PDA

View Full Version : Catnip for split ends?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

MadPirateBippy
March 10th, 2008, 07:27 PM
First, I'm SO GLAD the boards are back. I almost cried when they went down. Yay!

Second, I remembered (and even, in my own journal) that someone said that catnip can help stop spilt ends. Well, my hair has started splitting like crazy (I just got to lower back and am heading towards tailbone- it's completely changing how my ends act).

What, exactly, should I DO with said catnip to make it help my hair? I have been playing with the bag but I don't think that's what needs to happen.

Should I make a vinegar rinse with it? Steep catnip tea? Stew it in alcohol? Run it through as a rinse? Use it as a leave-in spray? Eat it?

I have catnip. I have split ends. I wish to somehow combine the two so the former prevents the latter. Help!

Raederle
March 10th, 2008, 07:31 PM
ktani, please pick up the white courtesy phone.

ktani
March 10th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Raederle

Update: I wrote a catnip Article, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118 which may make things easier to understand.

Copy that.

Ok - you make an infusion of catnip.

I have a sensitive scalp and my ends were dry so I do not want to make the catnip astringent. My hair is no longer dry.

I use 1 level tsp of cut and sifted catnip to over 250ml under 300ml boiled water.

I make mine in a bone china mug from the dollar store.

Catnip needs to be covered and steeped, never boiled.

I cover my mug with a bone china demitasse saucer. Covering it preserves the volatile oils.

I now buy my catnip - organic - from a pet store - it is fresher bought in see through containers than bulk which I used to buy from a health food store.

Let it steep for 30 minutes - you can steep it longer than that.

Then I deactivate it buy straining it into a 2nd mug to cool down, cover it and let it completely cool. When I uncover to strain, I tap the condensation from the inside of the saucer on my finger back into the mug - I do this each time.

I then strain it into a creamer - easier to pour - and strain a 3rd and final time into a washed out shampoo bottle and store in the fridge until use.

It will keep refridgerated 7-10 days.

I do not use the full amount on my hair each time - I use the remainder on my skin - face and hands.

Ok - method

I am covering grey/white as well as conditioning so I apply on freshly washed hair - hair forward - or upsidedown in the shower.

I apply small amounts - poured into my hand and applied contiuously to the back, sides and top underside plus the length - pin it up and bag it for 1/2 and hour.

I then take it down, and apply catnip to the front sides, top, and top back, leaving the length down and rebag it, leaving the length out of the bag - another 1/2 hour.

I then remove the bag - apply some more to my greyer areas, let it cool down and rinse.

Catnip does not build-up if it is washed, I find. I use shampoo - it removes enough that the only thing I use to condition is the catnip.

I have less breakage than ever before with this herb and method and I have no split ends - which I did used to get.

ktani
March 10th, 2008, 08:38 PM
MadPirateBippy

If you are not using catnip to colour - it yields a light yellow dye - not red/yellow, not brown/yellow - light yellow, apply to your hair all at once - I have never used the pouring it over the hair 15 times and catching it in a bowl method.

Applying it a little at a time more than once to saturate the hair thoroughly works for me with no mess or waste.

If you want to condition after - use a smaller amount of conditioner than normal - you will find that you need less.

Catnip will not stain over conditioner - it blocks the colour.

MadPirateBippy
March 10th, 2008, 08:55 PM
My hair is a dark brown/red, so I am not worried about the light yellow staining it. I figured the blond won't stick around, and I only have three or four silver hairs, so I'm not worried about those either.

Should I be?

ktani
March 10th, 2008, 08:58 PM
MadPirateBippy

No worries - catnip dye is not permanent - I reapply it every time I wash my hair - the colour does not completely wash out each time by any means but it would wash out eventually.

Stagecoach
March 11th, 2008, 06:49 AM
This topic facinates me as I have loads of splits for not apparent reasons ( My hair is moisturized, virgin and I keep it in updos most of the time)

Do you think it would be effective if I kept a strong solution in a spray bottle and misted my hair with it on a daily basis?

ktani
March 11th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Stagecoach

I initially tried catnip all sorts of ways including misting it on and using it as a leave-in on my ends.

It can be slightly sticky not rinsed out and I did not find it helpful at all sprayed on the hair.

The key I believe is body heat - bagging it and definitely the timing - an hour all together, although iris used it for less time - I think 15 minutes or so and found that to be conditioning enough for her purposes.

It depends on your hair and what you need and want it to do.

I find I need the extra time for the colour although I may experiment with less time now that my hair is in so much better condition than before I started using catnip over 2 years ago.

Stagecoach
March 11th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Ok, thank you ktani!

ktani
March 25th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I continue to experiment with catnip - not for conditioning but to intensify the colour.

I have discovered this.

Catnip from the pet store is fresher. You can still get organic.
It is more expensive than bulk but it is better quality, IMO.

It is sold in closed containers and usually has a higher turnover than bulk.

For more intense colour - steep the catnip longer than 30 minutes - the last batch I did - I steeped it for almost an hour.
The colour is a darker yellow (not gold or brown or reddish) and is still a light yellow on the hair - I just get better grey/white coverage.

Wavelength
March 25th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Wow -- this is really interesting. I had no idea catnip would do more than stain the hair. Any idea why it conditions and strengthens? Is it a property of the volatile oil?

Morag
March 25th, 2008, 09:22 AM
ktani, I have seen a similar process recommended for horsetail. Have you tried horsetail as well? Can you tell me how it differs from catnip?

Thanks!

ktani
March 25th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Wavelength

Catnip also contains fixed oil and pantothenic acid.

One of my links - I keep a research stash. The catnip I buy is the leaves and flowers - that is how it is sold for the most part - the flowers contain more oils than the leaves.
http://www.monroecountymi.net/Medical%20Resources/Herbs%20&%20Vitamins/Herbs/catnip.htm

I am not sure exactly how it works but it does.

I got conditioning benefits from it straight away but I wanted more.

I have been using it for over 2 years now and within the first year - I forget at which point - I no longer got split ends.

I think I did find one tiny one in the last year or so.

Conditioners never did that for me.

It did take a while for me to get to where I am now - my hair is softer, shinier and most importantly for me - my ends no longer taper between trims.

I still get some breakage - catnip is not a miracle - but I have less breakage than I have ever had before.

Catnip will not stain over conditioner - I have sensitivity to many chemicals and I was determined to see if I could get catnip to the point where I would not need conditioner - I did.

ktani
March 25th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Morag

I have never tried Equisetum arvense or horsetail.

The one thing I do before I try any plant is check out the constituents the same way I read ingredient labels - and of course check out its safety or toxicity.

After chamomile and my linden tea disaster, I avoid these things in a plant - mucilage, polysaccharides, resins - all of them can build up on hair.

Horsetail, from my research contains both mucilage and resin. Linden tea contains mucilage. Catnip contains none of the above.

I did find one reference on catnip that said it contains mucilage but only one reference and from my results - I would say that the amount is insignificant.

Chamomile built-up on my hair - breakage city and dryness (German chamomile, Matricaria recutita - the one I used, contains polysaccharides - Roman chamomile, Anthemis nobilis - which I never tried on my hair, contains resin). I was using 8-10 teabags at a time though, for colour.

So, part of what makes catnip work so well for me is that it does not have anything in it that would require me to clarify.

Enough of the catnip washes out with just shampoo so that I can reapply it each time I wash and get colour and conditioning.

From my experience, in reading constituent listings, if a constituent is in a high enough percentage, it shows up in more than one reference and is considered an "active ingredient". Apparently, mucilage is in most plants - it is the amount that makes the difference for use on hair, IMO.

You have to find what works best for you.

GoldLady
March 26th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Thanks for all the info on preparation and application, Ktani! I tried it and am happy with the results. It gave my fine hair fullness as well as making it a little brighter.

I am wondering if anyone has tried adding a little 'catnip tea' to their cassia mixtures? I have had good results using chamomile tea in cassia obovata (with a squirt of conditioner and a few drops of olive oil). Cassia also made my hair a little fuller, the color a really nice, deeper gold.

I may try this tomorrow and post results if this is a new experiment!

ktani
March 26th, 2008, 12:16 PM
GoldLady

I am glad to hear that you are so pleased with catnip.

My hair is fine/medium - catnip not only makes it fuller but increases my natural wave pattern - something conditioners never did.

Stagecoach
March 26th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I haven't gotten around to purchasing any cat nip yet, but I did have one more question.

Do you think it would effect my hair color? (Dark, dirty blonde/light brown.)

ktani
March 26th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Stagecoach

Catnip does not lighten hair - it is can and does stain my hair light blonde and cover my grey/white.

It might "brighten" your hair a bit but probably not much.

I have some natural copper tones in my hair - they seem less deep in colour than before - but that is probably because I no longer use products with any dark colours in them - my shampoo is light yellow.

When my hair was very dry - years ago - it tended to absorb FD&C colours from products not designed to deposit colour.

iris
March 26th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Stagecoach, my natural color is similar to yours, and catnip didn't change it. I wasn't using the catnip the way ktani does, though. She leaves it on for a long time to get the color, I just left it on for five minutes or so.

I got PLENTY of conditioning by leaving it on for only five minutes. In fact, my length became extremely oily after a week of so of using catnip for five minutes a day (I was washing daily, I never shampoo my length, just the roots/scalp, and I was using the catnip every day instead of conditioner). I was baffled at how oily it apparently was. If I were to use catnip regularly (too lazy right now) I should either shampoo the length, like ktani does, or not use catnip every day.

So, you don't need to keep it in for long to get the conditioning, and if you don't keep it in for long you also won't get a lot of color, if any.

Iris

Stagecoach
March 26th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Thank you Iris and Katini!!!

ktani
March 26th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Stagecoach

When I first started using catnip, I applied it like conditioner in the shower and left it on, uncovered about 10-15 minutes or so - it did give me some colour but not a lot.

I had a build-up of linden tea on my hair at the time though.

I did not find that it made my hair that oily but I do shampoo my length every time - just by working the lather from my scalp down the length and squeezing it through the length and ends, not adding separate shampoo to the canopy or ends. I only lather once and do not use too much shampoo.

I find dilution does matter too - I started out with a heaping tsp to a cup of water then a level tsp to 250 ml and for a long while now - 1 level tsp to over 250 ml just under 300 ml of boiled water.

More dilution means less astringency and my hair does not get stringy - the lower dilutions did cause a bit of stringiness way back.

ColoradoDreamer
March 26th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Okay, dumb question time. I have 8 cats. If I use a catnip infusion in my hair, will the furkids be into my hair all the time?

ktani
March 26th, 2008, 03:28 PM
ColoradoDreamer

That is not a dumb question at all - it has come up several times before.

I have visited friends with my hair freshly washed (when any catnip odour would be the strongest, if it was there) and their multiple cats have not been interested in my hair at all.

When you do the infusion - the catnip needs to be covered.

When it is brewed, it has minimal odour.

When it is rinsed from the hair - there is no odour left in the hair.

MoonCreature
March 26th, 2008, 05:04 PM
This sounds interesting.. And if the cats are unaffected I think I'll give it a go! Having four cats rolling in my hair isn't the ideal situation. I do however need to find a way to prepare the catnipe behind locked doors. :p

ktani
March 26th, 2008, 05:25 PM
MoonCreature

If your catnip is in a sealed container - you should be ok.

From the container to the mug - yes - probably a good idea to be cat free.

Once the mug is covered - you should be fine.

ktani
March 26th, 2008, 06:03 PM
My next experiment is steeping the catnip until it cools down and not deactivating it into a second mug.

I want to see how that affects the colour.

I read on one site that you can steep it for 6 hours but that was for making it as a medicinal beverage - too long for me - cool down should be about 1.5 to 2 hours.

I will report back as to how that goes.

birdiefu
March 26th, 2008, 07:59 PM
How do you all think catnip EO would work? I have some (super bug repellent, but pricey) and was wondering if a dilution of the EO would give the same split-resistance as a tea. Or is most of the benefits in the water-soluble components of catnip, you think?

ktani
March 26th, 2008, 08:26 PM
birdiefu

An EO is much much stronger than the oil in a plant from what I have read.

I definitely think that all of the components of catnip working together, not a single one, give me the results I have gotten.

ColoradoDreamer
March 26th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Hmmm. I just might have to raid the furkids' stash!

ktani
March 27th, 2008, 07:55 AM
There is another reason I believe pet store catnip is better - quality control.

While bulk catnip was my first choice for a long time, it proved unreliable even though the store I bought most of it from is excellent.

Pet supply companies are in a very competitive field and need to ensure that the quality is there.

Aside from the pet food recalls of late I think that this does apply.

There have been enough human food recalls not to challenge that.

If a pet store does brisk business the catnip turnover should be fairly high.

But more importantly - a company's product better sell well and be good quality or it can very easily be replaced.

So, sealed containers, fresher catnip to begin with from companies who specialize in being in the pet supply market (quality control) and higher turnover = better catnip IMO.

ktani
March 27th, 2008, 08:05 AM
One more point.

Pet suppliers specialize their catnip - you can buy leaves only, buds only, (the ariel parts with flowers), and cut and sifted leaves and flowers which I buy.

Cut and sifted leaves and flowers are usally cheaper and that is what I use and have used from the beginning - no need to spend extra money on the specialized, more expensive goods.

