PDA

View Full Version : I think I hit "Mental Terminal"

JenniferNoel
May 1st, 2010, 10:50 AM
Again.
Well, for years, I've always looked at hair as more of an art canvas than a fine piece of lace.
As you can see, I love to style, cut, and dye hair and am considering attending beauty school to become a hair stylist (if anyone has tips on that, it would be greatly appreciated if you could share in any way), ever since I was three years old, all I did was buy barbies to cut and style their hair. And after attempting the long hair journey two or three times, I only made it once, and of course, there was a tragic accident. Now, every time I hit top BSL, I have this urge to dye around, trim, shape, style, and experiment. I'm not the biggest fan of up-dos, but when I wear it down, I hate when it blows in my face and gets tangled like crazy. It's a PITA to braid/bun before bed every night, I'm very tired at the end of the day and it's just another nuisance at the end of each day.
I love having my "long" hair (by most people's standards, that is what it is), but I feel that if I go too much longer, the frustration will get to me.
I'm not going to cut, just kinda maintain until I feel I can handle a couple more inches.
I miss being able to paint the canvas and carve the wood without worrying too much.
Of course, I'm still going to be very gentle with my hair, but really, I'm starting to feel that super long hair just isn't for me at the moment.
I just thought I'd get it off my chest. Sorry about the mini-rant, I just needed to tell some of you understanding folks about my dilemma. Thanks for understanding. :flower:

:trainwreck:

FrannyG
May 1st, 2010, 10:57 AM
BSL is long hair in the real world. Too often people at LHC lose sight of that. And what your goal should be is what makes you happy.

I think your hair is lovely, and I hope that you keep on enjoying, playing with and maintaining your lovely, long, BSL hair. :blossom:

TiaKitty
May 1st, 2010, 11:02 AM
I agree with doing what makes you happy. I like my hair long, but when it gets past tailbone it starts to aggrivate me. I do best with keeping mine waist-ish.

I'm not a big color changer, but I like to see those who do. I like your blonde locks, by the way!

marikamt
May 1st, 2010, 11:06 AM
BSL is long hair in the real world. Too often people at LHC lose sight of that. And what your goal should be is what makes you happy.

I think your hair is lovely, and I hope that you keep on enjoying, playing with and maintaining your lovely, long, BSL hair. :blossom:

Beautifully said....
it is YOUR hair, it should be there for YOU to enjoy.......

Beaglebuddy
May 1st, 2010, 11:10 AM
I just wanted to say I understand how you feel.
My thing is I have a difficult time (and actually have decided I don't want to) with spreading washing days. I love washing every day. So I don't think hip length and beyond will ever come. But I am not worried.
I'd say as FrannyG said BSL is long !

Oskimosa
May 1st, 2010, 11:22 AM
I can totally respect that, have been there, and you have all the time in the world to grow it out later if this isn't what you want now.

Amraann
May 1st, 2010, 12:11 PM
If your not happy or comfortable with your hair being longer then you should not grow it longer.
If however your just at a point where its not as long as you like and it is getting on your nerves....
You should try to wait it out for 2 months.
Is it that other stresses in your life are getting to you and your taking it out on your hair?

Whatever the case it is your hair! So do what makes you happy.

Be well!

Kristin
May 1st, 2010, 12:55 PM
I understand completely. At this point, my hair is longer than it has been since I was about 9 or 10. I would usually layer it and dye it red, black, or highlight at this point. I would heat style when I felt like it (which, admittedly, was never very frequently, anyway). Now that I want to grow to waist (or, um...maybe hip), I know that I cannot do those things. Right now, it is more important to me to have looong hair than "fun" hair, but that may change in the future and I will cut, dye, or whatever.

Your hair is for you enjoy and express yourself. Do what makes YOU happy. :)

Speckla
May 1st, 2010, 01:04 PM
You have to do what makes you happy with your hair and yourself. Short hair, permed hair, relaxed or whatever else people do to their hair is fine because it's on their heads. I just don't agree with stylist or society telling people they have to do those to be beautiful. I feel disheartened for women who do those because they feel what grows on their heads in unacceptable, makes them ugly, and therefore they must do 'X' to be ok. If you like it, it makes you feel good then go for it. Don't conform to any standard - long or short - if you don't like it.

Arctic_Mama
May 1st, 2010, 02:32 PM
I agree with everyone else, giving into peer pressure HERE is as bad as us being pressured in RL - in the end it is YOUR hair and aesthetic, and if BSL is your goal and you love it there, why change for longer? Not all of us want super length, we're not 'less' of a hair lover for having a different preference. Whatever makes you the most happy is what you should choose, and I am sure it will look great :)

JenniferNoel
May 1st, 2010, 03:38 PM
Heh. Thanks y'all. I appreciate your kind words - it is correct, I do what makes me the happiest. With art and haircare in mind.
:grouphug:

May
May 18th, 2010, 11:08 PM
I can relate to your mental terminal. When I grew my hair out a few years ago I finally reached a point where I felt my hair was "long" which was almost waist length. It was at this point that I had a strong desire to cut bangs! Why oh why did I do that I could not tell you. After cutting bangs I became unhappy with my hair and went in for a trim at the hair salon. I got a bad cut and went even shorter to fix it. To make a long story short I now have a short inverted bob that I am totally unhappy with and I want nothing more than to grow my hair out again to at least BSL. So as you can see I totally get where you're coming from.

Loreley
May 19th, 2010, 01:29 AM
Just do what makes you happy! :)

jel
May 19th, 2010, 03:51 AM
I love the phrase "mental terminal"! That's exactly what I hit in the last few months... My hair would grow longer, but I wasn't comfortable letting it do so.

Oh, and you can still paint your canvas at BSL and longer - there are many LHC members who do and have beautiful, healthy hair as well!