PDA

View Full Version : Does an itchy scalp signify a problem?

glitterati
May 7th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Since I've switched to an non SLS shampoo, my scalp has been itchy, but I'm not noticing a change in the amount of hairs shed (which is my indicator of whether things are well). When I used to use an SLS shampoo, this kind of itching would happen on days 4 to 7, so I'm guessing it cleaned my scalp a lot better than the non SLS. So, I'm wondering, how concerned should I be about the itching?

akurah
May 7th, 2008, 12:06 PM
If it annoys you, I'd recommend switching shampoos either back to your old stuff or to some other SLS free brand.

My scalp itchies have been driving me batty lately (and I do anything from conditioner-only washes to SLS shampoo to SLS free shampoo), so I recently switched to Head and Shoulders, following it up with the Sally Generic Humectress knockoff. I've noticed both less shedding (anywhere from 10% to 30% less) and overall happier hair and scalp, so I don't think I'll switch again soon. My scalp doesn't itch no more either, so I'm happy. Head and Shoulders has SLS, though, so if you're avoiding it, well, avoid Head and Shoulders. :)

You could try looking for non-SLS dandruff shampoo (even if you don't have dandruff) to see if that helps with the itchies? This goes from the logic that Head and Shoulders, a dandruff SLS shampoo, helped MY itchies, despite me being dandruff free.

aglaiah
May 7th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I always had an itchy head. So I still use a sles because the ones without made it more itchy

I wouldnt use head and shoulders though, Its a really hard product, and I think I may end up stripping my hair to much. Im trying to mingle aloe vera gel with my shampoo now, I dont know if it does anything just experimenting a bit, ill keep u posted ^^

CopperHead
May 7th, 2008, 04:02 PM
You might want to try mixing some Rosemary essential oil with a little Jojoba, or another light oil. Massage it into your scalp very gently and let it sit for awhile. Then wash it out and see if your scalp feels better. I used to get a very itchy scalp but with trying different products and using henna, it has stopped. The Rosemary scalp massage feels really good too. :)

akurah
May 7th, 2008, 04:49 PM
I always had an itchy head. So I still use a sles because the ones without made it more itchy

I wouldnt use head and shoulders though, Its a really hard product, and I think I may end up stripping my hair to much. Im trying to mingle aloe vera gel with my shampoo now, I dont know if it does anything just experimenting a bit, ill keep u posted ^^

What, praytell, is so bad about Head and Shoulders?

jesamyn
May 7th, 2008, 05:03 PM
I don't have chronic itchy scalp, but I go through the occasional itchy phase usually lasting a week or so. When it's happened in the past, I've either used rosemary rinse or worked a lot a Nature's Gate Rosemary Conditioner (not sure it's still made) into my scalp. It helped immensely.

alligatorbaby23
May 7th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Rosemary Tea Tree and Mint..All great for the itch.. I believe itchy scalp may mean growth though, personally, or a shed cycle, since it is spring, I have noticed new growth from my shed itchy scalp, a huge shed, and now alas my head is happy again!
Scritching may help also (stimulating the scalp with either your fingernails or comb, albeit gently to help loosen dead skin and clogged follicles)
Well wishes..
-mao

chrissy-b
May 7th, 2008, 06:03 PM
My scalp gets uber itchy unless I CO daily and CWC at least twice a week. I found a shampoo that works wonders for me: Desert Essence Therapeutic Treatment Shampoo. I bought it at my local co-op. It's SLS free and is for problematic scalps and head lice (ewh, I know). It's very thick and you only have to use a little and with this shampoo I can get away with only washing once a week w/o getting the itchies.

If your hair doesn't like protein I wouldn't recommend it (it has hydrolyzed wheat protein) but it also has tea tree, lavender, rosemary, geranium, and camomile oil which are all great for your hair and scalp.

aglaiah
May 8th, 2008, 02:20 AM

Me and my boyfriend got a lot of hairshed from it after a while. I don't know, it stopped after I used a different shampoo, that's just my experience, Yours can be different I know.

florenonite
May 8th, 2008, 02:43 AM

I think it can be too harsh on your hair, as true dandruff often comes with greasy hair, so it combats that. IIRC it has got things like SLS in it, and if an itchy scalp is itchy due to dryness it can be bad. In my own experience, too, I was WO for about six weeks when camping, came back and used H&S and needed to wash my hair 2 or 3 days later, and I suspect that if I'd used a gentler method of washing (or even WO) I might not have had to go back to my old washing every other day schedule. That's just me theorising, though, and if it works for you you might as well continue using it.

Ursula
May 8th, 2008, 05:54 AM
The problem with itching is that it is uncomfortable. That, in and of itself, makes it something that needs to be addressed.

If Head and Shoulders is the best thing for controlling the itching, I suggest that you use it with a CWC routine, so that you get the benefits on your scalp, but don't have as much of the full strength shampoo on your length. You might also try diluting it in a squirt bottle, the better to direct the good stuff under your hair so it hits your scalp directly.

Some people do best with sulfate shampoos. And if that is what keeps them the most comfortable, then that is what is gentlest for them. It is impossible to generalize about what will or won't work.