pulled it out. I felt bad about it even then before i really cared about my hair like i do now. Luckily all those were a really long time ago and i haven't had any really bad incidents since then.
It only took my head being yanked when my hair gets caught in something a few times before i learned :o
ETA: Wow my hair mishaps are nothing compared to some of these! They sound pretty traumatic :(

Lunnafindel
May 5th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Until I was a teenager, my mother never let me eat gum specifically because she didn't want it getting caught in my hair. Thanks to her, that never happened.
I had a Manic Panic panic moment as well - I dyed a blue streak in my hair, and then redid it a couple of times to get the roots...until one day something went very wrong and I took the strand of hair out of the tinfoil to find it bright orange and crunchy. When I washed it out, the crunch literally turned to goo and my hair oozed off - I didn't even have to cut it. That was pretty awful. No lasting shame though, I just parted my hair on the other side for the next year or so and now if I look hard I can find it somewhere around APL.

TiaKitty - don't worry about the bathroom thing - all you have to do is wrap your hair around your neck and it's safe. :)
And Spindance, if I take my hair out while I'm swimming it does tend to wrap around my arms and legs and make swimming a bit difficult. Getting out of the pool is also quite an effort. But I can't imagine it would be dangerous...you can generally extract yourself.

I think the most genuinely scary moment I had with my hair was when I was contra dancing and spinning really fast - my braid whipped out and wrapped around someone else's neck, nearly strangling her and/or breaking my neck. I have never danced in a braid since.

ArienEllariel
May 5th, 2010, 08:03 PM
And Spindance, if I take my hair out while I'm swimming it does tend to wrap around my arms and legs and make swimming a bit difficult. Getting out of the pool is also quite an effort. But I can't imagine it would be dangerous...you can generally extract yourself.

The only thing that can be dangerous about long hair and swimming is that it can get caught in pool drains. I heard a story about a young girl who drowned when her hair clogged a pool drain at the bottom of the pool and she couldn't get herself free.

Pear Martini
May 5th, 2010, 08:21 PM
The only thing that can be dangerous about long hair and swimming is that it can get caught in pool drains. I heard a story about a young girl who drowned when her hair clogged a pool drain at the bottom of the pool and she couldn't get herself free.

A cousin of mine has WL hair and a belly ring. She was swimming underwater and her hair got caught to her belly ring and she almost drowned. Be careful!

Yozhik
May 5th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Wow -- these are some scary stories!

The worst I've done is gum and singeing off part of my hair with a candle :o
These were both when I was younger.

Recently I did get my hair repeatedly stuck in a car door on a breezy day, but I managed to extract it with no damage -- things to keep in mind when one's hair gets longer :)

Olde Soul
May 5th, 2010, 08:26 PM
When I was around 6, I went to a wedding and was standing with my back against the head table while watching the dancing. Turns out I had backed into a candle. The poor groomsman watching all this unfold was trying in vain to get me attention; luckily I only singed the very ends.

MissSunshine
May 5th, 2010, 09:52 PM
The first time I saw Mulan when I was a little girl I was so inspired that I went into my parents room, got out my mothers nice sewing scissors, gathered all my hair into a ponytail and cut it all off! I've also gotten gum in it and singed it with a wood burner tool.

BonnyJ
May 5th, 2010, 10:10 PM
I think the round brushes should be outlawed. A friend got one caught in her long hair near her scalp and had to cut it out. She then had to go to a salon for a very short more even cut.

Amraann
May 5th, 2010, 10:42 PM
I had a vacuum that had a pet hair removal attachment. It had a little spinning brush in it.
I can't tell you how many times I got tangled on that.

Luckily I always managed to turn the vacuum off quickly and unwind my hair. I did not notice any serious damage.

-j-
May 5th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Iīve also got a round brush cought in my hair. I was then about 6 and used the brush to detangle my wet hair after swimming (!!!).

I couldnīt get the brush out myself or with the help of my friend, so I had to go home from the swimming hall with the brush in my head. I think mum finally got it out. I donīt remember if we had to cut, not much at least.

camillacamilla
May 6th, 2010, 12:27 AM
Here is my harrowing tale of getting my hair caught in the vacuum cleaner....

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=40404

Sparkette
May 6th, 2010, 12:27 AM
When I was about 15 I was in a candlelight peace march. When we reached our destination and I got under the lights I found a section of hair with curled and blackened ends.:bigeyes: I didn't have to cut my hair but it really scares me that, A: I didn't notice and B: no one else did. I think my lack of hair products may have saved me from disaster.

Khiwanean
May 6th, 2010, 01:11 AM
I too have managed to suck my hair up with a vacuum cleaner. Unfortunately, it was with the upholstery attachment so I got all wrapped around the spinning brush. I was lucky in that it was fairly easy to get out once the vacuum was off; I just had to pull gently and the hair unwound from the brush.

