PDA

View Full Version : At a loss: hair for graduation

Flynn
May 1st, 2010, 06:10 AM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b106/maccallister/HairApril.jpg

Hey, guys.

I'm a bit stuck as to what to do with my hair for my graduation. I can't do any of my usual things, as I have to wear a trencher (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_academic_cap). I don't feel comfortable wearing it down, which is what most of the girls do. I'm even more unsure, because I recently cut from hip-ish (http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b106/maccallister/unbrushed2.png) to BSL-ish, as shown above.

It's a bachelor's degree, so it's a black trencher and gown, and my hood is edged with pale yellow. (It's meant to be amber, but they're really very pale gold...)

Ideas?

:flower:

Maverick494
May 1st, 2010, 06:49 AM
I'm not sure I get your question. You're unsure of wearing it down? I saw your picture and though it's pretty dark I see pretty, thick and healthy looking hair. What's wrong with showing that off?

It may not be as long as before, but it looks (in my opinion) healthier now.

Flynn
May 1st, 2010, 06:54 AM
I'm not unsure of it; I'm not at all comfotable wearing it down, but having to wear a trencher limits what I can do with it. It's very thick even though it's not very long, so all the buns and the few hairtoys I have will get in the way of the back point of the trencher... so I need ideas of something else to do, that's a bit more fancy than my regular, daggy three-strand braid with layers sticking out all over the shop, hahahaha.

(Yes, there are layers in there. No, you can't really tell, they're very long, but I know all about it when I braid.)

Heh, as for healthier now or then, the difference is probably that the old image is a typing photo -- no product. The newer one is oiled. Also in a different light. Also has layers in it which controls the way the wurls form -- so it looks less stringy. >_o

embee
May 1st, 2010, 06:59 AM
I'd go for a low-on-the-nape bun with hairsticks. That's *so* easy to take out when the trencher comes off! :) Also it has a very sophisticated look and should not get in the way of the "hat" part. You may not like a low nape bun but with the trencher it will look remarkably different. Just *please* do not angle the thing the way I see some girls do, it's supposed to be flat, on top of the head! Geez, that "on the back of the head" or "tilted over one eye" looks so silly.

You can dress this look up nicely with a great pair of earrings, either dangle or studs. Someone will take a picture of you, and you'll want it to look seriously good and timeless 50 years from now.

Congrats on the graduation, that's a major step. The hood sounds lovely, maybe you have some sticks that would go nicely? Black and gold, a good combo. :)

Flynn
May 1st, 2010, 07:10 AM
I'd go for a low-on-the-nape bun with hairsticks. That's *so* easy to take out when the trencher comes off! :) Also it has a very sophisticated look and should not get in the way of the "hat" part. You may not like a low nape bun but with the trencher it will look remarkably different. Just *please* do not angle the thing the way I see some girls do, it's supposed to be flat, on top of the head! Geez, that "on the back of the head" or "tilted over one eye" looks so silly.

You can dress this look up nicely with a great pair of earrings, either dangle or studs. Someone will take a picture of you, and you'll want it to look seriously good and timeless 50 years from now.

Congrats on the graduation, that's a major step. The hood sounds lovely, maybe you have some sticks that would go nicely? Black and gold, a good combo. :)

^__^ Thanks! The weird thing is, our graduations are so far behind our actual completion dates that I've already well and truly started what's meant to be the next big step... (PhD)... It'll be nice to have that wind-up for the bachelor's degree, though... finally! Hahahaha.

Here's the big, big problem, though; unless I do a sort of a dangling bun, the point on the back of the trencher (when worn correctly) is too low to accommodate it. My hair's on the shorter side for here, but I still have a 4" diameter bun.

ETA: Oh, unless I let the point of the trencher sit behind the bun itself... but then I can't take it off to salute, and will have to curtsy... and I'm the type of gal who'd rather salute properly... I mean, I'll probably be wearing trousers anyway, and curtsies look rather silly in trousers!

joiekimochi
May 1st, 2010, 07:15 AM
Aww man, I was meant to graduate this year in July too, but the Dean's Office screwed up my graduation matters so in the end I have to wait till next year for commencement, although I will technically graduate this year.

I would go with a low bun, or a Gibson tuck. I heard from a graduated senior that commencement for her was ruined when she got her long hair caught in the zip of the gown (it was zipped up at the back. So I definitely wouldn't be wearing my hair loose as well!

How about a messy, curly bun to the side, behind your left/right ear, and a pretty decorative (and matching) hairtoy to adorn it?

