PDA

View Full Version : Alice in Wonderland hairstyle

Charlotte:)
May 1st, 2010, 08:55 PM
Does anybody know how to do this hairstyle? My ponytails are always slicked back (even when I make my hair wavy), but I really like how her's kind of poofs out and she keeps the part in.

http://images.dailyradar.com/media/uploads/showhype/photos_large/2008/09/28/alice4.jpg

moderator ETA: pleas note the On Posting Pictures - Hotlinking with IMG Tags and Copyright Issues (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=35939).

Amraann
May 1st, 2010, 09:08 PM
It looks like she has an extension in.

To get the looser sides...
Pull it back from the sides like normal... Slide your hand down the tail a bit (an inch or so) then push that flush to your head and put in your scrunchie or clip.

I hope that makes sense! It is hard to describe in type. LOL

GuinevereMay
May 1st, 2010, 09:10 PM
Make the sides loose, while the rest of the pony tail is tight. Like, the top part under the sides would be tight like a normal ponytail.

voluspa
May 1st, 2010, 09:36 PM
I look terrible with slicked-back hair so I always do a poof. I don't know if it's the healthiest for your hair, but if you put the ponytail up a bit off your head and then pull the ponytail in opposite directions until the band is tighly secured at your scalp, that should create a poof around your head. Am I explaining this terribly? You might also try just putting it up loosely without combing it up or anything.

Themyst
May 1st, 2010, 09:58 PM
My hair used to look like that when I wore a butterfly clip - could it be something like that? And if I poofed my hair around it, you couldn't hardly see the clip at all.

ETA: I meant banana clip, not butterfly clip. I guess it doesn't matter that they both start with B!

little_cherry
May 1st, 2010, 10:59 PM
To me, it looks like it was done with a banana clip (http://www.mhrw.com/Resourses/a-banana2.gif). The hair is gathered loosely at the back and clipped in.

Speckla
May 1st, 2010, 11:03 PM
It might be a hairpiece. It's slightly darker than her roots and looks a little too full to be her real hair.

JBO
May 1st, 2010, 11:35 PM
It looks like a hair piece. The cheerleaders at my high school used to wear them for competitions and they looked just like that, with the slight color difference.

LittleOrca
May 2nd, 2010, 12:37 AM
Her hair is probably a wig, or at least several extra peices in it. Now, she has pixie short (http://www.haironthebrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/mia-wasikowska-short-hair.jpg) hair.

Ballerina_Boo
May 2nd, 2010, 06:29 AM
I'm going to agree on the banana clip theory . Doesn't look like a extension to me. If you watch her in things before Alice she has very long curly hair. Must have cut it after doing Alice. Boy i wish i could pull off a pixie that well.

piratejenny23
May 2nd, 2010, 11:44 AM
ETA: it's easier to keep your part when you make a ponytail (even a tight slicked-back one) the lower the ponytail is.

here's a way to do it:

part your hair and make a ponytail that is in between where you would put a high or low ponytail (about level with the tops of your ears). pull the elastic or scrunchie away from your head a bit if you want a looser look.

flip the tail over the crown of your head (it may be sort of hanging over your face, depending on the length, and it may be easier if you bend your head so that it's parallel to the floor). use a wide barrette to secure the ponytail to the back of your head (about 3 inches above the ponytail "base"). the wider the barrette, the more "fluff" you'll get! you could even experiment with a couple of barrettes or a few jaw clips to fan it out more.
ETA:depending on the thickness of your hair, big clips or barrettes may stick out too much.
now drop your hair back over the clips. you will have shortened your ponytail a good deal.

another way to do this, giving you more control over the look in the front:

part your hair side to side (ear to ear, like where a headband goes). make a ponytail with the back section of hair (again, not-too-low/not-too-high, but leave the ponytail tight)

part your front hair as you wish. take sections and twist/arrange loosely, pulling the ends back and criss-crossing them over the ponytail. gather these mini-tails and secure them under the ponytail with a small barrette or bobby pins.

ETA: looking at the photo more closely, i think you could get away with "reserving" just a fringe of hair around your face, making a ponytail with the rest, and then pinning back the front bits for a softer look than just a slicked-back ponytail.

now flip your main ponytail up and secure as described above.

have fun and i hope that helped!

i have very straight hair but i think this style looks great with curls!

Charlotte:)
May 2nd, 2010, 07:58 PM
Thanks! I shall experiment with all these suggestions!

teela1978
May 2nd, 2010, 08:03 PM
If I was going to try to do that, I'd separate out most of my front hair to keep it loose, and then make a ponytail with the rest of my hair. Then I'd pin the front bits back into/towards the ponytail. Not sure if that makes any sense at all.