MAO
May 6th, 2010, 02:55 AM
Ah yes, the mechanical twirling brushes. Gosh I can't remember the name of them at the moment. Actually, I still have it, it was a present from my mom. Can't tell ya how many times my hair has gotten wrapped around the darn thing! Its actually quite helpful though when blowing out your hair.

I'm quite sure I must have burned my hair sometime during my 7 years of smoking. I just can't recall at this moment.

prittykitty
May 6th, 2010, 03:03 AM
Yes, and it happened this last winter. I was using a lot of oil and products with a lot of proteins. My hair seemed great for a while until one day it started to break off at the ends. Everyday I would get these little tiny 1/4 - 1/2 inch hairs in the sink when I combed my hair. I didn't know what to do or what was happening. I knew I had damaged ends from a lot of abuse but I never thought I would see so much breakage. Of course I immediately came to LHC and got some great advice that worked wonderful and stopped the breakage but it was quite a scare at the time.

Francoise1606
May 6th, 2010, 05:32 AM
I once fell asleep on my dad's sofa. When I woke up I realised that there had been a hairbrush where I had fallen asleep and it was a really cheap plastic brush and it and my hair were completely tangled. I don't remember all the details, but I think I had to cut some of my hair off. Fortunately it wasn't really noticeable, otherwise I would have been very upset!

Siava
May 6th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Oh my goodness. That sounds like a nightmare? Did you rock the shaved look or did you buy a wig?

Rocked it! It was actually quite liberating.

rach
May 6th, 2010, 06:37 AM
hand held fans - problematic with hair.

umbrellas - they are at head hight with me being tall, eye's, hair, ears have all be caught on them :disgust:

tree climbing i had hair rip out while coming down when i was a kid.

get caught on seat belts, car doors ect

I forget about my hair allot ??? ok?

oh and last night my gas lamp went up weirdly, i had to cheack i hadn't singed my hair or eyebrows off :confused:

mmm i wonder why i wear it up :o

Copasetic
May 6th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Last week I was on the bus. I had my hair in a loose ponytail, and somehow a giant hunk of it got stuck in between seats. I had to yank it out, and when I turned around, there was a chunk of my hair still stuck between the seats.

ccaswick
May 6th, 2010, 10:19 AM
stupid, but a few years back lit the grill -- it went out -- lit the grill -- it went out again -- then I said OK, THIS MEANS WOR -- and proceeded to squirt lighter fluid on the coals -- BIG mistake -- HUGE.
:thud:

kittylover
May 6th, 2010, 11:45 AM
I have had a perm done to my highlighted hair and it fried my hair. I had to cut my hair short to about 3 inches from BSL. It was very traumatic.

BunnyBee
May 6th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Once (when I still smoked) I tried to put my LIT cigarette behind my ear (obviously not realizing it was lit.. I must have been drunk) Wasn't as big a disaster as it could have been lol
Only the other day i got my hair caught in the hoover and had to cut over an inch 8-)

*facepalm*

eiwonob
May 6th, 2010, 03:53 PM
When I was little, I cut all my eyelashes off with a scissor - "it's hair!" argument. :o

halo_tightens
May 6th, 2010, 04:21 PM
I had a vacuum that had a pet hair removal attachment. It had a little spinning brush in it.

I too have managed to suck my hair up with a vacuum cleaner. Unfortunately, it was with the upholstery attachment so I got all wrapped around the spinning brush.

I now have to worry about this for the first time. Remember how I killed the old vacuum with my hair a few months ago...? Our new one has this sort of attachment, with a spinning brush. I'll have to get in the habit of being careful!

One of the worst I've actually done was getting a round-brush-type curling iron stuck in my hair. I realized right away that my hair would burn up quickly if I couldn't get it off the iron, and completely panicked. I unplugged the iron, and started pouring cold water on it to cool it quickly. Once it reached a safe temperature, I found a screwdriver and managed to take it apart with it still tangled in my hair. Each and every piece had to be removed/detangled individually-- and thrown straight into the trash. :D

JBO
May 6th, 2010, 07:29 PM
2 stories:

1) I was in a play and I had a crap load of hairspray in my hair. Some idiot left a lighter out and the little boy that was in the show started playing with it. I didn't see him behind me and he lit my hair on fire.

2) When I was 8 I was trying to curl my bangs and the brush got stuck. My mom had to cut them off. There was 1" left.

In2wishin
May 6th, 2010, 07:38 PM
My scariest mishap wasn't with my hair (although I did get some caught up with the thread as it was going through the sewing machine) but it was when one of my cats got her tail too close to a candle. The smell was awful and it burned enough that I thought either she was going to set something else on fire or get her skin burned. Thankfully, neither happened!

Amraann
May 6th, 2010, 07:48 PM
I now have to worry about this for the first time. Remember how I killed the old vacuum with my hair a few months ago...? Our new one has this sort of attachment, with a spinning brush. I'll have to get in the habit of being careful!

One of the worst I've actually done was getting a round-brush-type curling iron stuck in my hair. I realized right away that my hair would burn up quickly if I couldn't get it off the iron, and completely panicked. I unplugged the iron, and started pouring cold water on it to cool it quickly. Once it reached a safe temperature, I found a screwdriver and managed to take it apart with it still tangled in my hair. Each and every piece had to be removed/detangled individually-- and thrown straight into the trash. :D

Just bun your hair and you should be OK.
I always left mine down.

Today my neighbors dog bit my hair when I bent down to pet him. (He was being playful not mean and did not harm)

pineconejg
May 6th, 2010, 08:41 PM
When I was 4 I tried to curl my bangs with a comb...

I have had bangs pretty much ever since.

About 2 years ago, I thought I would get a straightening iron and flatten out my naturally flippy ends. After straightening my hair every day for about a week, I was working in the back of my head and I heard a strange zzzt sound. I took the iron off my hair, and there was all this frizzled black hair attached. I burned a chunk out of my hair!

JG

JamieLeigh
May 7th, 2010, 12:15 AM
The home perms of the 1980's were a scary thing all to themselves... But my mom gave me one when I was ten, and there was such a massive knot that involved almost half of my overall circumference, that we had to get it cut to shoulder length. That is when my Mom swore off touching my hair in any way whatsoever.

When I was about 15, a mean person put gum in my hair when I was asleep on the bus during a long school trip. I thought I was going to have to cut it out, but my Mom used peanut butter. :p

As an avid burner of incense, candles and herbs, I have singed my hair more than a few times also...nothing serious, but there aren't a lot of worse smells than singed hair. :eek:

lastnite
May 7th, 2010, 12:26 AM
nothing too major or damaging. my hair caught in a fan once.. I was able to turn the fan off and untangle most of the hair, it made me more careful around fans now.

back in my curling iron days, I was in a rush one morning and after I used it I must of forgot to unplug it. So I went about getting dressed and doing makeup and forgot about the curling iron...then I went to go pick it up by the heating part thinking it was off and had cooled, and it burnt my hand bad, had to keep ice and aloe it for about a week. :silly:

Nenyath
May 7th, 2010, 12:56 AM
-official delurking post-

I remember this deep sense of panic. I have been around 8 or 9, I had waist length hair or a bit more, it was a lovely summer day and I was running around outside in the sunshine, the frisky breeze toying with my hair. Unfortunately I also had chewing gum. One strand got blown at the wrong place at the wrong time, just the wrong time, chewed my gum into my hair at chin length.. The real damage, however, was when I thought I could hide my mishap if I just cut that strand. I couldn't and my mum cut my a little below chin length all the way round, I believe I cried :) The oddest sensation was craning my neck back a little, swishing the evenly cut ends over bare shoulders.. It took me a long time to decide my long hair was holy again!

- Nenyath

Jenn of Pence
May 7th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Oh perms, I almost forgot about perms. It wasn't scary per se, but when I was eight (sometime around 1990) I got a spiral perm...and then got admitted to the hospital a few days later. Nothing like lying on permed hair for a couple of weeks >shudder<.

Magicknthenight
May 8th, 2010, 12:57 AM
nothing too major or damaging. my hair caught in a fan once.. I was able to turn the fan off and untangle most of the hair, it made me more careful around fans now.

back in my curling iron days, I was in a rush one morning and after I used it I must of forgot to unplug it. So I went about getting dressed and doing makeup and forgot about the curling iron...then I went to go pick it up by the heating part thinking it was off and had cooled, and it burnt my hand bad, had to keep ice and aloe it for about a week. :silly:

Oh yea this made me remember something! A long time ago when i was a youngin i had a curling iron. One time i turned it on before i went to bed so it would be ready in the morning.
(Not smart i know! :run:)
My bedroom was in the basement and i didn't really have too many tables so ended up sitting it on the table with my alarm clock...
I'll bet you can see where this ones going :lol:
I ended up burning myself! It was by my alarm so i either grabbed it instead or thought it was off. Like i said it was a long time ago but i still remember shaking my hand off in pain :headache:
I never did curl my hair...

emma907
May 8th, 2010, 07:34 AM
A few years ago I had a shot at trying to thin my own hair out.... using thinning scissors... I got a little scissor happy and my ends from about my shoulders were so straggly that it looked awful..... :S