Flynn
May 1st, 2010, 07:20 AM
Aww man, I was meant to graduate this year in July too, but the Dean's Office screwed up my graduation matters so in the end I have to wait till next year for commencement, although I will technically graduate this year.

I would go with a low bun, or a Gibson tuck. I heard from a graduated senior that commencement for her was ruined when she got her long hair caught in the zip of the gown (it was zipped up at the back. So I definitely wouldn't be wearing my hair loose as well!

How about a messy, curly bun to the side, behind your left/right ear, and a pretty decorative (and matching) hairtoy to adorn it?

Aaaw, that sucks!

A Gibson tuck is the one where you topsy-tail it and then put the ends back into the pouch, right? I was toying with that, combined with hair rolls (http://www.dressytresses.com/hair/gallery/instruct/hair-roll/)... but I definitely need more practice on the tuck bit! (I just got ends everywhere...)

The side bun could be nice, too... I hadn't thought of that. I'd briefly considered two low buns, but then thought it was too cutesy...

joiekimochi
May 1st, 2010, 07:25 AM
Yup, that's the Gibson tuck! I've personally never tried it either; I could never get the ends to stay tucked in nicely!

Two low buns can be made less cutesy. Think flamenco dancers; the hair is put into two very low buns, and do they look sex-ay!

Flynn
May 1st, 2010, 07:27 AM
Yup, that's the Gibson tuck! I've personally never tried it either; I could never get the ends to stay tucked in nicely!

Two low buns can be made less cutesy. Think flamenco dancers; the hair is put into two very low buns, and do they look sex-ay!

That's true, isn't it... hmmm....

pdy2kn6
May 1st, 2010, 09:43 AM
Another fellow graduator in july here!!! I am unsure how I am going to be able to get my bun low enough to fit under my cap. I will just have to try because I don't like wearing my hair down. I would just say maybe a bun or a braid maybe for you if you like wearing them?

lemonmelon
May 1st, 2010, 10:46 AM
What about a side braid? Maybe a loose fish tail braid. It's a little less formal but cute and if you go for a messy look then it won't really matter if the top get's messed up by your hat!

teela1978
May 1st, 2010, 10:56 AM
I've always worn mine down for graduations, its just easier... but a braid or folded braid both work well with a mortarboard. The folded braid always feels more professional to me.

ETA: and saluting? who do you salute? I've never done that at a graduation before. Is that an Australian thing?

One more eta: if you've got a hood make sure to wear a button down shirt. Hoods usually have a nice little loop to hook onto a shirt so you don't get choked by the yards of fabric hanging around your throat. Its probably more relevant with the PhD hood as its bigger, but those little ones can start to get annoying too.

And another eta: actually, 2 side braids tucked into each other and kinda hanging down could be cute too. At BSL they'd probably look great!

naereid
May 1st, 2010, 11:01 AM
What about a side braid? Maybe a loose fish tail braid. It's a little less formal but cute and if you go for a messy look then it won't really matter if the top get's messed up by your hat!
That's what I wanted to suggest, too. A fish braid is different from the regular 3-strand, and won't get in the way of the cap.

For my graduation last autumn I made a low flipped ponytail (http://www.dressytresses.com/hair/gallery/instruct/hair-flip/default.asp). But when they put that cap on me, oh dear, I thought I looked totally bald from the front! :grnbiggri So I just let it loose. :o

klcqtee
May 1st, 2010, 11:01 AM
Do a 4 strand braid (simple to learn, and you have enough length, it doesn't need to be more than 3 or 4" long), then fold it up, with the tassle ending up inside the roll, and skewer with a hairstick. It stays well, and is very low to the neck, but more interesting and special than a simple low bun. a three strand braid would probably work, but I like the look of a 4 strand more for this bun.

TiaKitty
May 1st, 2010, 11:16 AM
I suggest doing a roll down each side to avoid the bald from the front issue and give you some volume, and then do a low pony and do one of those fantastic looking rope braids that is two ropes twined together. As for your layers, just have a long tassel at the end. Oiling beforehand may help keep your layers from going hawyire.

How about pins? Will you use bobby pins? Could you get some of the Good Days hair pins to try to control your layers?

I also like the Gibson tuck idea. It always looks ... elegant to me!

Altocumulus
May 1st, 2010, 12:43 PM
I always wore mine down as well. I'm graduating in a few weeks (the ceremony part, anyway - I actually defended my doctorate last September), and I plan to wear a half-up. I haven't picked up my tam yet, so plans may change accordingly once I've actually had a chance to try it on.