The flowers as I have said, contain more oils than the leaves.

ktani
March 27th, 2008, 08:24 AM
I spoke with a catnip wholesaler a while back - a catnip farmer.

He turned out to be a chemist as well.

The catnip leaves contain the yellow dye itself, which is actually a tannin. Tannins are astringent.

The flowers, he confirmed, do contain more of the oils.

From icydove's report on using leaves only being drying, although she used about 6 times more than I use in a batch, I will still go with leaves and flowers mixed - I want colour and conditioning. The tannin leaf content, unbalanced by the leaves not being mixed with flowers, may account in some part for the dryness.

Catnip stems - useless, although there are 2 kinds - the ones from the leaves - small and fine and the larger ones - which should not be too plentiful IMO, in a mix.

ktani
March 27th, 2008, 08:35 AM
What you prepare the catnip in.

I wanted to figure out the best, most herb friendly method.

From everything I have read on herbs, they should never be prepared in metal - stainless steel being the exception.

But stainless steel can react with acids. Catnip is acidic - pH approximately 6.

So, while I use a stainless tea strainer, I prepare my catnip in porcelin - bone china to be exact.

Bone china was a fluke - a dollar store find - but it turns out to be a bonus - bone china retains heat better than other porcelin and is lighter in weight - more convenient and easier for me to use.

ktani
March 27th, 2008, 08:54 AM
For people in countries where pet stores do not sell loose catnip (in plastic containers or bags - same thing IMO) or the catnip you want, pet store catnip can still translate. I have seen catnip sold in tins (I am not sure how that would affect dried catnip) - not for me and it was priced outrageously.

Order online from a large pet store chain that ships internationally or a pet store supplier that ships to individuals.

ktani
March 27th, 2008, 09:52 AM
I probably did not mention this.

When I make the catnip it is usually in advance - not more than a day or so but it does keep refridgerated up to 10 days.

Before I use it - I let it warm up to room temperature - I do not add heat.

The logic - that when I apply it for colour - I do not want the coldness to close the cuticle down even more than the acidity of it and not allow the colour to stain as much as possible.

ktani
March 27th, 2008, 12:02 PM
One thing I have always done with a herb rinse, including catnip is shake it before applying it - catnip does not separate to my knowledge but shaking it is a habit for me.

I think my logic way back pre-catnip was to make sure that the oils are distributed evenly - in any case it cannot hurt to do it.

Stagecoach
March 28th, 2008, 03:42 PM
ok, so my local two pet stores did not carry fresh catnip, only dry stuff. I know we have a couple catnip plants on the property, but they are not growing yet.

So, I picked up some dried stuff.. but it claims to be very good quality, so we'll see how it goes. I'm gonna try and use it every wash for the next few months and see if it lowers my splits... I know I"ll notice within a couple months if it's cutting it for me.

I think what I'll do is braid my hair, and soak my braid in the catnip tea, the bun it and put a plastic cap over my bun, and leave that for about 1/2 hour.

Stagecoach
March 28th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Oh and I wanted to add, thank you Ktani for your detailed directions! They're a big help. :flowers:

ktani
March 28th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Stagecoach

You are welcome.

I use dried catnip - cut and sifted leaves and flowers.

I have never seen it fresh anywhere I have bought it.

Sorry I left that out and you were confused by the ommission.

Stagecoach
March 28th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Oh ok, my misunderstanding! Well, I'm glad to know I've got the right stuff! I've checked it, and it has the flowers with it too! I can hardly wait for wash day to come around so I can give this a shot!

So you think if I made a very strong tea and mixed it with my conditioner that might do the same?

ktani
March 28th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Stagecoach

That depends on what you are trying to do - colour? - probably not.

It replaces conditioner for me and as I said does not colour over conditioner.

Experiment with it - see how it works for you.

If you just want conditioning - try it without conditioner - see how your hair feels when you rinse it out and then decide if you need conditioner afterward - if you do you will probably need less conditioner than you normally would.

ktani
March 28th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Stagecoach

I do not recommend making the catnip stronger than the dilution I stated - catnip gets astringent at lower dilutions.

ktani
March 29th, 2008, 12:01 PM
MadPirateBippy

I never addressed you inquiry about vinegar - sorry about that.

Waaaaaaaay back when I started to play with my recipe I tried adulterating catnip with both vinegar and oil separately and together.

I found that catnip works better straight - the dilution and the timing are what made the difference - it needs nothing added to it, IMO.

I tried it as a leave-in too as I have said - it can be slightly sticky that way and is not as effective both for colouring and conditioning - it is much much better rinsed out after using it the way I have described.

ktani
March 29th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I did a thorough s&d last night.

I have a love/hate relationship with s&d's.

They are necessary IMO, to cut down on tangling and cuticle stress but I absolutely hate trimming off white dots - I still have 0 split ends.

Well, I have been stretching out s&d's and when I had last washed my hair I did not detangle as well as I should have. I had a number of bent ends from manipulation and thowing my hair up without smoothing it properly - not sharp bends just bends.

That would have meant more breakage in the past - not anymore - my hair is much much stronger over all - I knew that by my ends not tapering but extra proof is always good. The breakage was less than in the recent past.

The pet store catnip, which I have been using over 2 months now has proven itsef - my hair is in even better shape than before I started using it.

ktani
March 29th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Just a reminder

I recommended catnip to someone without thinking about the possibility a while back, and they broke out in an itchy rash when they used it.

Anyone can be allergic to anything.

Catnip has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. However, it is wise IMO, when trying out anything new, to do a patch test first.

Nynaeve
March 29th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Stagecoach, my natural color is similar to yours, and catnip didn't change it. I wasn't using the catnip the way ktani does, though. She leaves it on for a long time to get the color, I just left it on for five minutes or so.

I got PLENTY of conditioning by leaving it on for only five minutes. In fact, my length became extremely oily after a week of so of using catnip for five minutes a day (I was washing daily, I never shampoo my length, just the roots/scalp, and I was using the catnip every day instead of conditioner). I was baffled at how oily it apparently was. If I were to use catnip regularly (too lazy right now) I should either shampoo the length, like ktani does, or not use catnip every day.

So, you don't need to keep it in for long to get the conditioning, and if you don't keep it in for long you also won't get a lot of color, if any.

Iris

Interesting.
How do you ladies think the catnip would do with an infrequent CO?
I'm not ALL that concerned with oil, because I CO infrequently enough to not worry about it anymore, and I'm certainly not concerned about it staining my hair, hence my hair is dark enough brown/black to photograph as vaguely purple, but I wonder how much benefit one would get using it... maybe once a week?

ktani
March 29th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Nynaeve

Since you are not using catnip to stain - I think you should be fine - it depends on what you expect it to do.

I use catnip on freshly washed hair and wash my length each time before reapplying it. It is all I use to condition my hair.

When I get my hair trimmed every 4-5 months, I have my stylist apply conditioner to wet hair. I wash it at home, apply the catnip as usual and bring my own conditioner (I am sensitive to a number of shampoos and conditioners). My stylist is not as gentle on my hair as I am - it is just extra protection. That is the only time conditioner touches my hair. He does not apply much conditioner and it is not left on the hair to soak in.

So, the small amount of conditioner applied is washed out out pretty much the next time I wash my hair.

Sometimes that has affected the catnip staining and the conditioning (some of the conditioners I have taken with me wash out less easily than others) but not for long.

Try it and see.

Suldrun
March 29th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Hi everyone

I Henna my hair because it is very thin and breaks easily. My hair is between APL ans BSL and I have yet to find splits but I know that as my hair gets longer it will become an issue even with henna. Can I use catnip over henna? Will it do anything? I want to take very good care of my hair because I want to find out what my terminal length is.

Thanks
Suldrun

iris
March 29th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Nynaeve, I feel that for me, catnip doesn't work all that great over conditioner. It makes my hair feel coated if I use it over conditioner, and it takes a few washes for that feeling to go away. But I tend to use very waxy conditioners, and as I said I don't shampoo the length, so it takes awhile for me to get rid of conditioner residue. I can imagine it would be different with a thinner conditioner.

I don't see how it could hurt to try.

Suldrun, sure, my length is hennaed and catnip does fine over it.

I just think of catnip as something you can use instead of/ as a conditioner. So you can do everything with catnip that you'd do with any conditioner - use it together with another conditioner, use it over henna, etc.

Iris

Suldrun
March 29th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Iris

Thanks I want to use everything I can to prevent splits and breakage. When I was in HS I rarely cut my hair and it never grew past BSL due to breakage. With LHC my hair is almost to BSL and already looks so much thicker and healthier (love henna) that I actually am beginning to believe I can grow longer.

I will be raiding kitties stash soon:)

ktani
March 29th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Suldrun

I agree with iris - however I cannot say that it will reduce your split ends used over conditioner, with conditioner or over henna - which also coats the hair.

Will catnip help? - probably.

Can it strengthen hair? - from my experience, on my hair, used the way I use it - definitely.

My experince is just using it differently with nothing else used on my hair except shampoo and right now - a bit of conditioner used once in 4 or 5 months.

Stagecoach
March 29th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Well, so far I've very very pleased with catnip!

I let it soak on my braid for about 35 minutes this morning, and I conditioned with just a little bit of my conditioner and my hair is SOOOOO soft and amazing! I hope this keeps up!

ktani
March 29th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Stagecoach

I am so pleased that it is working for you.

I am not saying people have to use it the way I do - using it differently for different reasons is uncharted territory for me.

Different conditioners work differently - see how things go - if it continues the way you say it is going you may well find that your split ends are reduced.

The more feedback that comes in, the more will be known about how catnip works with different methods.

Stagecoach
March 30th, 2008, 08:21 AM
[b]Ktani[/b, a BIG thank you to you for all your tips and advice!

If I keep getting these great results, I imagine that after a couple months I'll quite using conditioner... but for right now I think my hair is still to dry to go totaly without. But I'm hoping that once I get enough catnip treatments on my hair, I can leave conditioner for good! YAYAYAYAY because catnip is SOOO much cheaper!

ktani
March 30th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Stagecoach

You are most welcome.

Catnip is so much less expensive - and my scalp loves it as much if not more than my hair does.

Try some on your face - it is wonderful on skin - I wash my face with it in the mornings - anything that you put on your face afterward - glides on - and your skin will be so soft.

No need to let it soak in - just apply it, smooth it all over and rinse.

Morag
March 31st, 2008, 07:09 PM
Morag

I have never tried Equisetum arvense or horsetail.

The one thing I do before I try any plant is check out the constituents the same way I read ingredient labels - ... mucilage, polysacharrides, resins - ... Catnip contains none of the above.

Thank you, ktani! That's very helpful.

Wavelength - thanks for the link!

Nynaeve
April 1st, 2008, 02:10 PM
I have purchased some organic catnip. It will be a few days before I feel that I can successfully try this without drying my hair out too badly.

Do you find it to have an oily or drying effect on your scalp? Is it something i should use ONLY on my length?

iris
April 1st, 2008, 03:13 PM
Nynaeve, I find catnip just oily. The oiliness only comes out when I do repeated rinses (without washing the length) and the oils build up, - just doing one rinse does not make my hair or scalp oily. But not dry either. The opposite of dry, actually. I find it hard to imagine that anyone could find it drying.

You can use it on your scalp and your length alike, whatever you feel like. You'll have to find out how it works for you.

Remember, though, that if you make the tea too strong, it can become drying. I use ktani's proportions: one level teaspoon dried catnip to 275 ml water. A level teaspoon is not a lot of herb. I remember thinking it was almost nothing at all, the first time I made the infusion.

It's the opposite of drying when used in that dilution, in my experience.

Iris

Nynaeve
April 1st, 2008, 04:03 PM
Nynaeve, I find catnip just oily. The oiliness only comes out when I do repeated rinses (without washing the length) and the oils build up, - just doing one rinse does not make my hair or scalp oily. But not dry either. The opposite of dry, actually. I find it hard to imagine that anyone could find it drying.

You can use it on your scalp and your length alike, whatever you feel like. You'll have to find out how it works for you.

Remember, though, that if you make the tea too strong, it can become drying. I use ktani's proportions: one level teaspoon dried catnip to 275 ml water. A level teaspoon is not a lot of herb. I remember thinking it was almost nothing at all, the first time I made the infusion.

It's the opposite of drying when used in that dilution, in my experience.

Iris

Thanks.
I'll probably end up trying it out either by itself or with only a tiny bit of condish after when I try it.

ktani
April 1st, 2008, 04:03 PM
Nynaeve

I agree with iris, both my scalp and my hair are not dry with the dilution mentioned.

My hair does get oily about the 4th or 5th day if I stretch out a wash but not before then - I do wash the length each time though.

ktani
April 2nd, 2008, 07:51 AM
I have done my first catnip rinse with letting the catnip brew until cool down, not deactivating at the 30 minute or a bit longer mark.

Last time I let it brew almost an hour.

Both times the conclusion - is the same.

It has made no difference to the conditioning but the colour is more intense.

It saves me an extra step - so I see no reason to steep the infusion for only 30 minutes, deactivaate and have one more thing to do by that step.

Girltron
April 2nd, 2008, 09:50 AM
What do you experts think about using fresh catnip? I grow it, and I better find a good use for the stuff before it takes over my lawn.

My difficulty is I don't have enough time to sit around for an hour or so on wash day. What if I saturated my hair the night before wash day? Would the color just come right out when I shampooed?

ktani
April 2nd, 2008, 10:01 AM
Girltron

The colour does wash out - but not all of it - at least for me - it depends on whether you are trying to cover grey.

I have never tried fresh catnip - it you do try it - use the flowers and leaves.

I would love to know how it works for you.

Girltron
April 2nd, 2008, 10:34 AM
I'll try this summer's worth of test period. I figure color buildup and split prevention might take that long to become noticeable. I'll keep you informed!

ktani
April 2nd, 2008, 10:39 AM
Girltron

I got colour right away - but it took a while to get consistant colour and grey/white coverage.

Wavelength
April 5th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I generally pick fresh catnip for my cats during the summer months. It grows wild around here.

Generally speaking, when one is making an infusion, you need about 3x the amount of fresh herb in order to get the same result as you would if you were using dried. The reason is that with fresh herb, you have a lot more natural water content. Dry herbs are more concentrated.

Having said that, it's not always true. Catnip is part of the mint family, and generally mints distribute more essential oils when they're used fresh. Peppermint tea when made with freshly crushed herb tends to be stronger than tea made with dried peppermint. Depending how it's dried, some of the oils can be lost in the process. One of the reasons you should never boil mints is that their essential oils are volatile, meaning the oils will evaporate right out when boiled, leaving almost nothing behind. If you boil peppermint tea instead of steeping it, you end up with very bland-tasting hot water.

So as to how fresh catnip would work, I can see it going either way. Might be very interesting to try!

I'm more interested in the conditioning aspects than the colour. My hair is dark auburn that I brighten up with henna, so I'm sure any stain from the catnip would be impossible to see. But I do get a ton of splits now that my hair is approaching tailbone, and winter is always more drying. It's early spring now and I'm seeing splits all over the place! It would be wonderful to find something that reduces them, and our pet store sells some good organic catnip.

I've made an infusion today and I'm going to apply it to my hair when I wash it later on. I'll report back on how it goes! :D

ktani
April 5th, 2008, 12:25 PM
I look forward to reading your results.

And thank you for the fresh herb tips.

From everything I have read, flower herbs and most leaves are never to be boiled - just steeped.

Roots and barks can be boiled.

Wavelength
April 5th, 2008, 12:28 PM
I do CO to wash though -- I don't think I even own any shampoo. So not sure if my hair will feel coated or not. We'll see!

Wavelength
April 5th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Okay, I have just come out of the shower. I did an SMT but my hair came out of it feeling very clean, so I don't think there was much conditioner residue left behind. My hair is used to CO washes anyway.

I rinsed my hair thoroughly, filled a small plastic tub with the catnip infusion, and dunked my hair in it up to the ears. I let it soak for a minute or two, then twisted my hair into a loose bun in the shower and pinned it. I did not rinse my hair after I dunked it in the catnip. I'm going to leave the catnip to soak in my bun for awhile, and then rinse again and see what results.

Thanks Stagecoach for posting about your catnip-soaked braided bun -- that's what gave me the idea!

ktani
April 5th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Wavelength

For extra or deeper conditioning, you could cover your hair bun with plastic, let it cool down when you remove the plastic, then rinse it out.

Wavelength
April 5th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Hi ktani,

Yes I realize that, but I had some errands to run today, and I didn't really want to leave the house with plastic over my updo. So I just damp-bunned (actually, more like wet-bunned) my hair and put a thick velvet scrunchie on it to retain some of the moisture.

It worked pretty well actually -- by the time I got home, it was still quite damp. The catnip has been in my hair for over two hours. I just rinsed it out and I can feel a difference already. I'll report back once it's dry. :)

ktani
April 5th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Wavelength

Plastic is not a hair accessory, lol.

I look forward to reading how it goes.

Wavelength
April 5th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Well, the verdict is... undecided. :shrug:

I let my hair dry most of the way and put a little bit of coconut oil on the ends like I usually do. As I was combing it out I felt the texture to see if there was any obvious changes. It didn't feel particularly softer -- but it felt smoother, and slightly more springy than usual when it's damp. Hopefully this means my hair has been strengthened and the cuticle is laying flatter, but I won't really be sure until I try a few more treatments.

I'm wondering if I made the infusion a bit strong and had some astringency. I wasn't very exact on the measurements.

I still have plenty of catnip infusion left, so I'll keep up with the rinses and see what happens.

Thanks for all your help, ktani! :flowers:

ktani
April 5th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Wavelength

You are most welcome.

It may take several treatments to get the desired result.

I know the temptation is there but I do not recommend a stronger infusion - from my results - the astringency increase resulted in drier hair - nothing drastic but I did not like it.

Since I also use the leftover catnip on my skin - I found the 1 level tsp to about 275 ml of water perfect for both.

Wavelength
April 5th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Yes, from what I read earlier my suspicion is that I accidentally made mine too strong.

Next time I'll dilute it and see if there's improvement.

jesamyn
April 5th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Any thoughts on using a tea ball for steeping? It would certainly make straining easier. They come in stainless steel, and I've used them successfully for making rosemary 'tea'. I wouldn't think there would be a reaction, but I am curious whether anyone has thoughts.

I have some catnip stewing (didn't think about using my teaball until after I dumped it in loose). I have this idea that I might use it for henna liquid. :)

ktani
April 6th, 2008, 06:42 AM
jesamyn

I have thought about a tea ball but stainless steel can react with acids and catnip is acidic so I never tried it.

Please post how that goes if you try it.

jesamyn
April 6th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Will do. I'd used the batch that I did yesterday as henna liquid. Unfortunately, I slept a LOT longer than normal, and my henna batch demised. :rant: While my hair isn't really split or dry, I think I might just try this as a rinse today for the heck of it.

atlantaz3
April 7th, 2008, 07:50 AM
I'd love to try this for splits but not so much for the color. I'm worred that this will stain over my highlights. Yes I read it washes out next shampoo or next few shampoos - but my hair tends to take to color really really well (and quickly). Is there any way to get the conditioning with out the coloring?

ktani
April 7th, 2008, 07:57 AM
atlantaz3

Not that I know of but the colour is a light blonde.

I suggest doing a strand test first on one of your lightest hi-lights, in a place on your hair that is not too obvious.

Raederle
April 7th, 2008, 08:21 AM
As you know, my catnip tea is resting in the refrigerator until tomorrow afternoon. But I still have a few questions:

I know you let it warm to room temperature. Is there any benefit to heating it carefully, double boiler style?
Do you apply to scalp?
I'm thinking of doing a vinegar rinse both before and after. Normally, I do vinegar as my final rinse, then rinse that out. Do I need to?
Are conditioning benefits increased by leaving warm and bagged for, say a half hour, or is that mainly for color?

ktani
April 7th, 2008, 08:33 AM
As you know, my catnip tea is resting in the refrigerator until tomorrow afternoon. But I still have a few questions:

I know you let it warm to room temperature. Is there any benefit to heating it carefully, double boiler style?
Do you apply to scalp?
I'm thinking of doing a vinegar rinse both before and after. Normally, I do vinegar as my final rinse, then rinse that out. Do I need to?
Are conditioning benefits increased by leaving warm and bagged for, say a half hour, or is that mainly for color?

Excellent questions all, Raederle - I obviously still left some things out of this version of a catnip thread - thank you.

I would not reheat it - that could affect it somehow - it is an unknown - I have never done that.

Catnip is a specific for scalp irritation - I soak in it during the process of it being on my hair and definitely my scalp.

Catnip contains acetic acid, along with many other constituents - white vinegar is acetic acid - diluted in water. The pH of catnip is appoximately 6.

I do not think that you need to do a vinegar rinse at all - see how it goes.

See "White" vinegar - it can have salt in it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinegar

I use, as I have said, the leaves and flowers.

Catnip leaf constituents
"Acetic acid, ......."
http://www.monroecountymi.net/Medical%20Resources/Herbs%20&%20Vitamins/Herbs/catnip.htm

The conditioning benefits are definitely increased with the extra time as well as the colour - just with body heat, bagged.

It was the extra time that gave me the conditioning I needed.

The disapearance of split ends happened with less time but the full conditioning benefits for me happened with more time.

I now have less breakage than ever before. The reduction of breakage to the extent I have now - happened with more time.

Raederle
April 7th, 2008, 09:00 AM
So, I'm taking it that the vinegar rinse, whose purpose is to remove any mineral residue, is unnecessary?

ktani
April 7th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Raederle

Catnip for me only became very slightly sticky when left in.

I wash my length each time with the lather from my scalp - not added shampoo.

Catnip does not build-up on my hair with the routine I use, even though the colour does not all wash out each time.

I have no residue problem or crunchy, dry ends.

With all of the different routines used by others, I cannot say what the results will be.

Try it without the vinegar rinse afterward, first.

You may need one before you try it, to help reduce conditioner residue or clarify if you think you need it.

jesamyn
April 7th, 2008, 12:13 PM
I tried my catnip-in-a-teaball. It looked about the same as the prior attempt without a tea ball. I brewed it at 1 tsp catnip to 275ml of water. I heated the water and popped the catnip in (in a tea ball), then covered it and let it sit for several hours. I let it sit until I needed it, at which point it was quite cool. I got a vaguely yellowy-green liquid without much color to it. I then proceeded to mix it with henna. I decided to post the full results in a separate thread here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=52880#post52880).

The smell was still in the liquid, btw. :P

ktani
April 7th, 2008, 12:33 PM
jesamyn

There is a faint odour in the liquid and sometimes when my hair is wet but not when it is dry.

No cat belonging to friends of mine and all of their cats love catnip - has ever responded to my freshly washed hair and even though I am allergic to cats - I love them and play with them - I have to be careful to wash my hands afterward and not touch my face or eyes - I get very close to them.

I have no experience with catnip and henna.

jesamyn
April 7th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I'm guessing it's the mix of catnip and henna, and she's a weird cat. :) I also considered that it might have had something to do with the stainless steel, which is why I reported it.

ktani
April 7th, 2008, 02:58 PM
jesamyn

Your cat is not weird IMO - she no doubt smelled the catnip around the plastic - some probably dripped.

According to the catnip farmer I spoke with, cats can smell catnip in something like a billionth of a particle of odour in the air.

Like I said, I have had no cat difficulties with my hair dry.

jesamyn
April 7th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Oh, she's weird. This particular situation is just not necessarily a good indication of it. ;)

The 'some probably dripped' actually made a light bulb come on. I know that I sweat some when I sleep with the henna and my cap. That's probably what dripped out, bringing the catnip along with it. Considering that my cap was barely damp this morning, I feel confident that was the reason.

I'm not overly concerned about her wanting to get into it dry. She always wants to remove it from buns anyway. If we went from de-bunning to purring and rubbing, it would be a relief. ;)

Raederle
April 9th, 2008, 05:43 PM
My days off got all switched up, so today was catnip day. I took the mix out of the refrigerator this morning, since I wasn't sure when I'd get to the shampoo phase. As it turned out, the shampoo was late afternoon, so I put the catnip outside to warm up, since our house was only 60.

After shampooing, I applied to my scalp and ends, putting some in a plastic bag, and letting the hair from about shoulder down enjoy the bath. I poured the rest over my scalp, letting it drip into another bowl, and playing switcheroo. When my arms got tired, I covered my head, hoping that there was enough catnip to do some good to the scalp hair.

After about 40 minuites, I rinsed it out, and here I sit. I have to admit, it felt wonderful on my scalp, which has been mightily irritated of late. I don't feel a lot of slip to my hair, as compared to how it feels after a typical shampoo/condition cycle. Decided not to use the typical leave-in I typically use, so I could evaluate the catnip better.

So, once dry, I'll post how it feels. Hoping it hasn't altered my hair color ....

ktani
April 9th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Raederle

It is lovely on the scalp isn't it?

I doubt that it has altered your colour much.

It needs more time to do that effectively and from the non slip you are getting, the catnip may not have gotten directly on to the hair shaft - any conditioner or othere residue there would prevent that from happening completely.

ETA: Any colour that you might get will wash out easily enough. It is not any where close to a permanent stain.

Raederle
April 9th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Well, hair is finally dry and combed out. It feels great -- not all that different from how it feels after a shampoo and conventional conditioner, just more ... substantial, I guess is the word. I would gladly use this again, if only there was an easier application process. I kept wishing it was a thicker concoction, so it would really stay on my head without so much dripping.

I might keep up with it for how wonderful my scalp feels. Perhaps I'll make a smaller batch next time and just treat my scalp. PPD ways she thinks that she sees a more golden look where it used to be more silvery, but I'm no so sure. Tomorrow's challenge photo will show it better, I guess.

ETA: Any colour that you might get will wash out easily enough. It is not any where close to a permanent stain.

Oh, yeah, I knew that. I was really just kidding.

ktani
April 9th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Raederle

Yes, the timing is a pain.

Since you are not using it for colour - you might get away with less time - you have to see - I found the extra time increased the conditioning for me but I did it initially for the colour.

For scalp washes it would be perfect as a rinse.

Catnip keeps in the fridge for up to 7-10 days but that is pushing it.

ETA: I have never had it go bad - in over 2 years - but I do not keep it too long.

Raederle
April 10th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Okay, here is my issue. My scalp is really giving me grief the past week, or so. I know you've said that catnip must be rinsed out, because your hair got sticky otherwise. How about if I apply it this evening, maybe catch the drips in another bowl, and repeat a few times. Could I then just leave it alone all night, and rinse out tomorrow morning?

I'm thinking of hitting just the nape area, because that's where all the irritation is, not scalp wide. I'm not too concerned about color change there, as this is the darkest hair on my head, and, as you state, the effects are temporary anyway.

ktani
April 10th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Raederle

I have spot used catnip myself in the past when I had shampoo or other product irritation problems - a good while ago now and left it on.

It can provide temporary relief.

For me - I knew the cause - my sensitivity to the product - that had to calm down on its own - but the catnip relieved the worst of it - until I recovered.

I had no problems with doing that at all.

Raederle
April 10th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Ah, well thanks for that, then. So, once my current batch is cooled down enough not to burn me I could use it? The aaaahhhh you hear will be me.

ktani
April 10th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Raederle

Yes - absolutely.

The best part? - when it has cooled in the fridge - it will feel even better when cold.

ETA: Just make sure when you make a new batch to use this way, that you do not make it stronger - the dilution I recommeded - 1 level tsp to 275 ml water works very well on sensitive skin - stonger catnip becomes more astringent - you do not want that when dealing with irritation, IMO.

Raederle
April 11th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Well, this is interesting. I poured some on last night, and when I arose this morning, my hair felt great -- no sticky feeling, at all. I poured some more, cold, just on the nape, put it up for the day, and it's dry now, and feeling soft and wonderful. It's making my scalp hugely happy, the itching has really receded, and you may color me a truly happy camper.

Thanks so much for your hard work and help, ktani :flowers:.

And for you skeptics out there, give it a try.

ktani
April 11th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Raederle

You are most welcome.

I am so glad to read that you are pleased.

The stickiness for me happened when I sprayed it on my ends - I have never left the rinse/treatment in my hair in quantity.

Spot treating with it never gave me a problem.

CurlyOne
April 11th, 2008, 11:44 PM
This is really interesting, thanks ktani! I think I might have to try it out, my scalp can be itchy and I would love to have stronger hair.

Katja
April 12th, 2008, 02:09 PM
The stickiness for me happened when I sprayed it on my ends - I have never left the rinse/treatment in my hair in quantity.

Since my fine, chemically highlighted hair is somewhat prone to breakage and splits, I started to experiment with catnip last Sunday. My first use was a 1 hour treatment prior to SMT. Since then, I have been misting my length on a daily basis. I mist with about 50 mL of catnip tea, plus approximately half a teaspoon of jojoba oil and a few drops of ylang ylang EO.

ktani, I have not experienced any stickiness from misting, even when I exclude the jojoba. My hair has great body from the misting, and the jojoba makes it feel very soft and well conditioned. One week is too soon to tell if I will have the stronger hair and less breakage, but so far, so good! :D

BTW, I wash my hair 2X per week, so the catnip stays on my hair for at least 3 days at a time, misting daily.

ktani
April 12th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Katja

At the time I tried the catnip as a leave-in, my hair had build-up on it from something I had used previously - I do not clarify - the stickiness was not bad but I found that leaving the catnip in did not benefit my hair. ETA: It did not hurt it either.

Katja
April 12th, 2008, 02:22 PM
ktani, that's interesting. Why do you think that using catnip in this way didn't benefit your hair? Do you mean that it didn't have benefit for color, or for conditioning? Or both?

I am not interested in color, only conditioning.

ktani
April 12th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Katja

My hair started to improve when I first started to use catnip - however - the build-up had to wash out - that was gradual.

I kept increasing the catnip timing in the bath/shower, which helped with the conditioning and colour.

What really made the difference for me both for colour and conditioning - was bagging my hair in the shower and increased timing.

I do not like leave-ins - I usually found them to be slightly sticky no matter what they are - maybe tacky is a better word - not sticky like honey or gross - just not the feeling I get when the catnip is rinsed out - which I prefer.

Katja
April 12th, 2008, 02:46 PM
ktani, thanks for the clarification.

Nynaeve
May 10th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Just thought I'd drop by and say I've started using catnip. Only once so far, and I'm going out of town towards the end of the month, adn won't be able to continue the regiment properly there, but I'm hoping to find something hair-friendly and portable for the trip.
Just thought I'd mention that I've started on catnip though. :)

ktani
May 10th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Nynaeve

Great - I look forward to reading how it works for you when you can use it continuously.

freznow
May 10th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Hey, all! A few questions...

I've been NW but I have so many splits. So, if I took to doing a once a month WO, and applying catnip then, how do you think it would turn out? Not using shampoo, would it be too sticky/oily? Would using it only once a month not have the same affects?

I'm also thinking of trying cassia. If I did a monthly cassia and added catnip, might that have a chance of working? :lol: I probably shouldn't try so many things at once... :silly:

ktani
May 10th, 2008, 04:00 PM
freznow

Catnip does have oil in it - I find it better to wash it out with the method I described - I do not think that it would be that great with NW - but you could give it a try.

Nynaeve
May 10th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Nynaeve

Great - I look forward to reading how it works for you when you can use it continuously.

K. I'll keep you people posted as I get my routine down.
Question, the amount you described earlier in the thread, that is one shower's amount, right? (The 300ml or something)

ktani
May 10th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Nynaeve

The batch I prepare each time is 1 level tsp cut and sifted catnip to 275 ml of boiled water.

I do not use the full amount on my hair - I keep some aside to use on my skin.

Sokudo Ningyou
May 11th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Has anyone thought of mixing hibiscus and catnip together for a scalp treatment? Mine has been dried and flaky for several months now, despite me not actually using shampoo on my scalp (only the lengths), and I've read that hibiscus may help. But perhaps catnip and hibiscus together? Anyone up for a try? My catnip pot hasn't put up any shoots for me to try it yet....

ilovelonghair
May 11th, 2008, 01:00 AM
I have a catnip plant and a catmint plant. They look different, so assume that I should make sure I use catnip?
Would it make a difference using fresh leaves?

ktani
May 11th, 2008, 05:53 AM
I use the catnip for colour as well as conditioning - to get light blonde.

I use a mix of the leaves and flowers - dried - I have no access to fresh catnip - the flowers have more oils in them than the leaves.

Hibiscus might be nice to blend - I cannot say how that would work, mixed with catnip.

Nynaeve
May 11th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Nynaeve

The batch I prepare each time is 1 level tsp cut and sifted catnip to 275 ml of boiled water.

I do not use the full amount on my hair - I keep some aside to use on my skin.

Ahh, thanks for that, I thought I remembered you saying that I just didn't when I got in the shower :D
Especially since my solution somehow got cold waiting on my shower. :(

ktani
May 11th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I keep mine in the fridge until use - then let it warm up to room temperature before I use it - I never heat it and rarely use it warm - I usually make it in advance.

Nynaeve
May 11th, 2008, 05:47 PM
I keep mine in the fridge until use - then let it warm up to room temperature before I use it - I never heat it and rarely use it warm - I usually make it in advance.

Thats what I did. I made it about a week in advance. Then I let it sit out for hours until it was room temp. I took it into a hot shower, but then it was cold by the time I started using it. :confused:
Not a good surprise. haha

ktani
May 11th, 2008, 05:51 PM
You should see my typos before I correct them, LOL.

ktani
May 11th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Nynaeve

I have used catnip that has been older than a week in the fridge but I recommend using it well before that time.

While I have never had catnip go bad on me - it still has water in the brewed tea and there is always the possibility that it could go "off".

Just a precaution.

Nynaeve
May 11th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Nynaeve

I have used catnip that has been older than a week in the fridge but I recommend using it well before that time.

While I have never had catnip go bad on me - it still has water in the brewed tea and there is always the possibility that it could go "off".

Just a precaution.

Kk. Thanks :)

Our shower wasn't working for a while, so I had to extend the time it was in the shower, but thanks for the precaution mention, I'll make sure to use it before it stays too long next time.

ilovelonghair
May 12th, 2008, 03:28 AM
I put catnip in my hair yesterday and left it in, it makes no difference, so I think it's ok to leave it in. I'll keep doing this to see if my split ends are finally going to stop (have to cut them of at least once a week)

ktani
May 12th, 2008, 06:46 AM
ilovelonghair

I wish you well with it.

I know that the way I prepare it and my method of using it works for me.

Nynaeve
May 12th, 2008, 11:44 PM
I made myself a batch of catnip goodness tonight.
And I finally found my mustard bottle!!! (the kind you buy clean, like you use in a restaurant, I think I originally bought it to try to get some concoction to my scalp, never worked for that, but it should work as a "shampoo" bottle for my catnip mix, yay!)
It's steeping right now. I might steep it overnight this time, then put it in the bottle in the morning and see if that makes any difference for the moisturizing and happiness for me.

My cat was happy this time at my making of the infusion. She's glued o my lap now and acting slightly high... and all she got was a tiny bit of fumes... maybe... haha. she's too cute though.

ktani
May 13th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Nynaeve

I recently let my catnip steep for abour 4 hours - no change in the conditioning benefits - I was curious too.

As to your cat? The catnip expert I spoke with a while back - he is a catnip farmer as well as a chemist, said that cats can smell catnip in parts per billion in the air.

Loviatar
May 13th, 2008, 08:47 AM
This is one fascinating thread, you guys.

I henna and I CO, so catnip may not work as well for me, but I'm severely tempted to try it. I wont have time over the next 2 weeks, as I'm away from home, but after that I am definitely going to source some catnip.

I only have a few split ends that I can see, but I do get a lot of little broken hairs in the sink when I comb. (From old dye/bleach damage.) I guess catnip would strengthen those, too.

ktani
May 13th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Loviatar

I never had broken hairs in the sink - before carnip my hair was brittle, with a lot of white dots and I had split ends.

Now I have no split ends and very few white dots, which I think are just mechanical damage.

My hair is no longer brittle - the opposite - the elasticity is excellent.

I have also noticed reduced shedding - much less than when I used to use conditioner and other herbal rinses after that.

Nynaeve
May 14th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Nynaeve

I recently let my catnip steep for abour 4 hours - no change in the conditioning benefits - I was curious too.

As to your cat? The catnip expert I spoke with a while back - he is a catnip farmer as well as a chemist, said that cats can smell catnip in parts per billion in the air.

I guess I'm going to have a very happy kitty every once in a while. :p

Loviatar

I never had broken hairs in the sink - before carnip my hair was brittle, with a lot of white dots and I had split ends.

Now I have no split ends and very few white dots, which I think are just mechanical damage.

My hair is no longer brittle - the opposite - the elasticity is excellent.

I have also noticed reduced shedding - much less than when I used to use conditioner and other herbal rinses after that.

Good to know. :)

jojo
May 18th, 2008, 10:39 AM
just done my catnip rinse, its brilliant stuff. I did it exactly to Ktani's instructions and left it on for one hour, as i am trying to bring out some of my lighter blonds, although it did not cover all my greys it has some which now look like highlights. The softness and shine is also great.

I am really hoping that my split ends will be a thing of the past, i normally s&d every fortnight and find loads did a good s&d today so time will tell.

I plan to alternate from catnip to burdock root, also got some rhubarb root on order, i am thinking this won't harm my hair with them being natural products.

I highly recommend these herbal rinses to anybody, they are amazing!

Nynaeve
May 21st, 2008, 02:51 PM
just done my catnip rinse, its brilliant stuff. I did it exactly to Ktani's instructions and left it on for one hour, as i am trying to bring out some of my lighter blonds, although it did not cover all my greys it has some which now look like highlights. The softness and shine is also great.

I am really hoping that my split ends will be a thing of the past, i normally s&d every fortnight and find loads did a good s&d today so time will tell.

I plan to alternate from catnip to burdock root, also got some rhubarb root on order, i am thinking this won't harm my hair with them being natural products.

I highly recommend these herbal rinses to anybody, they are amazing!

Yay, glad you liked it.

Couple days ago, I did a catnip wash followed by an ACV rinse. th rinse was acv, rosewater, jojoba oil, rosemary oil, catnip tea, and a couple other things.

Overall, it turned out amazing. My hair is incredibly happy (aside frmo the fact that I put entirely too much oil in the mixture and came out slightly clumpy) and the smell is fantastic.

ktani
May 21st, 2008, 03:06 PM
A catnip wash - hmmmm.

Something to think about.

Wavelength
May 21st, 2008, 03:13 PM
I've been trying catnip rinses as a conditioner and to strengthen my hair so I don't get so many splits. I've done several rinses over the past month or so and my hair is the softest and strongest it's ever been. I'm quite happy with it so far! :D

jojo
May 21st, 2008, 03:15 PM
Yay, glad you liked it.

Couple days ago, I did a catnip wash followed by an ACV rinse. th rinse was acv, rosewater, jojoba oil, rosemary oil, catnip tea, and a couple other things.

Overall, it turned out amazing. My hair is incredibly happy (aside frmo the fact that I put entirely too much oil in the mixture and came out slightly clumpy) and the smell is fantastic.

isnt it just great, i mixed a bit of catnip which id steeped for an hour before and sieved through with some rosemary herb shampoo tonight, then i did a henna and placenta treatment and eventually rinsed off with a burdock and catnip rinse, its looking great and the curl is really pronounced and i love the smell too!

jojo
May 21st, 2008, 03:17 PM
A catnip wash - hmmmm.

