PDA

View Full Version : Hair Stick Length?

Lizard554
May 2nd, 2010, 09:19 PM
So I dug up a pair of hair sticks (at least thats what I assume they are) from my grandmother's basment. I have no other hair sticks, but would like to make some. The closest store that would carry them is in the mall and even hair sticks can't get me into the mall.
Sorry.
Tangent.
Moving on.
The sticks seem so very long. I feel like they stick out an inch from my head. They are approxamently(sp) 9 and 1/8 inches long. Am I imagining things? How long are your best hair sticks?

Arctic_Mama
May 2nd, 2010, 09:44 PM
That's long for a hairstick, in my experience.

Length depends on the style of bun and personal preference. A figure 8 or infinity, or very large bun, is going to require a longer stick than a knot bun or one on shorter, thinner hair.

I find for most lengths I've seen around this site that 6 inches of functional length is more than enough for all but the longest styles.

I generally like 5.5-6 inches in overall stick length, including finial or topper, because I dislike having too much stick that is visible beyond the perimeter of my head. But beyond the minimum length you need to reach across or into your style (measure the diameter of the bun or the amount of hair you plan on catching with your stick) the rest if primarily personal aesthetics :)

GuinevereMay
May 2nd, 2010, 10:09 PM
Almost ten inches?! That's so long! I have almost classic length hair and I use 6-7 inch hair sticks. The seven inch feel a little long to me, honestly.

Masara
May 2nd, 2010, 10:57 PM
My bun is about 4 inches across and, very importantly, my head is very narrow. I don't like wearing sticks that are visible from the front so most of my sticks have a 4 or 5 inch functional length and smaller toppers.
So much depends on personal preference, hair type and head shape

Pixna
May 3rd, 2010, 05:17 AM
I have a smallish head (I'm fairly petite all over) and even a 7-inch stick is very long for me. I prefer a 5.5- to 6-inch stick, including the topper, with a 4.5- to 5-inch functional length. I don't like my sticks showing too much from the front -- otherwise it looks as though I have Martian antennae. :laugh:

marikamt
May 3rd, 2010, 06:57 AM
5-7 ".... some of my 5"-ers are a bit short for some types of buns, and some of my 7"-ers are too long at times......
For my head and bun, 6-6.5" is perfect, but they don't all come in that size, so I buy the 5" and 7"

Are you sure they are hairsticks and not maybe a knitting needle or something? If they are wood, maybe you can have them filed down?

julliams
May 3rd, 2010, 07:05 AM
Mine are between 5 and 6 inches. I find this the perfect length for me.

Tresses
May 3rd, 2010, 09:29 AM
For me, it depends on the updo. Mine range from about 5 to 7 inches, and the 7" ones are almost too long for me.

Could what you found be chopsticks? (Still can be used as hairsticks, btw.)

Anje
May 3rd, 2010, 10:37 AM
Most of mine are in the 6-7 inch range, depending on things like toppers. I generally want a 5" functional length.

Any chance they're chopsticks? They're about the right length for that. Cut down, chopsticks are quite nice for hairsticks, but I wouldn't want to wear them full-length, for fear of taking out an eye. (ETA: Looks like Tresses had the same idea... I really should read more thoroughly...)

girloctopus
May 3rd, 2010, 10:41 AM
I prefer a 5.5-6" wearable length, but I have topped sticks pushing 7.5". I couldn't imagine wearing a stick that long! My SO hates how long they are already because he gets poked on a regular basis.

I think what you have are probably knitting needles or chopsticks, both of which make effective hairsticks but shortening may be required.

Lizard554
May 3rd, 2010, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, know that you mention it I bet they are chopsticks (my grandpa lived in Japan for a little while). They are hard and shiney, not wood, so I don't know if I could file them down, but thanks for the suggestion.