I've heard that about the button down shirt, but I'm not really sure what to do, since I don't even own one, much less plan to wear one. Also, no pockets in the robe, but a pocket-slit so you can access your nonexistent pockets? Sure seems like academic regalia are designed to be worn with men's clothing! I guess more experimentation will be in order.

So you call the flat hat a trencher? I've never heard that term before - they are mortarboards here. I got a silly tan from mine at my undergrad ceremony because I neglected sunscreen!

Congrats to all who are graduating!

Arctic_Mama
May 1st, 2010, 02:37 PM
Have you thought about a nice rope braid over one shoulder?

Flynn
May 1st, 2010, 05:06 PM
Another fellow graduator in july here!!! I am unsure how I am going to be able to get my bun low enough to fit under my cap. I will just have to try because I don't like wearing my hair down. I would just say maybe a bun or a braid maybe for you if you like wearing them?

Yeah, a braid is kind of a default. The point at the back of the trencher is too deep to accommodate a bun for me...

I'll let you know what I wind up settling on; hoefully it'll be helpful to you!

Do you know of an article or tutorial on doing a fishtail braid? I don't know how to do 'em...

I've always worn mine down for graduations, its just easier... but a braid or folded braid both work well with a mortarboard. The folded braid always feels more professional to me.

ETA: and saluting? who do you salute? I've never done that at a graduation before. Is that an Australian thing?

One more eta: if you've got a hood make sure to wear a button down shirt. Hoods usually have a nice little loop to hook onto a shirt so you don't get choked by the yards of fabric hanging around your throat. Its probably more relevant with the PhD hood as its bigger, but those little ones can start to get annoying too.

And another eta: actually, 2 side braids tucked into each other and kinda hanging down could be cute too. At BSL they'd probably look great!

Layers, shorter hair, and thick hair all combine to give me wuite a short braid with a long tassel. I haven't even tried a folded braid since I got it cut, so I really don't know if it'll work... I'll see though.

We salute the academic who is acting as "MC" when he reads our name, and then the Vice-Chancellor after they shake hands with us and give us our diploma. It's saluting in the sense of tipping your hat, not the military sense.

Hahahaha, ain't no way I'm letting them button it to my shirt! That's just asking for a wardrobe disaster! Ours get safety-pinned to the gown at strategic points to make sure they stay sitting right, so the button-loop is kind of irrelevant, except to make sure it stays flat underneath a tie.

I don't quite understand what you mean with the two side braids, but it sounds like it could be a very good idea. If I have two braids, they'll be much thinner, and therefore I'd be much more able to do something interesting with them...

That's what I wanted to suggest, too. A fish braid is different from the regular 3-strand, and won't get in the way of the cap.

For my graduation last autumn I made a low flipped ponytail (http://www.dressytresses.com/hair/gallery/instruct/hair-flip/default.asp). But when they put that cap on me, oh dear, I thought I looked totally bald from the front! :grnbiggri So I just let it loose. :o

I have a topsy-tailer, which is a loop on the end of a stick for doing just that style. One of the things I was playing with was the idea of doing that, and then tucking the ends back in. I sort of get a mess of ends, though. I've always felt the plain topsy-tailed ponytail looks really, really classy on straighter hair, but not quuite so much on my hair. I might have to rethink it....

Do a 4 strand braid (simple to learn, and you have enough length, it doesn't need to be more than 3 or 4" long), then fold it up, with the tassle ending up inside the roll, and skewer with a hairstick. It stays well, and is very low to the neck, but more interesting and special than a simple low bun. a three strand braid would probably work, but I like the look of a 4 strand more for this bun.

I got enough length, but too much thickness and layers >_o I don't think I can do a folded braid anymore... I'll give it another go, though.

Flynn
May 1st, 2010, 05:40 PM
I suggest doing a roll down each side to avoid the bald from the front issue and give you some volume, and then do a low pony and do one of those fantastic looking rope braids that is two ropes twined together. As for your layers, just have a long tassel at the end. Oiling beforehand may help keep your layers from going hawyire.

How about pins? Will you use bobby pins? Could you get some of the Good Days hair pins to try to control your layers?

I also like the Gibson tuck idea. It always looks ... elegant to me!

That's a pretty cool idea...

The layers were designed to break up the hemline and actually get my wurls to clump, so that's what they do. I don't get feathery frayed-braid layers, I get 1" clumps escaping all together! Hahahaha So, yeah, oil doesn't do the trick.