Something to think about. i just mixed mine with about a tablespoon of rosemary herb shampoo and some strained catnip in an empty bottle and shook it up, you get some really good lather off it, i love the results from mine.

ktani
May 21st, 2008, 03:17 PM
I just love the creativity I am reading here - you go girls!

peritozu
May 24th, 2008, 12:11 AM
I have lots of split ends and I would love to try this method. My original hair color is dark brown and I henna it so I have reddish brown hair now. I have read catnip can leave you with yellow stains which is something I do not want. What can be made to prevent it? OR should i use another method (if so which)? And I can only find dried catnip would it be ok to use? thanks!

ktani
May 24th, 2008, 06:31 AM
I only use dried catnip - on darker hair colours the light yellow dye should not be that noticeable.

peritozu
May 25th, 2008, 05:27 AM
thanks for the answer.. i have lots of gray hair so i shouldnt apply catnip when the gray roots are showing then, no?

ktani
May 25th, 2008, 05:42 AM
I use the catnip specifically to blend in/cover my grey/white.

ktani
May 27th, 2008, 11:39 AM
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u9/ktanimara/me.jpg?t=1211909827

The lightest coloured hair at the top front of my hair in this picture - is pure catnip colour over grey/white.

This picture was taken by joyinc at the Toronto meet a while back.

ktani
May 27th, 2008, 12:19 PM
http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u9/ktanimara/th_me2.jpg

My hair from the back - I am the 2nd from the left in the black leather jacket this picture was taken during the Toronto meet too.

I cannot resize this one.

It is in this post
http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1110879&postcount=32

Alun
May 27th, 2008, 01:55 PM
So how does this work? You put catnip on the ends and the cats nibble them off? Ours would.

ktani
May 27th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Alun

Just read the first few pages here - no cat problems - the tea when brewed has no odour and when rinsed out - no cat difficulties - even when left in from reports here.

coppercurls
May 28th, 2008, 10:41 PM
I have a catnip plant & would really like to try this as a rinse. How much fresh catnip do think?:stirpot:

chelly
May 29th, 2008, 03:12 AM
i tried catnip for the first time last night and so far so good, the only thing i did differently was i mixed it in with some condish because i have this weird feeling about putting watery stuff in my hair. i'll keep a close eye on my ends for the next little bit and see how it goes

Saranne772
May 29th, 2008, 03:56 AM
My cat would love this! Haha!!!

I might have to try this though- I have ATROCIOUS split ends :(

ktani
May 29th, 2008, 04:54 AM
coppercurls

I have never used fresh catnip - it is not available to me - but use the leaves and flowers - the flowers contain more oils.

I use 1 level tsp to 275 ml of water.

coppercurls
May 29th, 2008, 11:26 PM
coppercurls

I have never used fresh catnip - it is not available to me - but use the leaves and flowers - the flowers contain more oils.

I use 1 level tsp to 275 ml of water.

My plant hasn't bloomed yet, so I may wait until then to try it. I also may try chelly's idea of mixing it with a bit of conditioner.

ktani
May 30th, 2008, 09:27 AM
From my experience - it does not work the same when conditioner is used - it may be different for you.

I applied it before conditioner.

Sissilonghair
May 30th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Hello,hello to everyone,I'm very interested about this matter,I have split ends too and I would love to cover my gray following this method,may I know the name and brand to buy??

ktani
May 30th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I buy Hagen brand organic catnip.

Here is a picture of the container I buy.
http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/cats/product.cfm?CAT=5&SUBCAT=504&PROD_ID=05501080010101 (http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/cats/product.cfm?CAT=5&SUBCAT=504&PROD_ID=05501080010101)

They sell internationally.
http://www.hagen.com/

Saranne772
May 30th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Would it work to use normal catnip that you get in little tubs for putting on cat toys?

ktani
May 30th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Absolutely!

If it is dried leaves and flowers.

MermaidGirl
May 30th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Sorry if this has been discussed, but I did a search and could not come up with anything ... here's a question for you ladies (and gents?) who use catnip - have any of you tried catnip essential oil in your hair? If so, results?

ktani
May 30th, 2008, 09:11 PM
The essential oil - like all essential oils - can be an irritant.

I do not recommend using it uncut or undiluted in a carrier oil.

No, I have never used it.

Treecrown
May 31st, 2008, 08:43 PM
I recently decided to try the catnip tea rinse again, and wow, it really does make my hair nice and soft. I can't see that it is coloring my greys at all, and I don't know yet if it's helping the split ends, but I love how soft and shiny my hair is.

Would some kind of gelled catnip tea work for both color and conditioning, I wonder? Can it be gelled with pectin or flax seed, to make it thick enough to leave on longer without it all dripping out of the shower cap and all over me? (My skin likes it, so it's fine, but it doesn't stay on my hair very long). I tried putting in a bowl and dunking my head into it, but I didn't have the patience to stay in very long!

ktani
May 31st, 2008, 08:51 PM
Treecrown

I have never tried it gelled.

I adopted a purist attitude toward catnip after adulterating it with glycerin and acv during my experimentation period.

I reapply it a little bit at a time until my hair is saturated and bag it as described earlier in this thread - in 2 parts.

That is it - it works for me - covers my grey/white - conditions - no tangles - no split ends - less breakage than I have ever had - and I shed less hair than before using it.

By all means - experiment - make it your own - I have no desire to change anything about the way I use it.

Wavelength
May 31st, 2008, 11:01 PM
Sorry if this has been discussed, but I did a search and could not come up with anything ... here's a question for you ladies (and gents?) who use catnip - have any of you tried catnip essential oil in your hair? If so, results?

I'd be willing to try it, but finding pure catnip oil is like a needle in a haystack. Plus once found, it's expensive.

MermaidGirl
June 1st, 2008, 03:32 AM
Ktani raises a good point - most essential oils if used neat are irritating; there are very few that aren't. So obviously diluted in a carrier oil is the way to go. I was thinking for hair oiling purposes to combine it with either camelia or jojoba oil.

Wavelength, true that on both points you raise! It isn't impossible to find, but not easy and is expensive when finally located. After a cursory search I have found a reputable source for organic catnip essential oil that is the least expensive of all I looked at, but it still is not cheap. If interested, feel free to PM me.

ktani
June 1st, 2008, 05:50 AM
There is a potential problem with using catnip oil on your hair - it will stimulate cats - you are likely to have a huge cat problem - the tea does not do that - cats smell catnip in the parts per billion in the air.

Catnip oil is sold by pet suppliers - diluted - to be sprayed on or directly applied to cat toys and materials for that very purpose - to stimulate cats.

When the oil is used in a mosquito repellent - other things are added to it.

Pure essential catnip oil MSDS

".... AVOID CASUAL BREATHING OF VAPORS

.... LIQUID MAY BE IRRITATING TO SKIN AND EYES

WEAR GLOVES TO AVOID SKIN CONTACT

INGESTION-SEE PHYSICIAN"
http://www.essentialoil.com/msdscat.html

Stagecoach
June 1st, 2008, 06:46 AM
I wanted to drop by and say, I've lately fallen off the catnip wagon, for the past few weeks and I can tell a difference in how many splits my hair has.

ktani
June 1st, 2008, 06:52 AM
Stagecoach

The tea is IMO amazing.

It does work for me.

I stay on the wagon, lol.

Other than shampoo - catnip tea is all that I have used on my hair, barring conditioner on top of that, when I have gone for a trim every few months but not in between trims - for over 2 years.

I have never had a problem with cats using the tea.

MermaidGirl
June 1st, 2008, 02:38 PM
There is a potential problem with using catnip oil on your hair - it will stimulate cats - you are likely to have a huge cat problem - the tea does not do that - cats smell catnip in the parts per billion in the air.

Catnip oil is sold by pet suppliers - diluted - to be sprayed on or directly applied to cat toys and materials for that very purpose - to stimulate cats.

When the oil is used in a mosquito repellent - other things are added to it.

Pure essential catnip oil MSDS

".... AVOID CASUAL BREATHING OF VAPORS

.... LIQUID MAY BE IRRITATING TO SKIN AND EYES

WEAR GLOVES TO AVOID SKIN CONTACT

INGESTION-SEE PHYSICIAN"
http://www.essentialoil.com/msdscat.html

Thanks for the info, Ktani. Not sure if you saw my follow-up post, but my plan was, obviously, to dilute the catnip EO (as I am aware it is strong/irritating) in a carrier oil (such as camelia or jojoba) and use that for oiling my length, perhaps overnight and then washing it out in the morning.

I'm aware that catnip is attrative to cats, however, my cats (I have 2) have never ever not once in the 10 years I have had them shown even the slightest interest in anything catnip-related. They are completely immune to its "power" and have never reacted to it. In fact, if anything, they avoid catnip laced toys, etc. That said, when you mention that I am likely to have "a huge cat problem" do you mean that if I use catnip EO in my hair, however greatly diluted it may be, I run the risk of having various and sundry neighborhood strays following me to my home like I am some sort of Pied Piper? Or that I may be awoken in the middle of the night being seranaded beneath my window by said random strays? :confused: Because I'd really rather avoid either scenario - people might get the wrong idea!

Truthfully, the tea sounds a lot easier to use and if it can be put in the hair and left with no rinsing, all the better. However, I imagine the tea probably does have some catnip oils in it (though probably not EOs) and that using the catnip EO would just be a stronger version of the tea ....

BUT, if I ever do try to the catnip EO, I will let you all know how it works!

ktani
June 1st, 2008, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the info, Ktani. Not sure if you saw my follow-up post, but my plan was, obviously, to dilute the catnip EO (as I am aware it is strong/irritating) in a carrier oil (such as camelia or jojoba) and use that for oiling my length, perhaps overnight and then washing it out in the morning.

I'm aware that catnip is attrative to cats, however, my cats (I have 2) have never ever not once in the 10 years I have had them shown even the slightest interest in anything catnip-related. They are completely immune to its "power" and have never reacted to it. In fact, if anything, they avoid catnip laced toys, etc. That said, when you mention that I am likely to have "a huge cat problem" do you mean that if I use catnip EO in my hair, however greatly diluted it may be, I run the risk of having various and sundry neighborhood strays following me to my home like I am some sort of Pied Piper? Or that I may be awoken in the middle of the night being seranaded beneath my window by said random strays? :confused: Because I'd really rather avoid either scenario - people might get the wrong idea!

Truthfully, the tea sounds a lot easier to use and if it can be put in the hair and left with no rinsing, all the better. However, I imagine the tea probably does have some catnip oils in it (though probably not EOs) and that using the catnip EO would just be a stronger version of the tea ....

BUT, if I ever do try to the catnip EO, I will let you all know how it works!

MermaidGirl

I actually did not see your plan. Sorry

The attraction of cats to catnip is genetic - and kittens are not usually attracted to it - cats become attracted if they are going to be - when they get older.

".... 50% of cats are affected by catnip, .... affected to differing degrees. Kittens younger than 8 weeks old aren't able to enjoy it's effects. .... show an aversion to it. The response to catnip .... to be inherited as an autosomal gene. It's not just domesticated cats .... effects of catnip, many .... wild species also enjoy it. Cats can smell 1 part in a billion in the air. "
http://www.cat-world.com.au/Catnip.htm

No, I do not think that you will become the Pied Cat Piper of your neighbourhood - as long as you wash out the oil, lol but you might become very cat popular.

Just don't go visiting others with cats while the oil is in your hair, IMO.

forgetmenotak
June 2nd, 2008, 12:38 AM
Thank you ktani! I love using the catnip tea on my hair. It has really brought a lot of shine! And while it has been awhile since I have split ends, I have some breakage; which I hope the catnip tea will help with. Will report back later on that progress.

I just wanted to give this a thumbs up and share my results! I'm a happy girl right now. :cheese:

Anyways, are you the originator of the catnip rinse? I am curious how someone came up with the idea of catnip???? Or some of the crazy things I have heard of people putting on their hair.

Mitzy
June 2nd, 2008, 01:08 AM
I am definitely going to give this a try.
I am ROFLMAO at the picture in my head of MermaidGirl being like the crazy cat lady in the Simpsons, with cats all around her house, picking kittens out of her hair and throwing them at random passers-by. LOL!

MermaidGirl
June 2nd, 2008, 01:19 AM
... No, I do not think that you will become the Pied Cat Piper of your neighbourhood - as long as you wash out the oil, lol but you might become very cat popular.

Just don't go visiting others with cats while the oil is in your hair, IMO.

I LOOOOOVE kitties so its OK with me if I become cat popular. However, if I ever decide to use the oil, I will be sure to wash it out before I go visit my best friend - she has 3 cats that LOVE catnip and one in particular doesn't leave me alone as it is and climbs all over me (and this cat has got to weigh 30 pounds if he weighs an ounce - he's huge!), so I cannot imagine how he'd be if I had catnip oil in my hair!

... I am ROFLMAO at the picture in my head of MermaidGirl being like the crazy cat lady in the Simpsons, with cats all around her house, picking kittens out of her hair and throwing them at random passers-by. LOL!

That might actually come in handy at work! :D One of the attorneys I work for is just a horrible person, and we know that cats can sense evil, so perhaps having a few kittens stowed away in my hair and who would be willing to hiss and claw at him might make it so he'd not come near me?!

Sissilonghair
June 2nd, 2008, 08:36 AM
I buy Hagen brand organic catnip.

