PDA

View Full Version : My hair situation (is my hair in really bad shape?)

pinklemonade
May 2nd, 2010, 01:51 PM
Hello everybody. Just want to vent a little bit, but I'd really like some feedback and to know if anyone's on the same boat. So here's the situation: I always used to think I had full and healthy hair but looking at pictures of my hair it looks quite the opposite! There are some pictures in my album (my hair actually looks better in pictures so don't be fooled!) where you can see how stringy my hair looks. What I don't like are those spaces between my hair locks, do you know what I mean? Do you think my hair is as bad as I see it, or is it my critical eye?

I have a history of perms (curly/wavy) so I'm still paying for that because now my hair feels hard and dry all the time. I also have gone through a series of layered cuts (where the hairdresser layered and thinned -using a razor!!!- my ENTIRE hair so I have about a gazillion of layers scattered all around). I was seriously thinking of cutting my hair off because I have noticed splits of even 6 inches!!! But I changed my mind because in order to get rid of ALL the damage I have, I'd have to cut to shoulder length if not shorter (because I have so many layers and most of the splits are up above). Very often, I also notice these damaged, lighter looking areas in the middle of my hair strands and I can actually see a space. They're split ends that haven't split yet:( Should I be worried? Or should I continue with what I'm doing?

Thanks to LHC, I learned not to blowfry, no straightening anymore, use non-sls/no cone shampoo, deep oil with coconut oil esp., no brushing so clearly I'm on the right path but will my hair get worse? I just want it to grow really long so I can have waist length hair (a little longer actually :p) but without all these layers.

ButterCream
May 2nd, 2010, 02:27 PM
Hi:)
I am new so I can`t see your pictures before I get more posts unfortunately, but what I CAN say is: continue with what you are doing!:cheer::joy:
:blossom: What you are doing NOW is much much better for your hair! And just give it liiiitllebit of time I know you will see results!:blossom:

I just try to remember that it have taken some time to get hair like this, so it will have to take a littlebit of time to get to the point where we WANT to be;)
Hang in there, and hopefully someone else in here that can see your pictures can give you some better feedback:)

Good luck to us both:cheese::disco:

naereid
May 2nd, 2010, 02:55 PM
Don't worry, your hair is far from terrible!

Mine is similar. The ends get clumpy when it airdries (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5208&pictureid=70859). I think it does that because it's trying to curl, but is too weak. Brushing it helps (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5208&pictureid=69149), but may cause frizz. Try and see how it works for you! I bet you can brush with no terribly adverse effects if you make sure to detangle first and be very gentle.

As for layers, I feel your pain. I'm growing them out right now, stuck at BSL. Lucky you're at waist! :) Anyway, here's what I've decided on doing in order to lose them: http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.com/2010/03/even-hemline-without-loosing-length.html
It seems like a really good solution to help your hair, grow out your layers, and not lose the length while you're doing it!

Good luck. Don't give up just yet. :)

pinklemonade
May 2nd, 2010, 03:07 PM
Hi ladies, thank you for the supportive words! Buttercream, I will definitely continue treating my hair well but I've just become a little demoralized because it's been about....six months that I've been really nice to it but I don't see much of an improvement! I will keep at it though and we'll see....good luck to you too! :)

Naereid, thank you for the suggestions I will go check out your blog now -can't wait! I am happy about my hair's length but since it's not healthy, I'm worried it won't be long anymore soon....Glad you know what a pain in the neck these layers are!!!

pinklemonade
May 2nd, 2010, 03:17 PM
oh and I forgot to say, what about these damaged areas I see in the middle of my hairs (splits that don't split yet)? Does anyone else get them or is my hair fried?:rolleyes:
Wish there was a way to seal them or something. Like I wrote, in order to get rid of all these little damaged bits, I would have to get a VEry short haircut which isn't what I would like, not because I don't like short hair, but because it took me like seven years to grow out!:shocked:

Capybara
May 2nd, 2010, 03:26 PM
Naereid I was thinking the same thing! I think that's such a good blog post.

