PDA

View Full Version : Two Week Notice

BrightEyes7
May 3rd, 2010, 11:54 AM
Ok... I've been thinking about cutting my hair back to BSL. Lately my hair has just seemed so hard to manage. I have been thing about it so this is my official beginning of my 2 weeks to think....

The summer is coming so I would probably be back at waist by the end of the year...

My hair is in pretty good condition but I have a lot of splits and layers. Cutting to BSL would get rid of all layers (excepts my old bangs in the front) and take care of any damage. But really I don't think I am very good about handling hair of this length.

We'll see what I think in two weeks.

spidermom
May 3rd, 2010, 12:14 PM
I did the same - grew out to about waist, then cut back to BSL twice. I needed to take the slow road, so this is completely understandable to me. Good luck making the decision that will suit you best.

Pear Martini
May 3rd, 2010, 12:37 PM
It sounds like a good idea to me. I can't stand heavy damage. I am at BSL and so often I am tempted to chop at shoulder to get rid of a lot of my damage but I would still have damage up to my ears, so I just hold off :)

Amraann
May 3rd, 2010, 12:45 PM
The splits could be the reason for your difficulty managing it.

Once you cut it and it is healthier then maybe you will find that you can manage it better?

Jessikinz
May 3rd, 2010, 12:49 PM
I did the two week rule in April and then decided to cut back to BSL at the end of the month. Was the best decision to make. I'm glad you are waiting the two weeks. That is enough time to really think about it.

ChrissieM
May 3rd, 2010, 01:14 PM
Are you at hip? I'd cut to waist first and then see if things are better...then wait another two weeks and cut to BSL. I cut back to BSL from longest-layer-at-waist a month ago and it was the greatest thing I could have done...it's like a new head of hair.

Feli
May 3rd, 2010, 01:46 PM
I don't really have any damage or any layers but I am sort of considering cutting back to BSL as well. I had hip length hair and had a big trim (approx 3 inches) about 6-8 weeks ago to even out the hemline and was really really surprised that I actually preferred it being back at waist as compared with hip. Now it's grown quite a bit again and I'm really toying with the idea of going for a big trim again. I just feel like my hair has more movement in it when it's not just hanging all the way down to my hip. However, I'm also not happy with my washing routine so until that's sorted I'm not going to make any major decisions.

I can completely relate to what you (Brighteyes) write about your hair not being so manageable but I too would probably cut to waist before cutting back to BSL. Maybe you'll find - like me - that you are still thinking of cutting off some more or maybe waist length will make a big difference. I certainly find waist more manageable than hip.

FrannyG
May 3rd, 2010, 02:33 PM
Unlike many here, I am all for getting rid of layers and damage in one fell swoop, if possible. If you can do that and still have BSL length hair, then I say go for it. BSL is still long by real world standards, and you can still do a lot of styles.

I think that the process of growing hair should result in enjoying your hair. If you're not enjoying it in its current state, then get those layers and splits cut out.

Please do consider though if you will or won't still be able to do your favourite styles.

Once you get rid of the layers, you might not be able to do some of the updos that you were able to do when you were previously at BSL. If you think not, then maybe err on the side of caution and keep and extra few inches.

In any case, you're doing the right thing by using the two week rule.

Best of luck to you. :blossom:

Athena's Owl
May 3rd, 2010, 03:48 PM
yay, two week rule!

I really like this rule because I don't ever regret hair decisions I make while using this rule. I've been waffling over cutting my ends for months now because I just can't decide that I want it for two weeks solid.

little_acorn
May 3rd, 2010, 03:56 PM
Are you at hip? I'd cut to waist first and then see if things are better...then wait another two weeks and cut to BSL. I cut back to BSL from longest-layer-at-waist a month ago and it was the greatest thing I could have done...it's like a new head of hair.

This sounds sensible to me :D

ericthegreat
May 3rd, 2010, 04:06 PM
Brighteyes7, even if you eventually do decide to go back to BSL, your hair will definitely still be considered long especially by the general public. I do however agree with everyone else here, think about it over for another two weeks before you do any cutting back.

Or, you could also simply trim back say two inches and see how you like it there. A lot of times, we often think our hair is much more damaged than it really is or more needs to be cut off than is actually necessary. Remember, if you trim off too little you could always trim off a little more :)........but if you cut off too much :tmi:.

Sunny_side_up
May 3rd, 2010, 11:39 PM
You have beautiful hair, wait the two weeks out which is a good rule, maybe like what others have said, is to have smaller regular trims rather that one chop, but its up to you and either way you'll have healthy ends whatever you decide on and it'll grow back:)

JamieLeigh
May 3rd, 2010, 11:44 PM
I'm smack in the middle of the 2-week rule myself. Good luck in figuring out what is best for you, it's important to be happy with your hair, no matter what your ultimate goal may be. If you do not enjoy the growing-out process, then IMO the super lengths might not appeal to you either once you're there. :flower:

Arctic_Mama
May 4th, 2010, 12:09 AM
yay, two week rule!

I really like this rule because I don't ever regret hair decisions I make while using this rule. I've been waffling over cutting my ends for months now because I just can't decide that I want it for two weeks solid.

I've never regretted waiting to cut, but I have definitely made some poor hair (and life!) decisions in the heat of the moment.

Good luck with whatever you decide, there is no shame in liking a certain length (long or shorter) more than another :)

Animae
May 4th, 2010, 12:55 AM
i really like this idea of waiting two weeks and making sure it is not an impulse decision.

I'm thinking about starting this myself because I was contemplating a before the Renaissance faire starts trim, but I'm just as BSL, so I'm not sure.

Night_Kitten
May 4th, 2010, 02:10 AM
I agree with ChrissieM about cutting to wais first and only then to BSL, cutting from hip to BSL in one go seems so drastic...

BrightEyes7
May 4th, 2010, 10:55 AM
I agree with ChrissieM about cutting to wais first and only then to BSL, cutting from hip to BSL in one go seems so drastic...

I suppose it is a bit much. I really did seem to enjoy my hair more at waist... Hip just seems too much, like I can't manage this much hair, I'm actually only an inch or so from TBL. Maybe TBL isn't really my goal, maybe waist is the length for me!

But I'm still going to wait two weeks.

Arniky
May 4th, 2010, 11:16 AM
hi just get to the length you are comfortable with, take good care , surely a longer length will get comfotable