Here is a picture of the container I buy.
http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/cats/product.cfm?CAT=5&SUBCAT=504&PROD_ID=05501080010101 (http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/cats/product.cfm?CAT=5&SUBCAT=504&PROD_ID=05501080010101)

They sell internationally.
http://www.hagen.com/
Thanks for the info ktani...hope to buy it soon...
I want to know how frequent I should use it to cover the gray ;)

ktani
June 2nd, 2008, 08:46 AM
Sissilonghair

You are most welcome.

While the catnip colour does not all wash out when I shampoo, because I use catnip to both colour and condition - I apply it each time I wash my hair after shampooing both my scalp and length.

I squeeze the shampoo lather from my scalp through the length - I do not apply separate shampoo to the length.

sputnik
June 3rd, 2008, 01:38 AM
I tried the catnip rinse last night (left on for about an hour or more and then rinsed with water) and it seemed to increase the curl/wave in my hair. Unfortunately when I woke up that meant it was sticking up in all directions and would not go back down (can't wait till I have some length and weight so this doesn't happen!) . Not sure about anything else, no tinting to the couple of grey hairs I have though there seemed to be a light yellow cast to the little fine hairs around my forehead, and the texture and shine is about the same as always. Might try it again, but seem to have better results personally with chamomile (& I like the smell better too).

oh and cat was indifferent, but she's hit & miss when it comes to the nip

Sissilonghair
June 3rd, 2008, 04:34 AM
Since I joined this forum I am CO my hair and I love it.Can I use catnip without changing my routine or do I need to shampoo ?? I CO every other day ,but I don't know if I can use catnip so frequent on my hair.I would be so happy , if I can have a good cover of the gray:eyebrows:

ktani
June 3rd, 2008, 06:32 AM
Sissilonghair

From my experience - catnip does not stain over conditioner.

At the time I tried using very little conditioner - still - gradually - the grey started showing through untill my streaks came back.

It just did not work.

darl_in1
June 3rd, 2008, 06:45 AM
Hi catnippers!

I'm just wondering if it's advisable to use catnip on highlighted hair? I mean, would it alter the colour of the highlights? I want the shine, but not the colour!

ktani
June 3rd, 2008, 06:57 AM
darl in 1

I cannot speak for the conditioning effects of catnip over conditioner - but - since for me it does not stain over conditioner - if you use it over conditioned hi-lights - it should not stain.

And if it somehow does - a light yellow - it washes out fairly easily - it is temporary.

darl_in1
June 3rd, 2008, 07:04 AM
Thank Ktani! I might give it a go then. I just need to remember where I put the catnip.......

Wavelength
June 3rd, 2008, 09:22 AM
Minor hijack:

Darl in1, I LOVE the domino avatar! What are those -- brownies with candies? Cute! :D

Nynaeve
June 3rd, 2008, 09:49 AM
Minor hijack:

Darl in1, I LOVE the domino avatar! What are those -- brownies with candies? Cute! :D

I agree. I don't even like chocolate normally (except when mixed with something, like peanut butter. yummy) and that made me hungry. Super cute.

I'm back in town, and as such, I can now begin the routine again. I used shampoo for the first time in several years this past week after swimming (allergic to chlorine so I try to get it out as best I can) and my hair was severely unhappy, can't wait to start up the catnip again. ;)

tameriska
June 3rd, 2008, 05:41 PM
Ths sounds interesting.
Has anyone with chemicaly dyed hair tried this? I am considering trying this treatment, but am wondering if there are any issues with it possibly stripping or changing the colour of dyed hair.

jojo
June 3rd, 2008, 05:54 PM
Well I have noticed a great difference, my hair has less splits plus I can spread shampooing out to just once a week. I have never been able to go this long, but since diluting my shampoo with the strained catnip, then rinsing with more catnip. I only put a teeny bit of conditioner on the ends but I am very impressed with the results so far.

Catnip is available quite cheaply from e bay.

Nynaeve
June 4th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Well I have noticed a great difference, my hair has less splits plus I can spread shampooing out to just once a week. I have never been able to go this long, but since diluting my shampoo with the strained catnip, then rinsing with more catnip. I only put a teeny bit of conditioner on the ends but I am very impressed with the results so far.

Catnip is available quite cheaply from e bay.

Hmmm, I bet it is, and I usually buy things from ebay all the time, but there is a store not far from my house that sells organic catnip in plastic bags, it has a funny brand name, like Snazzy Kat or something... I can't remember. I'm going to start using that, cause it's fairly inexpensive.

Pegasus Marsters
June 4th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Does anyone else think this won't work so well if you have cats in the house? I'm now picturing waking up with my cats chomping on my hair.

darl_in1
June 4th, 2008, 02:13 AM
Minor hijack:

Thanks!:D They are chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and decorated with strawberry shoelaces across the middle and smarties as the spots! They were yummy!

ETA: the strawberry shoelaces are a type of candy tht look like shoe laces!

Nynaeve
June 4th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Does anyone else think this won't work so well if you have cats in the house? I'm now picturing waking up with my cats chomping on my hair.

It depends on how you use it, mainly. When I'm cookin it up, the at does get a bit excited if she is in the room, but sh doesn't attack my hair (and she loves catnip).

Wavelength
June 4th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Thanks!:D They are chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and decorated with strawberry shoelaces across the middle and smarties as the spots! They were yummy!

ETA: the strawberry shoelaces are a type of candy tht look like shoe laces!

Yep, we have shoelaces and Smarties here too. Cool! :D

TheSpottedCow
June 4th, 2008, 10:26 AM
I tried this twice so far after reading this. I brew the tea, add some honey (it actually tastes pretty good haha) and put my hair in a ponytail ontop of my head since I have layers, and dip the ends of the ponytail and soak it for a few minutes.

It actually makes a big difference. I have porous hair so when I go a few days without washing the ends get really dry, but I don't want to wash my hair more than I have to. This works really well in between, making my ends really shiny and soft, and it doesn't seem to add greasyness for me so It doesn't increase the frequency of my washes.

Stagecoach
June 6th, 2008, 05:44 AM
Wow, I'm constantly amazed at the difference this stuff makes in my hair! I haven't used any the past few weeks, but now that I've used it again I can tell such a difference!

emeraldjoy
June 6th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Sorry to be contrary, but I followed the directions that were posted about infusing the catnip and I couldn't tell any difference. My hair smelled like grass and I thought it was a little more tangled then usual, other then that no change.

I have noticed less splits since I started sleeping on silk pillowcases.

ktani
June 6th, 2008, 03:01 PM
emeraldjoy

Catnip was not an instant fix for my hair in the beginning.

I had build-up on my hair from a previous herbal treatment I was using and I do not clarify.

I did notice that my hair was better with catnip though.

Gradually, as the build-up washed out and I experimented with bagged timing, my hair improved.

Now with the maximum bagged timing, my hair does not tangle wet or dry - the splits and breakage decreased quite a while ago with my catnip use.

It will be different for everyone, depending on their routine.

Nynaeve
June 7th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Sorry to be contrary, but I followed the directions that were posted about infusing the catnip and I couldn't tell any difference. My hair smelled like grass and I thought it was a little more tangled then usual, other then that no change.

I have noticed less splits since I started sleeping on silk pillowcases.

I agree with Ktani. Not only just in that it might not work for everyone, but that it takes time and you may have buildup form something else. I do hope it works for you if you decide to keep trying. :)

julya
June 8th, 2008, 12:09 AM
I made a tea with catnip, senna and fenugreek and left it on my hair overnight covered by a plastic bag. I got to tired to rinse it out and just fell asleep. I think it made my ends feel nice and soft. It was a little coated feeling, maybe too much fenugreek. But I loved the smell!

I'm thinking that once a week seems like a good frequency. Does that sound reasonable?

Nynaeve
June 8th, 2008, 09:27 AM
I made a tea with catnip, senna and fenugreek and left it on my hair overnight covered by a plastic bag. I got to tired to rinse it out and just fell asleep. I think it made my ends feel nice and soft. It was a little coated feeling, maybe too much fenugreek. But I loved the smell!

I'm thinking that once a week seems like a good frequency. Does that sound reasonable?

Senna and fungreek? Interesting... and I don't have either. :(

I would think once a week would be fine, but keep in mind if you are doing this for coloring, and you wash more often than once a week, it might not work out as well as you hope.

julya
June 8th, 2008, 12:28 PM
I'm not interested in the color, besides I think my hair is too dark for it to show up. I will try the once a week timing for now. Oh, and I found the senna and fenugreek at the health food store in the bulk herbs section.

coppercurls
June 8th, 2008, 02:05 PM
:kitten:Well here I set with catnip tea on my head. I did an infusion per ktani's instructions. I have my hair sopping wet with catniptea with showercap on wrapped in a towel. I will post results later. I plan on letting it soak for at least 30 minutes to an hour. Wish me luck!

jojo
June 9th, 2008, 03:26 PM
how did it go coppercurls?

Nynaeve
June 9th, 2008, 04:42 PM
I'm not interested in the color, besides I think my hair is too dark for it to show up. I will try the once a week timing for now. Oh, and I found the senna and fenugreek at the health food store in the bulk herbs section.

We have no such section in my local health food store, it's tiny. :(

:kitten:Well here I set with catnip tea on my head. I did an infusion per ktani's instructions. I have my hair sopping wet with catniptea with showercap on wrapped in a towel. I will post results later. I plan on letting it soak for at least 30 minutes to an hour. Wish me luck!

How did it go?

coppercurls
June 9th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Okey dokey here are my results from my first ever catnip tea soak:

I was pretty impressed! When I took my hair out of the shower cap, I could run a wide tooth comb through it without in conditioner! :disbeliefWooHoo! So Me being me, I started thinking "Do I really need to rinse this out?" 15 minutes later the answer was an obvious "Yess!" As my hair started to dry it was feeling really tangly dry. So I rinsed out the catnip w/water & did an SMT with Suave Toasted Vanilla. I added a few drops of tangerine EO. OMG, that stuff smelled wonderful! I left this on for about 45 minutes & rinsed. Hair was shiny, easy to detangle! WooHoo again! I didn't use any gel and had really good curls formation. I think it would have been better w/ gel, but I wanted to see what the catnip did. I think I will def be adding this to my routine. The curl formation alone was worth it! I also think my shine went up a notch too. You know how we curlies are always searching for shine! Maybe with a couple of months use I can tell about split ends decreasing.
:thumbsup:

Nynaeve
June 9th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Okey dokey here are my results from my first ever catnip tea soak:

I was pretty impressed! When I took my hair out of the shower cap, I could run a wide tooth comb through it without in conditioner! :disbeliefWooHoo! So Me being me, I started thinking "Do I really need to rinse this out?" 15 minutes later the answer was an obvious "Yess!" As my hair started to dry it was feeling really tangly dry. So I rinsed out the catnip w/water & did an SMT with Suave Toasted Vanilla. I added a few drops of tangerine EO. OMG, that stuff smelled wonderful! I left this on for about 45 minutes & rinsed. Hair was shiny, easy to detangle! WooHoo again! I didn't use any gel and had really good curls formation. I think it would have been better w/ gel, but I wanted to see what the catnip did. I think I will def be adding this to my routine. The curl formation alone was worth it! I also think my shine went up a notch too. You know how we curlies are always searching for shine! Maybe with a couple of months use I can tell about split ends decreasing.
:thumbsup:

YAY!!! I'm so glad it worked for you. Maybe next time, if you leave it in a tiny bit shorter of a time, you won't have to use as much product in your SMT, you think?

Yay for curl definition and shine!!! :cheese:

coppercurls
June 10th, 2008, 09:51 AM
YAY!!! I'm so glad it worked for you. Maybe next time, if you leave it in a tiny bit shorter of a time, you won't have to use as much product in your SMT, you think?

Yay for curl definition and shine!!! :cheese:

That what I am thinking too.:p

Stagecoach
June 11th, 2008, 06:20 AM
I tried my catnip tea this morning with 1 T. of Molassas added two the 2 cups of water. I'm hoping it will help with the conditioning and enhance my redish tones.

forgetmenotak
June 11th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Ok. I just had a "stupid hair moment." I have been making the tea with tap water.... I have very hard water, so I didn't see as much difference as when I switched to distilled water. WOW. I am amazed! If I weren't such a conditioner groupie I might not have used it. I didn't need to. :cheese:

I thought that I would also pass along how I brew the stuff too, just in case anyone wants to know. I put the water in my coffee maker and the leaves in the pot and I run the water through and brew it. It was less hassle for me to do it this way.

Nynaeve
June 12th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Ok. I just had a "stupid hair moment." I have been making the tea with tap water.... I have very hard water, so I didn't see as much difference as when I switched to distilled water. WOW. I am amazed! If I weren't such a conditioner groupie I might not have used it. I didn't need to. :cheese:

I thought that I would also pass along how I brew the stuff too, just in case anyone wants to know. I put the water in my coffee maker and the leaves in the pot and I run the water through and brew it. It was less hassle for me to do it this way.

Glad to know such a small change worked out so well and made such a big difference. :)
Hmmm, how does one become un-addicted to conditioner.... I must find out for you if I can. ;)

julya
June 13th, 2008, 02:25 AM
I've never been a conditioner fan myself. I don't like how it feels on my skin. That's mainly why I'm trying out herbs on my head, and I've been liking using catnip. I haven't needed any oil or conditioner at all! It's wonderful.

ktani
June 13th, 2008, 09:22 AM
julya

It is great isn't it?

Now - try it on your skin!

I wash my face with it in the morning and use it on my hands.