Pinklemonade, your hair is so pretty! I wish I had waves :)

Believe it or not, but I get splits way up my hair too. I think it's a combination of me not putting my hair up enough :o and having long hair. I've learned not to mind, though - the important thing is that I enjoy my hair.

If you're uncomfortable with your hair, and don't like the way it looks, maybe try a small trim to see how you feel after? Your layers look good to me, but if you can't stand them, you could try cutting off a small bit. Sometimes that's all it takes.

HTH :flower: and Hang in there!!

naereid
May 2nd, 2010, 03:29 PM
Naereid, thank you for the suggestions I will go check out your blog now -can't wait! I am happy about my hair's length but since it's not healthy, I'm worried it won't be long anymore soon....Glad you know what a pain in the neck these layers are!!!
Oh I'm sorry, I should have specified - it's not my blog, it's another LHCer's blog. :)

Wish I could say something about those splits, but I have no advice up my sleeve on that topic. But it took me a while to accept that splits and long hair just go hand in hand. All we can do is try not to let them get too wild.

sweet*things
May 2nd, 2010, 03:30 PM
I think it's maybe all the layers are encouraging your hair to look "piece-y". I'd just keep trimming them off little by little and your hair will improve.

Is it just a hair here and there with the high up damage, or is it a lot? If it's just a few I'd trim them above the damage, but if is a bunch of them, I'd be inclined to leave them but be very diligent about S&D. That way if they did break off, you could trim the split and prevent it from moving any further upward, but keep as much length as possible for as long as possible.

Mamakash
May 2nd, 2010, 03:41 PM
I think your hair looks very nice. I would think the waves you have would mask a bit more damage than straight hair would, every little imperfection seems to show in straight hair. Was your hair better in the past, or are you imagining that is was? I remember thinking my hair was thicker than it is now, but my memory is selective. I know the ponytail I took off was sadly thin . . . it didn't feel so small on my head.
Splits an inch or two up the hair shaft? I've had highlights twice and have not cut them all out, and I notice spots an inch or two up that have started to wear through. Is that what you mean? I keep putting off trimming my hair but will try to get two to three inches off next time. I hate the skimpy quality of the ends . . . I would have never gotten highlights is I knew they caused so much breakage!

ButterCream
May 2nd, 2010, 03:44 PM
Hi ladies, thank you for the supportive words! Buttercream, I will definitely continue treating my hair well but I've just become a little demoralized because it's been about....six months that I've been really nice to it but I don't see much of an improvement! I will keep at it though and we'll see....good luck to you too! :)

Ok, then I understand how you must feel no wonder!:flower:
But I am sure you will get there in the end:heart:
And thanks for the kind words, hang in there:waving:

pinklemonade
May 2nd, 2010, 04:34 PM
Aw thank you for the support Capybara! :) I do like waves, but if they're natural waves! Mine are artificial, permed, wannabe waves going through a weird phase right now :p Yes I might try like you suggested a (teeeny) trim if the longer ends start to get worse....

Don't worry Naereid, that's actually a very useful blog and I'm glad you shared it! Yes I guess some types of hair will always have splits so I'm going to stop going crazy over them!

Sweetthings, yes it's exactly that: the layers are giving me this 'piecy' look and as if that wasn't enough the hairdresser also thinned out my hair with a razor...the damage I have isn't something you'd notice right away by looking but when I S&D, I find quite a few here and there. I'm not sure if it's something to worry over or not, but I think I'm going to continue S&D when I have time and leave the rest to coconut oil.....it might prevent any damaget to get Worse at least, right?

Thank you Mamakash! Haha I think I've forgotten how my hair used to look like because it's been so long! I've been perming it and getting weird haircuts...but it was definitely healthier if not thicker. Yes, I think that's the split I mean (where if you cut that damaged part in the middle, a split is formed?). I found a couple today about 7/8 inches up my hairs. Horrible. Highlights don't help either, we should super moisturize our hair now and pamper it after all these chemical treatments....