PDA

View Full Version : Were you a little bit overwhelmed when you started your long-hair journey?

Kirsty
May 3rd, 2010, 05:15 AM
I made this account in December, and pretty much abandoned it until I came across LHC again yesterday and remembered about my account.

I've lurked through the articles and I kind of get a few things, but I think I'm causing my hair a lot of damage that's un-needed... I've already learnt quite a bit in a few days. I saw an article suggesting starting with CWC... I tried it today and my hair looks so shiny... Honestly, you know those ads with the supermodels tossing their locks over their shoulders? I never thought my hair could be anywhere near that shiny. :D

Anyway, I'll stop rambling on, but what advice would you give to new-comers who are feeling a tad overwhelmed at how much there is to learn?

sweet*things
May 3rd, 2010, 05:20 AM
Best advice would be to take it slow and try one thing at a time. That way it is easier to tell what actually works. And unless it's a complete disaster on the first attempt, try to give it a week or two to make a final decision. :D

ilovelonghair
May 3rd, 2010, 05:40 AM
I have been here for 2.5 years and still feel overwhelmed by all the information on here! There is so much to read, but I love it!

Multiruus
May 3rd, 2010, 05:54 AM
Yes! :D I too found this forum around last christmas. Orginally I started growing my hair last spiring when I just suddenly decided not to cut it anymore. I had no idea there is actaully this kind of heaven for hair "freeks". After I found this place I was so overwhelmed for 2-3 weeks before I managed to calm down and remeber that the best way to ease the pain is simply forget my hair. It will grow the most when im not thinking about it :)

babybabycat
May 3rd, 2010, 08:26 AM
Putting the hair-dryer away was the most important step for me.
CWC and trying different types of hair oils, very important !
I was obessed with coconut oil at first, then I discovered that it only takes 3 drops to get good coverage.

I agree with Multiruus. I obsessed with every "hair detail" mostly because my hair felt so damaged when I found this website last year. As I grew in healthy hair, my confidence increased.

FrannyG
May 3rd, 2010, 09:13 AM
The first thing I did was stop with the heat appliances. The best and most comprehensive advice for new members is in Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39), which is listed atop the sticky thread of VIT's (Very Important Topics).

I read that article when I first joined here, almost 4 years ago, and it's stuck with me.

Welcome and I hope you stick around a bit more! :blossom:

spidermom
May 3rd, 2010, 09:19 AM
Don't feel you have to try everything. I tried CO and SMT but settled into CWC with diluted shampoo about a year after I joined, plus coconut oil, and have had such good results that I never felt the need to delve into other experiments.

Heavenly Locks
May 3rd, 2010, 09:24 AM
Anyway, I'll stop rambling on, but what advice would you give to new-comers who are feeling a tad overwhelmed at how much there is to learn?

1. What works for you, might not work the same for somebody else. Don't be discouraged if you decide that coconut oil or SMT's don't seem to be working for you and everyone else raves about this or that.

2. Be patient. As much as it sucks, you have to wait for your hair to grow. Measuring every week won't help your stress levels OR make your hair grow faster.

3. Be kind to your hair. Don't fry it with heat and be careful with chemicals. Don't rip it or tear it and learn to protect it.

4. DON'T try everything at once. Take your time and figure out what works for you. :)

:hmm: That's the best ones I can think of for now!