I do not need to moisturize and no more hand lotion.

Nynaeve
June 13th, 2008, 01:03 PM
julya

It is great isn't it?

Now - try it on your skin!

I wash my face with it in the morning and use it on my hands.

I do not need to moisturize and no more hand lotion.

I still haven't tried it on my face or hands, and I need to.

Anything different with your face since you started using it there? Better/worse for cleaning/acne/rashes/sensitivity?

ktani
June 13th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Nynaeve

Yes - a big difference.

The first time I tried it - the boss at work asked if I had done something to my skin - that I looked younger - you will not need that, lol.

No problems whatsoever.

My skin feels silky smooth - not dry or irritated - don't forget - I soak in in when I do my hair. I would have known if there were problems before using it on my face.

The dilution I use - 1 level tsp to about 275ml, perhaps a touch more water, is perfect for my face - previous dilutions were a little too astringent.

That is the beauty of this - you can make it your own - I have sensitive skin - what is perfect for me may not be just right for you - I can only tell you what makes me happy with the dilution I use.

Nynaeve
June 13th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Nynaeve

Yes - a big difference.

The first time I tried it - the boss at work asked if I had done something to my skin - that I looked younger - you will not need that, lol.

No problems whatsoever.

My skin feels silky smooth - not dry or irritated - don't forget - I soak in in when I do my hair. I would have known if there were problems before using it on my face.

The dilution I use - 1 level tsp to about 275ml, perhaps a touch more water, is perfect for my face - previous dilutions were a little too astringent.

That is the beauty of this - you can make it your own - I have sensitive skin - what is perfect for me may not be just right for you - I can only tell you what makes me happy with the dilution I use.

Ahhhh, I see.
I will have to try it on my face as well, then. I have extremely sensitive skin too, and I've been looking for something more gentle. When the catnip dilution I've been using has touched my skin, it hasn't caused problems, so I doubt it will when I use it on my whole face. Have you tried putting other stuff in it for use on the face? And do you let it sit a bit and dry like in your hair or do you rinse it off fairly fast?

ktani
June 13th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Nynaeve

Nope - as with my hair - I am a catnip purist - nothing added. I have experimented with additives like glycerin and acv - a golden yellow acv made from green apples.

For me - catnip works best straight.

For my face, I do not leave it on longer than a few seconds before rinsing.

That is enough.

However - for my hands - I do those in the shower - while the catnip is on my hair - I do not do them separately in between - and it has not been necessary.

Another tip I keep forgetting to mention but you are too young for this one - when in the shower - while the catnip is on my hair and hands - I also put it on my eyebrows and down south - it covers the grey/white on any hair - uncovered - except for the hair on my head - that needs deep conditioning - and the colour takes better covered.

Nynaeve
June 13th, 2008, 09:19 PM
I gotcha.
I was wondering about how long you left it on because I've always heard that it's good to make a cup of tea, then take the teabag while it's still warm, rub it on your face, then let it dry on your face, didn't know if catnip could/should be used the same way. Maybe I'll try both.

ktani
June 13th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Nynaeve

It cannot hurt to leave it on a bit - in the mornings - I am in too much of a hurry usually.

I have left in on a bit longer - it depends on how much time I have.

From my experience though - it is definitely not necessary at all.

Apply - "wash" - rinse - that's it. No fuss no muss.

I have no idea where that expression comes from, lol.

ktani
June 13th, 2008, 09:32 PM
I should clarify one thing and I do not clarify my hair, lol - it does not need it.

My hair is in excellent condition now.

I doubt that the catnip needs to be left on my hair as long as I continue to do so for the treatments.

But I hardly s&d anymore - once in a while if I get the urge to - I am not fond of it - so the urge is rare these days.

It used to be necessary - s&d's are definitely good to help relieve tangling by removing broken hair ends.

However - my hair does not tangle anymore - wet or dry - and I have not been for a trim in over 7 months - no tapered ends either.

If I change the timing - I will have to monitor the change - experiment and keep monitoring - I cannot be bothered.

Literally for me - if it ain't broke - I am not going to fix it.

Nynaeve
June 13th, 2008, 11:15 PM
I gotcha.

I guess I can use it somewhat like I've been using it in my hair. Cool to know you don't need to clarify.

ktani
June 13th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Nynaeve

Catnip has never built-up on my hair - but I do use shampoo - and I squeeze the lather from my scalp - through the length each time - not add more shampoo to the length unless my hair is very oily - which can happen if I do not wash it often enough - that is rare though.

By comparison - other herbal treatments I used - linden tea and chamomile tea - both built-up on my hair and shampoo each time I washed my hair did nothing to help that until I stopped using them.

I do not dilute my shampoo - but I do not use too much at one time.

It is Sunsilk Lively Blonde shampoo - I import it from Europe - I prefer the European formulas - less polymers in them and less silicone than here - the shampoo has never built-up on my hair either.

I have used Sunsilk shampoos for both the linden tea and chamomile tea - so if it was going to help with build-up each time I washed my hair - it would have.

julya
June 14th, 2008, 01:18 AM
ktani, I usually just use water on my face, but I will give the catnip a try next time. Thanks for the tip! I have been mixing in fenugreek with my catnip, and I wonder if that would make a difference for skin. Maybe I'll try straight catnip on my hair next time.

ktani
June 14th, 2008, 01:25 AM
julya

You are welcome.

For me - mucilage - which is in fenugreek in a large amount - built-up on my hair - it is also in linden tea - in a smaller amount than fenugreek.

But others love fenugreek - from reports in threads on the boards.

As I have said though - I do not clarify my hair - that may be the difference.

Experiment - see what works best for you - it is about your hair and skin and your hair care routine.

I became convinced at one point - I do not know why - I can be very stubborn - that I could make catnip work for my hair and skin with nothing added to it - and I did.

detritus
June 26th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I just used catnip for the first time yesterday and my hair loves it. I'm not looking for color, since my hair is pretty light blond and I want it to stay that way. But I have lots of splits and because my hair is so fine I have trouble finding conditioners and oils that moisturize but don't weigh it down. But after I used the catnip yesterday I didn't need to comb it while it dried (I usually do or I get lots of tangles, even though I know it is probably damaging). The tangles just fell out on their own and my hair had a slight waviness that actually looked nice, not messy like normal. I hope I keep getting these results!

ktani
June 26th, 2008, 05:14 PM
detritus

Catnip forever for me.

I just love what it does for my hair and skin - nice wave pattern, colour, condition, no split ends, smooth, soft skin - the list goes on.

I am so glad you that you like it.

julya
June 26th, 2008, 05:32 PM
ktani, I did try the catnip on my face as well, and it was very nice. I even have a batch sitting on the kitchen counter ready to be strained. I've actually run out of catnip, but I only bought a little bit to see how I liked it. Anyhow, I agree with you, catnip forever!

NorthernDancer
June 27th, 2008, 10:25 AM
I love this idea. I'm going to have to give this a try. I like the idea of getting away from products, and using herbs. I'll have to do some searching for some good catnip....

Anksa Na
June 27th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Find catnip at the Petco? :-)

ktani
June 27th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I have found pet store catnip - organic - preferable to buying it in bulk.

Pet stores usually have a high turn over and I have found it to be fresher and better quality - the pet supply industry is very competitive.

vidgrl007
June 27th, 2008, 03:23 PM
I just wrote it on my grocery list of things to get.My cats are soo gonna luve me ,lol.

NorthernDancer
June 30th, 2008, 02:06 PM
When I told my mom about this, and about using the pet quality not the bulk stuff, she told me (not sure if it's true, I'm just repeating what she told me) that the pet stuff is a slightly different herb. It's still catnip, same as the bulk herb, but it's a slightly different strain and would give different results.

Like I said, I'm not sure if it's true or not, but I just thought I would through this out there.

ktani
June 30th, 2008, 02:20 PM
When I told my mom about this, and about using the pet quality not the bulk stuff, she told me (not sure if it's true, I'm just repeating what she told me) that the pet stuff is a slightly different herb. It's still catnip, same as the bulk herb, but it's a slightly different strain and would give different results.

Like I said, I'm not sure if it's true or not, but I just thought I would through this out there.

I have been using catnip for over 3 years now.

I started off with pet store catnip then bulk health food store organic catnip - now back to pet store - this time organic catnip.

It is not true, IMO.

You can get different species of catnip from any store.

However - the most common species - my health food store did not often specify and my pet store catnip does not either, is nepeta cataria.

I do not wory about the name - my concern is that it works.

It does - pet store catnip is consistent - it works for me every single time.

I had difficulty with the quality of health food store catnip - that was inconsistent - from different stores too.

Pet store catnip from my experience, is fresher and better quality.

Organic is what I prefer - but non-organic worked too.

Oskimosa
June 30th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Ok, I've read through *almost* all of this thread, and I have only one question ...
Ok a COUPLE of questions.

Why is catnip more advantageous to other conditioning treatments to ends-only? Is it because other methods don't prevent the split ends? And also... does it leave your hair soft as well? Kindof like a conditioning herb rinse? And lastly, I promise; does anyone here use shampoo bars with catnip?

ktani
June 30th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Ok, I've read through *almost* all of this thread, and I have only one question ...
Ok a COUPLE of questions.

Why is catnip more advantageous to other conditioning treatments to ends-only? Is it because other methods don't prevent the split ends? And also... does it leave your hair soft as well? Kindof like a conditioning herb rinse? And lastly, I promise; does anyone here use shampoo bars with catnip?

I do not use it on my ends only.

I use catnip to colour and condition my hair.

It stains my grey/white streaks a light blonde.

I finally got it to condition my hair the way I want - to not have to use conditioner - by bagging it and increasing the timing.

It leaves my hair very soft and tangle free.

The no split ends and reduced breakage was just an uxpected but wecome bonus.

You can ask as many questions as you like - if I can help - I will.

Oskimosa
June 30th, 2008, 08:52 PM
I do not use it on my ends only.

I use catnip to colour and condition my hair.

It stains my grey/white streaks a light blonde.

I finally got it to condition my hair the way I want - to not have to use conditioner - by bagging it and increasing the timing.

It leaves my hair very soft and tangle free.

The no split ends and reduced breakage was just an uxpected but wecome bonus.

You can ask as many questions as you like - if I can help - I will.

Ah, I'll take you up on that! Basically, I'm not looking to color my hair with it (as I already henna..) so I'd shy towards the 5-15 minute weekly treatment side of things. I just have revealed awful split ends from quitting cones. I wouldn't expect a miracle but I at least need to get those things softened a bit so I can avoid the setback of trimming. I just got the stuff past my shoulders, I dont think I could stomach a trim! And I reeeaaally don't want to go back to cones. I'd suffer the splits before going back.

blue_nant
June 30th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Shall I start gathering seeds for youall?

I live in the great plains, and it grows wild here, although it's a naturalized european.

ktani, i bet it grows wild in ontario!!!

Here i have four bundles drying and haven't used it yet ... :shrug:

ktani
June 30th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Shall I start gathering seeds for youall?

I live in the great plains, and it grows wild here, although it's a naturalized european.

ktani, i bet it grows wild in ontario!!!

Here i have four bundles drying and haven't used it yet ... :shrug:

Thanks for the offer.

It does grow wild here.

I just prefer to let the pet suppliers go through the quality control hastle, lol.

I think a lot of the bulk catnip from the health food stores - organic aside is grown wild.

The pet supply industry is very competitive - companies struggle for their market share and the catnip I buy is clean (not that yours would not be), quality controlled and excellent.

One thing I have noticed since switching to pet store catnip - is that when I wash out the shampoo bottle I keep the catnip tea in - there are no pieces stuck to the inside of it that missed the straining - it is just better catnip than the health food store bulk catnip I was buying.

And the colour and condition of my hair is better - I get consistent results - especially with the colour - the conditioning is close but even better IMO, than before.

ktani
June 30th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Ah, I'll take you up on that! Basically, I'm not looking to color my hair with it (as I already henna..) so I'd shy towards the 5-15 minute weekly treatment side of things. I just have revealed awful split ends from quitting cones. I wouldn't expect a miracle but I at least need to get those things softened a bit so I can avoid the setback of trimming. I just got the stuff past my shoulders, I dont think I could stomach a trim! And I reeeaaally don't want to go back to cones. I'd suffer the splits before going back.

It will take a while before you get to where you want but catnip is excellent for the hair, IMO.

The first few pages of this thread have my routine for preparing it.

The only thing that has changed is that I no longer deactivate it at the 30 minute mark - I just let it cool, strain it and put in in the fridge or use it right away.

podo
July 1st, 2008, 01:08 PM
I read this whole thread, and now I can't wait to get home!! I have a brand new pack of organic catnip from the store. My cats will just have to share!!

I've been looking to get off commercial chemicals for all of my skin and hair needs. This is my first step and hopefully I'll be able to drop the expensive conditioner I've been COing with. If I can just rinse in catnip tea and go.... ;)

Oskimosa
July 1st, 2008, 08:25 PM
Ok I think I'll try this. Maybe I'll pick up some catnip from the pet store tomorrow... Gotta get ferret litter anyhow :p

MermaidGirl
July 2nd, 2008, 12:20 AM
Ok, so I went catnip crazy at Petco tonight! I got the Petco brand Catnip for Cats, 2.5 oz. [70.9 g] for $5.99 USD (must be sold by weight because the container is quite large yet very light), and VIP brand Fresh Premium Catnip Leaves and Blossoms, 3/4 oz. [21 g.] for $2.49 USD. They look exactly the same (so both must contain leaves and blossoms, but I noticed some stems as well) and they smell the same, too, so next time, I will go with the Petco container because it is a better value.

