PDA

View Full Version : Does oiling your scalp...

wahmof9
May 1st, 2010, 04:40 PM
Does oiling your scalp cause increased shedding. It seems to me that if I oil my scalp the shedding is a lot but if I do not I shed very little.

I used to think it was a certain brand of oil so I changed...but it seems that on the day I oil I shed.

Also are the benefits of oil worth it?

Anyone else with this issue?

tina1025
May 1st, 2010, 09:27 PM
Thats what i though too but i shed a lot less with castor oil....I know i shed a lot with coconut oil. so may be it depends on the type of oil we use!?!?!?

Meagan
May 1st, 2010, 10:08 PM
It makes me shed when I use virgin coconut oil as a deep oil treatment. I stopped putting it on my sculp and just do mid shaft to ends.

wahmof9
May 3rd, 2010, 09:53 PM
Thank you!

Unofficial_Rose
May 4th, 2010, 12:43 AM
I'm using bhringraj oil on my scalp for the first time at the moment. Will let you know if it causes more shedding. :)

Ojon treatment is meant to be massaged into the acalp as well as the length, but when I did this, I shed like mad. Won't be doing that again!

habioku
May 4th, 2010, 12:57 AM
I use olive oil for my scalp massage and I notice no increased shedding.

Flynn
May 4th, 2010, 01:31 AM
Scalp oiling causes me to shed more, regardless of the type of oil.

Diamondbell
May 4th, 2010, 06:27 AM
For me it depends which oil. I don't have problem with coconut oil or sesame oil or even emu oil. But with other oils (mixture of olive oil and mineral oil which I recently used - that was a mistake) or castor oil, I have shedding. Also switching frequently to different oils causes shedding (for me).

Now I am using only coconut oil or sesame oil or sometimes emu oil and this is OK. It is definitely better than not oiling.

Cleopatra18
May 5th, 2010, 06:21 AM
OMG this is how i feel too :( i was trying to think it's just my imagination but i really doubt it.i think it's coconut oil that mainly causes increased shedding.

MandaMom2Three
May 5th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I don't know what on earth to do, oiling my scalp makes me shed like MAD, BUT my scalp feels so crazy good when I oil it :shrug:

getoffmyskittle
May 5th, 2010, 11:57 AM
If you have increased shedding from scalp oiling, it could be from rubbing/friction. Try stroking/smoothing gently, not rubbing in circles or massaging, and see if that helps.

ArienEllariel
May 5th, 2010, 12:27 PM
I haven't noticed this. I've been using oil on the drier areas of my scalp but so far I shed just as little as I usually do.

burns_erin
May 5th, 2010, 04:16 PM
I second the being gentle thing. When i started I was really scrubbing it in to get it to my scalp. when i switched to using an eye dropper, blunt tipped large gauge syringe, or marinade injector, the problem stopped.

Good luck to you.

spidermom
May 5th, 2010, 05:22 PM
My scalp self-oils with sebum. Then I apply coconut oil to the length, lean over so my hair falls toward the floor, and give my hair and scalp a good combing, letting the blunt teeth of the hardwood comb drag along my scalp. It feels super-duper good, and no increased shedding.