PDA

View Full Version : Just cut off four inches. . . WAAAH

zen_oven
May 1st, 2010, 01:28 PM
Yup, lopped off the bottom four inches. Honestly, my hair's been driving me nuts for months because I've been going through this horrible phase of trying to grow out my layers. My stylist took one look this morning and said I'd really need to cut off the last three or four inches to make it look better while it grows. She showed me where the ends were super see-through and splitting terribly. So I agreed. Trust me, this stylist is awesome about NOT cutting off more than I am comfortable with, and she knows how I feel about my hair and doesn't push me. But oh, woe, I'm back at APL. Or at least it looks that way with my curls.

I'm making it sound like I regret it terribly, but really, it was the best choice as it looks so much better. This will help me build some thickness and strength. It was tangling horribly before, really see-through, and just looking frizzy and straggly. I'm a bit bummed though, as I felt I was making so much progress.

So yeah, I'm having a pity parade, so won't you throw confetti while I stand on my crepe paper-covered float and wave?

growing2shine
May 1st, 2010, 01:51 PM
I know how your feeling. I did the same a few weeks ago. I tried a lot of S&D but my hair didn't get any better so I had to cut it :(... but when I cut of about 4-5" it got so much better :D

Amraann
May 1st, 2010, 01:52 PM
If it feels healthier then try to be happy with that?

I recently cut off 4 inches as well (two months ago)
It really needed it.

PrincessTieflin
May 1st, 2010, 01:55 PM
I didnt cut off 4 inches but I did cut off a little over an inch the other night. All I can say is that it made my fine curly hair look fuller, and my curls bounce more :)

Enjoy your nice new ends :)

ButterCream
May 1st, 2010, 02:14 PM
Not exactly confetti, but what I could find...And Skittles isn`t half bad...is it?:):magic::cheer::skittles: <-Skittles!!

freckles
May 1st, 2010, 02:54 PM
I'm glad it was a positive change for you, and I totally understand having a pity party even while having no regrets. Enjoy your lovely blunt ends -- you'll gain the four inches back soon enough :)

spidermom
May 1st, 2010, 03:36 PM
That length will be back before you know it. I had 4 inches removed in January, and I think my hair is back to the same length now as before the cut; close to it, anyway.

Happy smooth ends!

seedge
May 1st, 2010, 04:13 PM
I'm making it sound like I regret it terribly, but really, it was the best choice as it looks so much better. This will help me build some thickness and strength. It was tangling horribly before, really see-through, and just looking frizzy and straggly. I'm a bit bummed though, as I felt I was making so much progress.

The progress is still there. It's just inside of you for now.

You have learned how to care for your hair; what routines work, and sometimes even more importantly, what doesn't work, and are growing happy and healthy hair.

It won't be long before what you have learned and the progess you have made will show again in the length you will achieve.

I have these rose bushes. This spring for the first time in almost 5 years, they are covered in beautiful, fragrant and vibrant flowers. Last fall? I had to really get in there and prune them back and it made me sad. Poor rosies all so short- how can they possible benefit from this intense treatment? And now? They've gone nuts with roses - everywhere - roses. Maybe you hair will be like my roses.

Here's to hard decisions. I'll wave at you as you go by. I'll be the one in the Pity Parade Hat covered in roses.

naereid
May 1st, 2010, 04:24 PM
My stylist took one look this morning and said I'd really need to cut off the last three or four inches to make it look better while it grows. She showed me where the ends were super see-through and splitting terribly. So I agreed. Trust me, this stylist is awesome about NOT cutting off more than I am comfortable with, and she knows how I feel about my hair and doesn't push me.
Are you me? :grnbiggri 'Cause seriously, I had that exact same conversation with my hairstylist two weeks ago.

I know how much it hurts right now, and you do deserve a pity party! But you just have to keep telling yourself it's for the best. The new hair that's about to come in its place will surely be in a bit of a better shape than the hair that got cut off.

Oh. seedge's beautiful post says it all, really. :blossom:

Night_Kitten
May 2nd, 2010, 01:10 PM
I know how you feel - at the begining of March I cut off 8 cm (little more than 3''), and also had mixed feelings. I really missed the length, even though I knew the trim was absolutely nesessary, but at the same time my hair looked and felt so much better and I really loved my new thicker and even hemline...
Your hair is much healthier now and will look so much better as it grows longer :)

zen_oven
May 2nd, 2010, 04:18 PM
I wasn't too horribly broken up about it yesterday, though I did sigh over it a bit. I'm actually quite pleased with it now that I slept on it. . . literally. It's not tangling horribly like it was and it's easier to comb and style now that that damaged four inches is gone. Now I can probably start microtrimming every few months until the layers are gone and I've built some thickness. It'll come back fast.

Thanks for the encouragement, all. You are awesome.

Burgundyhair
May 2nd, 2010, 06:28 PM
I hear you!! I went from WL to just above shoulders in one snip last fall. By doing that, I got rid of most of the chemically processed hair. My hair is in much better shape now and what a difference when I used henna on virgin hair instead of processed. It was so soft! It'll grow back in no time.

mattt
May 2nd, 2010, 07:14 PM
If its healthier and looks better then its positive. It was a step toward your goal, thats how i would think of it.

Nyghtingale
May 2nd, 2010, 07:30 PM
I recently had 4 inches cut of too. It was tangling so bad on the ends. It took me a few days to get used to it, but it looks so much better.

RenaBanana
May 2nd, 2010, 07:32 PM
Aww, well at least it look better now!
I'm going in to get my hair trimmed (hopefully) only by 1/2 inch. We'll see what happens :S

ali beast
May 2nd, 2010, 08:43 PM
Oh wow, seedge's reply was really beautiful :)

Here's to fresh starts for spring time!

LaurelSpring
May 2nd, 2010, 08:57 PM
I did that in August and Im still upset about it! If I hadnt done that it would be past waist now probably almost tb. I would still have that little rat tail looking thing but I missed it like crazy.

jane01
July 6th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Awww......well at least those annoying layers have gone now

akevita2002
July 6th, 2010, 11:22 AM
It will grow back and also you will take better care of it and it'll be awesome! :) Healthy hair matters more than long hair in my opinion.

Loreley
July 6th, 2010, 01:16 PM
It's good that you don't feel bad about it. It will grow back and at least your hair looks more beautiful now. :blossom:

triumphator!
July 6th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Yeah but you'll be so much happier when your ends grow out thicker! I'd baby the hell out of them just to get over my sadness with parting with hair.