I will try this on my hair tomorrow night. Can't wait!

Oh and I know I said in a previous post that my cats are immune to catnip because they ignore all the catnip toys I've ever gotten them ... well, I WAS WRONG! They practially tore the bag apart to get to the catnip I brought home! I hope they leave my hair alone! :p

NorthernDancer
July 2nd, 2008, 01:20 PM
Oh and I know I said in a previous post that my cats are immune to catnip because they ignore all the catnip toys I've ever gotten them ... well, I WAS WRONG! They practially tore the bag apart to get to the catnip I brought home! I hope they leave my hair alone! :p

My cat Sebastian was the same way. He never really reacted to catnip, then I bring some home and he dove in the bag to get it! I thought I had a critter inside it or something, but I brought out the catnip tub and it had bitemarks in it. :rolleyes:
Now I grow catnip and once a week he gets a leef or two as a treat.

catfish
July 6th, 2008, 02:28 PM
If I missed the answer, sorry:o but I don't know how long to rinse my hair after letting the catnip sit. I've been letting the catnip tea sit on my length for 5-15 min then I rinse with plain water. Should I rinse for a while (like rinsing out conditioner) or just rinse it quickly? If my ends are really dry should I rinse at all or let the tea dry in my hair? Thanks

ktani
July 6th, 2008, 02:36 PM
If I missed the answer, sorry:o but I don't know how long to rinse my hair after letting the catnip sit. I've been letting the catnip tea sit on my length for 5-15 min then I rinse with plain water. Should I rinse for a while (like rinsing out conditioner) or just rinse it quickly? If my ends are really dry should I rinse at all or let the tea dry in my hair? Thanks

catfish

You did not miss the answer.

The question as you stated it never came up.

There is no required time for rinsing out catnip.

From my experience with it, it is better rinsed out.

My hair was very dry when I started using it.

I had build-up.

My hair continued to get better from both the catnip and the build-up washing out.

Then I got the full benefits of the catnip conditioning and the colour I wanted.

I left catnip in a few times, while experimenting.

For me it is better, as I said, rinsed out.

Rinse it out as much as you like but I find a thorough rinse the best.

I do not time it - I just make sure that my hair is what I consider, well rinsed.

catfish
July 6th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Ktani- Thanks, that is very helpful:D catfish

ktani
July 6th, 2008, 04:57 PM
catfish

You are welcome.

catfish
July 9th, 2008, 10:42 AM
I've used the catnip tea (per Ktani's instructions) a few times and so far I really like the results. My skin is improving really quickly, and my hair feels about the same as when I used conditioner.

The only difference in my method of tea rinsing is that I don't bag my hair up, I just soak my length in the cup of catnip tea, then pour the leftovers over my head. I continue with my bath as usual then rinse well at the end. I found bagging to be a bit cumbersome and my hair feels pretty moisturized even though the tea is sitting on my hair (the same way conditioner does) throughout my bath.

I am using a tiny bit of coconut oil on just my ends, do you think the oil will block the catnip from treating my ends? I don't have any buildup at all and the oil makes my very dry ends a little nicer, maybe one day I wont have to use oil at all, just catnip.

Can I still use a little oil without ruining the catnip effects?:o
Thanks, catfish

podo
July 9th, 2008, 10:57 AM
I've been using catnip rinse for about a week now, and I can really see the results!

I decided to go all natural, so I whipped up my own shampoo and use the catnip tea as a rinse. With both of them, it doesn't feel like commercial products when I'm showering or when it's wet, but it dries MUCH more quickly, and once it's dry it's mostly tangle free (the tangles that are there are more from the shampoo).

My split ends are almost gone - my S&D sessions only last a couple minutes now, and I snip out split ends I missed before or kinks in my hair. It's no longer a case of cutting my hair one hair at a time! YAY!!

It doesn't seem to cover the gray though. I've only got about 6 gray hairs so far, but they're still gray - no blond or anything. I'm considering trying walnut to put some color back in, but one thing at a time!

The first time I used it I put it in and went to bed, and then kept my hair in a snood the next day because I didn't get a chance to rinse it out. By evening, it was almost dry, and seemed ok, though I probably won't use it as a leave-in. I do have some in my mister though, and mist my hair on the days I'm not washing it.

Excellent idea!! I wonder how someone thought of it originally?

dor3girl
July 10th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Oh wow! I love your detailed writing about the catnip! Will totally have to try that! I am the split end queen!

dor3girl
July 10th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Good to know!

dor3girl
July 10th, 2008, 01:07 PM
I've been using catnip rinse for about a week now, and I can really see the results!

I decided to go all natural, so I whipped up my own shampoo and use the catnip tea as a rinse. With both of them, it doesn't feel like commercial products when I'm showering or when it's wet, but it dries MUCH more quickly, and once it's dry it's mostly tangle free (the tangles that are there are more from the shampoo).

My split ends are almost gone - my S&D sessions only last a couple minutes now, and I snip out split ends I missed before or kinks in my hair. It's no longer a case of cutting my hair one hair at a time! YAY!!

It doesn't seem to cover the gray though. I've only got about 6 gray hairs so far, but they're still gray - no blond or anything. I'm considering trying walnut to put some color back in, but one thing at a time!

The first time I used it I put it in and went to bed, and then kept my hair in a snood the next day because I didn't get a chance to rinse it out. By evening, it was almost dry, and seemed ok, though I probably won't use it as a leave-in. I do have some in my mister though, and mist my hair on the days I'm not washing it.

Excellent idea!! I wonder how someone thought of it originally?
I have no idea who came up with this--but it is brilliant!

ktani
July 10th, 2008, 01:11 PM
I've used the catnip tea (per Ktani's instructions) a few times and so far I really like the results. My skin is improving really quickly, and my hair feels about the same as when I used conditioner.

The only difference in my method of tea rinsing is that I don't bag my hair up, I just soak my length in the cup of catnip tea, then pour the leftovers over my head. I continue with my bath as usual then rinse well at the end. I found bagging to be a bit cumbersome and my hair feels pretty moisturized even though the tea is sitting on my hair (the same way conditioner does) throughout my bath.

I am using a tiny bit of coconut oil on just my ends, do you think the oil will block the catnip from treating my ends? I don't have any buildup at all and the oil makes my very dry ends a little nicer, maybe one day I wont have to use oil at all, just catnip.

Can I still use a little oil without ruining the catnip effects?:o
Thanks, catfish

catfish

Try it and see.

From my experience, especially if you use my steeping method for preparing the catnip, by covering it and knocking the condensation from the inside of the cover back into the mug (on your finger), catnip has enough oils in it, not to need anything else..

If you prefer to use coconut oil, just do not use too much, as you have been doing, and make sure that you wash it out well enough, so that it will not block the catnip.

ktani
July 10th, 2008, 01:16 PM
dor3girl

Catnip was recommended on the boards about 3 years ago now, for "strength and shine".

A few people tried it in various ways.

I tried it too and noticed the colour possibilities, researched catnip (it is known to yield a light yellow dye and it is safe to use) adapted, it for that, and pressed forward to get it to condition for me to completly replace conditioner.

The end result is far more than I could have wished for.

While I am not the first to have tried catnip on these boards, to my knowledge, I am the first to have thoroughly researched information on it.

The no split ends and reduced breakage were part of the result of continued experimentation on my part, for myself - to get catnip to replace conditioner altogether.

It worked.

catfish
July 12th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Catnip rocks:rockerdud I wish I had known about catnip years ago:rolleyes: would have saved my skin a lot of rashes. I've only been using catnip for two weeks now and even though it isn't miracle stuff, my hair does feel the same as with conditioner, and more importantly my skin is not irritated by it, even the burned/recovering skin.:D

:bowtome: Big time thank you to Ktani and everyone else in this thread for the great info. :bowtome:

Question: The last six inches of my hair are still real dry and kinda crispy, will my ends improve with steady catnip use?

ktani
July 12th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Catnip rocks:rockerdud I wish I had known about catnip years ago:rolleyes: would have saved my skin a lot of rashes. I've only been using catnip for two weeks now and even though it isn't miracle stuff, my hair does feel the same as with conditioner, and more importantly my skin is not irritated by it, even the burned/recovering skin.:D

:bowtome: Big time thank you to Ktani and everyone else in this thread for the great info. :bowtome:

Question: The last six inches of my hair are still real dry and kinda crispy, will my ends improve with steady catnip use?

catfish

You are very welcome.

I do not consider catnip a miracle for my hair and skin - I consider it close, lol.

The last 6 inches of your hair - I had a similar problem for a while - build-up. The build-up gradually washed out.

I tried using less catnip on the ends - that seemed to help but what really made the difference and what I still do, is the bagged extra timing.

I found that to be the best.

Here is my reasoning.

While the lesser time still makes the hair feel good - the conditioning constituents in catnip are not designed, like those in conventional conditioners, to work in a specific 2-3, or 5-10 minutes.

They are the all in their natural raw form.

It takes more time IMO, for them to penetrate however much of the cuticle they are able to do.

All I know is that the bagging - body heat - and the extra timing worked, whereas using more catnip or less water, or less catnip on the ends, did not work for me.

ktani
July 12th, 2008, 11:57 AM
I will tell you what the biggest difference is that the bagged extra timing of my catnip treatments does for my hair now.

I still have no taper when my hair grows.

It had been 7 months since my last trim.

I modified the Faye method and did it myself, successfully.

I just completed a very thorough s&d.

I had not done one in about 6 weeks.

While there were still no split ends, I do still get some white dots.

But they were the usual very small fraction of the amount I used to get, using conditioner or any herbal treatment that I tried.

I use to separate a strand of hair and go - "where do I start?"

Now it takes a good while to find a white dot, which is usually too faint to see clearly, except under strong light, and while wearing dollar store reading glasses, that are stronger than I need to read text (I bought really strong ones just for s&d's).

MermaidGirl
July 12th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Ok, I don't think I've asked this question yet, and Ktani, please forgive me if you've already told me (though I'm sure all we've discussed is its use for hair), but what exactly does the catnip tea do for one's skin? And how is it applied - frequency, method (sprayed on, with a cotton pad?), etc.? :confused:

I have an oil-prone scalp and combo skin - oily t-zone (prone to break outs along and under the jaw which I understand to be hormonal, but rarely breakout anywhere else on my face), and somewhat dehydrated cheeks and areas outside the T. What can I expect catnip to do for my skin? And would it even be a good idea for me to use it considering my skintype?

TIA! :)

ktani
July 12th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Ok, I don't think I've asked this question yet, and Ktani, please forgive me if you've already told me (though I'm sure all we've discussed is its use for hair), but what exactly does the catnip tea do for one's skin? And how is it applied - frequency, method (sprayed on, with a cotton pad?), etc.? :confused:

I have an oil-prone scalp and combo skin - oily t-zone (prone to break outs along and under the jaw which I understand to be hormonal, but rarely breakout anywhere else on my face), and somewhat dehydrated cheeks and areas outside the T. What can I expect catnip to do for my skin? And would it even be a good idea for me to use it considering my skintype?

TIA! :)

MermaidGirl

No worries.

I use the catnip for my skin that is left over from the batch I use on my hair. I leave some aside specifically for that purpose.

So, it is a mild dilution.

My skin has always been and still is oily.

I find the catnip to be very soothing and softening and yet when I wash my face with it, and my arms, and neck in the morning (I shower at night), it removes my oil and replaces it with its own.

Right after I wash my face, my skin is soft but no longer oily.

I just put some in my hands, apply it well and rinse.

I do not time it or do anything special.

You can if you wish, (I have done on ocassion) let it sit for 30 seconds before rinsing, but most times I do not.

My skin feels great with it and as I have said, I have received compliments on the quality of my skin since I started doing this.

I had hormonal acne years ago but when I hit 30, my hormones settled down and I had changed my diet - less junk food, which now they say has litttle to do with acne but junk food does have more chemicals added, that I can do without.

If you change the catnip dilution from 1 level tsp to approximately 275 ml water, by making it stronger, it becomes more astringent.

I like using that dilution for both hair and skin.

In the winter, my skin no longer feels dry, and it used to feel that way.

I have never moisturized my face but I do wear a 30 SPF sunblock that has moisturizing properties, on my skin.

Even with that, my face used to feel partched in winter - no more since I use the catnip before I apply the sunblock.

I use it on my hands, the same way as on my face but in the shower, after I have applied it to my hair and that gets the same timing as my hair.

I have not bought or used hand cream in the time I have started using catnip on my hands.

ktani
July 12th, 2008, 05:01 PM
podo

Walnut dye is toxic. Have a look at the research in this thread.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=5378

Catnip only needs to be left on the hair for about an hour, to add colour. I always rinse mine out.

But it will not stain over conditioner.

There could still be some on your hair.

I do not know what your all natural shampoo consists of, but if anything if it leaves a residue, that could prevent catnip from staining as well, IMO.

catfish
July 12th, 2008, 08:11 PM
So I tried bagging my hair this evening:D I let it sit for about 20 min in the bag before rinsing well with water. It's wet now and I'm going to bed, I'll let you guys know if it makes a difference compared to just rinsing it through and then rinsing again with water.