I always wore mine down as well. I'm graduating in a few weeks (the ceremony part, anyway - I actually defended my doctorate last September), and I plan to wear a half-up. I haven't picked up my tam yet, so plans may change accordingly once I've actually had a chance to try it on.

I've heard that about the button down shirt, but I'm not really sure what to do, since I don't even own one, much less plan to wear one. Also, no pockets in the robe, but a pocket-slit so you can access your nonexistent pockets? Sure seems like academic regalia are designed to be worn with men's clothing! I guess more experimentation will be in order.

So you call the flat hat a trencher? I've never heard that term before - they are mortarboards here. I got a silly tan from mine at my undergrad ceremony because I neglected sunscreen!

Congrats to all who are graduating!

Yay! Congrats to you too!

Is anyone you know graduating from the same uni before you? Our robes get safety-pinned into place, and I noticed that only one of the girls in DBF's ceremony wore a button-down shirt -- and she was a PhD graduand. The rest of them didn't, and didn't seem to have any problems. Their hoods sat exactly the same way as the guys' ones did.

I considered a half-up, but decided that to get it both low enough and secure enough, I'd need to incoprorate most of my hair, which really seems to defeat the purpose, doesn't it? Hahahaha.

Yeah, properly they're trenchers, though (influenced by American movies?) there are plenty of people who do call them mortarboards.

Have you thought about a nice rope braid over one shoulder?

Nice rope braid? Yes. Over one shoulder? No, it's too short, and too thick. It shrinks too much.

Fiferstone
May 1st, 2010, 05:55 PM
Torrin page has a 'vintage' hairdo among her tutorials which is basically a low topsy-tailed ponytail, and she wraps the "tail" repeatedly around itself so that it becomes a low bun in the center of the topsy-tail "pouf." That might work with your mortarboard.

I managed to do a low bun below my mortarboard when I graduated about a billion and a half years ago :). I also got to wear the same academic gown that had been my grandmother's (College of New Rochelle, class of 1928), which my mother then wore (College of New Rochelle, Class of 1956). I broke the tradition and went to Kenyon College instead, but it was still neat to wear their gown and be the third generation woman on my mom's side of the family to graduate from college. I have to digitize those pics still or I'd post them.

If all else fails, how about a french braid?

Congratulations on your graduation :blossom:

Juanita
May 1st, 2010, 06:14 PM
I was thinking Chinese braided bun.

TiaKitty
May 1st, 2010, 06:35 PM
Incredibly low infinity bun? An infinity-ish shape with two english braids, done very low on the neck.

papillon
May 1st, 2010, 06:44 PM

A June grad here. =) A friend suggested the low bun for graduation, but I don't think my hair's long enough. I'm thinking of leaving it down. I also don't think my hair is long enough to get caught in the hood. I'll probably have to do some trial runs.

I agree that wearing the mortarboard "on the back of the head" is absolutely silly.

Capybara
May 1st, 2010, 07:48 PM
I recently asked the same question for my graduation :D

I really like this updo, and it sits low enough that you can still wear the cap: Stardust Twist (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10925)

Flynn
May 1st, 2010, 09:09 PM
I recently asked the same question for my graduation :D

I really like this updo, and it sits low enough that you can still wear the cap: Stardust Twist (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10925)

Actually, that's what led to me trying a Gibson tuck with the rolls along the sides. My hair's too short and thick, it seems, to actually get the ends right for this style properly! I can't get the loop little enough! I absolutely love the look of this style, too.

What length were you at to do it? If you were above waist, did you modify it at all?

Oskimosa
May 1st, 2010, 11:03 PM
I have been playing with... well I guess they are "lace braids"? I braid diagonally down my hemline so that ... oh screw it I'll just post my crappy pics. I can't describe worth a toot.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_FegEvYoeN6E/S90GYi4cLfI/AAAAAAAAAFs/YEDrQjarHlU/s144/HPIM0361.JPG
This is how it lays. I could have played with it more, but I was just goofing around with it and didn't think I'd ever use these pics. Yes I'm too lazy to try again :p

I didn't take very good pix either.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_FegEvYoeN6E/S90GwWDKxVI/AAAAAAAAAFw/qeJinwF_NzQ/s144/HPIM0367.JPG

As you can see, it got cut off. But you just braid along the hemline, starting from one side of your hair and going along to the other. I was extremely sloppy and it started to fall out, and I was trying to take pics that showed the hemline so I propped it up (making it fall apart more) as seen here:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_FegEvYoeN6E/S90HPAqw4GI/AAAAAAAAAGk/nz6W9i9RU_A/s144/HPIM0368.JPG

But, anyhow, it's really simple, would be covert under your hat, and pulls around to the front. You could braid the end, or even make a braid in the front too and connect them. I played with that and it works very well. Didn't take pics of that though; again, I was just playing around. :shrug: I dunno, just throwing it out there!

