PDA

View Full Version : Updos damaging?

2peasinapod
May 2nd, 2010, 11:52 PM
For the first time, my hair is finally long enough to put up!:D

But, I have a few questions. Whenever I try anything other than a ponytail, bun, or braids hanging down, my hair hurts! Especially with french braids. I always make sure not to pull too tight (just tight enough for them to stay), and I only do two of them, but they still hurt, especially when I take them down.

Does my scalp just need time to get used to the pressure, or am I damaging my hair with my attempts at protective styling?

Meagan
May 2nd, 2010, 11:57 PM
When I put my hair up even if it's not tight my sculp feels sore, I think it's because im so use to wearing my hair down.

And im so confused..I always thought the best thing you could do for your hair is leave it down and not fiddle around with it. I thought braiding it stresses your hair. I just dont know anymore I came to the conclusion that everything is bad for your hair. thee end.

Arctic_Mama
May 3rd, 2010, 12:02 AM
Is it a pulling sensation while wearing the style, or is it just sore when you take it down?

I have found that if you are not used to a certain style, moving the hair follicle a different direction can make it ache just a little, and usually requires tugging or a nice scalp massage to calm down.

If it is a pulling sensation that is painful WHILE wearing it, it may either be that you are pulling the style too tightly, or, more likely, that the weight is poorly distributed so a few strands are yanking and the rest if the style is sagging against it.

I was wearing a wrap bun today and when I put my stick in it grabbed some hair VERY tightly and the rest was normal tension. I thought it was okay and went to church, but sure enough the last twenty minutes were agonizing with me constantly yanking the hair to try and loosen the hold and rubbing at my scalp. I should have just taken it down and started over.

If it is something like a braid or high ponytail you are not used to and is mostly sore when taken down, that WILL get better with time. If it is sore right after putting the style in, you need to redo it and pull the hair more evenly, not more tightly. Make sure each strand is snug up against the other, don't over pull certain pieces to make it tight, but rather aim for consistent tension.

Without more information this is the best advice I can give, I hope this helps more than is confuses you :flower:

Gumball
May 3rd, 2010, 12:17 AM
A possibility is muscle ache. Muscles are attached to the bases of the hair follicles (this can be seen on limb hair when you get cold and the hair raises). If your hair is in one style most of the time, then doing something else with it bends the hair in a different way, moving the muscles in a way they aren't used to. This can make them ache in their new adjustment, much in the way your arm may ache after a prolonged phone call when you finish the call and straighten your arm again. In those cases it's an adjustment period since the hair and their muscles aren't used to being manipulated like that for that long.

If it hurts while it's up, like Arctic_Mama said, it may be too tight or the weight may be unevenly distributed. The former may be a more encompassing ache, and the latter may be specific to the portion of hair and scalp that is taking a larger portion of the weight on itself.

It's all food for thought, so hopefully you can find out the cause that applies best to you and the solution to it!

2peasinapod
May 3rd, 2010, 12:40 AM
Thank you so much for the fast (and very helpful) replies! My hair mostly hurts when taking it down (the scalp feels tender for a while). When it's up, it only hurts if some strands are pulling the wrong way. I'm definitely trying lots of styles I'm not used to, so it's good to know that this is normal.

Thanks for the tip about scalp massage - I'll try it out! :)

Arctic_Mama
May 3rd, 2010, 03:00 AM
Oh yeah, even after months of wearing my hair up all but a few days out of the year, I still get a sore or 'funny feeling' scalp for a few minutes after my hair is up. It's been up for hours, with the follicles a certain direction, and then I am laying it back down. Think of it as holding a position with your arm or leg, and then shifting. The stretching and moving makes it ache, then you massage, shake it out, and it's fine again. It's the same sort of principle.

Jessikinz
May 3rd, 2010, 01:02 PM
I get this a lot too. And I never have tight updos or braids. It's a good idea to let your hair down after being up for several hours. It's like when you come home from a long day at work, and you sit down and put your feet up to relax.

If it's a little painful after you've let your hair down, try a scalp massage. Get the circulation moving. :)

misspriss
May 3rd, 2010, 01:40 PM
I used to get this when I let my hair down after having it a new position. It is when the folicle gets pulled a way it isn't used to, even if the pull isn't tight, it just isn't used to it yet. I find it goes away quickly and I don't get it anymore.

Sunny_side_up
May 3rd, 2010, 03:17 PM
Yay congrats 2peasinapod:cheese:
Tell me about it! I get a tense scalp and after taking out my hair from a pony can feel like my scalp is painfull, but i've been avoiding tight ponies and use soft, fluffy scrunchies or claw clips which seem to prevent any tense scalp feeling, but my hair isn't that weighty because of this layering & not yet long really. When it was APL last year i felt it alot more, so started wearing lower pony tails. Or a pony held up in a claw clip;)

spidermom
May 3rd, 2010, 03:22 PM
I believe that twisting up-dos causes friction/heat and damages hair. It does in my hair, anyway. Sigh - who'd a thunk it?

Braiding can be problematic because if I let them swing around, all the shorter hairs that work their way out of the braid and make it fluffy-looking get tangled around each other.

I've figured out a couple of non-braided buns and try to pin my braids up, which works pretty well and is a lot better for my hair than leaving it hang; it grabs stuff; stuff grabs it. It breaks and gets pulled out. I've even burned a few hairs on a candle before.