PDA

View Full Version : Flaky scalp (But not dandruff)

meichigo
May 7th, 2008, 03:07 PM
I get dry skin flakes off my scalp, but I don't think it's dandruff because my head isn't itchy or anything. Does anyone else have this?

Also, I only seem to get it around my bangs. I don't know if this is because they are positioned such that I mess with them more or if because they are shorter it somehow affects it...

Generally what happens is I will brush my bangs to one side or for some reason run my fingers through them, and then a couple of flakes come out. In an attempt to keep this from happening later (at a potentially more embarassing point) in the day, I then usually settle my fingers in my scalp and rub vigorously try to get all the loose flakes out. I keep going until it seems to mostly be gone.

And it only seems to happen from me touching my bangs like that. If I were to just leave them be and never touch them, then I would never notice the flakes and they probably wouldn't fall out.

Is this from too much shampoo? Too little shampoo? Poor rinse job? Not enough conditioner? The water? Anyone know what I can do to get rid of this?

frizzinator
May 7th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Because it is located between two areas that get a lot of attention, it's possible that the hairline doesn't get as much manual manipulation as the scalp and the face ...just scritch that area.

meichigo
May 7th, 2008, 03:45 PM
I don't know, because that's actually the only part of my hair which I really wash. (I probably should've mentioned that.) My bangs are the only place where oil gathers quickly, so normally I was just that area, then condition the rest. I don't really wash my face too much either because it tends to dry out.
Should I just add "scritching" (good term) to my morning routine before I leave the house?

frizzinator
May 7th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Sure, do it anytime.

CopperHead
May 7th, 2008, 03:52 PM
I have found that certain shampoos will make my scalp flake. Fructis is one of them and I used to love it. For some reason it just doesn't seem to wash out all the way and even an ACV rinse didn't help. I have other sulfate shampoos that don't do this, so it much be something in these particular products. My flakies were mosty in my bangs too. I think they are harder to rinse out thoroughly.

meichigo
May 10th, 2008, 04:50 PM
The probably with scritching 'anytime' is that I'd want to make sure 'anytime' occurred somewhere secluded so that people don't go "who is that strange girl dropping scalp flakes all over the vicinity??" I'm totally paranoid about it happening on accident in an embarrassing way; in a nice restaurant for example, if I am just trying to shift my bangs out of my eyes. Or in front of a friend with whom I am trying to "play it cool" and not come out like a total dork -_-;;

frizzinator
May 10th, 2008, 05:21 PM
The probably with scritching 'anytime' is that I'd want to make sure 'anytime' occurred somewhere secluded so that people don't go "who is that strange girl dropping scalp flakes all over the vicinity??" I'm totally paranoid about it happening on accident in an embarrassing way; in a nice restaurant for example, if I am just trying to shift my bangs out of my eyes. Or in front of a friend with whom I am trying to "play it cool" and not come out like a total dork -_-;;

When I said to do it anytime, I never considered the possibility that you would scritch in public.

meichigo
May 11th, 2008, 04:13 PM
When I said to do it anytime, I never considered the possibility that you would scritch in public.

Heh. Awkwaaaaard. I'm normally very hygienic, I swear. Just somedays my "anytime" is almost entirely out in public (tuesdays and thursdays I have class all day; I wake up, shower, go to school, and don't get back until 9ish).

lyrl
May 11th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I get this kind of thing in the winter. I don't have bangs, so for me the flakes are right around my part (where I mess with my hair to part it).

It got a lot better (though did not completely go away) when I started CO for three washes out of four. With the dry air of winter making it appear, and conditioner making it better, I think it's caused by my scalp being too dry.

meichigo
May 11th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I think you're right about dryness... I curled my hair a few nights ago, and because I wanted the curls to stay, I didn't wash for several days, except for briefly using bar soap (nice bar soap, with milk, but still bar soap) in my bangs on the third day. Then today I washed my hair and I haven't noticed any flakiness. So I guess I just need to cut down on washing. Should I try shampoo bars? What exactly are poo bars? Exactly what they sound like?