IcarusBride
May 1st, 2010, 11:43 PM
I'm 'graduating' (associate's degree) this semester too, also like WEEKS AND WEEKS after the actual end of the semester (I will have already moved into my new apt. at the university I'm transferring to, and have to come back for commencement). I think I'm just going to wear my hair in a single french braid. Although I'll probably wear it up with a hairstick on the drive there, so the seat in my car won't rub it--> I really hate that feeling!
Congrats on your graduation!

Night_Kitten
May 2nd, 2010, 01:13 AM
If you can do a lazy wrap at the nape of the neck it might work - the bun is more horizontal, and the stick is also placed horizontally

hmmm
May 2nd, 2010, 02:29 AM
I once saw a hairstyle somewhere on this site that involved a topsy-tail, braided into three braids and folded up. It looked pretty cool, and it's simple to do. I'm sure it would work with your trencher.

KatKeRo
May 2nd, 2010, 03:11 AM
If you can french braid you can also do a french tuck. You tuck the braid underneath the french braiding part.

akka naeda
May 2nd, 2010, 03:28 AM
OK, I just went to a graduation a couple of days ago, two universities doing ceremonies at the same time. One lot had to wear mortarboards and the women (all ages, some lovely waist length S&P and white hair there:)) had their hair loose, it actually looked much nicer on them than the ones who weren't wearing mortarboards and had their hair down (they looked sloppy for some reason; really OT here, what was the worst thing was the number in killer heels who couldn't walk in them......)

If you can do a low bun at the nape of your neck then that'd be fine, if it was me I'd just do my standard low plait. If you do a French or Dutch plait it will make your head bigger because the hair will be bulked up there, but presumably they'll have varying sizes of mortarboards

I've never heard the word trencher either, in the UK they've always been mortarboards. Living near Oxford I guess it's something I just thought was the case everywhere:)

teela1978
May 2nd, 2010, 06:02 PM
My hair's a little long for it.... but I'm procrastinating on finishing up a manuscript so I messed around real quick :) Basically you tuck the braids to the root of where the first one was. Looks a bit more grown-up than 2 braids, and stays pretty well if you can pin the ends down good.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e117/lchamber78/Hair%20Length%20Shots/20100502_tuckedbraidsplaying-2.jpg
twisted version
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e117/lchamber78/Hair%20Length%20Shots/20100502_tuckedbraidsplaying.jpg

Flynn
May 2nd, 2010, 06:27 PM
Torrin page has a 'vintage' hairdo among her tutorials which is basically a low topsy-tailed ponytail, and she wraps the "tail" repeatedly around itself so that it becomes a low bun in the center of the topsy-tail "pouf." That might work with your mortarboard.

I managed to do a low bun below my mortarboard when I graduated about a billion and a half years ago :). I also got to wear the same academic gown that had been my grandmother's (College of New Rochelle, class of 1928), which my mother then wore (College of New Rochelle, Class of 1956). I broke the tradition and went to Kenyon College instead, but it was still neat to wear their gown and be the third generation woman on my mom's side of the family to graduate from college. I have to digitize those pics still or I'd post them.

If all else fails, how about a french braid?

Congratulations on your graduation :blossom:

^__^ Thanks!

That's really cool with the gown being handed down like that. ^__^ My cousin and I are the first women on either side of my family to actually graduate from university (mum started, deferred, and decided not to go back).

I haven't see that tutorial yet... I'll have a dig for it. It sounds perfect.

I think out trenchers have an unusually low point at the back. Perhaps this was deliberate to stop people from wearing them either backwards by accident, or tilted back...?

I was thinking Chinese braided bun.

I'll have to look up how to do it. I don't think it'll work with the trencher, but it's a style I can't do yet, but love the look of! ^__^

Incredibly low infinity bun? An infinity-ish shape with two english braids, done very low on the neck.

I couldn't do an infinity bun at hip... so I don't think I could do one now! Terrific idea, though. It would look so classy and be just perfect... TT^TT

Flynn
May 2nd, 2010, 06:32 PM
I have been playing with... well I guess they are "lace braids"? I braid diagonally down my hemline so that ... oh screw it I'll just post my crappy pics. I can't describe worth a toot.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_FegEvYoeN6E/S90GYi4cLfI/AAAAAAAAAFs/YEDrQjarHlU/s144/HPIM0361.JPG
This is how it lays. I could have played with it more, but I was just goofing around with it and didn't think I'd ever use these pics. Yes I'm too lazy to try again :p

I didn't take very good pix either.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_FegEvYoeN6E/S90GwWDKxVI/AAAAAAAAAFw/qeJinwF_NzQ/s144/HPIM0367.JPG

As you can see, it got cut off. But you just braid along the hemline, starting from one side of your hair and going along to the other. I was extremely sloppy and it started to fall out, and I was trying to take pics that showed the hemline so I propped it up (making it fall apart more) as seen here:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_FegEvYoeN6E/S90HPAqw4GI/AAAAAAAAAGk/nz6W9i9RU_A/s144/HPIM0368.JPG

But, anyhow, it's really simple, would be covert under your hat, and pulls around to the front. You could braid the end, or even make a braid in the front too and connect them. I played with that and it works very well. Didn't take pics of that though; again, I was just playing around. :shrug: I dunno, just throwing it out there!

That looks so cool! Especially if you could do one of those french-braided-like accent-lace-braid thingies starting from your front hairline, feeling in to the high part of the diagonal... that's really neat! I'm definitely going to have a bit of a mess around with that idea!

I'm 'graduating' (associate's degree) this semester too, also like WEEKS AND WEEKS after the actual end of the semester (I will have already moved into my new apt. at the university I'm transferring to, and have to come back for commencement). I think I'm just going to wear my hair in a single french braid. Although I'll probably wear it up with a hairstick on the drive there, so the seat in my car won't rub it--> I really hate that feeling!
Congrats on your graduation!

Thanks! You too!

Yeah, this isnt even a case of weeks and weeks, but months. My thesis was submitted and my final exams were sat in early October last year.

If you can do a lazy wrap at the nape of the neck it might work - the bun is more horizontal, and the stick is also placed horizontally

I never mastered the lazy wrap; I might need to give it another shot.

Flynn
May 2nd, 2010, 06:42 PM
I once saw a hairstyle somewhere on this site that involved a topsy-tail, braided into three braids and folded up. It looked pretty cool, and it's simple to do. I'm sure it would work with your trencher.

I completely forgot about that one! I know it as In Timely Fashion's Gibson Braids (http://www.intimelyfashion.com/hair/gibsonbraid.htm). That might be what I end up going with, actually.

If you can french braid you can also do a french tuck. You tuck the braid underneath the french braiding part.

Yeah, but that kind of bulks it up even more... and I don't know how that sort of distorted head-shape will play with a trencher... It is a style I love, though!

OK, I just went to a graduation a couple of days ago, two universities doing ceremonies at the same time. One lot had to wear mortarboards and the women (all ages, some lovely waist length S&P and white hair there:)) had their hair loose, it actually looked much nicer on them than the ones who weren't wearing mortarboards and had their hair down (they looked sloppy for some reason; really OT here, what was the worst thing was the number in killer heels who couldn't walk in them......)

If you can do a low bun at the nape of your neck then that'd be fine, if it was me I'd just do my standard low plait. If you do a French or Dutch plait it will make your head bigger because the hair will be bulked up there, but presumably they'll have varying sizes of mortarboards

I've never heard the word trencher either, in the UK they've always been mortarboards. Living near Oxford I guess it's something I just thought was the case everywhere:)

Mmm, trencher seems to be standard across Australian universities... Maybe we have our own word for a change, rather than borrowing a British one! ;p

Yeah, you've hit my problem on the head there: regardless of how it looks to someone else, I just feel a bit sloppy and casual with my hair down -- not quite right for the occasion! I feel even more daggy with my usual straight-down plait...

Hahahaha, yeah, the girls in heels who just can't walk right in them are really funny! It's sort of like "Yeah, they do look great, but you didn't really think that one through, did you?"

I've already tried one of our trenchers on (in the correct size for me), and the point at the back is very low. My usual way of bunning interferes with it. I'd have to get it so low that I could't really anchor it to anything... and I just can't get buns to stay unless they're anchored to scalp-hair....

Flynn
May 2nd, 2010, 06:44 PM
My hair's a little long for it.... but I'm procrastinating on finishing up a manuscript so I messed around real quick :) Basically you tuck the braids to the root of where the first one was. Looks a bit more grown-up than 2 braids, and stays pretty well if you can pin the ends down good.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e117/lchamber78/Hair%20Length%20Shots/20100502_tuckedbraidsplaying-2.jpg
twisted version
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e117/lchamber78/Hair%20Length%20Shots/20100502_tuckedbraidsplaying.jpg

Oh! I see! Like inverted Heidi-braids! On my length, I can see how that could work well.

Capybara
May 2nd, 2010, 07:05 PM
Actually, that's what led to me trying a Gibson tuck with the rolls along the sides. My hair's too short and thick, it seems, to actually get the ends right for this style properly! I can't get the loop little enough! I absolutely love the look of this style, too.

What length were you at to do it? If you were above waist, did you modify it at all?

I was at hip, but I thought that it would have worked better with shorter hair because the loop part was difficult to get looking the right size. In the end, I just made a bun, then put the loop under it. It wasn't as pretty as the original, though, but I was still satisfied :)

Flynn
May 2nd, 2010, 07:12 PM
I was at hip, but I thought that it would have worked better with shorter hair because the loop part was difficult to get looking the right size. In the end, I just made a bun, then put the loop under it. It wasn't as pretty as the original, though, but I was still satisfied :)

Do you have a picture of the finished style kicking around? (No worries if you don't!)

Flynn
May 5th, 2010, 10:23 PM
Gaaah! How do you get those rolls right without all the hair on top pouffing up?!

hmmm
May 6th, 2010, 03:37 AM
You could either try doing them tighter, or in the opposite direction (from the one that makes them poof up).

TiaKitty
May 6th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Could you clip the low point on your trencher? Or fold it under, at least!!!

BattahZ
May 6th, 2010, 08:09 AM
For graduations, I've always worn my hair down and just bobby-pinned my cap a bit farther back on my head. Then after the ceremony I can whip it off and my hair isn't too messed up. Use lots of pins and it'll be fine!

Flynn
May 6th, 2010, 06:52 PM
You could either try doing them tighter, or in the opposite direction (from the one that makes them poof up).

Gave it a shot... rolling them down rather than up just comes out a little odd-looking, hahahaha. Also, it turns out that the tighter I do it, the more puff I get. Mnnnmnmmm... I think I just need another set of hands.

Flynn
May 6th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Could you clip the low point on your trencher? Or fold it under, at least!!!

I don't understand what you mean...

For graduations, I've always worn my hair down and just bobby-pinned my cap a bit farther back on my head. Then after the ceremony I can whip it off and my hair isn't too messed up. Use lots of pins and it'll be fine!

It has to come off during the ceremony.

It has nothing to do with hair being messed up... I am simply not comfortable with wearing it down.

hmmm
May 7th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Okay I tried doing the rolls myself, and this really works well for me - instead of rolling the whole thing, separate it into two strands at a time, twisting them around each other, and keep adding more strands as you go along. It's like a rope braid, but you twist everything the same way. I hope this makes sense.

Flynn
May 7th, 2010, 06:36 AM
Okay I tried doing the rolls myself, and this really works well for me - instead of rolling the whole thing, separate it into two strands at a time, twisting them around each other, and keep adding more strands as you go along. It's like a rope braid, but you twist everything the same way. I hope this makes sense.

Ah, clever! A "french" rope braid without the counter-twisting of the strands, right? I can see that working well! I'll definitely give it a shot... mmm, in the morning.

Flynn
May 11th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Update: I've managed both an ultra-low bun, by anchoring it to a hairtie, and -- finally! -- a Gibson tuck.... Both fit with the trencher, but I can't stand the feel of either of them.

So that's two options definitely out. I'm still trying to get that Stardust 'do to work... and I'm wondering whether an inverted Gibson tuck might be better.

Mely
May 11th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Don't wear it down because it will cover your hood.

Flynn
May 12th, 2010, 01:20 AM
Don't wear it down because it will cover your hood.

Heehee, yeah...

EtherealOde
May 12th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Maybe an elegant solution would be a snood? You could wear that with the flipped pony, as if you were going to do a gibson tuck, and pin the snood in place with something really pretty. Depending on what your gown is made of, you could go with the net type, or go more formal with silk or velvet. I think that would solve the issue with loose ends to, because it would all be contained within the snood at the nape, and yet there wouldn't be a hairstick or clip to get in the way of the cap at the back as the snood would hang.

Nymphie
May 12th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Here's a link on braid instructions, saw you said you didn't know how to do a fishtail braid. http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/Braiding_Tips.htm I can't do any of them yet, but you might find something you like. :)

teela1978
May 12th, 2010, 10:14 AM
I changed my mind. You should definitely try for something like this :)
http://www.graziadaily.co.uk/pub/21publish/beauty/gaga-main_0.jpg

Climber
May 12th, 2010, 10:51 AM
I have to deal with this every year because I'm faculty. My mortarboard style of choice is a simple french braid, then I fold it under and secure with a scrunchie. The silly hat fits just fine then, and it doesn't cover up my hood.

Congratulations!

Sarahmoon
May 12th, 2010, 10:55 AM
The more I read here, the more thankful I am we don't use those hats and robes in my country for graduates. Anyway, congrats and I hope you'll find a style you like.

And Teela, LOL :laugh:

Flynn
May 12th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Maybe an elegant solution would be a snood? You could wear that with the flipped pony, as if you were going to do a gibson tuck, and pin the snood in place with something really pretty. Depending on what your gown is made of, you could go with the net type, or go more formal with silk or velvet. I think that would solve the issue with loose ends to, because it would all be contained within the snood at the nape, and yet there wouldn't be a hairstick or clip to get in the way of the cap at the back as the snood would hang.

Snoods have too many religious connotations. They're very rare here, outside of "Christian" cults, which is a bit of a shame. They are pretty, and very elegant.

Here's a link on braid instructions, saw you said you didn't know how to do a fishtail braid. http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/Braiding_Tips.htm I can't do any of them yet, but you might find something you like. :)

Thankyou! ^____^

I changed my mind. You should definitely try for something like this :)
http://www.graziadaily.co.uk/pub/21publish/beauty/gaga-main_0.jpg

Hahahaha, oooh, yeah. Just need a square form, rather than the round one. I could even do the tassel with no problems: a braid with a long...erm, tassel, hahaha, coming out of the centre. Now, where's that jar of black dye...

Flynn
May 12th, 2010, 05:51 PM
I have to deal with this every year because I'm faculty. My mortarboard style of choice is a simple french braid, then I fold it under and secure with a scrunchie. The silly hat fits just fine then, and it doesn't cover up my hood.

Congratulations!

^__^ Thanks!

A few people have suggested the French braid... I may give it a shot. The point on our trenchers at the back is abnormally deep, (it sits only about 2 cm above my first vertebra!) so I don't think I'd be able to fold the braid under; too much bulk for it to fit.

The more I read here, the more thankful I am we don't use those hats and robes in my country for graduates. Anyway, congrats and I hope you'll find a style you like.

And Teela, LOL :laugh:

Hahahaha, you guys are slightly more modern, I take it? ;p (these hats and robes are modelled on the garb of the medieval clergy.)

Thanks! ^__^

hmmm
May 13th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Lol, you should post pictures of whatever you go with, especially if it's like what teela suggested.

Flynn
May 14th, 2010, 06:43 AM
Lol, you should post pictures of whatever you go with, especially if it's like what teela suggested.

Oh, yep. It's unfair not to after asking too many questions of you guys about it.

Henrietta
May 18th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Try something simple. I am at BSL and personally Im going to show off with my new hairstick, really ornamented, and wear low nautilus bun. With this bun you still will be able to wear a trencher I believe.

Flynn
May 21st, 2010, 12:23 AM
Try something simple. I am at BSL and personally Im going to show off with my new hairstick, really ornamented, and wear low nautilus bun. With this bun you still will be able to wear a trencher I believe.

Great idea, but nope. It doesn't fit. Our trenchers have a very low point at the back.

Nightshade
May 21st, 2010, 07:34 AM
My sister did a Victorian Updo (http://www.dressytresses.com/hair/gallery/instruct/victorian-updo/)for hers and it worked out great!:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_qbGfxZc8SsY/S_aLye03LJI/AAAAAAAAAXg/VJYjzWwLTd8/VictorianGraduation.jpg

pdy2kn6
May 22nd, 2010, 01:18 AM
my grads in july (july 6th). Do you think theres enough room to wear a bun (any type of bun) low down, fitting below the cap? I haven't actually tried the cap on, and won't be able to until the day, I just hope there ill be enough room for my bun...

Capybara
May 22nd, 2010, 07:22 AM
My sister did a Victorian Updo (http://www.dressytresses.com/hair/gallery/instruct/victorian-updo/)for hers and it worked out great!:
*snipped picture*

Wow, that looks so good! It sits right at the perfect spot to not interfere with the cap :)

Nightshade
May 24th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Wow, that looks so good! It sits right at the perfect spot to not interfere with the cap :)

She got oodles of compliments on it! I was put in charge of her hair for the day, so that's what I thought would work best and also look very classy and unique. She has SUCH thick hair, though, the only pain in the butt was finding a barrette that covered the pocket.