PDA

View Full Version : Natural, simple please!

violeteyes
May 3rd, 2010, 05:08 PM
So my goal is to go CO during the summer, but I am still going to need something to clarify once in a while. I'm thinking about trying an Earthly Delights shampoo- any body here used these? I'm also looking for some suggestions; I want something that is simple, where there are few ingredients, and all natural. I want to be able to actually read the ingredients label without feeling like I've picked up a product from a different planet :p. I also want a product that has not been tested on animals. Any advice? (I really hope I put this in the right board- I wouldn't really consider this a "conventional products" post, but I apologize if that's where this should be)

-simply Venus-
May 3rd, 2010, 05:57 PM
I just use baking soda to Clarify. =] Extremely simple!

Celtic_Willow
May 3rd, 2010, 06:20 PM
Sorry, I don't know the product you mentioned, but I use a brand called Organix ( Wal-Mart usually has it, that is if you're in the US) and they have a lot of great products; they are cruelty-free, the bottles are made from recycled materials, and their ingredients are pretty simple. I'm not sure if you're a cone-head or not, but I use their clarifying shampoo & conditioner called rejuvenating cherry blossom & bamboo which works great on my wavy hair, but if I remember right I think it has cones. Their coconut milk intensive repair treatment is awesome too, even as a leave in conditioner!

ukuleleclaire
May 3rd, 2010, 06:22 PM
I second the baking soda suggestion. You may also want to try a shampoo bar. You can find quite a few makers on the web that use few/all natural ingredients, and do not animal test.

LawyerGirl
May 3rd, 2010, 06:23 PM
I've used Organix too... it's pretty good (smells great!). A good, simple, inexpensive product I like is the tea tree/mint shampoo and conditioner from Trader Joes.

violeteyes
May 3rd, 2010, 06:32 PM
Baking soda was a DISASTER for my hair :( it made it tangled and so dry that I had to practically nurse it back to health! On the cone matter, I went cone free about a month ago and so far, its working great. For me, cones in a shampoo, particularly a "clarifying" shampoo, kind of defeats the purpose.

Anje
May 3rd, 2010, 06:44 PM
Clarifying tends to require either SLS or baking soda.

Given how baking soda reacts with my hair (dry, tangly, all the scales of the hair stand on end), I think I'd opt for SLS, even if it's not entirely natural. (SLS can be derived from coconut oil, though, if that helps?)

If you're using a cone-free conditioner, it's possible you won't have to clarify. Of course, this depends on your choice of conditioner, your water, and your hair. I can go ages without clarifying using a conditioner that other people say makes their hair feel waxy after a few washes. YMMV.

ETA: It's not technically "clarifying", but it's worth trying a vinegar rinse if your hair misbehaves a bit. Sometimes that's sufficient to remove what has built up on your hair, again depending on lots of variables.

Carolyn
May 3rd, 2010, 06:46 PM
Baking soda can leave your hair a stripped dried out mess. I know the purpose of clarifying is to strip the gunk off the hair but BS was awful on my hair. Suave Daily Clarifying worked much better for me. My favorites are a clarifier by Rusk and one by Phillip B.

violeteyes
May 3rd, 2010, 06:53 PM
I'll check some of these out :). I don't really feel like something must have a "harsh" product in it to clarify- just something that will get the built up gunk out : P I have a very very oily scalp, so I think I might find myself clarifying often.

princessp
May 3rd, 2010, 08:31 PM
I have Alba clarifying shampoo and it seems to do the job well.

Ingredients: Purified water, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, cocamidopropyl betaine, sodium cocoyl isethionate, sodium lauryl sulfoacetate, sodium cocoyl glutamate, vegetable glycerin, soyamidopropylkonium chloride, hydroxyethylcellulose, euterpe oleracea (acai) fruit oil, carapa guaianensis (andiroba) seed oil, pentaclethra filamentosa (pracaxi) oil, passiflora edulis (maracuja) fruit oil, glycereth-7 cocoate, camellia sinensis leaf, certified organic calendula officinalis flower, chamomilla recutita (matricaria) flower and lavandula angustifolia, panthenol, mica, titanium dioxide, sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate, ethylhexylglycerin, fragrance.

Free Of:
Sodium Lauryl sulfate or sodium laureth sulfate, paraben preservatives or phthalates, artificial colors or silicones. Not tested on animals.