PDA

View Full Version : Scalp Washing

LaurelSpring
May 3rd, 2010, 02:48 PM
I know that there was a thread on scalp washing at some time but I cant seem to find it. When do most people start doing scalp washes? Now that I am hovering at waist I want to seriously start doing this. The other day I had some great braid waves and didnt want to mess them up but my scalp was oily. I bagged the length with a shower cap and attempted to wash my scalp like that. The length did get somewhat damp but still had some wave left. I need a better technique.

chrissy-b
May 3rd, 2010, 02:52 PM
HERE (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=85) is an article on scalp washing. Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but I hope it helps!

MsBubbles
May 3rd, 2010, 02:56 PM
I started a poll thread about scalp washes within the past year, and got some good replies on different methods people use. I don't have a removable shower head so I bag my ponytail several times and stick my head under the shower as usual.

I credit scalp washes with saving my ends, which I was washing needlessly because of my greasy scalp. I guess I was about at 27" when I started.

LaurelSpring
May 3rd, 2010, 03:03 PM
Great article! Thank you. I will see if I can also find the other thread. I seem to be search impaired sometimes.

janeytilllie
May 3rd, 2010, 03:12 PM
I'm currently scalp washing and I love it :)

I found these threads on scalp washing hope it helps :flower:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1917

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=12756

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=35946

Hana
May 3rd, 2010, 03:21 PM
wow. it has to be said, i have never thought of doing that!

although when i had a fringe, before i discovered batiste dry shampoo, i used to be able to just dunk my fringe into a sink with a tiny blob of shampoo. which was useful, but ultimately dried out my fringe more, so it got greasier.... yeah.

LaurelSpring
May 4th, 2010, 02:22 PM
More great ideas. I tried to bag it and take a regular shower today but that didnt work very well. Total disaster.

I forgot about using a spray bottle. I did that awhile back with some pretty decent results I think. Next tries will be low pony held up or braid under the bra with head under the sink and then high pony held up. I also like the idea of using a squeeze bottle to apply. Im sure one of these will do the trick.

MsBubbles
May 4th, 2010, 05:13 PM
If your shower head doesn't detach you could take a plastic cup/container in there with you and fill it up then dump it out over your scalp after you've shampooed. It's a bit easier to control the water flow that way.

Sometimes my ends stay completely dry, sometimes they get wet. But because they haven't been in the chaos that is my full-length shampoo & condition, I don't get any tangles at all and it all combs out easily after it's dried out a bit. For me, not having to tug and rip wet, tangled hair allows me to keep more of my hair, and a neater hemline. I shed so much after a full-length shampoo & condition.

I guess I'm saying keep trying things until it works and don't worry if it's a disaster (unless it damaged your hair in some way).

LaurelSpring
May 10th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Just did the braid your hair and hold it with your hand technique. This worked great! Im so excited. My hair is dry from about ear down. I had diluted shampoo ready in a squeeze bottle. It wasnt nearly as complicated to hold with one hand and wash with the other as I thought it would be. It just took a minute and there were no problems combing out.

Its funny because I have thought about scalp washings for awhile now and had a few disasterous tries but it just didnt fall into place. It seems like when your hair is really ready for something like a new style or technique, then all of a sudden it seems to make sense and work.

LaurelSpring
May 27th, 2010, 05:45 PM
So Im back again excited that I finally got the hang of scalp washing in the shower now. I braided from my crown and was able to wrap my hair around my hand and use the hand held shower head to wet it then plop it back while I shampoo-ed with one hand, then rinse again. I wrapped a towel around it and showered as usual. This worked great. Another benefit is that I can now use Dr. Bronners as a shampoo. The problem before was that my scalp loved Dr. B and my length hated it. Now I have a natural shampoo alternative with scalp washing. Its all finally coming together now.

:cheese: